Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Voting has started in the Karaoke Contest. Listen to the entries and vote for your favorite.

Photo

Song of the Week Calendar. Thanks to everyone who participated

Song of the Week

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
147 replies to this topic

HolidayContradiction

HolidayContradiction
  • I know

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,239 posts
  • Joined Apr 28, 2012
  • 691 rep

POPULAR

Note: Calendar of songs is located at the bottom of this post.

We know that a lot of you have missed it, so we will be bringing Song of the Week back! This time around we're opening SOTW up to anyone and everyone who wants to take a song and make it their own. Heres how it'll work.

Me, Ben(Deathstroke) and Lone will be maintaining this post for songs that will go a month out. If you see a song that you'd like to write the OP(Opening post in the thread) for, it is important that you send your application in one (not three) PM to Ben, Lone and me. We want it to be as easy as possible, because who would do it if it were too complicated?

In a way this will be a weekly competition where the best application get to write the whole OP and post it when its due to be posted. In the application, we want to see your first paragraph, shortly about your personal reason to want to write it and we want to see an outline as to where you'll go next. You don't have to write out the whole thing (and, please, don't), but we need to see your ideas and direction for the thread.

Here is approximately how we would like the post to be:

First paragraph: Basic song info. What album was the song off of? Who wrote it? Was it a single, and if so, how did it do in the charts? Was there anything particularly noteworthy about this song?

Second paragraph: Meanings. Has the band talked about the song's meaning? If so, what did they say? If they haven't talked about it, what do you think the song is about? Most importantly of all, what does this song mean to you? Why did you want to write the OP for it?

Third paragraph: Anything else you want to say about the song. Maybe it's a song that you think was a forerunner to Green Day's later music. Maybe it's the only Green Day song without any lyrics. Maybe Billie Joe decided to take a minute halfway through this song and smash his guitar. Whatever you'd like to say about this song that isn't covered above.
And, of course, the OP should end with the song's lyrics and a YouTube video of the song being performed live. If a live performance of the song hasn't been documented, then use a lyric video or something like that.

The applications are due every Sunday in the week before its supposed to be posted. This is so that we have time to look through the applications, let the best contestant know and they have time to write the whole OP before the next Sunday.

Oh, and did we mention this is a SOTW reboot? That means that all Green Day songs are back on the table, so if you missed out on the Jesus of Suburbia or Minority discussions last time around, here's your chance! If there's a song you'd like to see on the calendar, reply here with it. Just understand that we're not going to do JOS, Homecoming, Basket Case and Good Riddance in the first four weeks!

We will announce what songs we are taking applications for here, so check in every week if you'd like to participate!

2/24/2013: Holiday - written by me

3/3/2013: Maria - written by Ben

3/10/2013: Longview - written by Katie

3/17/2013: American Eulogy - written by Stan

3/24/2013: 1,000 Hours - written by Todd

3/31/2013: Scattered - written by Ceadog

4/07/2013: Geek Stink Breath - written by musso_kn

4/14/2013: Castaway - written by José

4/21/2013: X-Kid - written by Backseat Coberator :lol:

4/28/2013: Ha Ha You're Dead  - written by Jude

5/5/2013: Android - written by Fae

5/12/2013: Are We The Waiting - written by James

5/19/2013: She - written by Garet

5/26/2013: Brain Stew - written by kaylubd

6/09/2013: ¡Viva la Gloria!written by Maria Gloria

6/16/2013: Macy's Day Parade - written by Sarcasm

7/24/2013: Rusty James - written by Abir

8/4/2013: Only of You - written by The Tman

8/11/2013: Restless Heart Syndrome - written by Asa Troublemaker

8/18/2013: All By Myself written by Sarcasm

9/1/2013: Wake me up when September Ends written by Overjoyyed

9/8/2013: Minority (Taking applications until September 1st)

Feel free to start applying! You don't have to wait until the last day. If it's a song a couple of weeks out you would like to write the OP for, you can apply as soon as it's announced that the song will be up :)
  • justcause, pasalaska, Hermione and 23 others like this

JIGD13

JIGD13
  • I Turned into a Martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,788 posts
  • Joined Jul 02, 2012
  • 2,602 rep

Yes! It's back

• RedStrokes likes this

Ritz

Ritz
  • I am the motherfucking best- Mike Dirnt.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,111 posts
  • Joined Mar 27, 2012
  • 7,480 rep
I'm so happy that its back. I missed it so much :D
  • November's Storms likes this

Green Day In Seattle

Green Day In Seattle
  • fuckdatshit

• 3,996 posts
  • Joined Aug 27, 2012
  • 2,902 rep
Yay! I loved song of the week! Good to see it back! Maybe I'll be able to do one over spring break. :shifty:

Kill_the_Kia

Kill_the_Kia
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,225 posts
  • Joined Sep 15, 2012
  • 754 rep
Yesss :)

Mary711

Mary711
  • Living for the next show

• 8,480 posts
  • Joined Jun 30, 2010
  • 2,363 rep
Great to hear it's back!

ThibautDookie

ThibautDookie
  • Die hard fan of rare interviews and rare pics of Green Day

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,718 posts
  • Joined Feb 20, 2012
  • 7,451 rep

Nice !

Mandy_PunkRock

Mandy_PunkRock
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,949 posts
  • Joined Jun 27, 2012
  • 1,268 rep

Yay! It's back! I love this! :D

Mar

Mar
  • Streets ahead

• 18,440 posts
  • Joined Jul 23, 2009
  • 5,137 rep

I like this new format! :D

Gwen Stacy

Gwen Stacy
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts
  • Joined Jun 20, 2010
  • 961 rep

This makes me happy! Thanks guys :)

kaylubd

kaylubd
  • Resident Shultz/Bellamy Enthusiast

• 6,337 posts
  • Joined Feb 02, 2012
  • 2,484 rep

Oh yes! :dance: this is so great and I love that we get to be a part of it! Thanks guys, can't wait!

Overjoyyed

Overjoyyed
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts
  • Joined Oct 10, 2012
  • 517 rep

i would love love love to write about "she"

HolidayContradiction

HolidayContradiction
  • I know

• 2,239 posts
  • Joined Apr 28, 2012
  • 691 rep

i would love love love to write about "she"

I can't promise it will be up next week, but I'll put it on the list sometime soon

Overjoyyed

Overjoyyed
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts
  • Joined Oct 10, 2012
  • 517 rep

that's great. I am not in  a rush.

Todd

Todd
  • Sweet and Sour Children

• 13,302 posts
  • Joined Mar 07, 2012
  • 6,126 rep

I don't know about you guys, but for SotW, I want every single fucking fact about the song in that post. This is a cool opportunity to learn about every song, one song at a time. The first SotW posts from long ago, they really sucked. They didn't have anything interesting about them, they were missing info, and they just sucked. I'm just worried with different people writing for different songs, that there will be no standard. There could be an older fan that does an excellent post with tons of facts and meaning, or a newer fan that doesn't know their facts, doesn't think deep into the meaning, or just leaves stuff out. Or the other way around.  I think it should be just 1-3 people writing posts for every song. 

Advertising

Vesper

Vesper
  • Outlander

• 18,049 posts
  • Joined Jun 10, 2010
  • 6,677 rep

I don't know about you guys, but for SotW, I want every single fucking fact about the song in that post. This is a cool opportunity to learn about every song, one song at a time. The first SotW posts from long ago, they really sucked. They didn't have anything interesting about them, they were missing info, and they just sucked. I'm just worried with different people writing for different songs, that there will be no standard. There could be an older fan that does an excellent post with tons of facts and meaning, or a newer fan that doesn't know their facts, doesn't think deep into the meaning, or just leaves stuff out. Or the other way around.  I think it should be just 1-3 people writing posts for every song. 

Well then, when one person posts the OP and you feel like something is missing, you can have the joy of posting anything you feel they may have missed, underneath. 

• Todd likes this

HolidayContradiction

HolidayContradiction
  • I know

• 2,239 posts
  • Joined Apr 28, 2012
  • 691 rep

You know that is the reason why we ask people to apply. We won't pick people on random, but we will pick someone who seems to know what they are talking about in their application. So if you feel like you have a lot to say about the songs that will be next(Longview or American Eulogy for now), we will love to take your application and if it's great you might get the honor of posting the final OP for the song

Tre's Busted Drumkit

Tre's Busted Drumkit
  • "ben's actually a giant teddy bear" -Lone

• 8,808 posts
  • Joined Feb 25, 2010
  • 4,649 rep

Then apply to write one.

Also, we do screen to make sure people aren't writing "Good Riddance is teh greatest song EVAR kthxbye"...

Shadowiegirl

Shadowiegirl
  • I beg to dream and differ

• 7,345 posts
  • Joined Apr 05, 2005
  • 112 rep

Well  the standard was pretty well laid out in the opening post and as it has to be submitted to the mods, then I anticipate that any poor reviews should be picked up at that stage. I personally look forward to newer members doing some research and maybe enlightening me on a different  interpretation of an older song. I look forward to their fresh ideas. I think GD songs belong to all this community and should not just be limited to 1- 3 people picking them and writing posts for every song.

• HolidayContradiction likes this

Todd

Todd

• 13,302 posts
  • Joined Mar 07, 2012
  • 6,126 rep

You know that is the reason why we ask people to apply. We won't pick people on random, but we will pick someone who seems to know what they are talking about in their application. So if you feel like you have a lot to say about the songs that will be next(Longview or American Eulogy for now), we will love to take your application and if it's great you might get the honor of posting the final OP for the song

I'll apply, but not for these songs. Thanks for all the replies, everyone else

HolidayContradiction

HolidayContradiction
  • I know

• 2,239 posts
  • Joined Apr 28, 2012
  • 691 rep

I'll apply, but not for these songs. Thanks for all the replies, everyone else

well if you have any songs you want to apply for let us know and we'll add them in the near future :)

Todd

Todd

• 13,302 posts
  • Joined Mar 07, 2012
  • 6,126 rep

well if you have any songs you want to apply for let us know and we'll add them in the near future :)

Thanks!

(1000 Hours?!?)  :lol:

ChelseaDagger

ChelseaDagger
  • boulevard of sweet ass creams

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,117 posts
  • Joined Jul 13, 2009
  • 2,214 rep

Oh I like this!!!!!! I will definitely apply to a song at some point :D

Westside Highway

Westside Highway
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Joined Feb 26, 2013
  • 43 rep

i'd love to write about American Eulogy or longview or any song for that matter

HolidayContradiction

HolidayContradiction
  • I know

• 2,239 posts
  • Joined Apr 28, 2012
  • 691 rep

i'd love to write about American Eulogy or longview or any song for that matter

Awesome. You can send a message to me and Ben where you've written the first paragraph and a live video of the song by Sunday for Longview and the week after that for American Eulogy. Maybe you get to write the whole OP and post it! :)

Thanks!

(1000 Hours?!?)  :lol:

Sure, we'll add it soon

bjrules

bjrules
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts
  • Joined Feb 28, 2007
  • 304 rep
Hey, I might give this a go one week! None of the songs on the list are really calling out to me, but if Macy's Day Parade gets listed, then I might try and have a go :) Or Scattered or Letterbomb. Hmm.
  • Overjoyyed likes this

Jude O'Reilly

Jude O'Reilly
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts
  • Joined Feb 13, 2013
  • 369 rep
  • Location:A Wasteland I Like to Call My Home. (Ontario, Canada)

I'll defiantly try this out when theres songs that I want to, this week's stuff isn't calling out to me. Cool idea though great way to get the community involved.

flippleth

flippleth
  • Welcome to Paradise

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Joined May 05, 2009
  • 3 rep

i know i just started posting here (you can read my introductory hello at the welcome to paradise forum) but I have quite a lot of experience writing. I love just about every green day song ever written, although to be honest there are a handful from the trilogy I skip over as well as a couple off of 21st CB.

I went through a pretty emotional time (breaking up with my girlfriend of 2 years) days before TRE was released. I love the album, it is my favorite of the trilogy I think (although DOS has been creeping it's way up there) I loved the song Brutal Love right away. The simple opening guitar chords under that great, classic vocal melody with Billie nailing his vocals. The old-fashioned rock and roll ballad feel that blooms as the song builds with a brass section (I love it when green Day experiments). And that beautifully dark guitar solo that becomes the same melody as the key changes and Billie bellows "Drop out, drop dead hideous...how low is this brutal love?" with those what I call "off chords" spliced in perfectly to give the song that grand, chaotic but melodic dark ending to what began as a simplistic wounded love song. Having said that, I heard the song before this big emotional blow-out with my now ex-girlfriend happened. But the words took on so much more meaning, as if it was written specifically for the crazy situation (and it was crazy, believe me haha) that i was experiencing. My emotions were a mess and I was drinking too much, but that song i listened to on repeat. The beginning would ease me into a fragile but comforting emotional state while the end of the song vented my frustrations and anger toward the situation. It was a perfect song. The whole album aided me in that time of need, with songs applying to my situation (brutal love, missing you, drama queen, walk away) I even gained a great appreciation for the forgotten as a great ending of the trilogy with the lyrics. I let go of my expectations and accepted the maturity and expression of green day's art as a still-stunning, even more beautiful gift we should all be thankful to have such a great band in our lives. 

Sorry for the tangent, I guess my point is I would love to write about any song, when I get my thoughts collected I'll make a list of songs I feel I would be able to do a great write-up for. I just think Brutal Love has not been written about or praised fully by the green day community (from what i've seen) and seeing as it's the first song on the last album of the trilogy, I thought it would be a good choice. But obviously you can see my personal bias. But it's these personal connections a fan has with these songs that I think make for great perspective in terms of relating to a song and for other fans to become aware of the deeper dimensions the song possesses. :)

Dirntbag

Dirntbag
  • Unsuspicious Individual

• 3,155 posts
  • Joined Jan 15, 2012
  • 2,992 rep

OooohoooOooooHooooOOooooHHHHhhh yeah I'll probably do this if I remember.

And we can apply more than once right?

HolidayContradiction

HolidayContradiction
  • I know

• 2,239 posts
  • Joined Apr 28, 2012
  • 691 rep

i know i just started posting here (you can read my introductory hello at the welcome to paradise forum) but I have quite a lot of experience writing. I love just about every green day song ever written, although to be honest there are a handful from the trilogy I skip over as well as a couple off of 21st CB.
I went through a pretty emotional time (breaking up with my girlfriend of 2 years) days before TRE was released. I love the album, it is my favorite of the trilogy I think (although DOS has been creeping it's way up there) I loved the song Brutal Love right away. The simple opening guitar chords under that great, classic vocal melody with Billie nailing his vocals. The old-fashioned rock and roll ballad feel that blooms as the song builds with a brass section (I love it when green Day experiments). And that beautifully dark guitar solo that becomes the same melody as the key changes and Billie bellows "Drop out, drop dead hideous...how low is this brutal love?" with those what I call "off chords" spliced in perfectly to give the song that grand, chaotic but melodic dark ending to what began as a simplistic wounded love song. Having said that, I heard the song before this big emotional blow-out with my now ex-girlfriend happened. But the words took on so much more meaning, as if it was written specifically for the crazy situation (and it was crazy, believe me haha) that i was experiencing. My emotions were a mess and I was drinking too much, but that song i listened to on repeat. The beginning would ease me into a fragile but comforting emotional state while the end of the song vented my frustrations and anger toward the situation. It was a perfect song. The whole album aided me in that time of need, with songs applying to my situation (brutal love, missing you, drama queen, walk away) I even gained a great appreciation for the forgotten as a great ending of the trilogy with the lyrics. I let go of my expectations and accepted the maturity and expression of green day's art as a still-stunning, even more beautiful gift we should all be thankful to have such a great band in our lives. 
Sorry for the tangent, I guess my point is I would love to write about any song, when I get my thoughts collected I'll make a list of songs I feel I would be able to do a great write-up for. I just think Brutal Love has not been written about or praised fully by the green day community (from what i've seen) and seeing as it's the first song on the last album of the trilogy, I thought it would be a good choice. But obviously you can see my personal bias. But it's these personal connections a fan has with these songs that I think make for great perspective in terms of relating to a song and for other fans to become aware of the deeper dimensions the song possesses. :)

Sounds great, we will add a song from thr trilogy sometime in thr near futre. Maybe it could be brutal love.

OooohoooOooooHooooOOooooHHHHhhh yeah I'll probably do this if I remember.

And we can apply more than once right?

Yes you can apply for every goddamn dong if you'd like :)
  • Dirntbag likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Song of the Week

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users