Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Tech Help

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

Liam

Liam
  • Mentally Deficient Seal

• 9,175 posts
  • Joined Feb 17, 2009
  • 3,455 rep

With the removal of the help forum (but not the advice forum) this is where you ask if you have any computer related troubles that you need help with.

pieterv

pieterv
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Joined Jun 20, 2011
  • 323 rep

POPULAR

What's a better way to start a tech help topic than with…

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

That fixed it? You're welcome. :)

• Liam, Gwen Stacy, fiercecircus and 2 others like this

Cat C

Cat C
  • Criminal of Thought

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,063 posts
  • Joined Oct 11, 2010
  • 4,203 rep

Need some advice on a case for my 13 inch Macbook Pro. I quite like the Speck SeeThru Satin Case in black because of the nice matte finish, but as I've just started looking I want to see if there's a cheaper one in a similar style. Anyone got any suggestions? What I like the most about this case is that the little Apple logo shines through. I'd want that from a case, and also a matte finish.

Also, I've had a look at a different style of Speck case in store, and it looked absolutely horrible. If someone told me they'd got it for £10, I'd believe them. :P It was shiny and like, purple coloured. It really put me off paying £40 for one so I want to know if anyone has any experience with the black matte cases (if they're worth the money, look quality, etc). :) 

Ritz

Ritz
  • I am the motherfucking best- Mike Dirnt.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,149 posts
  • Joined Mar 27, 2012
  • 7,543 rep

Need to compress a 1.8GB video to make it feasible for uploading. Any suggestions?

Erica Reject

Erica Reject
  • Little One

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Joined Jan 03, 2013
  • 36 rep

i need help asap, all of a sudden all my laptop's icons turned into the adobe reader logo and whenever i click on them error messages come up, and i can only go on internet in the most roundabout way. seriously i need help

Firecracker Lell

Firecracker Lell
  • Dominated Love Slave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,536 posts
  • Joined Apr 27, 2012
  • 3,516 rep

I bought an " HTC Desire C " like 10 days ago. I looked after it even better than myself! But now ( this has happened twice ), suddenly the shut down button doesn't work for the screen. It's like the screen just blinks & disappears!  :shok:

Although the phone itself is working perfectly & that button is workin' for turning off/on!

Please help! It's kind of an emergency :)

Mr Panda

Mr Panda
  • Let's be happy :)

• 3,915 posts
  • Joined Dec 18, 2012
  • 1,542 rep

Need to compress a 1.8GB video to make it feasible for uploading. Any suggestions?

man convert it to flv or 3gp using any video converter..

Cat C

Cat C
  • Criminal of Thought

• 5,063 posts
  • Joined Oct 11, 2010
  • 4,203 rep

Need some advice on a case for my 13 inch Macbook Pro. I quite like the Speck SeeThru Satin Case in black because of the nice matte finish, but as I've just started looking I want to see if there's a cheaper one in a similar style. Anyone got any suggestions? What I like the most about this case is that the little Apple logo shines through. I'd want that from a case, and also a matte finish.

Also, I've had a look at a different style of Speck case in store, and it looked absolutely horrible. If someone told me they'd got it for £10, I'd believe them. :P It was shiny and like, purple coloured. It really put me off paying £40 for one so I want to know if anyone has any experience with the black matte cases (if they're worth the money, look quality, etc). :)

Can anybody help me?? :(

Mr Panda

Mr Panda
  • Let's be happy :)

• 3,915 posts
  • Joined Dec 18, 2012
  • 1,542 rep

Can anybody help me?? :(

duno if this would help...but you can check this site.. http://www.speckprod...ro-seethru.html :)

Cat C

Cat C
  • Criminal of Thought

• 5,063 posts
  • Joined Oct 11, 2010
  • 4,203 rep

duno if this would help...but you can check this site.. http://www.speckprod...ro-seethru.html :)

Thanks. :) But that was my first port of call. Was hoping to chat to someone who has one, but it looks like I'll just be getting one anyway.

Cym

Cym
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  • Joined Sep 19, 2006
  • 380 rep
This is for the tech wizards (or at least Apple wizards) out there. A few days ago, for some reason unknown to me, my ipod decided to randomly delete about 3 notes from the Notepad feature. I know I had opened them and edited them recently, but I am fairly certain I didn't accidentally delete them myself instead of scrolling through them or whatever. And I had my ipod in my purse all day, so it's pretty impossible for my ipod to open up and accidentally change things without using the slide bar and the password.

Now, I keep pretty important stuff on my notes, because I write, and it's just handy to have this little device that I can open whenever I want and quickly type out lines I KNOW I'm gonna forget later (I have pretty bad memory problems); so this thing is really driving me crazy. I checked online for options on how to fix this or retrieve those notes, and it suggested the restore option: restoring my ipod from the last time I had backed it up to my computer (the beginning of the month). Which I did, about 5 times. Each time it would have the notes that got deleted available again, but only for a few seconds before they just disappeared without me doing anything. So what I had to do was restore it a few times and quickly copy and e-mail those notes to myself before they disappeared again. The problem now is, that the last time my ipod was backed up, it didn't have the new notes in it that I had recently added, and I don't know how to get those back, or even why they disappeared in the first place. Like I said before, I write, so this new addition that I made is driving me insane because I can hardly just pull it out of my memory and rewrite it and problem solved.

When I looked online, there was an option someone posted called Wondershare. I don't know if anyone's heard of it, but apparently it can scan your ipod for the most recently deleted information and you can pick what you want to restore. At first I was like "Yay!" and my troubles were over because I saw it can scan your ipod for free,  but you have to pay them in order for them to restore your information. The software costs about $69, and it's now given me 3 dilemmas:

1) Is my sanity worth $69? Because I do want those files back, but I don't necessarily have a lot of money to just throw at this.

2) If I buy the software and it restores my notes, will they even have the most recent additions I made? Or will I have just wasted my money and the whole process was just the same thing as when I restored it the first time from my computer?

3) Is the software even trustworthy? Has anyone ever used it and they can let me know how it worked for them?

So sorry for the long rant, but I'm really upset and frustrated right now, and I would like those notes back. If anyone can help me out with this, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

xoxo Cym

localinsomniac

localinsomniac
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts
  • Joined Mar 01, 2006
  • 425 rep

i need help asap, all of a sudden all my laptop's icons turned into the adobe reader logo and whenever i click on them error messages come up, and i can only go on internet in the most roundabout way. seriously i need help

Can you post a screen cap of the error message(s)?

Erica Reject

Erica Reject
  • Little One

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Joined Jan 03, 2013
  • 36 rep

Can you post a screen cap of the error message(s)?

i got it fixed last month actually, but thanks anyway :)

Rosie May

Rosie May
  • Positively Pessimistic

• 4,815 posts
  • Joined Mar 30, 2007
  • 1,811 rep

My Sony Vegas trial expired, and I put in the serial number for the one of bought, when I enter the number, it says the "application has to restart" for the program to work, but when I click ok, it just brings me back to the dialog box saying that the trial has expired and I need to type in the serial number. Vicious circle. 

I know sony vegas has a limited number of computers allowed to run the program, so is that the problem or is it something else? And if that is the problem, can anyone offer any solutions? 

Marius Pontmercy

Marius Pontmercy
  • I FEEL MY SOUL ON FIRE

• 8,585 posts
  • Joined Aug 18, 2010
  • 3,536 rep

ok how the fuck do i transfer my itunes library onto my samsung phone

Advertising

Cat C

Cat C
  • Criminal of Thought

• 5,063 posts
  • Joined Oct 11, 2010
  • 4,203 rep

Just started using Chrome again, but the way the links pop up on the bottom left hand corner of the page when you hover over them really annoys me. Know what I mean? It's just the link in a thin white box. Anyone know how to get rid of it somehow?

HolyHandGrenade

HolyHandGrenade
  • And now for something completely different...

• 4,799 posts
  • Joined Feb 15, 2013
  • 2,807 rep

Just started using Chrome again, but the way the links pop up on the bottom left hand corner of the page when you hover over them really annoys me. Know what I mean? It's just the link in a thin white box. Anyone know how to get rid of it somehow?

What links? Like pop-ups to go directly to content you just downloaded? Bookmarks?

Cat C

Cat C
  • Criminal of Thought

• 5,063 posts
  • Joined Oct 11, 2010
  • 4,203 rep

What links? Like pop-ups to go directly to content you just downloaded? Bookmarks?

Bottom left in white: (this happened when my mouse thingy was over your picture. It happens when you go over any link.)

Spoiler

Had a look online but all the responses are old.

tapdancingowl

tapdancingowl
  • got mugged by an owl

• 11,803 posts
  • Joined Nov 19, 2008
  • 705 rep

Can't be done according to StackOverflow.

To clarify, can't be done without messing around with JavaScript, which I wouldn't reccomend unless you know what you're doing.

Cat C

Cat C
  • Criminal of Thought

• 5,063 posts
  • Joined Oct 11, 2010
  • 4,203 rep

Can't be done according to StackOverflow.

To clarify, can't be done without messing around with JavaScript, which I wouldn't reccomend unless you know what you're doing.

Suppose I'll have to get used to it. =/ It keeps catching my eye and distracting me. Not exactly a big issue but oh well. :)

tapdancingowl

tapdancingowl
  • got mugged by an owl

• 11,803 posts
  • Joined Nov 19, 2008
  • 705 rep

Suppose I'll have to get used to it. =/ It keeps catching my eye and distracting me. Not exactly a big issue but oh well. :)

Yeah, it is a good feature in terms of verifying that links are what they say they are, but I can see how it would be annoying.

HolyHandGrenade

HolyHandGrenade
  • And now for something completely different...

• 4,799 posts
  • Joined Feb 15, 2013
  • 2,807 rep

You could change your theme to make the box a less noticeable color, if that helps

Emilie.

Emilie.
  • Merry Christmas, ya filthy animal

• 15,157 posts
  • Joined Jun 18, 2010
  • 5,022 rep

I've got a problem with my computer screen. Every now and then it seems like all the black lines and outlines of things on the screen will fade. At first it won't be that noticeable, but over a day or two they'll slowly fade until I can hardly even see them.

Like, when it gets really bad even quote boxes on GDC (as well as the text inside the quote) are hardly visible. And tab outlines and the scroll bar disappear as well. I mean, they're still there, I just can't see them. It always fixes itself after a day or so but it then it ends up coming back.

Anyone know what's wrong? I've seen some things online that tell me to fiddle with the brightness and contrast a bit, but I've tried that a few times and it doesn't help at all.

Cruise

Cruise
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  • Joined Feb 27, 2010
  • 563 rep

ok how the fuck do i transfer my itunes library onto my samsung phone

Apple puts copy protection on all their files. However these can easily be broken through conversion software. I believe "Any Audio Converter" works, the name is Any Audio converter, just in case that was confusing. But I gave up with ever apple product years ago. 

I've got a problem with my computer screen. Every now and then it seems like all the black lines and outlines of things on the screen will fade. At first it won't be that noticeable, but over a day or two they'll slowly fade until I can hardly even see them.

Like, when it gets really bad even quote boxes on GDC (as well as the text inside the quote) are hardly visible. And tab outlines and the scroll bar disappear as well. I mean, they're still there, I just can't see them. It always fixes itself after a day or so but it then it ends up coming back.

Anyone know what's wrong? I've seen some things online that tell me to fiddle with the brightness and contrast a bit, but I've tried that a few times and it doesn't help at all.

What model is your monitor?

Emilie.

Emilie.

• 15,157 posts
  • Joined Jun 18, 2010
  • 5,022 rep

What model is your monitor?

I've got a laptop, Dell Latitude E4510

Spoiler

Cruise

Cruise
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  • Joined Feb 27, 2010
  • 563 rep

I've got a laptop, Dell Latitude E4510

Spoiler

I couldn't find any info on that laptop. Any chance that it has an auto-adjustment feature, that could explain why is changes by itself. 

Emilie.

Emilie.

• 15,157 posts
  • Joined Jun 18, 2010
  • 5,022 rep

I couldn't find any info on that laptop. Any chance that it has an auto-adjustment feature, that could explain why is changes by itself. 

Oh well, thanks. It's fixed itself now :lol: But it'll probably have done it again by the end of the week.

Might just ask my friend. He has the same computer so he might know how to help.

Giov

Giov
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts
  • Joined Aug 29, 2012
  • 587 rep

I've got a problem with my laptop, the audio doesn't work, it says that there's no audio output device and then I found that this program: "IDT Audio 1.0.6365.0" has been uninstalled. What should I do? I know nothing about IT. Is there something I can download and install at home to fix it or what?

Edit: it's fixed now!

Edited by Giov, 14 July 2013 - 01:31 AM.

tapdancingowl

tapdancingowl
  • got mugged by an owl

• 11,803 posts
  • Joined Nov 19, 2008
  • 705 rep

I've got a problem with my laptop, the audio doesn't work, it says that there's no audio output device and then I found that this program: "IDT Audio 1.0.6365.0" has been uninstalled. What should I do? I know nothing about IT. Is there something I can download and install at home to fix it or what?

It would help if you provided your laptop's specs, but off the top of my head I'd say it sounds like that's an audio driver or codec that you can install. Google search it, and don't blindly download anything unless you are really sure you know what you are donwloading.

Emilie.

Emilie.

• 15,157 posts
  • Joined Jun 18, 2010
  • 5,022 rep

I've got a problem with the sound on my laptop.

Started last night, I couldn't get any sound in Youtube videos. So I found a help thing that said to just delete my history and restart Chrome. So I did that, but then when I played Youtube videos I couldn't change the sound using the volume thingy on the taskbar. I have the little shortcut buttons on the keyboard to change that volume and I was using those. So when I pressed the volume up button I could see the little speaker image change to full volume. And when I pressed mute I could see the image change to mute. But it wasn't changing Youtube's volume.

I found out it had something to do with independent RTC headphones, and that the headphone volume was now independent from the speaker volume, or the main volume. So when I actually opened the volume window I saw two volume bars, one for headphones one for the main volume.

So I was messing around, trying to fix it, and I accidentally deleted the RTC volume thing. And now I can't get any sound at all

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users