Broadway Idiot - American Idiot Show Documentary

Dirntbag

Michael Miller @MichaelMillerHB 2h

@GreenDay posing with kids. Fine gentlemen.

Michael Miller @MichaelMillerHB 2h

But no interviews, apparently. :-(

Michael Miller @MichaelMillerHB 1h

@greenday comes onstage for intro.

Michael Miller @MichaelMillerHB 1h

Billie Joe Armstrong: 'Wow, there's a lot of people here.'

KristenDorseyDesigns @KDorseyDesigns 31m

Headed to the after party now! "@nbff: first photo of the festival? Green Day arrived!

BIvms86CIAAM1CI.jpg

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sean Saint-Louis @SeanSaintLouis 7h

Mike's a cool cat. Spent some time talking tonight, the dude had a good vibe.

Red carpet goes Green Newport Beach brothers get rare photo opportunity with favorite band as 14th annual film festival kicks off.

http://www.dailypilot.com/news/tn-dpt-0426-newport-festival-red-carpet-20130425,0,3507938.story

a58ea27cae1011e2bf9922000a1fbc1c_7.jpg

I didn't know they would be there! :o I looove all the pics and that they have fun making fun :P of the photographers :lol: Such 3 adorable guys :wub: :wub: :wub:

Aww so cool they were at the premier! :D They're looking great! Do I spot reddish hair Billie? :ga:

I wanna know how they "presented" it. I hope there's video!

I love this pic (also via Green Day Live on Tour facebook)

62629_10151540829383961_713132739_n.jpg

^ Mike :lol:

I want videos of all of this!:runaround: I can't fucking wait until this documentary is made into a DVD! And the boys all look absolutely stunning!:wub: :wub: :wub: Especially Billie! Sorry for my excessive use of exclamation points, but it's just so exciting!!!!!

Newport Beach Film Festival: Punk's Not Dead--It's On Broadway

Right before the screening, the members of Green Day were invited to deliver some opening words. "This is a big-ass theater," remarked Armstrong. It sure is, Billie Joe, and its proudly known as having the largest screen in Orange County. They don't call it Big Newport for nothing.

Armstrong stands out from beginning to end in this documentary. In his interviews, he's remarkably insightful and witty about his music and its personal significance- each song on American Idiot draws from painful and haunting memories of his past, altogether crafting a narrative of frustration and chaos that defined the zeitgeist of post 9/11 times. Hamilton puts tremendous attention to detail in his camera shots, capturing every single aspect of the production, from dressing room banter to the joy on each performer's face. The end result is a visual collage of two worlds- punk rock and theater- coming together in a spectacular collaboration.

http://blogs.ocweekly.com/navelgazing/2013/04/american_idiot_documentary.php

Green Day arrive at opening of Broadway Idiot at Newport Beach Film Festival 2013

includes meeting the two fans and behind the red carpet

Doug Hamilton- 2013 Newport Beach Film Festival

talking about the film

I went to see Broadway Idiot at the Berkeley Rep in Berkeley last night and it was such an amazing, passionate and moving film. You saw and felt what went in to the production, the behind-the-scenes and how strongly and adventurous Billie felt the whole way through.

It was particularly moving to see in the film how the production started in the very room + stage we were watching the film on.

Adrienne and Jakob showed up. I saw them in the lobby talking to people. At the end, everyone stood up, turned to face Adrienne and Jakob in the audience, and applauded them for their support for the film and husband + father who was key in the American Idiot production.

Yes I was able to see this for a second time again last night. It is a fantastic film. Seeing it in Berkeley was special.

I happened to be sitting around some of the Armstrong/Jackson family. Cousin Jessika in front, cousin Mitch (Polly's son) behind me. To hear some of their comments and memories of Billie Joe was humbling.

Director Doug Hamilton was a few seats down from us. Of course, Ollie, Marci, Adrienne and Jakob with friends and family were there too.

After the show everyond stood to applaud both director and Adrienne. Adrienne graciously took photos with some fans once out in the lobby. Not sure that they should be asking, as she seemed to be trying to talk to family and friends, but I don't like to see them bothered in public anyway. I think a hello or short conversation is more of a remeberence than constantly asking for a photo or autograph. At some point it becomes annoying.

There was a mention of that in the film about how Billie Joe has made a great effort to have private family life. He lives in Oakland "not all the Hollywood bullshit". How he doesn't even have a facebook. He is quoted as saying " I am lucky to have a cell phone"

It is great to show the very beginning concepts, the changes, the workshops, arranging of songs, of how this production came together. The broadway cast and their never ending rehearsals. Talking to the cast members and getting their thoughts on showing it in Berkeley for the very first time.

There is much footage of them in Oakland recording with Billie Joe, 21 Guns as well as at the Grammy's.

Billie Joe talks passionately about his father, and the song Wake Me Up When September Ends, how the lyrics came to be and the meaning of 7 years and 20 years in the song. Of how September is probably the worst month ever. Throughout the film he tears up anytime it is played or talked about.

It is cute to see him sing as a youngster in a school production. He says that he was taking vocal lessions and not telling his friends what he was doing because it was thought singing wasn't macho. He didn't want to be teased. That got a laugh from the audience. He talked about his mother taking him to senior homes to sing too.

I do hope this film will be distributed sometime soon. It is a phenomenal piece of work. It will make you laugh and cry.

Yes I was able to see this for a second time again last night. It is a fantastic film. Seeing it in Berkeley was special.

I happened to be sitting around some of the Armstrong/Jackson family. Cousin Jessika in front, cousin Mitch (Polly's son) behind me. To hear some of their comments and memories of Billie Joe was humbling.

Director Doug Hamilton was a few seats down from us. Of course, Ollie, Marci, Adrienne and Jakob with friends and family were there too.

After the show everyond stood to applaud both director and Adrienne. Adrienne graciously took photos with some fans once out in the lobby. Not sure that they should be asking, as she seemed to be trying to talk to family and friends, but I don't like to see them bothered in public anyway. I think a hello or short conversation is more of a remeberence than constantly asking for a photo or autograph. At some point it becomes annoying.

There was a mention of that in the film about how Billie Joe has made a great effort to have private family life. He lives in Oakland "not all the Hollywood bullshit". How he doesn't even have a facebook. He is quoted as saying " I am lucky to have a cell phone"

It is great to show the very beginning concepts, the changes, the workshops, arranging of songs, of how this production came together. The broadway cast and their never ending rehearsals. Talking to the cast members and getting their thoughts on showing it in Berkeley for the very first time.

There is much footage of them in Oakland recording with Billie Joe, 21 Guns as well as at the Grammy's.

Billie Joe talks passionately about his father, and the song Wake Me Up When September Ends, how the lyrics came to be and the meaning of 7 years and 20 years in the song. Of how September is probably the worst month ever. Throughout the film he tears up anytime it is played or talked about.

It is cute to see him sing as a youngster in a school production. He says that he was taking vocal lessions and not telling his friends what he was doing because it was thought singing wasn't macho. He didn't want to be teased. That got a laugh from the audience. He talked about his mother taking him to senior homes to sing too.

I do hope this film will be distributed sometime soon. It is a phenomenal piece of work. It will make you laugh and cry.

Thank you so much for writing such a descriptive review, I really appreciate it.

Can you share the meaning of 7 and 20 years in WMUWSE? I was always curious about the 7 years part, I imagine 20 was how long it had been since his father's death until when he wrote the song. I always thought 7 was how old Jakob was at that time, but it didn't seem quite relevant so I'm curious.

Thank you so much for writing such a descriptive review, I really appreciate it.

Can you share the meaning of 7 and 20 years in WMUWSE? I was always curious about the 7 years part, I imagine 20 was how long it had been since his father's death until when he wrote the song. I always thought 7 was how old Jakob was at that time, but it didn't seem quite relevant so I'm curious.

This. Please do. :happy:

He said is Father died when he was 10 / 11. He moved out 7 years later when he was 17/18. He was writing from that year of moving out, saying that it had come too fast, as he was still processing his Father's death.

He said is Father died when he was 10 / 11. He moved out 7 years later when he was 17/18. He was writing from that year of moving out, saying that it had come too fast, as he was still processing his Father's death.

I always guessed it was this as he said on that Dookie documentary "Thrown out of your home, seventeen years old, cracked streets, rats everywhere" exact quote. So I always assumed he left home in less than friendly circumstances at seventeen and when I heard WMUWSE that line about 7 years and then here comes the rain again made me think his misery was compounded by being thrown out "under the stars" only 7 years later. Poor Billie. Wanna hug him.

Thanks so much for sharing that. It seems to be such a great film, I really wanna see it!

Was there any St.Billie footage?

Archived