Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
We're having a photography contest where you guys send in a photo that describes what that time of year means to you. Only one week left to enter.

Photo

Fall Out Boy

• Please log in to reply
679 replies to this topic

Emilie.

Emilie.
  • Merry Christmas, ya filthy animal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,124 posts
  • Joined Jun 18, 2010
  • 5,002 rep

the guy running the Soundwave festival twitter hinted that FOB might be doing a sideshow in Brisbane. Well someone asked why FOB and all time low weren't doing sideshows together, and he said that it's likely FOB will do one in Brisbane and all time low in Sydney

so yay! Might see them again. 

Maid Meringue

Maid Meringue
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • Joined Nov 05, 2014
  • 174 rep

Why do people look at me like i have 3 heads when I say that I prefer Infinity on High over their back catalogue? 

p.s. Centuries is fucking stellar - i may actually get back into listening to them because of it. 

• wood likes this

Morrissey.

Morrissey.
  • Lonely Starbucks Lover

• 17,624 posts
  • Joined Aug 19, 2013
  • 18,871 rep

Why do people look at me like i have 3 heads when I say that I prefer Infinity on High over their back catalogue? 

p.s. Centuries is fucking stellar - i may actually get back into listening to them because of it. 

Infinity On High is clearly their best album. Centuries can go away forever tbh.

ifmemoryserves

ifmemoryserves
  • 24,354 posts
  • Joined Feb 27, 2006
  • 2,116 rep
i've been really mixed on fall out boy recently. i love take this to your grave through folie a duex. save rock and roll is ok. centuries is ok too. i don't hate them, and i think they've gone through a really natural progression, stylistically. i don't mind them getting more pop or even hip hop elements into their songs.

i guess my problem is that from what i've heard it just feels like the newest songs are a further extension of save rock and roll. with every other album i feel like they've made a step forward (whether it was good or bad, a change nonetheless) but here it's starting to feel stale. but i guess i shouldn't judge off of only a few songs. i'll wait and see if the full album is any different.
  • Dirntbag likes this

Ian...

Ian...
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Joined Feb 25, 2013
  • 184 rep

I really like "From Under the Cork Tree" and that's about it. 

Sausage Gravy

Sausage Gravy
  • all the way down

• 21,656 posts
  • Joined Oct 10, 2004
  • 8,908 rep

accidentally clicked on this thread earlier today and it's led to me redownloading all their albums for the first time in ages. how did i ever forget how much i love infinity on high and take this to your grave????

angry_robot

angry_robot
  • Dominated Love Slave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,030 posts
  • Joined Jun 14, 2011
  • 1,931 rep

And since this thread is back from the dead I need to mention that their new single comes out on Monday on BBC R1.

Maid Meringue

Maid Meringue
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • Joined Nov 05, 2014
  • 174 rep

Infinity On High is clearly their best album. Centuries can go away forever tbh.

I wouldn't necessarily mind if it went away forever, but it's so much better than the other singles that were released lately, that it's good. 

i guess my problem is that from what i've heard it just feels like the newest songs are a further extension of save rock and roll. with every other album i feel like they've made a step forward (whether it was good or bad, a change nonetheless) but here it's starting to feel stale. but i guess i shouldn't judge off of only a few songs. i'll wait and see if the full album is any different.

I feel that, based on the singles I've heard, theses new songs have very little dimension and are over-produced. The term "stale" describes them very well. It's such a shame to recognize that because Patrick really does have an amazing voice and I would have liked to see how far he could have taken his raw sound. 

Dolphin

Dolphin
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Joined Nov 20, 2014
  • 97 rep

I really love under the cork tree.

Emilie.

Emilie.

• 15,124 posts
  • Joined Jun 18, 2010
  • 5,002 rep

This American Beauty American Psycho song is my favourite from the new album by far

angry_robot

angry_robot
  • Dominated Love Slave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,030 posts
  • Joined Jun 14, 2011
  • 1,931 rep

This American Beauty American Psycho song is my favourite from the new album by far

Pretty sure it's the first song we heard from the new album cause Centuries and everything else were kind of stand-alone thing. Strangely, I really dig this song. Already seeing it being very fun during concerts.

Emilie.

Emilie.

• 15,124 posts
  • Joined Jun 18, 2010
  • 5,002 rep

Pretty sure it's the first song we heard from the new album cause Centuries and everything else were kind of stand-alone thing. Strangely, I really dig this song. Already seeing it being very fun during concerts.

oh, I didn't know that! I figured centuries would be on the album. But it does sound a bit different from this new one so I guess it'd make sense if it wasn't on the album

abbieisnotamazing

abbieisnotamazing
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • Joined Jul 28, 2013
  • 264 rep

I loved AB/AP :D

bollard_11

bollard_11
  • Disposable Hero

• 9,271 posts
  • Joined Apr 17, 2009
  • 3,176 rep

Centuries is a bit terrible, I loved Save Rock and Roll, but Centuries?! Back to the drawing board lads

wood

wood
  • The Giving Tree

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts
  • Joined Mar 04, 2014
  • 940 rep

I used to loathe this band. I mean, I haaated them. But now, they're one of my favorites. I opened my mind to the clever one liners and deliciously addictive melodies. I read into hidden messages and truly appreciate Fall Out Boy, both as Top 40 artists and as rock artists.

I got into with some kid who kept arguing past me about the band. He kept saying "they're not punk." That doesn't matter. Are they good/catchy/have depth? Hell yeah. Do they have a catalogue of amazing songs? Damn straight. Are they still growing and putting on a fantastic show? A thousand times yes. I'm so happy they got back together. I never gave them the time of day during the first go around - I'm lucky to have a second chance.

And "Sugar, We're Going Down" is in my top 3 songs of all time. So perfect.

Advertising

Heather.

Heather.
  • Peacemaker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,549 posts
  • Joined Jul 03, 2011
  • 6,844 rep

As someone who knows approximately 5 Fall Out Boy songs, I have to say I LOVE Centuries and think it's a completely different sound for them.  It basically sounds like an Imagine Dragons rip-off but that's fine by me.

Asa.

Asa.
  • Raptor Vampire

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts
  • Joined Sep 24, 2012
  • 1,022 rep

As someone who knows approximately 5 Fall Out Boy songs, I have to say I LOVE Centuries and think it's a completely different sound for them.  It basically sounds like an Imagine Dragons rip-off but that's fine by me.

I don't think Imagine Dragons is quite on the same level as FOB but I kinda understand where you're coming from
  • wood likes this

Maid Meringue

Maid Meringue
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • Joined Nov 05, 2014
  • 174 rep

Imagine Dragons is one of the worst "alternative" bands I've heard in years, don't you dare compare the two.  

• armatage likes this

armatage

armatage
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts
  • Joined Jul 08, 2009
  • 375 rep

Not really digging the new direction in sound that they're taking. Save Rock and Roll grew on me, as it was still something in between what they did before hiatus and their new sound. And although I still love the lyrics from their new songs that they had just recently released, the music is just a big no-no for me. It's kind of sad I grew them out though, they were the first band that I liked.  :ermm:

ollhjr

ollhjr
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Joined Mar 28, 2011
  • 239 rep

It usually takes a few listens for any favorite band of mine when they release a new single to enjoy, but there are times I love it after the first listen.  The Kids Aren't Alright was one of those songs!!

• Dirntbag likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users