If Green Day ever did the superbowl...

Jean

...What songs do you think they would perform? How would the set look?

Here are the songs I think they would do... (in no particular order)

American Idiot (but at the same time, some people might find it offensive...)

Holiday

Hitchin' A Ride (minus the masturbation/orgasm noises)

Stop When the Red Lights Flash (It's s good song to get pumped up to in a sports game)

Boulevard of Broken Dreams (a bit slow but it's one of their biggest hits... and I just saw Beyonce do Halo so...)

Basket Case

Welcome to Paradise

99 Revolutions

Dirty Rotten Bastards

Nice Guys Finish Last (since they did a football themed video)

Minority

Stay the Night

Know Your Enemy

East Jesus Nowhere (I'd love to see them do it but like American Idiot, people would find it offensive)

Wow! That's Loud

Kill the DJ (the clean version obviously)

Obviously, they wouldn't have the time to do all of those songs but they could do some of them. Maybe like 5?

I imagine there would be a lot of pyro and fireworks involved. Maybe get the American Idiot cast involved like they did with that one football game they played at back in 2010, I think.

I think the only thing that would keep them from doing the Superbowl is the censors and the swearing. Especially after iHeartRadio...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always wanted them to do it, it'd be fantastic.

especially with all the pyro, fan interaction and just amazing playing

Green Day shows are awesome but a Super Bowl would be one of the biggest shows in history, just imagine the pyro the performing people jumping the stage the songs (Basket Case, Stuck With me, Nice Guys Finish Last, Minority, American Idiot, Boulevard of Broken Dreams, Know Your Enemy, 21 guns, Oh Love, Lazy Bones, X- Kid,Good Riddance

I would most likely shit my pants. Then eagerly wait for the best superbowl halftime show in history

I think that Green Day are ready to be there, i hope they call them very soon!!!! :P

Although it would be cool, I would think that they wouldn't want a band playing that is known to use a lot of swears. I agree, it would be awesome, I just doubt it will happen anytime soon.

Usually the Super Bowl halftime show consist of artist that are very huge at the moment, or have been huge in the past. I can definitely see Green Day performing at one, but not for a while. This would be awesome to see, but a little odd because of the popularity in pop music these days.

Pretty sure with the paranoia of avoiding incidents in the aftermath of Janet Jackson's exposed boob of universal cataclysm, there is no fucking way they will ever let Billie "one fucking minute!" Joe Armstrong ever perform a half time show. :P

Pretty sure with the paranoia of avoiding incidents in the aftermath of Janet Jackson's exposed boob of universal cataclysm, there is no fucking way they will ever let Billie "one fucking minute!" Joe Armstrong ever perform a half time show. :P

Very good point. They'd have to change lyrics like crazy to do, well, any of the songs I thought of aside from 21 Guns. I could see Green Day never making it to the Super Bowl, because they do have so many colorful metaphors in their lyrics, and because Billie Joe is as predictable as a thermal runaway.

Foo Fighters 2014. Because rockets.

Nelly has performed at Super Bowl so has Kid Rock P Diddy who cuss more than Green Day so I think they'd let GD perform

Nelly and Kid Rock don't have a history of showing up hammered and launching into spoiled-brat, obscenity-laden tirades if the audience isn't feeling it. Fair or not, that episode is going to haunt Green Day going forward.

It's almost a statistical certainty they will at some point, they're aging rockstars.

Nelly and Kid Rock don't have a history of showing up hammered and launching into spoiled-brat, obscenity-laden tirades if the audience isn't feeling it. Fair or not, that episode is going to haunt Green Day going forward.

He's got plenty of sober years to change people's minds.

It's almost a statistical certainty they will at some point, they're aging rockstars.

He's got plenty of sober years to change people's minds.

I thought the Super Bowl was conscientiously trying to get away from having old rock stars do the show. I mean, how the hell else do you explain going from Springsteen to the Black Eyed Pieces of Shit?

Also, it's really hard to picture 55-year-old Billie Joe performing a convincing Basketcase :lol:

Dude, I'd rather see aging rockstars any day, but I know I'm in the minority on that one. I'm hella excited to see what a Green Day show is like when they're Metallica's age, or The Rolling Stones' age.

I don't see why they wouldn't let Green Day perform. They've done three performances for the NFL already if I remember correctly (2005 season opening concert at New England, 2006 reopening of the Superdome with U2, & the 2010 Monday Night opener for the Jets.) So they've been tried and tested with the NFL already. As much as I respect the effort it takes to do all the choreography Beyonce had to do, I would rather have a halftime show that was more about the music. Sure there would be some pyrotechnics, but it would be more about the music. If you have to do all of those crazy schticks just to get me to listen to your music, then you are trying too hard or your covering up something your music lacks. Ok end of my Dave Grohl rant against "new music". Billie would just have to remember to limit how many hey-oh's he does Here is my potential setlist for 12-14 minutes:

Holiday

Know Your Enemy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17ww1g92S0s (Both songs done in similar fashion to this performance, minus the AI cast of course.)

Basket Case

Hitchin' a Ride

Boulevard of Broken Dreams

Other songs I would consider

21st Century Breakdown (Other than the fact it is my favorite Green Day song of all time (I'm a sucker for songs that remind me of Bohemian Rhapsody!), it would be a great way too start off, but they wouldn't be able to do the whole song.

See the Light (Great closing track and may be the best last track of any album they have done.)

Minority (All good except for the fuck them all part. Good luck having Billie remembering to do some self-censoring.)

When I Come Around

Good Riddance (Could work, but maybe too much of a letdown after 10 minutes of rocking, even if it is there most well known song to the general public/masses.)

Stop When the Red Lights Flash (For whatever reason when I hear this song, I feel I could run through a brick wall. A very pumpass song that's short and too the point.)

We Are the Champions (Why not. A fair amount of Prince's halftime performance was covers and his performance has been claimed to be the best halftime show ever by a fair amount of people. This also would be appropriate for the biggest championship game in the states.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZYGxHVyCwI

No Nelly just has a history of punching a super bowl producer and been on it 2 times afterwards

Dude, I'd rather see aging rockstars any day, but I know I'm in the minority on that one. I'm hella excited to see what a Green Day show is like when they're Metallica's age, or The Rolling Stones' age.

I'm with you. I'd crap my pants if Queen and Adam Lambert did the halftime show. Much as I was against the idea of Lambert touring with them (and still am), I have to admit that I'm pleasantly surprised by how good he sounds with Brian and Roger. If Green Day's later career shapes up like Springsteen's, put those fuckers on the stage for Super Bowl 60.

Although it would be cool, I would think that they wouldn't want a band playing that is known to use a lot of swears. I agree, it would be awesome, I just doubt it will happen anytime soon.

For that reason, that's why it wouldn't happen. After the 2004 Wardrobe Malfunction censorship is TIGHT on the SuperBowl.

Archived