Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Self-Driving Cars

Debate News

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

Vesper

Vesper
  • Outlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,028 posts
  • Joined Jun 10, 2010
  • 6,647 rep

Here is an article regarding technology that might allow us, within a fairly near future to have self driving cars. These cars would recognise routes you've already taken and be able to replicate them, and the car would drive itself. 

What do you think? 

Would you feel safe in a car that was driving itself? 

Céadóg

Céadóg
  • Fucking say it

• 17,271 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 19,425 rep

Pretty sure I saw these on Top Gear a few years ago. I dunno, a lot of people would prefer just to drive themselves. Nice feeling of control.

Vesper

Vesper
  • Outlander

• 18,028 posts
  • Joined Jun 10, 2010
  • 6,647 rep

Pretty sure I saw these on Top Gear a few years ago. I dunno, a lot of people would prefer just to drive themselves. Nice feeling of control.

With these the driver can regain control by simply tapping the break pedal. 

So do you think it's gimmicky? 

Kid A

Kid A
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Joined Jun 13, 2011
  • 489 rep

This scares me, People would become incredibly lazy if this was the norm in the future. Granted, It's safe but The next generation would be less and less responsible and would probably end up like those fat people on Wall-E.

• pasalacquaian likes this

Alan86

Alan86
  • It's Ok, Im a Limo Driver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,890 posts
  • Joined Nov 16, 2005
  • 1,973 rep

I like driving, having a computer do it seems boring. 

Vesper

Vesper
  • Outlander

• 18,028 posts
  • Joined Jun 10, 2010
  • 6,647 rep

I like driving, having a computer do it seems boring. 

This seemed to be one of the main arguments. Lots of people get a lot of pleasure from driving... 

Miracless

Miracless
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Joined Jun 01, 2012
  • 222 rep

Well yeah, why not? It would reduce crashes, drunk driving and you would be able to do something else while driving, sleep for example. But still it doesn't remove the facts I hate about cars, pollution and laziness.

• Dark Lord Plagueis likes this

Vesper

Vesper
  • Outlander

• 18,028 posts
  • Joined Jun 10, 2010
  • 6,647 rep

Well yeah, why not? It would reduce crashes, drunk driving and you would be able to do something else while driving, sleep for example. But still it doesn't remove the facts I hate about cars, pollution and laziness.

You're not allowed to sleep! The driver still has to be alert in case they need to take control of the vehicle. It would still be illegal to be negligent behind the wheel. 

Miracless

Miracless
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Joined Jun 01, 2012
  • 222 rep

You're not allowed to sleep! The driver still has to be alert in case they need to take control of the vehicle. It would still be illegal to be negligent behind the wheel. 

Whoops, didn't read the article! I read one before that envisaged all of the cars to be fully automatic, not even wheels and they'd do 300 km/h. In that case it would do. :lol:

LazyPhil

LazyPhil
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • Joined Sep 18, 2010
  • 507 rep

I saw one on youtube once. There was that near blind man and a car sponsored by Google.

Vesper

Vesper
  • Outlander

• 18,028 posts
  • Joined Jun 10, 2010
  • 6,647 rep

That could be a really good reason for these cars. Get those who are less able out and about. 

lizziebix

lizziebix
  • I used to make great reservations!

• 22,528 posts
  • Joined Sep 15, 2009
  • 6,247 rep
I like driving too much to give my car over to a computer. If I want a self-driving car, I'd just hire a limo driver. :)
  • Bastard of 1967 and Marius Pontmercy like this

Mary711

Mary711
  • Living for the next show

• 8,421 posts
  • Joined Jun 30, 2010
  • 2,338 rep

I'd rather drive with me making the decisions.

Maria Gloria

Maria Gloria
  • Dearly Beloved

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,498 posts
  • Joined Jun 05, 2010
  • 5,789 rep

I wouldn't feel safe in a car that drove itself, no matter how safe it was. It seems like a bit of a pointless idea really, other than helping out people who aren't able to drive otherwise. But I guess it'd be worth it for that.

Daughter.of.Rage.and.Love

Daughter.of.Rage.and.Love
  • No, this is Patrick

• 30,684 posts
  • Joined Oct 23, 2008
  • 3,627 rep

If the technology was sufficiently developed to adapt to traffic, it'd actually be a lot safer to have computers to the driving instead of more flawed humans. But I can also see many people enjoying driving who wouldn't or would rarely use it, and on the other hand it would let lots of people get lazy with driving and their driving skills would deteriorate because they don't practice driving very often anymore. Not to mention the bigger danger of a driver falling asleep because he doesn't have to actively do anything, just sit and pay attention. 

Plus the car almost literally taking the wheel is kind of an unsettling thought because we are so used to controlling our own cars, even if for example planes are flown almost completely by autopilot a lot of the times. 

Advertising

Bastard of 1967

Bastard of 1967
  • Hero For The Lost Cause

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,834 posts
  • Joined Apr 07, 2009
  • 2,578 rep

Here is an article regarding technology that might allow us, within a fairly near future to have self driving cars. These cars would recognise routes you've already taken and be able to replicate them, and the car would drive itself. 

What do you think? 

Would you feel safe in a car that was driving itself? 

Putting on my systems engineer hat (I do this for a living, y'know) -- one thing that's always in the front of my mind when I'm building anything new is weighing the likelihood of a catastrophic failure against the cost if the failure occurs, and against the cost of engineering to reduce the failure risk to an "acceptable" level.  Yeah, I'm a geek, so sue me.  geek.gif  Anyway, with all of this in mind, a self-driving car using today's technology? Given the high risk of serious property damage and death when something goes wrong and a bunch of vehicles going 60+ MPH slam into each other?  We know what happens when this kind of thing happens with human-controlled cars.  Now we're seriously thinking about handing this off to some bug-ridden computer system?  Bad, bad, bad, BAD idea. :pinch:

Hedwig

Hedwig
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,111 posts
  • Joined Mar 02, 2011
  • 711 rep
/has irrational fear of computers taking over and crashing one into another.
  • Bastard of 1967 likes this

Lauren

Lauren
  • no te preocupes

• 14,982 posts
  • Joined Jun 21, 2006
  • 3,703 rep

I think it wouldn't be the smartest idea, because if you still have to pay attention to the road in case an accident is about to happen, you might as well just be driving.

Dark Lord Plagueis

Dark Lord Plagueis
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 951 posts
  • Joined Aug 13, 2011
  • 472 rep

I'd enjoy it. I love driving, but if this became the norm in the future I'd feel much safer. That would mean basic rules like USING THE FUCKING TURN SIGNAL would be relevant to every one. Or staying one car distance away, no speeding past in the right lane. Tons of rules that almost wreck me daily because I actually drive according to the rules of the road, whereas my peers just willy nilly fucking turn their car -__-

JIGD13

JIGD13
  • I Turned into a Martian

• 4,788 posts
  • Joined Jul 02, 2012
  • 2,602 rep

The world is getting lazy 

Vesper

Vesper
  • Outlander

• 18,028 posts
  • Joined Jun 10, 2010
  • 6,647 rep

I think it wouldn't be the smartest idea, because if you still have to pay attention to the road in case an accident is about to happen, you might as well just be driving.

This was my point when we debated it on the radio. If you have to seem like your driving, the only thing you're not doing is putting your hands on the steering wheel, basically. Big deal. 

Rosie May

Rosie May
  • Positively Pessimistic

• 4,227 posts
  • Joined Mar 30, 2007
  • 1,238 rep

We know what happens when this kind of thing happens with human-controlled cars.  Now we're seriously thinking about handing this off to some bug-ridden computer system?  Bad, bad, bad, BAD idea. :pinch:

^This. Bad enough we have sat navs that think rivers are streets, what if you're car accidentally drives you into one? :o We're passive enough as it is I think, this would just make it worse.

It just sounds like it would turn out like some sort of sci fi movie where the cars turn on their owners etc. :ermm: (Not that would actually happen but you know what I mean, hopefully)

Juliette

Juliette
  • Wanderlust

• 9,093 posts
  • Joined May 04, 2007
  • 1,104 rep

Seems pretty pointless and also not very safe. Besides I already think automatic gearboxes are cheating, this seems way too far :lol:

musso_kn

musso_kn
  • Just alright

• 3,935 posts
  • Joined Oct 28, 2012
  • 2,600 rep

But you'd still have to take control of the car again at traffic lights etc, right? You might as well just drive all by yourself, then. I see way too many holes and problems with a car that drives itself.

gdpony

gdpony
  • Anna Molly

• 10,548 posts
  • Joined Oct 10, 2009
  • 1,226 rep

Aself-driving car would be a dream come true for me.

I hate driving and I don't like cars.

Vesper

Vesper
  • Outlander

• 18,028 posts
  • Joined Jun 10, 2010
  • 6,647 rep

But you'd still have to take control of the car again at traffic lights etc, right? You might as well just drive all by yourself, then. I see way too many holes and problems with a car that drives itself.

I don't know. If it can recognise signal changes...? :/ Seems a bit risky for my liking. 

musso_kn

musso_kn
  • Just alright

• 3,935 posts
  • Joined Oct 28, 2012
  • 2,600 rep

I don't know. If it can recognise signal changes...? :/ Seems a bit risky for my liking. 

My point exactly.

Black Dynamite

Black Dynamite
  • STOP WHEN THE RED LIGHT flashES

• 3,230 posts
  • Joined Apr 06, 2011
  • 3,316 rep

You could run over someone you hated and then blame it on the car! 

• pasalacquaian likes this

euphoric-pareidolias

euphoric-pareidolias
  • Abandoned Hope

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,984 posts
  • Joined Jun 24, 2010
  • 182 rep

theoretically, it's brilliant, it can help disabled people have more independence as such but it's no where near being ready for full use...

Driving is an adaptive act, and right now no technology can cope quick enough to deal with that. If you're letting the car be in control, you're more likely not to be concentrating and then not ready to interfere when necessary... And as said, it'd just be an excuse to drive as you please and then blame the car. 

Imo, it's a concept car, and, like the muscle powered car, great concept, but lacks practicality when it comes down to us. 

• Bastard of 1967 likes this

Marius Pontmercy

Marius Pontmercy
  • I FEEL MY SOUL ON FIRE

• 8,574 posts
  • Joined Aug 18, 2010
  • 3,535 rep

Too dangerous.

Also, I love driving too much to let the car do it without me.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Debate, News

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users