Broadway Idiot - American Idiot Show Documentary

Dirntbag

For all you Aussies who have not purchased this channel v is showing this at 8.30 on the 29/3.

I am watching channel v now & it was pretty exciting to have something green day advertised :)

So I watched this even though I own the dvd - simply because it was GD related on TV :D

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So they showed it on tv in Australia and aren't planning on releasing it on DVD in Europe (or anywhere else that isn't the US so far that we've heard right?) so I guess it isn't a massive leap to assume they may just show it on tv everywhere eventually maybe because it won't turn a massive profit if it's released worldwide on dvd. I may just be being hopeful because I wouldn"t mind seeing it.

• 4 weeks later...

People of Britain - Broadway Idiot hits your airwaves next week. Tune your television sets to SkyArtsHD on May 5th+6th. Check your TV Guide for times.

What? Broadway Idiot is out on Netflix Instant in the US right now? That's awesome! Yes. Yes it is.

Best new movies streaming on Netflix: May 2014

Green Day's "American Idiot" was an unlikely inspiration for a Broadway show but the musical was a success, running for 422 performances. This behind-the-scenes documentary offers a look at Billie Joe Armstrong and the development process

People of the World - we've teamed up with Vimeo so that you can watch Broadway Idiot WHEREVER YOU ARE. The UK and Australia streams will go live later this year. Everyone else can watch the film RIGHT NOW at vimeo.com/ondemand/broadwayidiotmovie

I'm so excited that it's on Netflix, I'm definitely going to be watching it again and having a feels-fest!

They also posted a free bonus scene from Broadway Idiot: Billie's closing night encore... :wub:

vimeo.com/93481748

Shit, I was thinking I'd have to wait until Thursday to watch it again (on Showtime), thanks, Netflix!

Wait, what? This is on Netflix now? Good bye cable I'm switching to Netflix...today!

Just got done watching it. Makes me want to the musical again.

Well if you want to see the musical you better see it in 21 days then its over for good.

Well if you want to see the musical you better see it in 21 days then its over for good.

Really - over for good - I am still holding out hope for Australian dates.

I am not going to see this I can feel it :thumbsdown:

Tonight's TV picks: 'Green Day on Broadway' brings hysteria to Showtime

WATCH THIS:

• "Broadway Idiot: Green Day on Broadway" (8 p.m., Showtime): Can you hear the sound of hysteria? This documentary follows rocker Billie Joe Armstrong as he works with collaborators to transform the band's landmark album, "American Idiot," into a raucous Broadway musical.

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_25715446/tonights-tv-picks-green-day-broadway-brings-hysteria

• 3 weeks later...

Pretty amazing documentary!! :D Though it's a shame us Aussies will have to wait a long while until we actually get the show down here :(

Not sure if this has already been mentioned, but I just wanted to point out the fact that Billie's portion of his St. Jimmy performance seems to be overdubbed. Possibly from studio vocals, rehearsal performance, or even another show. Watch carefully and you'll notice it's not quite in sync (not counting the obvious parts cut together from another night), and many natural performance sounds such as body impacts, grunts, etc are omitted. Use this audience video as a comparison:

I work with A/V editing for a profession, so edits like this easily catch my attention. I'm not sure why the filmmakers chose to do it this way though. I would have much preferred the real live audio. It's Billie Joe we're dealing with here! Rarely a bad live performance :P

What are your thoughts? And can anyone prove me wrong?

EDIT:

OK so I got really curious and decided to do some technical comparisons.

I took the isolated vocals of St. Jimmy from the American Idiot album. Since the Broadway Idiot version has a faster tempo, I time-stretched it to match the tempo of the album. Have a listen to what they sound like played together:

Broadway is on the left channel and AI is on the right.

https://soundcloud.com/baskt_case/st-jimmy-comparison

Sounds like a 100% match. Unless Billie Joe can sing exactly the same every single time.

This is just a fun little experiment I did. Please don't think I have a negative attitude about the whole thing :)

Are we actually going to get it in OZ though.... They always intended to come here but now it looks very doubtful....

• 3 months later...

I caught it on SkyArts when it was shown a few days ago, and was pleasantly surprised. It was very well done; I thought maybe it would be a tad too much a sycophantic, self aggrandising ego-show ; but Green Day haevn't morphed into Bono/U2 or Jon BonJovi just yet, thankfully.

I remember the cries of surreality when it was mooted, announced, and then in theatre; a pop punk band, an album more-or-less literate if a bit naive in poltiical stance, and taking that to Broadway. However, it works, and it works bloody well!! The music - especially the uptemop, high octane numbers, worked brilliantly.

It's a well paced realisation of the project, and after viewing, you do come away with a respect, an understanding of the whole deal, and a wish to see it for yourself!

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived