Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Box Car Racer

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Cob

Cob
  • Dominated Love Slave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,889 posts
  • Joined Oct 05, 2012
  • 2,526 rep

Box Car Racer. The one album side project. The band that eventually became Angels & Airwaves. The one year group that eventually snowballed into the break-up of Blink-182.  

I used to really dislike these guys and their music, for the above reasons and more. I also have a massive disdain for most "post-hardcore" music and Tom's "emo" sound, so by all accounts I shouldn't like this band. But then there was a time this past year when I gave it a listen and the music just hit me. As it turns out, I found that I really enjoyed it. I love this record now. Funny how that happens.

What initially attracted me to Box Car Racer was the balance between acoustic and heavy guitar sounds, especially on songs like "I Feel So," "There Is," and "Letters To God." Very different from Blink (at that point in time). But what I really enjoy from this album are Tom's lyrics. He manages to do meaningful and honest on this record, and I imagine this was refreshing to most Blink fans back when the album came out, especially since it followed the juvenile lyricism on Take Off Your Pants and Jacket. What's also great about this album's lyrics is their unification under the theme of "personal experience under a greater social context." To me, it's a great concept to build a record around. In that sense, this is definitely Tom's American Idiot

I'm also a huge, HUGE fan of Travis' drumming on this record. He's subtle but technical; he plays tight rhythms but he still grooves and lays down awesome beats and drum lines. It's fucking fantastic to me, especially considering that most bands that make this type of music don't always have very talented drummers. 

My absolute favorites from Box Car Racer:

and

Some of my other favorites: 

So, where my Box Car fans at?

bloodsexbooze31

bloodsexbooze31
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Joined Sep 27, 2010
  • 38 rep

i was thinking about making a thread for them the other week haha, love 'em! By far Tom's best work, the lyrics and instrumentals are phenomenal imo. 

themissingxkid

themissingxkid
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  • Joined May 08, 2009
  • 177 rep

AVA really is a continuation of Box Car Racer, just more developed and I honestly LOVED that Box Car Racer record, it really hits you when your down and all that. Just like Angels and Airwaves. Tom's writing is genius from this record to now, and I love it !

Matt.

Matt.
  • Pump Ass

• 5,645 posts
  • Joined Oct 17, 2006
  • 3,493 rep

As a huge Blink and AvA fan, I absolutely love Box Car.... simply due to Tom. I love his voice, melodies and guitar riffs.

petros

petros
  • In Jizzus we trust

• 3,227 posts
  • Joined Sep 04, 2009
  • 2,358 rep

Please if someone else says Boxcar and AvA are the same band I will come to your house and stab you :P
Not really but come on.I never got that.Listen to boxcar and then listen to the spacey and same guitar riffs all over the album that ava is.

Boxcar Racer is Tom being honest doing what he can do best and writing awesome music and lyrics.He isn't trying to be an artist he is an artist in this album(and of course the next blink album that came after it)Travis' work on this album for me is his best work.

There Is is one of my favorite Tom songs ever.

I can understand how Mark felt like he was left away but I'm glad we got Boxcar cause after that we got the Self-Titled album.

Cob

Cob
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,889 posts
  • Joined Oct 05, 2012
  • 2,526 rep

Please if someone else says Boxcar and AvA are the same band I will come to your house and stab you :P
Not really but come on.I never got that.Listen to boxcar and then listen to the spacey and same guitar riffs all over the album that ava is.

Boxcar Racer is Tom being honest doing what he can do best and writing awesome music and lyrics.He isn't trying to be an artist he is an artist in this album(and of course the next blink album that came after it)Travis' work on this album for me is his best work.

There Is is one of my favorite Tom songs ever.

I can understand how Mark felt like he was left away but I'm glad we got Boxcar cause after that we got the Self-Titled album.

This is another reason I love this record. It paved the way for their best work. 

But yeah, AVA is pretty much the evolution of Box Car, purely because it's Tom's outlet outside of Blink and he and David Kennedy apparently use the exact same writing process to come up with songs. AVA isn't all bad, at least to me. +44, Box Car Racer, and Blink are better though. 

i was thinking about making a thread for them the other week haha, love 'em! By far Tom's best work, the lyrics and instrumentals are phenomenal imo. 

It definitely has some of his best work. I think his best work get's split between this record, some of his Enema stuff, definitely the self-titled record, and finally maybe a bit from Neighborhoods and Dogs Eating Dogs

Wells

Wells
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • Joined Jan 05, 2011
  • 396 rep

Favorite side project. There's not a song on that record that I don't love.

Guest_The Beatles Are Shite_*

Guest_The Beatles Are Shite_*
  • Joined --
  • 0 rep

What happens when The Beatles and Angels & Airwaves get meshed together? 

It sounds like this pile of crap.

Cob

Cob
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,889 posts
  • Joined Oct 05, 2012
  • 2,526 rep

^ :lol: Tryin' to troll my thread. 

kaylubd

kaylubd
  • Resident Bellamy Enthusiast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,073 posts
  • Joined Feb 02, 2012
  • 2,382 rep

Funny, I just bought the album for a dollar. When I first heard some of the songs I didn't care for it, but I'm willing to give it another chance. Plus, it's an addition to my Blink collection.

Cob

Cob
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,889 posts
  • Joined Oct 05, 2012
  • 2,526 rep

Funny, I just bought the album for a dollar. When I first heard some of the songs I didn't care for it, but I'm willing to give it another chance. Plus, it's an addition to my Blink collection.

I was the same way, but listen to it alone through headphones or something. Pay attention to the vocals and the dynamics. This is such a wonderful, personal record. 

kaylubd

kaylubd
  • Resident Bellamy Enthusiast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,073 posts
  • Joined Feb 02, 2012
  • 2,382 rep

So I finally got a chance to listen to the album and it's pretty solid. I did a review on it if anyone is interested:

http://radionotfound...-box-car-racer/

Aside from a new Blink album, I would rather have a new BCR album instead of AVA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users