Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Synthetic Weed Leaves Girl Paralysed

News Debate

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Vesper

Vesper
  • Sand Snake

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,955 posts
  • Joined Jun 10, 2010
  • 6,579 rep

Interesting article, begs the question - how is this better than legalising the real thing, and removing these dangerous "legal" substances from garage store shelves? 

Didn't want this to get lost in the detritus of the drugs thread, so started a new topic. 

Should we legalise some drugs to prevent these "legal highs" from being available? 

Khris

Khris
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Joined Nov 06, 2006
  • 229 rep

Damn that was intense. maybe the best thing to do is to just legalize. Good thing it's legal over here in Cali

• OneSongInFrench likes this

Céadóg

Céadóg
  • Fucking say it

• 17,034 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 18,836 rep

Strongest case for legalization I've ever heard. Though of course the government will just ban the synthetic stuff and ignore the problem.

LazyPhil

LazyPhil
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts
  • Joined Sep 18, 2010
  • 503 rep

Damn that was intense. maybe the best thing to do is to just legalize. Good thing it's legal over here in Cali

Is it? I thought it was only in Colorado and Washington  :shok:

Vesper

Vesper
  • Sand Snake

• 17,955 posts
  • Joined Jun 10, 2010
  • 6,579 rep

Strongest case for legalization I've ever heard. Though of course the government will just ban the synthetic stuff and ignore the problem.

But as the article says, when they do that the formula changes from idk C2H4NO(NOT THE REAL FORMULA DON'T EVEN TRY IT, the real thing will be far far more complex), to C3H6NO(Still not the real formula!)  :thumbsup: ... and so the problem goes on. 

P.S - even though I have no idea what those compounds are, I did actually sit and figure out so their valency values would work. :P

OneSongInFrench

OneSongInFrench
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • Joined Aug 22, 2006
  • 167 rep

While I personally do not smoke, drink or anything - (religious choice, shocking from a "Green Day" fan I know ha), I think it's smartest to just legalize the substance and tax it. Marijuana will be used forever, and it's used practically by everyone already - why continue to waste millions in taxpayer dollars prosecuting and policing the transactions and use of it, when you can grow it, federalize it and make a huge profit (like the cigarette industry.) I know my opinion has been stated millions of times, but it just baffles me. Even from someone who doesn't use it, I just think it's stupid to continue to go down a neanderthal road of bureaucratic bullshit and just evolve and make the most out of what people will do regardless! 

Tre's Busted Drumkit

Tre's Busted Drumkit
  • "ben's actually a giant teddy bear" -Lone

• 8,808 posts
  • Joined Feb 25, 2010
  • 4,646 rep

Legalize pot. It's more dangerous as an illegal drug than it is as a legal source of tax dollars. To paraphrase the great Katt Williams, when's the last time you heard of someone OD'ing on weed?

• OneSongInFrench likes this

Céadóg

Céadóg
  • Fucking say it

• 17,034 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 18,836 rep

But as the article says, when they do that the formula changes from idk C2H4NO(NOT THE REAL FORMULA DON'T EVEN TRY IT, the real thing will be far far more complex), to C3H6NO(Still not the real formula!)  :thumbsup: ... and so the problem goes on. 

P.S - even though I have no idea what those compounds are, I did actually sit and figure out so their valency values would work. :P

YOU'RE A HISTORY STUDENT YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO SPEAK SCIENCE  :mad:

Yeah, that's exactly the problem they had with "head shops" over here a few years back. Everytime something got banned, the formula would be tweaked slightly and pretty much the same drug would be back in stock within the week.

Vesper

Vesper
  • Sand Snake

• 17,955 posts
  • Joined Jun 10, 2010
  • 6,579 rep

YOU'RE A HISTORY STUDENT YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO SPEAK SCIENCE  :mad:

Yeah, that's exactly the problem they had with "head shops" over here a few years back. Everytime something got banned, the formula would be tweaked slightly and pretty much the same drug would be back in stock within the week.

I guess I'm just awesome at everything *flicks hair*. 

Odd, we never had those over here. I remember seeing them in Australia though. 

Legalize pot. It's more dangerous as an illegal drug than it is as a legal source of tax dollars. To paraphrase the great Katt Williams, when's the last time you heard of someone OD'ing on weed?

I suppose the main argument against it is one, the gateway drug thing, and two the mental issues that come from smoking too much.

Céadóg

Céadóg
  • Fucking say it

• 17,034 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 18,836 rep

I guess I'm just awesome at everything *flicks hair*. 

Odd, we never had those over here. I remember seeing them in Australia though. 

I suppose the main argument against it is one, the gateway drug thing, and two the mental issues that come from smoking too much.

Yeah, we just loosened loopholes in the law, something about boosting the economy. They tightened them back up again once shit like this started happening.

Alcohol is just as much a gateway drug as pot. And more harmful. The anti marijuana arguments have been sounding weak for a long time now.

Trotsky

Trotsky
  • I sought my image in the scorching glass

• 29,213 posts
  • Joined Sep 23, 2006
  • 7,249 rep

I smoked synthetic weed once, a few years ago. Terrible fucking experience. One minute I felt nothing than the next moment I lost a few moments of time. There was an echoing, never ending repetitive sound so foreign and unworldly I can't even describe it that repeated inside my head for over an hour. I tried to take a shower to calm down because I couldn't think at all and was getting scared because I felt like I experienced ego death in a very bad way, not the cool way people who do hallucinogens describe. Finally went to sleep and woke up the next morning like nothing happened. Didn't dream at all that night, had no headache, "hangover", or any sort of effect. 

Definitely not worth it. I'll add that I've smoked real weed a few times and don't much care for it, though I might find myself doing that again on some occasion, but that artificial shit fuck no.

Also I bought cigarettes from gas stations from time to time and the guys there would try pushing it on me, insisting it was really good and saying they'd give me half off, trying to sell me a pipe to go with it, they were rather sleazy. Had an experience of someone pushing fake weed on me as recently as a year ago before the county started cracking down hardcore on it. Consequently, the area I live in has one of the worst drug problems in the whole country, mostly from abusing prescription drugs. 

Not going to gasp and say "holy shit that could have been me", regardless of how true that may or may not have been, at this point it doesn't matter. But I will tell everyone, synthetic weed is an altered state a little worse than what it would feel like to be beaten senseless, don't do it. 

Guest_As Good As It Gets_*

• Joined --
  • 0 rep

My heart goes out to this poor girl, as well as her family - may they recover and heal

We wouldn't have this problem if cannabis were legalized

The two main points against legalizing it are these - one, risk of mental disorders and two, gateway theory - there's others, but let's cover these ones

I agree completely that someone under the age of 18 should not smoke cannabis. Developing brains, lack of maturity and all that. That being said, if we had legalization in place, we would be in more control and would be able to prevent kids and teenagers buying it, so this wouldn't be a problem - prohibition makes this problem worse - this isn't a problem for people 18 and over, so why stop people who wish to consume, smoke, vaporise cannabis? Prohibiting something does not stop people wanting to get that something - they'll just get it from a different source

The gateway theory is again, a problem that arises because of prohibition - a dealer would offer kids cannabis, and maybe suggest other drugs 'Hey, you want to try something stronger?'

The main reasons that cannabis hasn't been legalized up until now is because of the people in government who are bought and sold by lobbyists - alcohol, tobacco, Big Pharma, lumber, oil - cannabis and hemp are worth more than all of these combined

JIGD13

JIGD13
  • I Turned into a Martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,787 posts
  • Joined Jul 02, 2012
  • 2,601 rep

I still think drugs legalization should go but if it's only used for medical purposes

Louiejub

Louiejub
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Joined Nov 24, 2012
  • 433 rep

I still don't understand why weed isn't legal but alchohol is.

1. They're practically the same, except weed doesn't ruin your liver and can't kill you (well, except when you're high and driving or something, but alchohol does that when you're drunk).

2. It's a natural substance, so there's practically NO production cost if you grow it (unless you count the various toys you use with them).

3. You practically can't overdose on weed, when it's SUPER easy to do on alchohol and other man-made drugs.

4. Weed HEALS way more people than it kills.

Weed is just overall safer than alcohol, and definately more than these synthetic drugs. Why it isn't legal yet I'll never know.

Céadóg

Céadóg
  • Fucking say it

• 17,034 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 18,836 rep

Oh yeah, just so you guys know, the reason weed is illegal is because during the 30s a rich white guy, whose paper company was under threat from the hemp industry, told a court that smoking pot caused white women to want to sleep with black men.

This is 100% true. I wish I was joking.

• Caractériel likes this

Advertising

Caractériel

Caractériel
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts
  • Joined May 14, 2010
  • 415 rep

Such a sad story. But if weed was legal, things like this would be far less likely to happen. Fact. Prohibition is the reason why so many people turn to these legal highs in the first place, not realising that these substances contain all sorts of toxic shit. I've no doubt that she purchased the synthetic weed as an alternative to breaking the law, a law which shouldn't even exist.

The argument that Marijuana use leads to mental disorders is kind of weak. It's been shown in studies that most people who have developed such disorders, had a predisposition for mental illness, it has very little to do with the drug itself. Like many people have said in the Drugs thread, the reason why Marijuana is prohibited is completely down to politics and money. The timber companies, tobacco, alcohol and pharmaceutical giants will not let the government go ahead with legalisation, because they know that legal Marijuana trade will cut into their profits. That's without mentioning the problem of the right wing, fire and brimstone types that hold considerable power over the people that make the tough decisions, especially in the US. 

Here in the UK, the idea of legalisation has been discussed, but only tentatively, and as long as we have media outlets like the Daily Mail, and the Murdoch owned Sky News, to scare people into rejecting the idea of lifting prohibition, it won't happen. 

Synthetic weed is bad. I've tried it a couple of times, and it's nothing like the real thing. The last time I tried it, I was pretty ill for a couple of days. The thing is, it's so easily available. You can buy it online and have it delivered to your door, along with other synthetic 'drugs' that have also been known to kill people. 

• Joined --
  • 0 rep

Oh yeah, just so you guys know, the reason weed is illegal is because during the 30s a rich white guy, whose paper company was under threat from the hemp industry, told a court that smoking pot caused white women to want to sleep with black men.

This is 100% true. I wish I was joking.

Who goes by the name of Harry J Anslinger

Reefer Madness is worth a watch

Céadóg

Céadóg
  • Fucking say it

• 17,034 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 18,836 rep

Who goes by the name of Harry J Anslinger

Reefer Madness is worth a watch

Reefer Madness is one of the funniest things I have ever seen. Such awful propaganda.

• Joined --
  • 0 rep

What's tragic is how many people at that time got brainwashed by it

Recent events give me hope for the future, but things like Marinol existing means we still have work to do

germanfuzaloo

germanfuzaloo
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Joined Apr 26, 2009
  • 58 rep

For the love of God, please get this off our streets! Spice is sold in gas stations around here in packages that obviously intend for the buyer to smoke it. I had the misfortune of smoking spice before. The only way I can describe it is, it's like a weed high, but more violent feeling. Plus, you only need about a bowl of this stuff to get crazy high, no matter your tolerance to weed, but people tend to not know this and they smoke entire joints of the stuff! I had heart palpitations the next day after only a bowl! The back of the packaging only listed "marshmallow leaves" as an ingredient. I'm sure there is stuff in spice that you wouldn't even put on your lawn!  It's obvious weed needs to be legalized and regulated so spice will go away.

Céadóg

Céadóg
  • Fucking say it

• 17,034 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 18,836 rep

Spice 

I know this is a very serious issue and all but once you said spice all I could think of was Star Wars. Fuckin' spice mines on Kessel.

germanfuzaloo

germanfuzaloo
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Joined Apr 26, 2009
  • 58 rep

I know this is a very serious issue and all but once you said spice all I could think of was Star Wars. Fuckin' spice mines on Kessel.

Haha that's exactly what I thought when I heard of it.

• Céadóg likes this

Ritz

Ritz
  • I am the motherfucking best- Mike Dirnt.

• 12,059 posts
  • Joined Mar 27, 2012
  • 7,363 rep

This is sad.

Juliette

Juliette
  • Wanderlust

• 9,062 posts
  • Joined May 04, 2007
  • 1,091 rep

Ugh these things are worse than illegal drugs. Some people I used to be friends with used to get legal drugs from this shop every week. They'd then be made illegal so they'd get something different each time, and cause they were all 'new' no one actually knew what the effects were. Stupidest thing ever. This one time at a house party they were all out their minds on this thing, it was terrifying. One of them actually died from it at a music festival last summer.

Hannah!

Hannah!
  • i'm the night sky

• 21,167 posts
  • Joined Oct 10, 2004
  • 8,028 rep

Synthetic weed is terrible. It scares me that people actually use it often. I only ever smoked it twice, almost 3 years ago and I would NEVER do it again. I felt like I was actually dying both times.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: News, Debate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users