Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Google Glasses

News Debate

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

Vesper

Vesper
  • Outlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,994 posts
  • Joined Jun 10, 2010
  • 6,616 rep

Article about the new "google glasses". 

And the demo video:

Anybody else think this is really stupid? How annoying would it be to have something in the corner of your vision, constantly?

LazyPhil

LazyPhil
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts
  • Joined Sep 18, 2010
  • 503 rep

I think it's actually pretty cool! And I guess it doesn't have to be constantly in the corner of your vision.

JIGD13

JIGD13
  • I Turned into a Martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,787 posts
  • Joined Jul 02, 2012
  • 2,602 rep

It seems pretty awesome but the fact of the corner thing it's useful but after a long time it would become disturbing, anyways I would buy it if it wasn't expensive

The Desing is awful

tumblr_mij7aai0Pb1s4r1l6o1_1280.png

Bastard of 1967

Bastard of 1967
  • Hero For The Lost Cause

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,834 posts
  • Joined Apr 07, 2009
  • 2,578 rep

POPULAR

And the demo video:

http_://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1uyQZNg2vE&feature=player_embedded#!

Anybody else think this is really stupid? How annoying would it be to have something in the corner of your vision, constantly?

I think this is what The Static Age is all about.  We already spend too much time sitting next to our loved ones texting away, and now Google wants to shove even more noise in front of our faces 24x7?  The hell with that.

• The Snark, Rosie May, Daughter.of.Rage.and.Love and 5 others like this

Sleeper Agent.

Sleeper Agent.
  • Beware of the depths

• 4,684 posts
  • Joined Apr 02, 2011
  • 2,447 rep

And the demo video:

Wouldn't it be similar to having hair in your field of vision? :P

But maybe having glasses that are able to be synced with your smartphone to be similar to this product would be better, so you could either use it as a smartphone like we would use today or use them like the google glasses, that'd be better, but it's an interesting idea.

Cat C

Cat C
  • Criminal of Thought

• 4,784 posts
  • Joined Oct 11, 2010
  • 3,892 rep

Personally I always feel stupid giving my pieces of technology voice commands, so the fact that you have to tell them what to do annoys me. What if you were in a  lift and wanted to message someone? Everyone around you would hear what you wanted to say. :P Just seems to be a smartphone for your eyes. Only cool thing was the pictures/videos. Must admit, I've always loved the idea of being able to blink to capture a picture or a moment with my eyes.

• Hedwig likes this

uhleckseee

uhleckseee
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • Joined Aug 31, 2009
  • 222 rep

I don't think this will gain popularity instantly. I think it's an amazing, revolutionary idea, but it's going to take a few years for it all to catch on. I mean, look at Siri. How often do you see people use it in public around people? People don't like using voice commands often, it makes them feel awkward. I know that Google is patenting eye movements to control things, which could work better. Right now, it's just going to get released to people who have that kind of disposable income, and then over the next few years they'll tweak and modify the technology to cater to the masses. 

This is the future, but not quite.

Vesper

Vesper
  • Outlander

• 17,994 posts
  • Joined Jun 10, 2010
  • 6,616 rep

I think this is what The Static Age is all about.  We already spend too much time sitting next to our loved ones texting away, and now Google wants to shove even more noise in front of our faces 24x7?  The hell with that.

I know right? There's so much more; enjoy the moment, as opposed to telling a gadget to take a photograph of it! 

Wouldn't it be similar to having hair in your field of vision? :P

But maybe having glasses that are able to be synced with your smartphone to be similar to this product would be better, so you could either use it as a smartphone like we would use today or use them like the google glasses, that'd be better, but it's an interesting idea.

It would be so irritating... not to mention terribly distracting! Can you imagine wearing them whilst driving? 

• The Snark, Rosie May and Bastard of 1967 like this

Floyd Pinkerton

Floyd Pinkerton
  • Head of Tom's legal council

• 18,506 posts
  • Joined Jun 08, 2009
  • 2,623 rep

POPULAR

Technology. Wut are you doing? Technology! STAHP!
  • The Snark, bat-chen, Iain and 3 others like this

Hedwig

Hedwig
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,111 posts
  • Joined Mar 02, 2011
  • 711 rep

Cool in theory but in reality I'd just get annoyed with it. And they look dumb.

Plus what Cat said about voice commands.

JIGD13

JIGD13
  • I Turned into a Martian

• 4,787 posts
  • Joined Jul 02, 2012
  • 2,602 rep

2749069.jpg

• A song for the lovers, Kayfabe and Iain like this

Drop Dead Hideous

Drop Dead Hideous
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Joined Sep 03, 2010
  • 525 rep

Good idea but still not perfect. Somebody should put some really serious time on this so it wouldn't flop. 

captain peroxide

captain peroxide
  • Unbowed. Unbent. Unbroken.

• 15,793 posts
  • Joined Feb 20, 2007
  • 6,444 rep

There's no way the world is ready for this yet. We only just got these kinds of applications on our phones, let alone projected over our vision wherever we go. Maybe in 10 years this'll take off, but I honestly don't see it happening much sooner than that.

• Iain, Drop Dead Hideous and w00t932 like this

Drop Dead Hideous

Drop Dead Hideous
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Joined Sep 03, 2010
  • 525 rep

There's no way the world is ready for this yet. We only just got these kinds of applications on our phones, let alone projected over our vision wherever we go. Maybe in 10 years this'll take off, but I honestly don't see it happening much sooner than that.

it's like the cell phone 15 years ago.

Iain

Iain
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,649 posts
  • Joined Jul 04, 2010
  • 1,108 rep
  • Location:Outside of my ass, unlike most people's heads on GDC.

I'm not trying to bring conspiracy skepticism into this, but why do I get the feeling this is a bad idea that could easily watch all over our lives? I mean, haven't we forgotten Google collects enough data on us already, do they honestly need to watch me masturbate furiously in my boredom? I don't like the design either; and sure, it's a really advanced piece of kit but it's more than Apple could ever ask for, yet I can easily see this breaking faster than any iPhone could. Google should just focus on giving America high-speed internet first (which is still daft in its own right since the East has already beaten them to it), then come back to making small, compressed yet powerful technology. And not spy on me.

Edit: I will admit though, this is the closest to a DragonBall Z scouter that we'll ever get.

• whatsmyname_jimmy likes this

Advertising

Gwen Stacy

Gwen Stacy
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • Joined Jun 20, 2010
  • 952 rep

Am I the only one who is excited for this? It does all the same things as our smartphones so it's not like there's any privacy or technology issues that we haven't seen before or aren't already dealing with.

• Berkeley likes this

She is Amanda

She is Amanda
  • and your name is Harry

• 3,375 posts
  • Joined Apr 24, 2012
  • 1,096 rep

I think i would look like a psychopath talking to myself wearing those...

Sarcasm

Sarcasm
  • Panty Purée

• 15,703 posts
  • Joined Mar 18, 2009
  • 9,760 rep
can't wear 'em, already have glasses.

Spoiler

• The Snark likes this

HolyHandGrenade

HolyHandGrenade
  • And now for something completely different...

• 4,798 posts
  • Joined Feb 15, 2013
  • 2,803 rep

I'm not trying to bring conspiracy skepticism into this, but why do I get the feeling this is a bad idea that could easily watch all over our lives? I mean, haven't we forgotten Google collects enough data on us already, do they honestly need to watch me masturbate furiously in my boredom? I don't like the design either; and sure, it's a really advanced piece of kit but it's more than Apple could ever ask for, yet I can easily see this breaking faster than any iPhone could. Google should just focus on giving America high-speed internet first (which is still daft in its own right since the East has already beaten them to it), then come back to making small, compressed yet powerful technology. And not spy on me.
Edit: I will admit though, this is the closest to a DragonBall Z scouter that we'll ever get.

Whatever sells, sells. Google is a company, and as much as it might stink, gimmicky and "exclusive" products are much more attractive to certain people than logical things such as a faster connection. That is one of Apple's big draws as well - tinker, tweak, and sell as a "new, must have" item.

She is Amanda

She is Amanda
  • and your name is Harry

• 3,375 posts
  • Joined Apr 24, 2012
  • 1,096 rep

I have to say the skype feature looks so freaking cool. I wonder if it's waterproof or weatherproof at all... 

• Iain likes this

Gwen Stacy

Gwen Stacy
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • Joined Jun 20, 2010
  • 952 rep

Spoiler

They've said that they're partnering with glasses manufacturers to make it work with regular glasses...

Sarcasm

Sarcasm
  • Panty Purée

• 15,703 posts
  • Joined Mar 18, 2009
  • 9,760 rep

They've said that they're partnering with glasses manufacturers to make it work with regular glasses...

so I need 2 pairs. That convinced me. Wonder how much it's gonna cost with a prescription.

Maria Gloria

Maria Gloria
  • Dearly Beloved

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,487 posts
  • Joined Jun 05, 2010
  • 5,772 rep

Doesn't anybody want to live in reality anymore? I agree with Michael, we've already spent enough time sitting next to people ignoring you for their phones. People would already rather talk on Facebook than face to face, we don't need them hiding behind weird glasses too.

I also agree that you'd look like a total psycho walking around and talking to your glasses. :lol: It's weird enough when you have to speak to your phone or when you're using handsfree.

• The Snark and PigSniffingGlue like this

Vesper

Vesper
  • Outlander

• 17,994 posts
  • Joined Jun 10, 2010
  • 6,616 rep

Doesn't anybody want to live in reality anymore? I agree with Michael, we've already spent enough time sitting next to people ignoring you for their phones. People would already rather talk on Facebook than face to face, we don't need them hiding behind weird glasses too.

I also agree that you'd look like a total psycho walking around and talking to your glasses. :lol: It's weird enough when you have to speak to your phone or when you're using handsfree.

Agree so much. 

I don't want to end up like the people on walle. I might go live in the forests if all this starts to become a reality. Raise my kids as atheist hunter-gatherers. 

Maria Gloria

Maria Gloria
  • Dearly Beloved

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,487 posts
  • Joined Jun 05, 2010
  • 5,772 rep

Agree so much. 

I don't want to end up like the people on walle. I might go live in the forests if all this starts to become a reality. Raise my kids as atheist hunter-gatherers. 

I've genuinely considered that. Or something along those lines anyway.

PigSniffingGlue

PigSniffingGlue
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts
  • Joined Oct 19, 2011
  • 2,301 rep

you know what it reminds me of? Simon (Cookie) from Ned's declassified school survival guide :P

500full.jpg

only he was half cyborg.... :ermm:

exactly how I see it, those kind of ideas scare the shit out of me, even now I make a point to never do stuff on my phone while I'm walking (like texting, etc) cause otherwise I just feel like a robot. Sometimes I even have to shake my friends out of their smart phones while we're hanging out cause it bothers me that I don't feel like they are actually with me. Seriously, you can check your fb later and you don't have to post the daily amount of stuff you eat (I have a friend who really likes sushi and goes out to eat it 2-3 times a week, and every time she HAS to post a pic of her food  :huh: ) ... also, parties/concerts/ hang outs are for having fun and taking a few photos to remember them, photos are not the main goal, people seem to forget that.

Things like those glasses make me really sad and worried about the future, I don't wanna live in the modern world :pinch:

Technology. Wut are you doing? Technology! STAHP!

This.

• Céadóg likes this

w00t932

w00t932
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Joined Aug 06, 2012
  • 146 rep

It's crazy how fast technology is improving. If someone told me about this 2 years ago, I wouldn't believe them. The demo video looks like something from The Jetsons.

Kayfabe

Kayfabe
  • syllables, killaholic

• 14,359 posts
  • Joined Jun 20, 2009
  • 2,878 rep

http://www.memegenerator.es/imagenes/mem...

why lie, this is the only reason i'd feel inclined to buy the thing.

this is great for those people that need to facebook update/twitpic every detail of their lives. that happens to not be me, however.

captain peroxide

captain peroxide
  • Unbowed. Unbent. Unbroken.

• 15,793 posts
  • Joined Feb 20, 2007
  • 6,444 rep

Spoiler

Jesus Christ, you're getting awfully fucking butthurt about something that isn't even on sale yet. They're partnering up with a prescription glasses manufacturer.

Malleus

Malleus
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,977 posts
  • Joined Jan 30, 2010
  • 1,515 rep

This is a pretty cool idea. Scary, but cool.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: News, Debate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users