Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Pope Benedict XVI to resign

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

Céadóg

Céadóg
  • Fucking say it

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,273 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 21,113 rep

THE REBEL ALLIANCE HAS BEEN VICTORIOUS ONCE MORE

tumblr_lzpj8v8HpQ1ql40eoo1_400.jpg

But seriously, the Vatican has confirmed that he Pope is to resign at the end of the month.

http://www.bbc.co.uk.../world-21411304

Very interesting, considering the last Pope to resign was Gregory XII in 1415, 598 years ago, coincidentally on my birthday, but anyhoo.

BC0aLnDCIAE6Axw.jpg

Is this a sign of a crisis in the church? Who seems a likely choice to replace him? Could this finally be a turning point for the church, and could a moderate reformer be elected?

• Heisenberg likes this

Dr. Queen Schultz

Dr. Queen Schultz
  • Hakuna Matata, bitches!

• 16,384 posts
  • Joined Jul 27, 2008
  • 4,504 rep

Well I couldn't care less who our current pope is and who not. :lol:

I am surprised though since he hasn't been in office for long...I think most popes were "active" longer than just 8 years. :ermm:

But as I said, I don't like him anyway....so whatever...they'll find a new one. :P

ThibautDookie

ThibautDookie
  • Die hard fan of rare interviews and rare pics of Green Day

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,751 posts
  • Joined Feb 20, 2012
  • 7,482 rep

And did you know that he was in the Hitlerian Youthfulness ?

Amanda

Amanda
  • Loved Very Much by Joey

• 30,579 posts
  • Joined Apr 08, 2005
  • 8,251 rep

POPULAR

Was that a boy band?
  • Hayley, Hermione, chatnoir and 6 others like this

Hermione

Hermione
  • Soggy Dream

• 27,901 posts
  • Joined Jan 09, 2008
  • 10,608 rep

Well it's just that he's 85 and feels he's too old to continue. Seems a pretty fair and straightforward reason to me. Good news though, maybe they'll pick a better one this time. 

• Velocity, Kayfabe, November's Storms and 1 other like this

Céadóg

Céadóg
  • Fucking say it

• 18,273 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 21,113 rep

Well I couldn't care less who our current pope is and who not. :lol:

I am surprised though since he hasn't been in office for long...I think most popes were "active" longer than just 8 years. :ermm:

But as I said, I don't like him anyway....so whatever...they'll find a new one. :P

The Papacy is an office for life. Pretty sure there's been quite a few who've lasted a lot less than 8 years :P

I think it's quite exciting. There's a real mood of change in the Church these days, especially at grassroots. Would be the perfect time for reform.

ThibautDookie

ThibautDookie

• 7,751 posts
  • Joined Feb 20, 2012
  • 7,482 rep

Was that a boy band?

I don't know how to say this in English. In french, it's called "Jeunesse Hitlérienne".

Céadóg

Céadóg
  • Fucking say it

• 18,273 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 21,113 rep

I've always failed to see how this was relevant to anything. It was 70 years ago, and he was younger than you.

~ Walking Contradiction

~ Walking Contradiction
  • Dominated Love Slave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts
  • Joined Dec 16, 2009
  • 3,856 rep

I couldn't care less, but he should have resigned long ago, after all the sex abuses he and the Church tried to hide (every Pope should resign at some point though...)

WestboundSign!

WestboundSign!
  • Invisible Llama

• 6,101 posts
  • Joined Apr 20, 2011
  • 3,486 rep

I think it's quite exciting. There's a real mood of change in the Church these days, especially at grassroots. Would be the perfect time for reform.

Reform would be more than needed and a lot more possible with a new pope.. I'm curious to know who will be the next pope, to be honest. I want change.

I've always failed to see how this was relevant to anything. It was 70 years ago, and he was younger than you.

I don't like him but I don't consider it as relevant as well. Some kids were more or less forced to enter, it was the same for my grandparents. It's not that it says something about him.

Céadóg

Céadóg
  • Fucking say it

• 18,273 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 21,113 rep

I couldn't care less, but he should have resigned long ago, after all the sex abuses he and the Church tried to hide.

Anyone who replaced him would have been just as enmeshed in the child abuse scandals. In his defence, he's done a lot more to deal with it than everyone's favourite pope, John Paul whatisface. He was pretty much responsible for that entire culture of secrecy.

Dr. Queen Schultz

Dr. Queen Schultz

• 16,384 posts
  • Joined Jul 27, 2008
  • 4,504 rep

The Papacy is an office for life. Pretty sure there's been quite a few who've lasted a lot less than 8 years :P

I know it's for life, but he's been elected at quite an old age, so I just pointed out that most were elected at an earlier age and hence were in office longer. :o

I thought he'd die soon anyway so yeah. :ninja:

Too macabre?

I don't know how to say this in English. In french, it's called "Jeunesse Hitlérienne".

I think she was joking. ;)

Then again every one was in the "Hitlerjugend" back then....even """"normal"""" people....not just right wing extremists.

• Amanda and WestboundSign! like this

Amanda

Amanda

• 30,579 posts
  • Joined Apr 08, 2005
  • 8,251 rep

Hitler Youth. Yeah, lots of kids in those days were in it, kind of like the scouts or whatever these days. Life was very different then, being in something like that didn't necessarily make someone a nazi.
  • Dr. Queen Schultz and WestboundSign! like this

Céadóg

Céadóg
  • Fucking say it

• 18,273 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 21,113 rep

I know it's for life, but he's been elected at quite an old age, so I just pointed out that most were elected at an earlier age and hence were in office longer. :o

I thought he'd die soon anyway so yeah. :ninja:

Too macabre?

I think she was joking. ;)

Then again every one was in the "Hitlerjugend" back then....even """"normal"""" people....not just right wing extremists.

Not macabre at all, just truthful. There's been popes elected at his age who've live for another 30 years, so I don't think that's the issue at all.

And good point about the Hitler Youth. Very true.

Hermione

Hermione
  • Soggy Dream

• 27,901 posts
  • Joined Jan 09, 2008
  • 10,608 rep

He was a child when he was in the Hitler Youth and it was just expected for children to be in it under the regime they were living in. Totally unfair to judge him for it.

• Velocity and WestboundSign! like this

Advertising

Dr. Queen Schultz

Dr. Queen Schultz

• 16,384 posts
  • Joined Jul 27, 2008
  • 4,504 rep

Kids didn't even know  about the backgrounds, and honestly what the Hitlerjugend did with the kids (journeys, create togetherness, learn things together etc.) was good.

Everyone was just in....the parents said so, the kids enjoyed it. Obviously no kid questioned it...it was just normal for everyone and the group itself did great things with the members...just not for the right reasons.

ThibautDookie

ThibautDookie

• 7,751 posts
  • Joined Feb 20, 2012
  • 7,482 rep

You're right, we shouldn't judge him on that.

Céadóg

Céadóg
  • Fucking say it

• 18,273 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 21,113 rep

Alright, we've established that he PROBABLY wasn't a Nazi.

We can at least say that he's pretty damn conservative, with regards to pretty much every issue on the table, AIDS, gay marriage, priests marrying, women priests. It's probably the reason he was elected in fact, to maintain the status quo.

Do the Church have the balls to pick someone who's younger, and might drive through reforms that could make the Church a relevant and useful organisation once more?

• Hermione, Dr. Queen Schultz and Kayfabe like this

WestboundSign!

WestboundSign!
  • Invisible Llama

• 6,101 posts
  • Joined Apr 20, 2011
  • 3,486 rep

Do the Church have the balls to pick someone who's younger, and might drive through reforms that could make the Church a relevant and useful organisation once more?

Well, no idea if this will ever happen again.. but I surely hope they'll pick someone younger and let some changes and reforms happen. It would be more than needed. Christian believe has some great values that in my opinion got a bit destroyed and mixed up with idiocy by all the organisation stuff. I'd love people to see the actual values again and not only the conservative and sometimes even made up out of thin air things the pope says.

Céadóg

Céadóg
  • Fucking say it

• 18,273 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 21,113 rep

Well, no idea if this will ever happen again.. but I surely hope they'll pick someone younger and let some changes and reforms happen. It would be more than needed. Christian believe has some great values that in my opinion got a bit destroyed and mixed up with idiocy by all the organisation stuff. I'd love people to see the actual values again and not only the conservative and sometimes even made up out of thin air things the pope says.

I'm starting to think that's what this resignation is all about. Maybe it's pressure coming from a younger core of cardinals, who can see that the Church is slowly dying and becoming irrelevant. It still has a strong hold in developing nations, but it's losing credibility in the First World every day.

The Church does do a great deal of good work at grassroots level, but the hierarchy is in dire need of reform. The relaxing of long held views on gay marriage and contraception would help a great deal.

Amanda

Amanda

• 30,579 posts
  • Joined Apr 08, 2005
  • 8,251 rep

POPULAR

24l380h.jpg
  • spark in the night, fukingcounterstrike, Katarina. and 13 others like this

Céadóg

Céadóg
  • Fucking say it

• 18,273 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 21,113 rep

http://i48.tinypic.com/24l380h.jpg...

ALL THE REP

Fuzz

Fuzz
  • Professional Cocksmith

• 38,875 posts
  • Joined May 28, 2004
  • 16,353 rep

POPULAR

Pretty crazy. I do think this is the better way to go about this, rather than him continue to have a grueling schedule and become more and more weak. I just watched a documentary about the final years and months of John Paul II, it's pretty incredible how much he tried to do even though his body was weak from age.

I hope for humanity's sake they elect a new pope more understanding of the times we live in with a more open attitude toward birth control, gay rights, and women's rights within the church. I grew up Catholic, even though i'm agnostic now, and even though I know the church has lots of faults (and some very serious ones), I also grew up seeing how it could bring people together. The church does some very respectable things, especially when it comes to the poor, and I know a lot of good a church can do on a local level. If they can find someone to lead the church into the new century, they can be a force for good regardless of their belief in god. 

• Mar, LazyPhil, Disapperingirl and 2 others like this

Sarcasm

Sarcasm
  • Panty Purée/Savior of Lives/Arse Doctor

• 16,300 posts
  • Joined Mar 18, 2009
  • 10,251 rep
Wonder if his tweets will go all bad ass now.
"enjoying some 'holy water', living life on the edge. Mass this morning was craaaaazy!!!"

Anyway, the pope system is faulty at best in my opinion. Conservative thinking is one thing, but the popes have a tendency to taking it to a level seen fit 400 years ago.

Céadóg

Céadóg
  • Fucking say it

• 18,273 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 21,113 rep

POPULAR

Wonder if his tweets will go all bad ass now.
"enjoying some 'holy water', living life on the edge. Mass this morning was craaaaazy!!!"

Anyway, the pope system is faulty at best in my opinion. Conservative thinking is one thing, but the popes have a tendency to taking it to a level seen fit 400 years ago.

The tweets so far have been fantastic.

The innocent explanation may be that the Pope just wants to spend more time with other people's grandchildren.

Popin' ain't easy.

"Take me out of the Vatican City, where the mass is keen and the boys are pretty"

Headlines: Pope Benedict announces he is retiring to Argentina to spend time with some old friends from the 1940s

HMV, Blockbuster, now Catholicism. #endofdays

I think JJ Abrams has been approached. #pope

• Katarina., Hermione, Lady_Rufus and 8 others like this

Mar

Mar
  • Streets ahead

• 18,580 posts
  • Joined Jul 23, 2009
  • 5,221 rep

While I have no doubt that he's old, possibly ill, I think this is a calculated move. Get a younger man in to re-attract all the lapsed Catholics and get them "in line" with their bullshit super-conservative practices that my generation (myself included) has scoffed at. Sorry, guys, as a modern Catholic in the modern world, you're all out of touch. Our bishop is a carbon clone of the Pope and his outdated views and I hate the way he prioritizes abortion, gay rights and general Catholic guilt over actually helping people. He kicked out our beloved priest because he wasn't conservative enough and the congregation is all but gone because we can't listen to his fire and brimstone homilies. Ugh. I wonder if it'll be someone from a majority English-speaking nation, because I think that's where they're struggling?

November's Storms

November's Storms
  • Welcome to Paradise

• 10,776 posts
  • Joined Feb 09, 2010
  • 4,567 rep

Episode XII: A New Pope 

Anyone who replaced him would have been just as enmeshed in the child abuse scandals. In his defence, he's done a lot more to deal with it than everyone's favourite pope, John Paul whatisface. He was pretty much responsible for that entire culture of secrecy.

JPII was entirely complicit in the cover ups and that was an undoubtedly evil thing, but he had some redeeming features. He forced the church into modern times, and was instrumental in the fall of Communism and in peace efforts across the world.

Benedict to me is only going to be remembered for criticizing the Harry Potter books and failing to respond to the child abuse scandals in any meaningful way. He could have met abuse survivors or issued an honest and wide ranging apology.

His only quote I remember on the issue was something about the Church being like a fishermans net that takes in all fish, some are good and some are bad. Apt, considering how important the fisherman is in the church's biblical teachings, but it almost felt as if he wasn't apologizing for the institution, despite it failing so many  people in such a cruel way. No, I'm happy to see this man go and I can only hope the cardinals can elect a more modern thinking leader. If they don't, I won't lose sleep. Either way it's just going to speed up or prolong the inevitable decline of the church.

Kids didn't even know  about the backgrounds, and honestly what the Hitlerjugend did with the kids (journeys, create togetherness, learn things together etc.) was good.

Well, until he sent them into battle in the final days of the war. Anyway, that's irrelevant.

Vesper

Vesper
  • Outlander

• 18,090 posts
  • Joined Jun 10, 2010
  • 6,720 rep

Well this can only be good news. 

• November's Storms likes this

inthehallwaynow

inthehallwaynow
  • Cap'n Crunch

• 3,270 posts
  • Joined Sep 22, 2012
  • 6,070 rep

have they gone through popes john george paul and ringo yet?

• fiercecircus and Neutral Milk Hotel like this

~ Walking Contradiction

~ Walking Contradiction
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,542 posts
  • Joined Dec 16, 2009
  • 3,856 rep

Some Italian newspapers are reporting that Bagnasco could be the next pope :S

Some years ago he basically compared same-sex unions to incest and pedophilia..."If we don’t say no to same-sex unions, then why not incest and pedophilia?"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users