Song of the Week Calendar. Thanks to everyone who participated

HolidayContradiction

Note: Calendar of songs is located at the bottom of this post.

We know that a lot of you have missed it, so we will be bringing Song of the Week back! This time around we're opening SOTW up to anyone and everyone who wants to take a song and make it their own. Heres how it'll work.

Me, Ben(Deathstroke) and Lone will be maintaining this post for songs that will go a month out. If you see a song that you'd like to write the OP(Opening post in the thread) for, it is important that you send your application in one (not three) PM to Ben, Lone and me. We want it to be as easy as possible, because who would do it if it were too complicated?

In a way this will be a weekly competition where the best application get to write the whole OP and post it when its due to be posted. In the application, we want to see your first paragraph, shortly about your personal reason to want to write it and we want to see an outline as to where you'll go next. You don't have to write out the whole thing (and, please, don't), but we need to see your ideas and direction for the thread.

Here is approximately how we would like the post to be:

First paragraph: Basic song info. What album was the song off of? Who wrote it? Was it a single, and if so, how did it do in the charts? Was there anything particularly noteworthy about this song?

Second paragraph: Meanings. Has the band talked about the song's meaning? If so, what did they say? If they haven't talked about it, what do you think the song is about? Most importantly of all, what does this song mean to you? Why did you want to write the OP for it?

Third paragraph: Anything else you want to say about the song. Maybe it's a song that you think was a forerunner to Green Day's later music. Maybe it's the only Green Day song without any lyrics. Maybe Billie Joe decided to take a minute halfway through this song and smash his guitar. Whatever you'd like to say about this song that isn't covered above.

And, of course, the OP should end with the song's lyrics and a YouTube video of the song being performed live. If a live performance of the song hasn't been documented, then use a lyric video or something like that.

The applications are due every Sunday in the week before its supposed to be posted. This is so that we have time to look through the applications, let the best contestant know and they have time to write the whole OP before the next Sunday.

Oh, and did we mention this is a SOTW reboot? That means that all Green Day songs are back on the table, so if you missed out on the Jesus of Suburbia or Minority discussions last time around, here's your chance! If there's a song you'd like to see on the calendar, reply here with it. Just understand that we're not going to do JOS, Homecoming, Basket Case and Good Riddance in the first four weeks!

We will announce what songs we are taking applications for here, so check in every week if you'd like to participate!

2/24/2013: Holiday - written by me

3/3/2013: Maria - written by Ben

3/10/2013: Longview - written by Katie

3/17/2013: American Eulogy - written by Stan

3/24/2013: 1,000 Hours - written by Todd

3/31/2013: Scattered - written by Ceadog

4/07/2013: Geek Stink Breath - written by musso_kn

4/14/2013: Castaway - written by José

4/21/2013: X-Kid - written by Backseat Coberator :lol:

4/28/2013: Ha Ha You're Dead - written by Jude

5/5/2013: Android - written by Fae

5/12/2013: Are We The Waiting - written by James

5/19/2013: She - written by Garet

5/26/2013: Brain Stew - written by kaylubd

6/09/2013: ¡Viva la Gloria! - written by Maria Gloria

6/16/2013: Macy's Day Parade - written by Sarcasm

7/24/2013: Rusty James - written by Abir

8/4/2013: Only of You - written by The Tman

8/11/2013: Restless Heart Syndrome - written by Asa Troublemaker

8/18/2013: All By Myself written by Sarcasm

9/1/2013: Wake me up when September Ends written by Overjoyyed

9/8/2013: Minority (Taking applications until September 1st)

Feel free to start applying! You don't have to wait until the last day. If it's a song a couple of weeks out you would like to write the OP for, you can apply as soon as it's announced that the song will be up :)

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yay! I loved song of the week! Good to see it back! Maybe I'll be able to do one over spring break. :shifty:

Oh yes! :dance: this is so great and I love that we get to be a part of it! Thanks guys, can't wait!

i would love love love to write about "she"

I can't promise it will be up next week, but I'll put it on the list sometime soon

I don't know about you guys, but for SotW, I want every single fucking fact about the song in that post. This is a cool opportunity to learn about every song, one song at a time. The first SotW posts from long ago, they really sucked. They didn't have anything interesting about them, they were missing info, and they just sucked. I'm just worried with different people writing for different songs, that there will be no standard. There could be an older fan that does an excellent post with tons of facts and meaning, or a newer fan that doesn't know their facts, doesn't think deep into the meaning, or just leaves stuff out. Or the other way around. I think it should be just 1-3 people writing posts for every song.

I don't know about you guys, but for SotW, I want every single fucking fact about the song in that post. This is a cool opportunity to learn about every song, one song at a time. The first SotW posts from long ago, they really sucked. They didn't have anything interesting about them, they were missing info, and they just sucked. I'm just worried with different people writing for different songs, that there will be no standard. There could be an older fan that does an excellent post with tons of facts and meaning, or a newer fan that doesn't know their facts, doesn't think deep into the meaning, or just leaves stuff out. Or the other way around. I think it should be just 1-3 people writing posts for every song.

Well then, when one person posts the OP and you feel like something is missing, you can have the joy of posting anything you feel they may have missed, underneath.

You know that is the reason why we ask people to apply. We won't pick people on random, but we will pick someone who seems to know what they are talking about in their application. So if you feel like you have a lot to say about the songs that will be next(Longview or American Eulogy for now), we will love to take your application and if it's great you might get the honor of posting the final OP for the song

Then apply to write one.

Also, we do screen to make sure people aren't writing "Good Riddance is teh greatest song EVAR kthxbye"...

Well the standard was pretty well laid out in the opening post and as it has to be submitted to the mods, then I anticipate that any poor reviews should be picked up at that stage. I personally look forward to newer members doing some research and maybe enlightening me on a different interpretation of an older song. I look forward to their fresh ideas. I think GD songs belong to all this community and should not just be limited to 1- 3 people picking them and writing posts for every song.

You know that is the reason why we ask people to apply. We won't pick people on random, but we will pick someone who seems to know what they are talking about in their application. So if you feel like you have a lot to say about the songs that will be next(Longview or American Eulogy for now), we will love to take your application and if it's great you might get the honor of posting the final OP for the song

I'll apply, but not for these songs. Thanks for all the replies, everyone else

I'll apply, but not for these songs. Thanks for all the replies, everyone else

well if you have any songs you want to apply for let us know and we'll add them in the near future :)

Oh I like this!!!!!! I will definitely apply to a song at some point :D

i'd love to write about American Eulogy or longview or any song for that matter

Awesome. You can send a message to me and Ben where you've written the first paragraph and a live video of the song by Sunday for Longview and the week after that for American Eulogy. Maybe you get to write the whole OP and post it! :)

Thanks!

(1000 Hours?!?) :lol:

Sure, we'll add it soon

Archived