Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Fall Out Boy

• Please log in to reply
735 replies to this topic

abbieisnotamazing

abbieisnotamazing
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • Joined Jul 28, 2013
  • 279 rep

I actually like the new album. I think it's great that they're really expanding their musical boundaries.

Also, twitter fob fandom overreacting to the wiz/fob tour  :rolleyes:

Black Dynamite

Black Dynamite
  • STOP WHEN THE RED LIGHT flashES

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts
  • Joined Apr 06, 2011
  • 3,386 rep

I think it's a huge steaming pile of shite too! Bar The Kids Aren't Alright, the whole album is rubbish. I suppose Favorite Record is okay, but it feels like half the lyrics are missing to it. Oh you danced did you? Thank you for telling me 500 times in 4 minutes.

Taylor Swift is masterfully composed pop music, this is a bottom of the barrel attempt at staying relevant. 

• bollard_11 and angry_robot like this

Emilie.

Emilie.
  • Super Nintendo Chalmers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,464 posts
  • Joined Jun 18, 2010
  • 5,173 rep

that's my problem with the album, is half the songs feel like they're either missing lyrics, or half the lyrics don't match the rest of the song. Like those first lines in Uma Thurman, that "I can move mountains" etc. Really think the song would be 10x better if they took that whole section out.

And Jet Pack Blues would be better if the chorus wasn't just the same line repeated four times.

JIGD13

JIGD13
  • I Turned into a Martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts
  • Joined Jul 02, 2012
  • 2,603 rep

My only problem with this album is that, it feels over produced, I wouldn't care if they change their sound as much as they want, but what they did with the sound of the album makes you get tires of it after a few listens. But I still loved the album lyrically and Patrick's vocals are awesome. My favorite songs so far are Immortals and Novocaine.

Neon Light

Neon Light
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • Joined Jan 22, 2010
  • 448 rep

For me the new album feels like they just took another step back. The only song that stood out was Uma Thurman. The other just seemed to blend together and nothing really made it more then just background music. Fingers crossed they don't play too many new songs at soundwave. 

In what way could this possibly be seen as a step back? 

My only problem with this album is that, it feels over produced, I wouldn't care if they change their sound as much as they want, but what they did with the sound of the album makes you get tires of it after a few listens. But I still loved the album lyrically and Patrick's vocals are awesome. My favorite songs so far are Immortals and Novocaine.

Production is insanely good in my opinion.

WeAllFloatDownHere

WeAllFloatDownHere
  • Dearly Beloved

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,533 posts
  • Joined May 16, 2010
  • 4,154 rep
They're on Tonight Show doing Centuries

This is the second time hearing it live and this song doesn't sound good live for me it sounds better on the album

Morrissey.

Morrissey.
  • It could be bunnies.

• 18,224 posts
  • Joined Aug 19, 2013
  • 20,371 rep

This is the second time hearing it live and this song doesn't sound good live for me it sounds better on the album

That's what happens when you try to do pop when your bassist is shit.

WeAllFloatDownHere

WeAllFloatDownHere
  • Dearly Beloved

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,533 posts
  • Joined May 16, 2010
  • 4,154 rep

That's what happens when you try to do pop when your bassist is shit.

The music part sounded ok to me it was more the vocals

Cruise

Cruise
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts
  • Joined Feb 27, 2010
  • 578 rep

In what way could this possibly be seen as a step back? 

An increasing number of filler tracks that just blend together. With each album they put out these filler track just seem to get greater in number and become more and more generic. For more then half the songs on the album it feels like they didn't sit down and ask themselves if the songs were even of decent quality. 

I don't know its just me but FOB never really seem that great on recordings. I don't know if that is just their performance or just the camera mic just doesn't pick it all up properly, as I have always thought every single one of their live recordings sound horrible. Little over a month and I will be able to confirm one or the other. 

Emilie.

Emilie.

• 15,464 posts
  • Joined Jun 18, 2010
  • 5,173 rep

I don't know its just me but FOB never really seem that great on recordings. I don't know if that is just their performance or just the camera mic just doesn't pick it all up properly, as I have always thought every single one of their live recordings sound horrible. Little over a month and I will be able to confirm one or the other. 

Spoiler

tbh the biggest difference I noticed when I saw them live is that his voice (all of their voices) are way more high pitched than on TV :lol: they all sounded like elves

Cruise

Cruise
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts
  • Joined Feb 27, 2010
  • 578 rep

Spoiler

tbh the biggest difference I noticed when I saw them live is that his voice (all of their voices) are way more high pitched than on TV :lol: they all sounded like elves

Spoiler

I will have to make sure I remember to make that comparison. I probably wont be able to stop laughing their entire set though.

Emilie.

Emilie.

• 15,464 posts
  • Joined Jun 18, 2010
  • 5,173 rep

Spoiler

No way!

I'd heard they and some others were likely to play Brisbane but then I heard more recent rumours about Melbourne instead. So I used some of the money I'd saved

I actually really love them live so hopefully I can see them

angry_robot

angry_robot
  • Dominated Love Slave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,054 posts
  • Joined Jun 14, 2011
  • 1,962 rep

I agree on the topic of live recordings. I've seen them 3 times and it was really good: energy, sound and vocals sounded great but after the 1st show I came home and found record of it... I was like: wtf is this? Was I deaf? Next time I listened carefully during the show and it still was good but again record - not so much.

ifmemoryserves

ifmemoryserves
  • 24,398 posts
  • Joined Feb 27, 2006
  • 2,205 rep
i listened to the new album the other night, have to agree that it's shit. although i've thought the same thing about every album after from under the cork tree. i didn't even start liking save rock and roll until quite recently; their albums seem to grow on me after a while... but this one is just so utterly bland i'm not really sure if it will.

Neon Light

Neon Light
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • Joined Jan 22, 2010
  • 448 rep

An increasing number of filler tracks that just blend together. With each album they put out these filler track just seem to get greater in number and become more and more generic. For more then half the songs on the album it feels like they didn't sit down and ask themselves if the songs were even of decent quality. 

Are you sure you're not talking about the trilogy? Fall Out Boy's discography is one of the most consistent out of any band that's put out as many releases as they have.

I'll ask again, how can this be seen as a step back? With every release they are evolving and innovating while still keeping their signature sound.

I would love to know which tracks you think are "filler" and "generic". Maybe spend some more time familiarising yourself with the songs so that they don't "blend together", which almost always happens on a first listen.

Advertising

Cruise

Cruise
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts
  • Joined Feb 27, 2010
  • 578 rep

Are you sure you're not talking about the trilogy? Fall Out Boy's discography is one of the most consistent out of any band that's put out as many releases as they have.

I'll ask again, how can this be seen as a step back? With every release they are evolving and innovating while still keeping their signature sound.

I would love to know which tracks you think are "filler" and "generic". Maybe spend some more time familiarising yourself with the songs so that they don't "blend together", which almost always happens on a first listen.

The Trilogy feels like it has a much smaller percentage of filler tracks and those filler track had at least some distinguishing character to them. These songs just lack any character. 

Evolving in progression and innovation does not mean a step forward in quality. This is a step back in quality of the entire album as a whole. 

I don't need to get familiar with the tracks, I have been listening to the album since it came out and my thoughts on those songs have not changed. 

Also why does it matter to you so much? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users