Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Fang?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Basic Radio

Basic Radio
  • Little One

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Joined Oct 10, 2012
  • 21 rep

My only real problem with the band is that everyone tries to defend the singer in his murder case. No, he killed someone, that means he needs to pay for it. 

Other than that, Landshark is an ok album.

Your thoughts?

Cob

Cob
  • They Speak of My Drinking, But Never of my Thirst

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,068 posts
  • Joined Oct 05, 2012
  • 2,614 rep

Fang is a good band. It took awhile to for them to evolve as much as their peers, but their influence is still pretty noticeable in a couple other bands from the scene. No one would ever admit to it though, since McBride pretty much made being a fan of them a taboo (he's guilty, anyone saying he isn't is in major denial). Luckily Green Day didn't let that stop them from covering "I Wanna Be On TV," which is a pretty awesome punk song. 

• Basic Radio likes this

Mega Man

Mega Man
  • Little One

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Joined Nov 15, 2009
  • 52 rep

Huh, surprised to see so little activity in the Fang thread, with Green Day recording a studio cover of one of their songs.

I think it's hard for people to really comprehend what Fang was long after their heyday and the end of the first formation. I think the real driving force behind the band was actually guitarist Tom Flynn, who was the co-founder of the band (and wrote most of the songs from their first albums). There was a lot of experimenting before they finally found their sound. I just uploaded their first song, "Enjoy the View", which got them some notice in the Bay Area.

The B-side, "Yukon Fang" was even crazier.

True to the spirit of punk, they really pushed the boundary on their early stuff. Then they did a complete 360 and then came their seminal hardcore phase. That should need no introduction; these were loud and obnoxious punk classics. The compilation Landshark / Where the Wild Things Are has everything you need.

The music got thrashier as the band got more out of control. A Mi Ga Sfafas? was pretty much metal (check out "Hitch A Ride" and "Lolita" from that LP. And then everything came to a close after Sam McBride killed his girlfriend while on a heroine binge.

No one would ever admit to it though, since McBride pretty much made being a fan of them a taboo (he's guilty, anyone saying he isn't is in major denial).

I've honestly never heard of that. McBride himself was convicted and openly admits to what he did, no one's doing him any favors by denying it.

After everything, I'd say I'm still a Fang fan. There's no defending what Sam McBride did, but he got out of prison and cleaned his life up. He got a job, started a family and then went back to making music. He was one of the few people who made good on getting a second chance. Anyways, even with a completely reformed lineup, the post-1995 Fang actually has some good stuff; American Nightmare is pretty much in line with their previous stuff. I've even heard that Tom Flynn sometimes plays with his old band again (after not wanting anything to do with it after McBride's release from prison).

Todd

Todd
  • Sweet and Sour Children

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,064 posts
  • Joined Mar 07, 2012
  • 6,775 rep
Have you seem much activity in any thread of a band Green Day had covered?

WeAllFloatDownHere

WeAllFloatDownHere
  • Dearly Beloved

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,551 posts
  • Joined May 16, 2010
  • 4,172 rep
First learned of them from Nirvana Landshark an awesome album

Mega Man

Mega Man
  • Little One

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Joined Nov 15, 2009
  • 52 rep

First learned of them from Nirvana Landshark an awesome album

Oh yeah, Nirvana definitely helped them out big time (and probably was one of the reasons Sam brought Fang back). Kurt ranked Landshark at number 6 on his top 50 album list. 

Big Cheese

Big Cheese
  • Generator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,310 posts
  • Joined Nov 04, 2011
  • 1,926 rep

Fang's alright from what I've heard, which is Landshark and Where the Wild Things Are. I heard of them through Green Day at about 10, and at the time I thought they completely sucked balls, but they're not that bad.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users