Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Top 5 album(Non-Green Day)

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

21stcenturyidiot

21stcenturyidiot
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Joined May 06, 2009
  • 140 rep

Inspired by the "Top 3 bands" I thought this would be good (not sure if it already exists, if it does I apologise) 

So, top non green day albums?

Mine, in no particular order

1) Never Mind the Bollocks - Sex Pistols - Ferocious album, truly excellent. 

2) Something to believe in - The Razorbax - Not  a big band, got to know them through a Green Day tribute band(they get their namesake from Green Day) but this album is amazing, like a mixture of NMTB, Dookie, Idiot and so many other great bands. 

3a) Jeff Wayne's war  of the worlds - Simply epic. Not the usual " album" but my word it's good. I can't really describe it, if you've not heard  it, get on it....now!

3b) Lostprophets - Liberation Transmission -A band from my teen years, great catchy tunes, just an all round good sounding album

4) In with the out crowd - Less than Jake - Another  band from my teen years, again; great catchy tunes, just an all round good sounding album

5) Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden - Great album, great band. Completely different music than my other choices, but just an all round awesome album

Runners  up

1) Nevermind  - Nirvana

2) Young and the Hopeless - Good Charlotte

• November's Storms likes this

Gregorovich

Gregorovich
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • Joined Oct 20, 2012
  • 481 rep

In no particular order...

The Who: Quadrophenia

Fantastic album. Possibly the best rock concept album out there. When it's turned into a musical and an Academy Award-nominated film, you know it's good.

Sum 41: Screaming Bloody Murder

A fantastic album to wave in the faces of modern punk nay-sayers. This is living proof that Sum 41 are a band capable of far more than they are given credit for.

Foo Fighters: Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace

There is something incredible about this album, which I can't quite put my finger on. It's mind-blowingly punchy, and yet refined, elegant, and in extremely good taste.

AC/DC: Back In Black

Speaks for itself. Great album, great musicians. Not my favourite, but one of the best.

Ludovico Einaudi: In a Time Lapse

Just released, this will probably fall down in time. A bit of a change of pace; Einaudi is a minimalist neo-classical composer, and a perfect start into classical for those who appreciate minimalism and melody. This album is certainly his best.

Céadóg

Céadóg
  • Fucking say it

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,051 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 18,902 rep
  • The Clash - London Calling: Do I really need to explain this? Probably one of the most perfect albums ever made. 19 tracks, and not a dud amongst them. Soul, jazz, punk, reggae, it has it all.
  • Tom Waits - Closing Time: The best ever first album? It's one of the definitive works of bar room jazz, with all the world weariness of Waits' lyrics, and before his voice was ruined by bourbon and cigarettes. Some absolute tear jerkers on it. Master of making the complicated sound easy.
  • Bruce Springsteen - Greetings From Asbury Park, N.J.: Could have picked one of any number of albums from The Boss, but I'll go with his first because it reminds me that even 40 years ago he was as accomplished a songwriter as he is today. Blinded By The Light and Spirit In The Night are fan favourites, but the reality is there isn't a bad song on this album.
  • Biffy Clyro - Opposites: In all honesty, I could have made this list of just Biffy albums, but I decided to be fair and give other artists a shot. This album is only out a week, and I have a feeling that it's going to be my favourite from them for a long time. A double album, they throw down 20 perfect songs in under an hour and a half. Any one of those could be singles. I don't envy the record label trying to choose them. From mariachi bands to hardcore breakdowns this album has it all, and never loses it's vision or becomes overblown.
  • blink-182 - Enema Of The State: Perfect snot-nosed pop punk album. People can argue that Take Off Your Pants... is a more lyrically mature album, but is that really what we want from blink?

All in no particular order, of course.

burnout409

burnout409
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts
  • Joined Jul 03, 2011
  • 228 rep

1) The Replacements - Let It Be

Amazing album i could listen to it all day, so many amazing songs on their, Paul Westerberg is an amazing songwriter!

2) Husker Du - Candy Apple Grey

Both Grant and Bob's Song writing is at their best on this album, i still love everything else Husker Du did, but think this album is just amazing!

3) Dillinger Four - Situationist Comedy

I always love D4's Song titles and i always love their music even more, i love all their albums and really they're all tied for my favorite, but i pick 'Situationist Comedy' because it was the first one i owned!

4) The Distillers - Coral Fang

I love this album (almost as much as i love Brody Dalle)! Not one bad song on the album!

5) Good Riddance - Ballads From the Revolution

Great album, im not straight edge or anything, but i think these guys wrote some great songs, 'Not With Him' is one of my favorites along with 'Slowly' and 'Salt', again this album would have tied with a couple of Good Riddance albums but i chose this one for the same reason as 'Situationist Comedy'.

Close behind:

David Bowie -  The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars

The Clash - The Clash

The Who - Who's Next

• Katarina. and Jimmy McNulty like this

Big Cheese

Big Cheese
  • Tom's Other Lackey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,596 posts
  • Joined Nov 04, 2011
  • 1,430 rep

1. The Clash - S/T debut (US)
Amazing album! 15 tracks and not one dud. This album has been a huge influence to me. One of the greatest albums ever made if not the greatest.

2. Metallica - Ride the Lightning
8 songs and not one dud on this album. Cliff Burton was a fucking musical genius, and it really shows on songs like "For Whom the Bell Tolls" or "The Call of Ktulu". All the members are great, but Cliff was the most genius.

3. Nirvana - Nevermind

Although alot of hardcore Nirvana fans think In Utero is their best, this one will always be my favorite (even though I'm a big fan). The first track is kind of a dud IMO, but the rest of the record is pure gold. Hugely influential.

4. Foo Fighters - Wasting Light

The best album of this whole decade, as well as one of the best albums ever made. I can't tell you how many times I've listened to it, at least 100 times! Not one dud on this record.

5. Bad Brains - S/T debut

I don't care too much for the 3 reggae tracks, but every other song is gold. Another highly-influential record. Hands down the best hardcore punk album of all time.

Honorable mentions:

Suicidal Tendencies - S/T debut

Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables

Pinhead Gunpowder - Goodbye Ellston Avenue

Foo Fighters - There Is Nothing Left to Lose

That was kinda hard, there are ALOT of good records out there that I didn't mention!

Cat C

Cat C
  • Criminal of Thought

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • Joined Oct 11, 2010
  • 3,828 rep

1) Born This Way - Lady Gaga. "In a year, from one album, Gaga has released 5 singles, 5 videos, had a Thanksgiving special, headlined in New York City on New Year’s eve, been around the entire world promoting at least twice, opened her own charity foundation inspiring youth bravery, while at the same time wearing heels higher than the Empire State building and keeping her flawless image intact. If that wasn’t enough, the themes in Born This Way range from self-acceptance to relationships, and throughout the album Gaga preaches a positive message of love and unity. There are unhappy themes, coming from dark caverns of Gaga/Stefani’s psyche, but instead of dwelling on her mistakes she moves on, triumphant, into the future. Sonically, Born This Way could be described perfectly as “Avant-guard techno rock”, however there are even country influences, electro pop, plus vintage 80’s references unusually suited yet mixed into the tracks too. This album feels more than your typical pop album, or acoustic set with a melodramatic attitude, and is instead is a fist-pumping, heart throbbing anthem for modern youth society. It’s a defining moment for pop culture, tied into 17 tracks of pure musical genius." - That's what I wrote about it in a blog post a year ago, and those feelings haven't changed! 

2) Sam's Town - The Killers. This album is very visual to me. I love the dusty neon signs in the videos, and the hot sun, and the desert. I also love how in this album, the band seem more honest about their roots. During the release and hype around Hot Fuss, everybody thought they were English band, but in Sam's Town they're singing about their home and glamourising the trashy wasteland like it's the greatest place to be on earth, and I like that. Plus, I love how it's more conventionally rock than all of their other albums.

3) The Fame Monster - Lady Gaga. Had to go for Gagz again. I just adore the age-old story of the girl who had big dreams, achieved them all, and realised they're not all they cracked up to be. Being the sucker for lyrics and album story lines that I am, one of my favourite aspects about this album is that each song represents a different "monster" of fame (sex monster, money monster, loneliness monster) that Gaga encountered on her rise to superstardom. As much as I don't like to think about chart positions, the fact that this was a highlight of her career just makes the story all the more poignant. Also, this sound is the style pop artists will be chasing for years. It's perfect feminine pop combined with a darkness and actual depth. 

4) Back in Black - AC/DC. One of those rare albums where every song is an absolute blinder. You could be knitting a scarf with your nan and feel like a badass listening to this rock n' roll masterpiece. It's possibly one of the BEST rock albums of all time, and that won't change. Ever. I cannot fault anything about this album, honestly. I'm never not in the mood to listen to it. (Won't describe the songs or the lyrics or the feel, because no doubt most people here will have heard it!)

5) Blood Sugar Sex Magik - Red Hot Chili Peppers. No matter how many albums this band releases, or how many guitarists they swap and change, this will always be my perfect Chili Peppers. They really came into their own this this album. Not only has it soundtracked many great moments in my life, but it has inspired me to improve as a musician and to play different styles of music. Honourable mention: The Fame - Lady Gaga, Master of Puppets - Metallica.

Kid A

Kid A
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Joined Jun 13, 2011
  • 489 rep

1. The Bends - (Radiohead) The bands Finest work and the last album where thom yorke still lets his band mates use the guitar.

2.In the aeroplane over the sea (Neutral Milk Hotel) - Arguably, the most well written album of all time. It's a concept album about anne frank and a jewish family that Jeff Mangum has recurring dreams off. 

3.Greatest Hits (The Offspring) - This album is the one who introduced me to Punk rock, A great way to start if you want to get into Californian punk rock.

4.Grace (Jeff Buckley) - It's really well recorded album, It's nearly perfect. Jeff Buckley's voice is like HDTV to your ears. A great post break up album.

5.Take off your pants and jacket (Blink 182) - Fucking hell, Blink's greatest work. The songs are catchy and upbeat, Indeed one of the greatest Punk record of all time.

Sam Smith

Sam Smith
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Joined Oct 19, 2012
  • 42 rep

In no order;

Enter Shikari; Take To The Skies

MUSE; Origin Of Symmetry

A Day To Remember; Homesick

Rancid; ...And Out Come The Wolves

Enter Shikari; A Flash Flood Of Colour.

boom.   

Alan86

Alan86
  • It's Ok, Im a Limo Driver

• 4,881 posts
  • Joined Nov 16, 2005
  • 1,959 rep
  • 1. Nevermind - Nirvana:  This is the first album I became attached too. Initially I just bought it cause I heard and liked a few of the songs on it. Overtime I became so obsessed with this album that i listened to it almost every day for 2 or 3 years.
  • 2. All That You Can't Leave Behind - U2: Say what you want about U2, people seem to love giving them a hard time these days but they have some great songs in there back catalog. Anyway this album came out when I first started liking rock music and "Beautiful Day" and "Elevation" were really popular songs. The rest of the album is really good to but those  2 are the only real rockers on it. It also has so great ballads.
  • 3. Nothing Left to Lose - Foo Fighters: This Album was the First Foo Fighters Album that I liked every single song form. The previous 2 albums had been good but this seemed like a big step up. 11 songs that I could easily listen to anytime in any order, every song is a hit.
  • 4. Hybrid Theory - Linkin Park: Loved every single song on this album, Linkin Park were very different to anything else going on in music when they hit the music scene. Having 2 singers who were completely different, one using a more rapping style and the other more of a rock/metal vocalist. The contrast in vocals in every song was great. (Sadly Linkin Park today has completely abandoned the sound on this album and they are trying things that don't interst me anymore) 
  • 5. Unplugged - Nirvana: This is a live album but if you didn't know that this could easily be mistaken for a studio album of acoustic songs. I love what Nirvana did on this album, it brings a completely different atmosphere to their songs and the covers they played were spot on too. To me this album is a piece of magic/genius that was thankfully recorded in great quality.

• November's Storms and Big Cheese like this

Guest_As Good As It Gets_*

Guest_As Good As It Gets_*
  • Joined --
  • 0 rep

Stevie Wonder - Innervisions: Weird one, this. It's very much a social commentary album, commenting on social issues at the time, but I've never heard an album that covers them in the way this does - Living in the City never fails to floor me, but the whole album is incredible

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Into the Great Wide Open: I'm very attached to this one. Learning to Fly was a song that stayed with me for a long time, and helped me overcome situations, and as I got older, I went on to appreciate the whole album. Remains my good mood album

Little Feat - Let It Roll: Think New Orleans & Country combined. This album is that, and every song feels completely fresh but you still feel like it's new

The Rolling Stones - Some Girls: Again, another album that led as an introduction to something new. It's nice to listen to this one from start to finish

Steely Dan - Aja: Now this is an interesting one. Jazz and rock combined. Certainly original, and even though I listen to different albums by them more these days (Two Against Nature), it still feels great to chuck on Home At Last

HeroesandCons86

HeroesandCons86
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Joined Sep 01, 2012
  • 52 rep

Not in order:

Abbey Road-The Beatles

Origin of Symmetry- Muse

Wasting Light- Foo Fighters

Nevermind- Nirvana

Blunderbuss- Jack White

These are my favourite albums RIGHT NOW not ever. That would be impossible to define in 5 albums.

EggMong

EggMong
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Joined Nov 26, 2012
  • 45 rep

Off the top of my head and in no particular order: (I'm sure I've missed something!)

• Greatest Hits - Blink 182. This is one of the first albums I listened to and liked. There's a few songs near the beginning that I think are pretty average but other than that it's just awesome.
  • Dirt - Kids in Glass Houses. I borrowed this from my friend before we went to see Lostprophets and we heard KIGH might be supporting - although they didn't in the end. I'd heard of them but never actually listened to them so it was very surprising when I discovered how good this was! I love there other albums too but this is just something else.
  • Second Family - Patent Pending. A tiny band from Mount Sinai, New York who were introduced to me when they supported Bowling For Soup in October. They were absolutely awesome live and so I decided to get their most recent album, Second Family (I didn't get the album until they got back from touring the UK because they actually had to send me it themselves!) They are genuinely nice guys and it really shows in the album - 15 unbelievably catchy, clever and consistent songs. I only expect them to get bigger (and I hope so too because they deserve it.)
  • Liberation Transmission - Lostprophets. I had trouble choosing which Lostprophets album was my favorite but in the end it has to be this - it's just so consistently awesome! I'm a massive Lostprophets fan - they were the first band I saw live and the only band I've always listened to.
  • Minutes to Midnight - Linkin Park. Just an all-round great album. I know some people don't like the 'route' Linkin Park have gone down but I love it and I love this.

DTH

DTH
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • Joined Apr 02, 2012
  • 486 rep

1. The Clash - The Clash (U.S.)  (1978)  - punk rock is my favorite musice genre. and if you need one punk rock album that shall be it.

2. Die Toten Hosen - Bis zum bitteren Ende (live) (1987) - you don't understand german? fuck it, listen to this album anyway. just pure energy. no wonder they sell out shows in a country with the most  insane crowd in the world - argentina. by the way: green was opening for them in germany just before dookie came out. after dookie came out they opened for green day

in return a couple of shows in america.

3. The Clah - Sandinista - actually nobody likes this album on the first listen. it took me one year until i noticed what a masterpiece this one is. rap, funk, reggea, dub, rock, pop... and some stuff you don't even have a name for. but no matter what genre: you always notice this is a clash song!

4. Jimi Hendrix - The Ultimative Experience (Compilation) - i guess the name of the artist and name of the albums says enough....

5. Bob Marley - Legend ( Compilation) - same counts for this one i guess....

Vic_Rattlehead

Vic_Rattlehead
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Joined Jul 03, 2011
  • 223 rep

The Beatles - Abbey Road

Just a brilliant album, and thankfully they got it together and made one last album for the ages before they broke up; imagine if Let it Be had been their goodbye to the world :P seventies rock before the seventies even started.

Clutch - Robot Hive/Exodus

The grooviest damn album you'll ever hear, with top notch lyrics and musicianship. If you've never heard of this, I urge you to get hold of it, Clutch are one of the most underrated bands going.

Marilyn Manson - Antichrist Superstar

Probably the darkest album I've ever heard, this album truly captures what Manson is about, featuring headbangers as well as atmospheric, dark tracks.

Megadeth - Rust in Peace

Definitely the greatest metal album ever made, featuring the best technical riff-ery I've ever heard. A true masterpiece in metal.

Eminem - The Marshall Mathers LP

Eminem at his peak, with a good mix of humorous and serious songs.

Blond-O-Sonic Shimmer Trap

• Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts
  • Joined Apr 11, 2009
  • 638 rep

• Tom Waits - Closing Time: The best ever first album? It's one of the definitive works of bar room jazz, with all the world weariness of Waits' lyrics, and before his voice was ruined by bourbon and cigarettes. Some absolute tear jerkers on it. Master of making the complicated sound easy.

Excellent choices generally,  especially the Tom Waits album, but by  "RUINED" I can only assume you mean "given godlike powers"

• Comrade likes this

Advertising

Comrade

Comrade
  • Razzamataz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,734 posts
  • Joined Aug 31, 2008
  • 5,477 rep

Siamese Dream - Smashing Pumpkins: My favourite of all time, and one of the best of the 90's. It is the great post-Nirvana grunge album, and marked the turning point from Grunge to Alt-rock dominating the mainstream for the next few years. It's almost flawless, and the starting point for anyone who wants to listen to the SPs. Visceral, bitter, sad, dreamy and laced with reflections of childhood innocence, I don't think there are many albums out there that could speak to a young person struggling to come to terms with themselves better than Siamese Dreams. It's perfect.

Is This It - The Strokes: Without this album there would be no Vampire Weekend, Arctic Monkeys, Libertines, The Vaccines, and The White Stripes would not have found fame as great as they did. It's the cornerstone of mainstream (and a whole lot of underground) rock music. Amazing slab of modern rock chronicling modern life. The production is stripped back and scuzzy, amazing riffs, it's energetic and every song is outstanding. The best debut album since Appetite for Destruction.

Different Class - Pulp: Oasis and Blur were the kings of Britpop and had all the anthems, but Pulp were the true voice of the people. It's got the best song of the 90's on it (Common People) and is consistently excellent from beginning to end. It's also plain sexy. It's one of the best examples of pop-rock for the masses and it still sounds fresh and vibrant today. It's also catchy as fuck. Just listen to the lyrics too. It's glamourisation of the every day stuff. and there is no one who can't connect with that.

By The Way - Red Hot Chili Peppers: So many great memories attached to this album. It's the album me and my friends always listen to on those summer days and nights spent drinking and catching up. Dosed also features possibly my favourite melody of all time. It's classic. For me, The Chili's are at their best when they are at their most melodic, and for that, this beats out even Californication for me. Melody and memories. I love it. 

Midnight Love - Marvin Gaye: I grew up in a house where my mum always talked about and played old Mowtown and Punk records. Punk always seemed quite disposable to me, and I plain don't agree with the scene or the politics, but Mowtown and soul - those things are eternal. sexy, groovy and beautiful. This is literally the coolest album I have ever heard. Marvin Gaye will always have a special place in my heart for his part in my childhood, and this was the first album of his I bought on Vinyl and really listened to independent of my parents. Pure class. 

Honourable mentions: Puzzle - Biffy Clyro, Marshal Mathers LP - Eminem, Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy - Kanye West, A Beautiful Lie - 30stm

• Blond-O-Sonic Shimmer Trap and Céadóg like this

chewychorizo

chewychorizo
  • cutie

• 13,072 posts
  • Joined Aug 24, 2008
  • 2,808 rep

In no order, really:

August and Everything After - Counting Crows: Love this album so much. Every song is beautiful, and Adam Duritz is my favourite songwriter of all time. Quality.

Marshall Mathers LP- Eminem: I grew up listening to this album (which sounds a little dubious, I know) so I have such fond memories of it. Plus it has Stan on it, wut up. Eminem when he was at his strongest. I loved The Slim Shady LP too, but this one was way grittier and when he started coming out of his shell. Love it. 

Californication- Red Hot Chilli Peppers: Best album from them. Every song is a classic, with special mentions going to Around the World (a quality album opener) and Road Trippin'. And of course Scar Tissue. And, well, Californication. I have so many memories with this song from my childhood, and the entire album just makes me happy.

There Is Nothing Left To Lose: Foo Fighers: Oyyyy. Fantastic album. Favourite song would have to be Gimme Stitches, with an honourable mention going to Next Year. It was brilliant to see them live and hear these songs ~in action. 

Graduation- Kanye West: I loved Kanye during this time (and beforehand, too). Every song is a hit, and his lyrics are excellent. Love the melodies, too. It also reminds me of my friends on holiday and just generally having a good time; I usually whack it on when I'm one of those 'feel good' moods. 

Honourable mentions: In Between Dreams- Jack Johnson; The College Dropout- Kanye West; Toxicity- System of a Down,  and Stadium Arcadium- Red Hot Chilli Peppers. :)

BloodSexNJasonWhite

BloodSexNJasonWhite
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Joined Apr 11, 2010
  • 25 rep

1) The Circus - Take That

2) Science and Faith  - The Script

3) The 2nd Law - Muse

4) Mylo Xyloto - ColdPlay

5) The Fame Monster - Lady GaGa

• Cat C likes this

November's Storms

November's Storms
  • Welcome to Paradise

• 10,531 posts
  • Joined Feb 09, 2010
  • 4,375 rep

In no order, really:

Honourable mentions: In Between Dreams- Jack Johnson; The College Dropout- Kanye West; Toxicity- System of a Down,  and Stadium Arcadium- Red Hot Chilli Peppers. :)

:thumbsup:

There are undoubtedly plenty of classic albums that have stood the test of time and I have all my favourite artists to thank for them, but my list is more personal than universal, and in  no particular order.

1. Jack Johnson-In Between Dreams: I went to Zambia in 2006, one of the most important periods of my life, and I was lucky enough to celebrate my birthday over there. The group bought me this album as a present, and it was the only Western music we had over there, so it was played all the time. It reminds me of how lucky I am in life, and how awesome that time was! It's also about love, life and laughter. Teaching me a very good way to live! Fav song: Constellations

2. Damien Dempsey-Shots: A Dublin folk singer, he's our Bob Dylan/Frank Turner/Bob Marlay and all round voice of the people. He came from a working class background and sings in an accessible and honest way every Dubliner can relate to, and I'd like to think almost everyone else who likes good music written with passion and pride! Fav song: Sing All Our Cares Away

3. Ben Folds-Rockin the Suburbs: Imagine a rock album with a piano instead of a guitar, that's a simple but generally accurate way of describing this. Every song is fantastic. There's a lovely mix of emotion and humour, fast and slow, and I've yet to find someone who dislikes it. Just a great pop rock album! Fav song: Still Fighting It

4. Frank Turner-Love, Ire & Song: Frank and his band have surpassed Green Day to becoming my favourite artists. LI&S is Frank at his best. Songs about being on the road, heartbreak, music and just about everything we can feel! His vocals are incredible, and the music is simple but effective. As he says himself "simple scales on an old guitar and a punk rock sense of honesty". Favourite song: Photosynthesis

5. Joshua Radin-The Rock and The Tide: You might have heard Joshua's music without realizing it, he's been featured on so many TV shows. Most memorable for me is the heartbreaking scene in Scrubs where Dr. Cox realizes his best friend is dead and they're at the funeral. His genre has been jokingly called "whisper rock" and this album is full of heartfelt ballads and heartbreaking laments. This guy couldn't play guitar 7 years ago and is now making such incredible music. Perfect for a rainy day and some emotional indulgence. Fav song: The Rock and The Tide

Honourable mentions to Dead Kennedy's "Frankenchrist", Damien Rice's "O", Fall Out Boy's "Take This To Your Grave", The Postal Service's "Give Up", Scala & Kolacny Brothers' "Circle" and Xavier Rudd's "Koonyum Sun".

Fuck me, that was hard!

• Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts
  • Joined Apr 11, 2009
  • 638 rep

1. Arctic Monkeys - Favourite Worst Nightmare

Has been my favourite album ever for the last 6 years. The Arctic Monkeys sound is incorporated into the run of songs from Fluorescent Adolescent (bright guitar pop) to Only Ones Who Know (cinematic melancholy) to Do Me A Favour (atmospheric drums, steady buildup to a crashing ending) to This House Is A Circus (riffs & eerie guitar effects) to If You Were There, Beware (pretty much all of the above). Add to that perfect run Brianstorm as a superb heavy surf guitar opener and 505 as a Morricone influenced/completely ripped off organ-driven ballad that again builds up one final time. The dynamics on this album are the best I've ever heard in terms of bright, dark, fast and slow. The rest of the songs are great too, Teddy Picker is fantastically sharp and witty. I haven't heard anyone to rival Alex Turner as the best lyricist of this generation.

2. Radiohead - OK Computer

This gets my vote as the objectively best record of all time. It's just sublime. Demands to be heard all at once. This is an album that just doesn't have any stand out songs, because literally all of them end up being stand outs. My favourite song from this record has been 9 of them at one point or another. Currently it's Exit Music. The musicianship on this album will never be beaten. Jonny Greenwood is one of the greatest guitarists ever, Thom Yorke does his thing. An album that lives up to the hype on first listen and gets better every time you listen to it.

3. The Strokes - Is This It

Rock 'n' roll never sounded or looked this cool. Julian Casablancas is a hero of mine and his voice is majestic, he always sounds as though he's just woken up. The way Nick Valensi and Albert Hammond Jr play their dual guitar parts is awesome in every song. They are the perfect stereotypical rock band and this album will always be their crowning statement, full of songs about sex, drugs and rock n roll.

4. The National - Alligator

They have four outstanding albums that make it very difficult to choose, but I went for this one because it has their best songs on it. Matt Berninger has this unbelievable skill at writing lyrics that are really abstract yet really personal, you can apply lots of meanings to them without them being "everyman" like Coldplay for example (still love Coldplay though). Favourite song is All The Wine, it's about bigging yourself up and finding some self-confidence.

5. Bon Iver - Bon Iver

The most beautiful album I've ever heard. It's another album that demands to be listened to beginning to end. It takes you places, they have a brilliant ability to write music that takes you out of your current surroundings and into this dreamy Americana. Possibly the best concert I have ever seen was when I saw them a few months ago, they played 9 of the 10 songs from it.

• Jimmy McNulty likes this

Céadóg

Céadóg
  • Fucking say it

• 17,051 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 18,902 rep

Excellent choices generally,  especially the Tom Waits album, but by  "RUINED" I can only assume you mean "given godlike powers"

Well, obviously :P

But his voice was much cleaner at the start of his career, thats the point I was making.

BJA_SA

BJA_SA
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Joined Nov 16, 2012
  • 46 rep

For me it is (No particular order)

1. Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band - The Beatles

One of the best albums of all time. If not, the greatest and I absolutely love it. Very different sounding and its brilliant. 

Best Songs: A Day In The Life, Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds & SPLHCB/With A Little Help From My Friends

2. Abbey Road - The Beatles

Another album by them that is one of the best of all time. This is their best album lyrically. Love it! Also by the way, an album where George shines.

Best Songs: Come Together,Here Comes The Sun & Something

3. Mylo Xyloto- Coldplay

One of Coldplay's best album. An Awesome album and its my favourite Coldplay Album. A Rush of Blood to the head is probably their best but its not my favourite compared to this one.

Best Songs: Paradise, Charlie Brown, Every Teardrop is a Waterfall, Up In Flames & Hurts Like Heaven

Since we are not including Green Day 4 & 5 would be a tie. 

The Fame Monster - Lady GaGa

A Rush of Blood To The Head - Coldplay

Joshua Tree - U2

London Calling - The Clash

November's Storms

November's Storms
  • Welcome to Paradise

• 10,531 posts
  • Joined Feb 09, 2010
  • 4,375 rep

For me it is (No particular order)

I was going to like that post because of U2, The Clash and The Beatles, but I simply can't like Coldplay or Lady Gaga!

tigress

tigress
  • FuckMyLife666

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,918 posts
  • Joined Mar 03, 2006
  • 2,388 rep

Not in order:

1. Rise Against - The Sufferer & the Witness

2. Hole - Live Through This

3. Fleetwood Mac - Rumours

4. Guns N' Roses - Use Your Illusion I

5. My Chemical Romance - Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge

BJA_SA

BJA_SA
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Joined Nov 16, 2012
  • 46 rep

I was going to like that post because of U2, The Clash and The Beatles, but I simply can't like Coldplay or Lady Gaga!

I'm sorry to disappoint you. I love Coldplay because they play in the cold

Katarina.

Katarina.
  • Wanderlust

• 25,931 posts
  • Joined Sep 27, 2007
  • 3,263 rep
That wasn't easy at all! Oh well, I tried. In no particular order:

1. The Replacements - Let it Be
2. Frank Turner - Love, Ire & Song
3. The Clash - London Calling
4. The Living End - The Living End
5. The Replacements - Tim

I could simply have those albums on repeat all day, there's not one bad song on them. Great lyrics, amazing guitar/bass/drums and vocals. Love it.
Honourable mentions: Frank Turner - England Keep My Bones, The Living End - Modern Artillery/State of Emergency, Rancid - ...And Out Come the Wolves. More for nostalgia reasons I can't not mention Fall Out Boy - Take This to Your Grave, Panic! at the Disco - A Fever You Can't Sweat Out and My Chemical Romance - the Black Parade
  • alaniluau and burnout409 like this

Miracless

Miracless
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Joined Jun 01, 2012
  • 222 rep
Not in order.

Nirvana-Nevermind
MCR-Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge
The Offspring-Days Go By
System Of A Down-Toxicity
Muse-The 2nd Law

kaylubd

kaylubd
  • Resident Shultz/Bellamy Enthusiast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,258 posts
  • Joined Feb 02, 2012
  • 2,447 rep

Gah....let's see:

Pornography- The Cure

Pretty Hate Machine- NIN

Violator- Depeche Mode

In Utero- Nirvana

Blink-182- Blink-182

HolyHandGrenade

HolyHandGrenade
  • And now for something completely different...

• 4,798 posts
  • Joined Feb 15, 2013
  • 2,803 rep

In no order I have:

More Than You Think You Are - Matchbox Twenty

The Joshua Tree - U2

White Blood Cells - The White Stripes

The Black and White Album - The Hives

All the Lights in The Sky - Area 11

Honorable mentions go to El Camino (Black Keys), Achtung Baby (U2), Elephant (White Stripes), and Hopes and Fears (Keane)

Dirty Rotten Bastard

Dirty Rotten Bastard
  • Pizza God

• 4,030 posts
  • Joined Sep 17, 2012
  • 2,985 rep

The Replacements -  Pleased To Meet Me

Husker Du - Candy Apple Grey

Operation Ivy - Energy 

The Clash - London Calling 

The Replacements - Don't Tell a Soul

Ok, that was really difficult. Should be top 10...or in my situation top 1000. Too many good albums to chose from.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users