Photography Project Help

Billie-Joe's Bitch

Hi guys,

I'm doing an AS Photography project on interpretating different artists' lyrics and turning them into pictures. As you might expect, I have chosen Green Day as my artist and for my first shoot (sometime next week), I'm basing the pictures on the lyrics from Boulevard of Broken Dreams. I have decided on a setting of a disused runway local to me, which can be used for these types of pictures. My teacher said I can't directly copy the video and just take pictures of that, so does anyone have any ideas of how to represent the lyrics and not copy the video? I also have one male model. I can only photography one of the lines of the song, so the 3 considerations are below.

"My shadow's the only one that walks beside me"

"Sometimes I wish someone out there will find me"

"On the Boulevard of Broken Dreams, where the city sleeps, and I'm the only one and I walk alone".

Which line do you think would be best to photograph, where I can the most significant pictures? and does anyone have ideas on how to represent it?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks,

Amy (AJLovesGreenDay)

oooh another as photography student hi!! i'd say the first one would be easiest to photograph while not copying the video - you could put your own spin on the line :)

I just did this for my AS photography too!

Great minds think alike ;)

I did lots from American Idiot, such as 'I'm the son of rage and love', I used 'A face in the crowd, unsung against the mould' for my final piece and I used lyrics from Viva La Gloria (Little Girl) as they were really raw, and gritty images. If you want, I could perhaps try and scan them and show you what I've done?

Yes please! I need ideas for Boulevard of Broken Dreams, but the other songs will help, thanks so much! What grade did you get?

I just did this for my AS photography too!

Great minds think alike ;)

I did lots from American Idiot, such as 'I'm the son of rage and love', I used 'A face in the crowd, unsung against the mould' for my final piece and I used lyrics from Viva La Gloria (Little Girl) as they were really raw, and gritty images. If you want, I could perhaps try and scan them and show you what I've done?

Yes please! I need ideas for Boulevard of Broken Dreams, but the other songs will help, thanks so much! What grade did you get?

I think with the location you've chosen you'll be able to represent any of those lines well. Here's my ideas anyway:

"On the Boulevard of Broken Dreams, where the city sleeps, and I'm the only one and I walk alone" - I'd probably just take a photo of the model walking into the distance, hunched up and looking down to imply that he's sad and alone. Shallow depth of field in the background might be nice so the focus is all on him.

"My shadow's the only one that walks beside me" - I think a close-up taken from below would work well (with his shadow visible and obviously a sad expression).

"Sometimes I wish someone out there would find me" - you could sit the model on a box and have him pretend to cry or something. It might be a good idea to take that from quite far away so he's sort of just a speck, if you wanted him to appear really alone. If that makes sense.

Or another option could be to interpret any of the lines metaphorically and do something totally different, like make them a metaphor for something that's going on in the country (crap example but yeah).

I think the photos would have the most impact in black and white or sepia as well, and darkening the corners with the burn brush on Photoshop would be a nice effect.

If this helps at all either, I'm studying BTEC Photography and did something similar. Couldn't decide on which song so I tried out lines from Fell for You and Viva La Gloria:

(Sorry about the annoying watermarks, I got the pics off my Facebook page)

"Making paper planes just for a while"

600680_128906870616037_985427916_n.jpg

"Find yourself with your face in the gutter"

426153_128906903949367_1332666623_n.jpg

^There was one to go with this one showing the opposite side of Gloria ("don't put away your burning light") but I haven't uploaded it yet. I can do that if you want to see it. :)

They might all be shit ideas that you don't want to use, but hope I've helped out a fellow photography student a little bit! :P

Well I was going to do the "sometimes I wish someone out there would find me" line and have my model being an alcoholic or homeless, to show that he's got nothing left, with a blanket and some bottles. Do you think that's a good idea? I also wanted to take some photos of him just sitting in the middle of the runway, waiting for someone to come and find him. I agree that the photos should be put in Black & White, as they would be most effective. Your pictures are really good btw, can you upload the other one you were talking about? The opposite side of Gloria?

Thanks,

Amy xxx

Sounds like a good idea to me. You should post them when they're done! Hope I didn't sound like an obnoxious twat suggesting all that stuff. :lol:

Aw thank you. And yeah sure, here's the other Gloria one:

521304_130802430426481_735778859_n.jpg

It's a bit out of focus actually and I don't like the expression much. But you can see the idea anyway.

Sounds like a good idea to me. You should post them when they're done! Hope I didn't sound like an obnoxious twat suggesting all that stuff. :lol:

It's a bit out of focus actually and I don't like the expression much. But you can see the idea anyway.

Thanks, and don't worry about the ideas, you didn't sound like a twat :lol: I'll post the photos when they're done. I had a dream that my teacher said they were crap :sorry:

• 2 weeks later...

This is the final photo:

http://i.imgur.com/Txr6RD6.jpg?1

Looks great! I like it :)

Thanks. For my next shoot, I'm doing "I walk a lonely road" with a path lit by street lamps, with no people and just the text on the image :)

Archived