Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

If Green Day ever did the superbowl...

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

Jean

Jean
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • Joined Dec 01, 2012
  • 3,814 rep

...What songs do you think they would perform? How would the set look?

Here are the songs I think they would do... (in no particular order)

American Idiot (but at the same time, some people might find it offensive...)

Holiday

Hitchin' A Ride (minus the masturbation/orgasm noises)

Stop When the Red Lights Flash (It's s good song to get pumped up to in a sports game)

Boulevard of Broken Dreams (a bit slow but it's one of their biggest hits... and I just saw Beyonce do Halo so...)

Basket Case

Welcome to Paradise

99 Revolutions

Dirty Rotten Bastards

Nice Guys Finish Last (since they did a football themed video)

Minority

Stay the Night

Know Your Enemy

East Jesus Nowhere (I'd love to see them do it but like American Idiot, people would find it offensive)

Wow! That's Loud

Kill the DJ (the clean version obviously)

Obviously, they wouldn't have the time to do all of those songs but they could do some of them. Maybe like 5?

I imagine there would be a lot of pyro and fireworks involved. Maybe get the American Idiot cast involved like they did with that one football game they played at back in 2010, I think.

I think the only thing that would keep them from doing the Superbowl is the censors and the swearing. Especially after iHeartRadio...

• No Rhyme Or Reason and Dark Lord Plagueis like this

nah

nah
  • Dominated Love Slave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Joined Apr 10, 2009
  • 796 rep

I've always wanted them to do it, it'd be fantastic. 

especially with all the pyro, fan interaction and just amazing playing 

• Mr. Dude and James a Green Day Fan like this

JIGD13

JIGD13
  • I Turned into a Martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,788 posts
  • Joined Jul 02, 2012
  • 2,602 rep

Green Day shows are awesome but a Super Bowl would be one of the biggest shows in history, just imagine the pyro the performing people jumping the stage the songs (Basket Case, Stuck With me, Nice Guys Finish Last, Minority, American Idiot, Boulevard of Broken Dreams, Know Your Enemy, 21 guns, Oh Love, Lazy Bones, X- Kid,Good Riddance

• James a Green Day Fan likes this

Schlappy

Schlappy
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts
  • Joined Jul 07, 2010
  • 2,282 rep

it sucks they werent asked when they were huge

• 11Greendayfan and James a Green Day Fan like this

tdlyon

tdlyon
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts
  • Joined Oct 12, 2012
  • 757 rep

They could definitely still do it. They'd be amazing.

• sampy, 11Greendayfan and xXRustyJamesXx like this

The Forgotten

The Forgotten
  • Betty White's boytoy

• 3,300 posts
  • Joined May 18, 2012
  • 1,578 rep

I would most likely shit my pants. Then eagerly wait for the best superbowl halftime show in history

• Mr. Dude and James a Green Day Fan like this

Dark Lord Plagueis

Dark Lord Plagueis
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 951 posts
  • Joined Aug 13, 2011
  • 472 rep

Jesus how havent they done this yet?? It would amazing! Finally a reason to watch the Superbowl

• Westside Highway likes this

Doris The Spider

Doris The Spider
  • Who-ligan

• 2,106 posts
  • Joined Jun 13, 2010
  • 541 rep

Having The Who play was a dream come true but this would pretty be ever better.

• 11Greendayfan, Radio Victim and MuricanIDIOT like this

Mara Garcia Green Day

Mara Garcia Green Day
  • Hiddles ♥

• 5,496 posts
  • Joined Jan 25, 2013
  • 8,225 rep

I think that Green Day are ready to be there, i hope they call them very soon!!!!  :P

• JIGD13 likes this

ZSebs

ZSebs
  • Little One

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Joined Nov 28, 2012
  • 93 rep

Although it would be cool, I would think that they wouldn't want a band playing that is known to use a lot of swears. I agree, it would be awesome, I just doubt it will happen anytime soon.

Cath

Cath
  • stick it to the man

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,689 posts
  • Joined Nov 24, 2012
  • 4,035 rep

then it would be the first time i would listen to the superbowl

JIGD13

JIGD13
  • I Turned into a Martian

• 4,788 posts
  • Joined Jul 02, 2012
  • 2,602 rep

POPULAR

It would be the best half show of the historym secon is this show
377615_235657489904548_363788524_n.jpg
  • Eldoon, AndrewW91, Mar and 8 others like this

Tre's Busted Drumkit

Tre's Busted Drumkit
  • "ben's actually a giant teddy bear" -Lone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,808 posts
  • Joined Feb 25, 2010
  • 4,646 rep

12-minute medley of the following:

American Idiot

Holiday

21 Guns

Basketcase

Minority

• Trotsky, Heisenberg and Jace Peterson like this

VisionsofGreenDay115

VisionsofGreenDay115
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  • Joined Jan 04, 2012
  • 181 rep

Usually the Super Bowl halftime show consist of artist that are very huge at the moment, or have been huge in the past. I can definitely see Green Day performing at one, but not for a while. This would be awesome to see, but a little odd because of the popularity in pop music these days.

Trotsky

Trotsky
  • I sought my image in the scorching glass

• 29,274 posts
  • Joined Sep 23, 2006
  • 7,406 rep

Pretty sure with the paranoia of avoiding incidents in the aftermath of Janet Jackson's exposed boob of universal cataclysm, there is no fucking way they will ever let Billie "one fucking minute!" Joe Armstrong ever perform a half time show. :P 

• armatage and Stacie Anne like this

Advertising

Tre's Busted Drumkit

Tre's Busted Drumkit

• 8,808 posts
  • Joined Feb 25, 2010
  • 4,646 rep

Pretty sure with the paranoia of avoiding incidents in the aftermath of Janet Jackson's exposed boob of universal cataclysm, there is no fucking way they will ever let Billie "one fucking minute!" Joe Armstrong ever perform a half time show. :P

Very good point. They'd have to change lyrics like crazy to do, well, any of the songs I thought of aside from 21 Guns. I could see Green Day never making it to the Super Bowl, because they do have so many colorful metaphors in their lyrics, and because Billie Joe is as predictable as a thermal runaway.

Foo Fighters 2014. Because rockets.

• Davis Weiss likes this

WhiteTim

WhiteTim
  • Dearly Beloved

• 6,211 posts
  • Joined May 16, 2010
  • 3,382 rep
Nelly has performed at Super Bowl so has Kid Rock P Diddy who cuss more than Green Day so I think they'd let GD perform

Tre's Busted Drumkit

Tre's Busted Drumkit

• 8,808 posts
  • Joined Feb 25, 2010
  • 4,646 rep

Nelly and Kid Rock don't have a history of showing up hammered and launching into spoiled-brat, obscenity-laden tirades if the audience isn't feeling it. Fair or not, that episode is going to haunt Green Day going forward.

• jojo2323 and Stacie Anne like this

captain peroxide

captain peroxide
  • Unbowed. Unbent. Unbroken.

• 15,803 posts
  • Joined Feb 20, 2007
  • 6,451 rep

It's almost a statistical certainty they will at some point, they're aging rockstars.

Nelly and Kid Rock don't have a history of showing up hammered and launching into spoiled-brat, obscenity-laden tirades if the audience isn't feeling it. Fair or not, that episode is going to haunt Green Day going forward.

He's got plenty of sober years to change people's minds.

Tre's Busted Drumkit

Tre's Busted Drumkit

• 8,808 posts
  • Joined Feb 25, 2010
  • 4,646 rep

It's almost a statistical certainty they will at some point, they're aging rockstars.

He's got plenty of sober years to change people's minds.

I thought the Super Bowl was conscientiously trying to get away from having old rock stars do the show. I mean, how the hell else do you explain going from Springsteen to the Black Eyed Pieces of Shit?

Also, it's really hard to picture 55-year-old Billie Joe performing a convincing Basketcase :lol:

• Stacie Anne likes this

captain peroxide

captain peroxide
  • Unbowed. Unbent. Unbroken.

• 15,803 posts
  • Joined Feb 20, 2007
  • 6,451 rep

Dude, I'd rather see aging rockstars any day, but I know I'm in the minority on that one. I'm hella excited to see what a Green Day show is like when they're Metallica's age, or The Rolling Stones' age. 

• Iain and Stacie Anne like this

ollhjr

ollhjr
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Joined Mar 28, 2011
  • 221 rep

I don't see why they wouldn't let Green Day perform.  They've done three performances for the NFL already if I remember correctly (2005 season opening concert at New England, 2006 reopening of the Superdome with U2, & the 2010 Monday Night opener for the Jets.)  So they've been tried and tested with the NFL already.  As much as I respect the effort it takes to do all the choreography Beyonce had to do, I would rather have a halftime show that was more about the music.  Sure there would be some pyrotechnics, but it would be more about the music.  If you have to do all of those crazy schticks just to get me to listen to your music, then you are trying too hard or your covering up something your music lacks.  Ok end of my Dave Grohl rant against "new music".  Billie would just have to remember to limit how many hey-oh's he does  Here is my potential setlist for 12-14 minutes: 

Holiday

Know Your Enemy

(Both songs done in similar fashion to this performance, minus the AI cast of course.)

Basket Case 

Hitchin' a Ride

Boulevard of Broken Dreams

Other songs I would consider 

21st Century Breakdown (Other than the fact it is my favorite Green Day song of all time (I'm a sucker for songs that remind me of Bohemian Rhapsody!), it would be a great way too start off, but they wouldn't be able to do the whole song.  

See the Light (Great closing track and may be the best last track of any album they have done.)

Minority (All good except for the fuck them all part.  Good luck having Billie remembering to do some self-censoring.) 

When I Come Around 

Good Riddance (Could work, but maybe too much of a letdown after 10 minutes of rocking, even if it is there most well known song to the general public/masses.)

Stop When the Red Lights Flash (For whatever reason when I hear this song, I feel I could run through a brick wall.  A very pumpass song that's short and too the point.)

We Are the Champions (Why not.  A fair amount of Prince's halftime performance was covers and his performance has been claimed to be the best halftime show ever by a fair amount of people.  This also would be appropriate for the biggest championship game in the states.)  

Edited by ollhjr, 04 February 2013 - 01:19 AM.

• Louisbelgium likes this

WhiteTim

WhiteTim
  • Dearly Beloved

• 6,211 posts
  • Joined May 16, 2010
  • 3,382 rep

No Nelly just has a history of punching a super bowl producer and been on it 2 times afterwards

Tre's Busted Drumkit

Tre's Busted Drumkit

• 8,808 posts
  • Joined Feb 25, 2010
  • 4,646 rep

Dude, I'd rather see aging rockstars any day, but I know I'm in the minority on that one. I'm hella excited to see what a Green Day show is like when they're Metallica's age, or The Rolling Stones' age. 

I'm with you. I'd crap my pants if Queen and Adam Lambert did the halftime show. Much as I was against the idea of Lambert touring with them (and still am), I have to admit that I'm pleasantly surprised by how good he sounds with Brian and Roger. If Green Day's later career shapes up like Springsteen's, put those fuckers on the stage for Super Bowl 60.

• captain peroxide likes this

Iain

Iain
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,659 posts
  • Joined Jul 04, 2010
  • 1,112 rep
  • Location:Outside of my ass, unlike most people's heads on GDC.

Although it would be cool, I would think that they wouldn't want a band playing that is known to use a lot of swears. I agree, it would be awesome, I just doubt it will happen anytime soon.

For that reason, that's why it wouldn't happen. After the 2004 Wardrobe Malfunction censorship is TIGHT on the SuperBowl.

Gregorovich

Gregorovich
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • Joined Oct 20, 2012
  • 481 rep

If it were this superbowl, I guess a possible setlist would be 21st Century Breakdown, American Idiot, Basket Case, Oh Love, 99 Revolutions. 

LazyPhil

LazyPhil
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • Joined Sep 18, 2010
  • 507 rep

I would finally watch the superbowl if they did play

Stacie Anne

Stacie Anne
  • 12,433 posts
  • Joined Jun 21, 2006
  • 7,098 rep

These are why I could never see Green Day doing it. Billie is as predictable as British weather, not something you want for that kind of situation. They have a lot of colourful lyrics to their songs & I think after the iHeart incident, not many people are gunna wanna touch them for big performances where a younger audience is likely. Don't get me wrong, I'd love it to happen & one day it might, but I doubt it will any time soon.

Plus, what kind of Green Day show is it if Billie doesn't swear, strip down or pretend to masturbate? 

Also "Billie 'One Fucking Minute' Joe Armstrong" make me choke on my tea :lol:

Todd

Todd
  • Sweet and Sour Children

• 12,838 posts
  • Joined Mar 07, 2012
  • 5,761 rep
I think Welcome to Paradise, Know Your Enemy and Brain Stew/Jaded would be good to play

Mar

Mar
  • Streets ahead

• 18,095 posts
  • Joined Jul 23, 2009
  • 4,943 rep

12-minute medley of the following:

American Idiot

Holiday

21 Guns

Basketcase

Minority

That's exactly what I'd expect, maybe with KYE thrown in. Maybe they'd do a NOLA show and The Saints Are Coming would be on the list, too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users