Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Last day to enter photography contest

We're having a photography contest where you guys send in a photo that describes what that time of year means to you.

Photo

Most Important Musicians and Why

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

Basic Radio

Basic Radio
  • Little One

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Joined Oct 10, 2012
  • 21 rep

I always thought it would be interesting to see a post like this. Who are they to you? Any genre, any style. I'm talking individuals though.

Mine would have to be:

Chuck D of Public Enemy

- The man, in my opinion, drops the most meaningful tracks I have ever heard. Racism, social issues, you name it; he does it with a finesse that goes unmatched.

Tom Morello

- The guitar solos he shreds are incredible; unlike anything else. He is one of those guitarists that has dynamically changed the way we see and hear guitar.

Lint

- Tim Armstrong represents the DIY, fun-loving attitude that I take pride in as a punk. His guitar, though not as complex as Tom, is important to me in that it has been a key piece in a small band that went on a cross-country tour in a crappy car for six weeks and has influenced countless other bands to do the same.

• stan the harmonica man, Jimmy McNulty and Radio Victim like this

Guest_Just Another Joe_*

Guest_Just Another Joe_*
  • Joined --
  • 0 rep

Can this include personal reasons?

My most important would be

Minor Threat:

They introduced me to many different ideas, including Straight-Edge. At a time when life seemed so black and white. It seemed all bands took various amounts of drugs and there was no alternative but there Minor Threat was. Ian's way of describing it "It celebrates an individuals choices to choose what they want to do" is just perfect.  If it wasn't for them, I wouldn't have taken an extra step in my life and actually try to "Make a fucking difference". Ian's lyrics helped me be more accepting of myself and the things around me, think things out and take a more intelligent approach in life. Oh and Fugazi was great! They're one of the best Post-Hardcore bands

7 Seconds:

7 Seconds I got into when I was new to Hardcore. After hearing Minor Threat's "Straight Edge" I wanted more of that kind of stuff. I bought "Take it Back, Take it On, Take It Over!" at a store at random without knowing any of the songs. I thought it was ok (I love the record now) but it's was "Young 'Till I die" that hooked me in. Kevin's lyrics showed me that it's possible to take youthful aspirations and energy into adulthood. Not everybody has to work a boring "9-to-5" job and much like Minor Threat, he inspired me to take an extra step. Their positive lyrics made me release how great life really is. Also songs like "Colourblind" and "Regress? No Way!" opened my eyes to topics such as racism and homophobia.

There's a few more important musicians out there but these guys are the best I can think of right now. They're probably the most important.

• Basic Radio likes this

Radio Victim

Radio Victim
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Joined Oct 23, 2012
  • 245 rep

Love the idea for the thread.

The Clash

-To me they we're the first band to show that you can get anywhere without knowing everything in the book in how to sing or how to play a certain instrument.

Jesse, Tim "Lint" and Matt of Operation Ivy

-The band itself had such a following and influence with only one LP. that alone is proof of how great they were. Jesse is a god at lyrics and has that signature voice as well as Tim but they're different. Tim just like you said shows what Punk stands for. and Matt, what a beast on the bass, my god!

Green Day

-Not so much lately but they've always said what's on their mind and if I met them I'm sure they would be so much fun!

• Basic Radio likes this

JIGD13

JIGD13
  • I Turned into a Martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,788 posts
  • Joined Jul 02, 2012
  • 2,602 rep

Green Day: Because their music describes my life everyday and they also help me with their songs messages

• Basic Radio likes this

Guest_Just Another Joe_*

Guest_Just Another Joe_*
  • Joined --
  • 0 rep

The Clash

-To me they we're the first band to show that you can get anywhere without knowing everything in the book in how to sing or how to play a certain instrument.

-The band itself had such a following and influence with only one LP. that alone is proof of how great they were. Jesse is a god at lyrics and has that signature voice as well as Tim but they're different. Tim just like you said shows what Punk stands for. and Matt, what a beast on the bass, my god!

Green Day

-Not so much lately but they've always said what's on their mind and if I met them I'm sure they would be so much fun!

Love these bands. Especially Operation Ivy. A fucking great band. :)

• Radio Victim likes this

Céadóg

Céadóg
  • Fucking say it

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,273 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 21,107 rep

Can this include personal reasons?

My most important would be

Minor Threat:

They introduced me to many different ideas, including Straight-Edge. At a time when life seemed so black and white. It seemed all bands took various amounts of drugs and there was no alternative but there Minor Threat was. Ian's way of describing it "It celebrates an individuals choices to choose what they want to do" is just perfect.  If it wasn't for them, I wouldn't have taken an extra step in my life and actually try to "Make a fucking difference". Ian's lyrics helped me be more accepting of myself and the things around me, think things out and take a more intelligent approach in life. Oh and Fugazi was great! They're one of the best Post-Hardcore bands

7 Seconds:

7 Seconds I got into when I was new to Hardcore. After hearing Minor Threat's "Straight Edge" I wanted more of that kind of stuff. I bought "Take it Back, Take it On, Take It Over!" at a store at random without knowing any of the songs. I thought it was ok (I love the record now) but it's was "Young 'Till I die" that hooked me in. Kevin's lyrics showed me that it's possible to take youthful aspirations and energy into adulthood. Not everybody has to work a boring "9-to-5" job and much like Minor Threat, he inspired me to take an extra step. Their positive lyrics made me release how great life really is. Also songs like "Colourblind" and "Regress? No Way!" opened my eyes to topics such as racism and homophobia.

There's a few more important musicians out there but these guys are the best I can think of right now. They're probably the most important.

The Clash

Green Day

Green Day: Because their music describes my life everyday and they also help me with their songs messages

The OP said individual musicians. Can no one on this forum read?

Tom Waits and Bruce Springsteen have to be two for me, just in terms of their lyrics. They've inspired countless bands and artists across every genre.

Ginger Baker is an underappreciated genius. That guy could do more with a 3 piece kit than most modern metal drummers could do with a full one.

• Blond-O-Sonic Shimmer Trap and Basic Radio like this

Radio Victim

Radio Victim
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Joined Oct 23, 2012
  • 245 rep

The OP said individual musicians. Can no one on this forum read?

Tom Waits and Bruce Springsteen have to be two for me, just in terms of their lyrics. They've inspired countless bands and artists across every genre.

Ginger Baker is an underappreciated genius. That guy could do more with a 3 piece kit than most modern metal drummers could do with a full one.

amen the the Ginger Baker part!

Guest_As Good As It Gets_*

Guest_As Good As It Gets_*
  • Joined --
  • 0 rep

For me personally

Steve Gadd: Session drummer ace. Played with thousands of artists and bands (Eric Clapton, James Taylor, Paul Simon, Steely Dan, Frank Sinatra, Ringo Starr, Paul McCartney, the list goes on), and one of the greatest drummers ever to live

John Lennon, Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr and George Harrison: People can moan about them all day, I don't give a fuck. They broke so many boundaries and will continue to do so for years and years and years to come - get used to it

Miles Davis: Forefather of jazz.

• Basic Radio likes this

alaniluau

alaniluau
  • Like Every Other American

• 4,615 posts
  • Joined Jun 26, 2009
  • 1,183 rep

and Matt, what a beast on the bass, my god!

I love this because that's exactly the word I use to describe Matt's bass playing. It's undeniably beastly.

I'm on board with the guys from Operation Ivy. It's incredible that a few kids were able to put out one record that carved its own niche in history. Although the band split more than two decades ago, kids all around the world are still discovering them today. They've influenced a tremendous amount of artists, including a great deal of my favorites, and to me that epitomizes "important".
  • Cob and Radio Victim like this

Tre's Busted Drumkit

Tre's Busted Drumkit
  • "ben's actually a giant teddy bear" -Lone

• 8,809 posts
  • Joined Feb 25, 2010
  • 4,659 rep

Roger Waters. There has never been a better lyricist, period.

• gdpony and Basic Radio like this

Basic Radio

Basic Radio
  • Little One

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Joined Oct 10, 2012
  • 21 rep

I love Miles Davis! And of course Nick, personal reasons are implied!!

Céadóg

Céadóg
  • Fucking say it

• 18,273 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 21,107 rep

Roger Waters. There has never been a better lyricist, period.

Definitely one of the best. We'll see how time treats Simon Neil though.

Radio Victim

Radio Victim
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Joined Oct 23, 2012
  • 245 rep

I love this because that's exactly the word I use to describe Matt's bass playing. It's undeniably beastly.

I'm on board with the guys from Operation Ivy. It's incredible that a few kids were able to put out one record that carved its own niche in history. Although the band split more than two decades ago, kids all around the world are still discovering them today. They've influenced a tremendous amount of artists, including a great deal of my favorites, and to me that epitomizes "important".

thats true, i mean if i didnt like GD there is a big chance i wouldve never even discovered op ivy. but to be fair i am only 17 and REALLY devoted my life to music about 2 years ago so branching out to bands like op ivy and descendents and so on in only 2 years is something to be proud of to me

plus im surrounded by pop, rap and metalheads so for me to love punk shows that ill say "fuck what you like, i dont need to listen to what you listen to to be friends with you" :)

Guest_Just Another Joe_*

Guest_Just Another Joe_*
  • Joined --
  • 0 rep

I love Miles Davis! And of course Nick, personal reasons are implied!!

Thanks for letting me know! :)

Blond-O-Sonic Shimmer Trap

• Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,383 posts
  • Joined Apr 11, 2009
  • 673 rep

Alex Turner

He is my favourite musician of all time, has been for many years now and it's for a number of reasons. Lyrically no one can match him, at least not in my lifetime. He has a brilliant observational style as well as a knack for writing lines that roll off the tongue really well. It's almost rap at times, particularly the first record. His lyrics range from wry observations about mundane elements of life to the big subjects, fame, love, heartbreak, to the bizarre and off the wall. I love that he has a superb taste in all kinds of music, from desert rock to country to hip-hop to 60s pop and everything in between, these influences all make his music stand out.

Aside from the Arctic Monkeys, he has a side project The Last Shadow Puppets which made one superb album influenced by 60s artists like Scott Walker, and he also did the soundtrack for the film Submarine, which was released as an EP and it's perfect acoustic music.

• Basic Radio likes this

Advertising

She is Amanda

She is Amanda
  • and your name is Harry

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,431 posts
  • Joined Apr 24, 2012
  • 1,135 rep

Kurt Cobain- He will always be my hero.The way he carried himself. They way he was so against the mainstream. The way he hid the fact that the music industry was changing him. 

• Basic Radio, Cath and OhTheGuilt. like this

stan the harmonica man

stan the harmonica man
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Joined Jun 03, 2011
  • 145 rep

Elvis Presley and Buddy Holly,(Watch Nowhere Boy it tells John Lennon's story quite well) because without them John Lennon wouldn't have had inspiration to form a band. Without his inspiration, The Beatles wouldn't have ever formed. Without the Beatles forming, there wouldn't be any "Hey Jude", "Let It Be", "Yesterday", or any of the other huge hits the Beatles had. I could go on and on, but I'm just gonna stop there. 

• Basic Radio and Samantha Cabrera like this

Cob

Cob
  • They Speak of My Drinking, But Never of my Thirst

• 3,036 posts
  • Joined Oct 05, 2012
  • 2,596 rep

Edited for reasons. Didn't know we needed them. Ha. 

James Hetfield - The reason I play guitar. Metallica made me take music seriously and will always be square one for me. They got me into metal and they played a huge role in getting me into punk rock. With out Hetfield's riffs, rhythms, vocals, and lyrics I have no idea where I would be today. 

Billie Joe Armstrong, Mike Dirnt, Tre Cool, and Jason White - need I say more? These guys completely changed my taste in music and inspired me to write for myself. Jason White because his presence helped me solidify myself as a rhythm and lead guitarist. 

Steve Jones - If Hetfield made me take the guitar seriously, then Jones was my teacher. Seriously, watching videos of this dude riff taught me how to play rock n' roll.  

Johnny, Joey, and Dee Dee Ramone - taught me that simple music is the best music. 

Dave Grohl - such an inspiring person. And not just as a musician but as a person, too. I want to be Dave Grohl when I grow up, such a legend. 

Pat Smear - another person that inspired me to play aggressive rhythms. His guitar style is monster. 

• Basic Radio likes this

Demon!Dean

Demon!Dean
  • And I breathe No More

• 9,447 posts
  • Joined Dec 06, 2011
  • 2,073 rep

i look up to:

Amy Lee,    i just adore the lyrics in most of her songs that she wrote. they speak to me

Billie Joe Armstrong, Mike Dirnt, Tre Cool..... 'nuff said.

George Harrison, he was one hell of a guitarist.

as a child i looked up to Avril Lavigne, Pink, Michelle Branch, Vanessa Carlton, etc.

• Basic Radio likes this

Matt.

Matt.
  • Pump Ass

• 5,788 posts
  • Joined Oct 17, 2006
  • 3,655 rep

Oh. em. gee. Green Day of course!!! Luv them!!!!!1!

• Tre's Busted Drumkit likes this

alaniluau

alaniluau
  • Like Every Other American

• 4,615 posts
  • Joined Jun 26, 2009
  • 1,183 rep

Number one on my list has to be Paul Westerberg, who is a walking dichotomy. Plenty of artists can be the weary, tortured soul, just as plenty of artists can be the irreverent, trashy rocker. Not many can excel on both ends of the spectrum. Paul, however, embodies both archetypes to their fullest potential. I've listened to Let It Be more times than there are letters in this paragraph, and I still don't understand how the touching Androgynous can flourish alongside the delightfully crass Gary's Got A Boner and Tommy Gets His Tonsils Out. And on top of all this, the album is names after a Beatles record?! Somehow it all works, and the effects are overwhelming. Paul was at the helm of an unwieldy--but somehow wonderful--vessel.

Not many would include my next pick under "most important musicians". Some have never heard his name, while others are bitter over archaic punk semantics. But no matter what the score, Blake Schwarzenbach is one of the greatest artists of my lifetime. When you pop in one of his records, it's like sitting down to chat with a confidant. He explains what you're feeling in far better terms than you ever could. In addition to being a scary good lyricist, his voice can command listeners to feel any emotion he pleases. He can make you feel like the happiest soul in the world just as easily as he can make you feel like a miserable pile of trash. It speaks bounds that his songs--whether they be Jawbreaker, Jets, Thorns, or Forgetters--have been covered across the boundaries of time and genre. Blake's work leaves me grappling with disbelief that anything could be so good.

• Blond-O-Sonic Shimmer Trap likes this

VisionsofGreenDay115

VisionsofGreenDay115
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  • Joined Jan 04, 2012
  • 181 rep

Kurt Cobain- He will always be my hero.The way he carried himself. They way he was so against the mainstream. The way he hid the fact that the music industry was changing him. 

Holy shit how could anyone not agree with this.

Vespertine

Vespertine
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,092 posts
  • Joined Nov 16, 2009
  • 455 rep

Death Cab For Cutie (especially Ben Gibbard). They might not be much relevant in the music industry, but they're important to me. Their music speaks to me on a very, very personal level. 

21stcenturyidiot

21stcenturyidiot
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Joined May 06, 2009
  • 140 rep

Freddie Mercury  because....Freddie  Mercury

• Rock_N_Roll_Girlfriend likes this

• Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,383 posts
  • Joined Apr 11, 2009
  • 673 rep

Would someone who was so against the mainstream play countless MTV events or sign to a major label? For me the most fascinating thing about Kurt was always  the cognitive dissonance between wanting to be the biggest band in the world that everyone heard and yet wanted to be really credible and have it be just about the music and have the right sort of fans and everything. If I was a musician in a band starting to blow up and get attention like Nirvana I know I'd be the exact same in terms of being really self conscious about the balancing act between massive success and credibility.

• Basic Radio likes this

kaylubd

kaylubd
  • Resident Shultz/Bellamy Enthusiast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,349 posts
  • Joined Feb 02, 2012
  • 2,489 rep

Kurt Cobain is an obvious choice as some have pointed out and I would vote for him, but I also think Robert Smith from the Cure is really important to music.

Him and the entire band have influence countless musicians that you wouldn't even think of like Blink-182 and AFI. I think they're done a lot not just for "goth rock" but for music in general because they're a band who's not afraid to take risks or to change their sound if it fancies them. I really think they deserve more recognition than they currently get.

• Basic Radio likes this

Doris The Spider

Doris The Spider
  • Who-ligan

• 2,120 posts
  • Joined Jun 13, 2010
  • 551 rep

Alice Cooper - He went from being an alcoholic to going cold turkey and got sober. And has been sober for almost 30 years. Plus he is a born again Christian. Not to mention his music opened doors for bands like Slipknot, etc. He also appreciates all types of music. He isn't a rockstar who puts down pop stars. He is a fan of both Lady Gaga and Ke$ha. Although I don't know how I feel about that. But he still breaks the rockstar stereotype. He is the coolest guy alive imo.

Ted Nugent - He may be kind of an extremist. But I like that his politics are the opposite of most famous people. He is also so cool to me.

John Entwistle - Greatest bass player ever. He is my favorite musician EVER. I wish The Who had used more of his songs because his solo stuff is amazing. I have never heard anything like it. Also I love the irony and dark humor in his songs.

Adele - I think she is the perfect pop star for young girls to look up to. And even though her and I are the same age I look up to her.  I think she is inspirational because she is herself. And she isn't like other pop stars.

And then bands like Green Day and Linkin Park taught me to not care what other people think of me.

• Basic Radio likes this

Sleeper Agent.

Sleeper Agent.
  • The 7 Digit Let Down

• 4,702 posts
  • Joined Apr 02, 2011
  • 2,480 rep

Jimi Hendrix, simply because he set in motion all of the rock bands, then metal bands of the past, which have now created influences of their own. I love how he is able to have this incredible command over his instrument. Sure, he isn't "as great" as some of the new guitarists who can do tapping and sweeping and stuff, but that's because that wasn't around in the late 60's.

Chrigel Glanzmann (He's the lead vocals of Eluveitie) he is basically my favourite musician of all times. he just seems to be very cool off stage and very awesome on stage, he pretty much self funded Eluveitie as a solo project, which I give him a lot of respect for that. I like how him (and the band) combine history of the gaulish and the use of traditional instruments and modern instruments to make an amazing sound.

Matt Freeman is my favourite bassist, I love his bass riffs in Rancids albums, the fills in Energy by Operation Ivy, I marvel in the creativeness of his riffs, he is one of my greatest bass influences, always loved him as a bassist, even since I started playing bass, his riffs seem so happy, and bouncy, well to me anyway. 

• Basic Radio likes this

• Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,383 posts
  • Joined Apr 11, 2009
  • 673 rep

Ted Nugent - He may be kind of an extremist. But I like that his politics are the opposite of most famous people. He is also so cool to me.

Wut. Guy is an absolute fucking moron.

• Jimmy McNulty and Céadóg like this

Jimmy McNulty

Jimmy McNulty
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  • Joined Jul 28, 2012
  • 352 rep

I agree with JackBauer.Ted Nugent is moron and racist.Racism is not cool.Obviously is the culture of idiots like him.

• Basic Radio likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users