Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Streamlining the amount of forums we have

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

Fuzz

Fuzz
  • Professional Cocksmith

• 38,639 posts
  • Joined May 28, 2004
  • 15,956 rep

POPULAR

I want to make some changes, but I'd get input from all of you on how you think the structure of the forum works and how we could improve it.

I'm no fan of lots of subforums. I think it's distracting and not very inviting to new users. Plus I think it over-segregates the forum.

So here are my ideas

- Merge TV Movies, Books into General. 

I think it's a little odd that a Green Day forum has a dedicated place just for those things. I think General (meaning the forum section, not the subforum this is posted in) isn't THAT active and could be livened up by adding in these topics about different media you guys enjoy. More people would see them.

If merging them all into General seems like too much, then maybe merging them all together into a forum called "Media" or something, where people could talk about any books ,movies, games, etc. I don't think those forums are active enough on their own, and I feel like they're a little too segregated. 

- Remove the "Help" part of "Help & Advice" 

'Help' has become a kind of awkward "make any thread about any question you want." Look over the first page of stuff there, more than 50% of those threads would fit in GD chat, with many others going to General or other parts of the forum. I don't think we need a specific forum just for people to ask questions. The only things without a home would be the tech help questions. But I think we could probabyl just have one thread in General for tech help since most tech related questions are solved pretty quickly.

The advice forum would then become it's own subforum where people can continue using it as a place for personal advice related to life, relationships, sex, all that stuff. It would remain hidden to new members and guests, just be moved under the 'Community' category on it's own rather than being a subforum to Help.

So those are my ideas. I think if we  combine some forums it will help lead to making more interesting places and expose people to a wider group of content. It could also lead to more members seeing topics that would otherwise go unnoticed or have less traffic (like some book threads). 

In my mind, these ideas are fantastic. Because everything I think of is amazing and always positive and never ever have any downsides, ever. But they might suck. I just want feedback and will do whatever you guys and the mod team think is the best approach. 

love you long time,

--Fuzzicle

• Kaddi., Little Girl Little One, Marius Pontmercy and 3 others like this

Ritz

Ritz
  • I am the motherfucking best- Mike Dirnt.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,091 posts
  • Joined Mar 27, 2012
  • 7,433 rep

I agree to the first idea. The Books, Movies sub-forum should be merged to General Chat. And the second idea looks good to me too.

Cob

Cob
  • Dominated Love Slave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,007 posts
  • Joined Oct 05, 2012
  • 2,583 rep

You have my vote on the Advice forum. 

Emilie.

Emilie.
  • Super Nintendo Chalmers

• 14,629 posts
  • Joined Jun 18, 2010
  • 4,692 rep
I like that we have books and movies separate. I think because so many movies and shows come from books (like Harry Potter, Hunger Games, Sherlock, etc) it'd be cluttered and confusing to have those in the same place.

But I like the Help forum idea. The only reason I ever go there is to get to GDC help anyway.
  • BringMoreKnives likes this

She-Loves-Him

She-Loves-Him
  • chase that disco ball around

• 13,542 posts
  • Joined Mar 05, 2006
  • 2,433 rep

I think it would be way too much to merge all the books/tv etc into general, but having them all together in a media section on its own would be alright.

• JorickF likes this

Fuzz

Fuzz
  • Professional Cocksmith

• 38,639 posts
  • Joined May 28, 2004
  • 15,956 rep

I like that we have books and movies separate. I think because so many movies and shows come from books (like Harry Potter, Hunger Games, Sherlock, etc) it'd be cluttered and confusing to have those in the same place.

But I like the Help forum idea. The only reason I ever go there is to get to GDC help anyway.

But ultimately, do we REALLY need a thread for both the books AND the movies. Or why not one for each. It's not like there are new ones coming out so people could go in and talk about stuff still.

Catbug

Catbug
  • Spermbreath

• 9,002 posts
  • Joined Feb 17, 2009
  • 3,286 rep

Merge TV Movies, Books into General - I'm not completely for this but if we were to do it then I do like your idea of just making it into a "Media" forum, it also means we can also bring back the gaming forum in a different way. We would just have to make sure people specify in the title if its game, movie, book or tv show

Remove the "Help" part of "Help & Advice" - I'm completely for what you said, the threads being in GD chat or General chat means they will probably get more attention anyway. 

Emilie.

Emilie.
  • Super Nintendo Chalmers

• 14,629 posts
  • Joined Jun 18, 2010
  • 4,692 rep

But ultimately, do we REALLY need a thread for both the books AND the movies. Or why not one for each. It's not like there are new ones coming out so people could go in and talk about stuff still.

That's true.

GreenRanger

GreenRanger
  • Probably Someone Else

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,050 posts
  • Joined Jun 23, 2010
  • 1,558 rep

I'm a little confused about the first idea.  Would all of movies, TVs, and books only get one thread or would all the threads for the indivual works just get moved into general?  The latter I would be okay with even though I like them having their own subforums.  The former would be plain icky to me...like all movies in the same thread?  I don't want to say I can't imagine that that's the idea in case it is, but yeah, I think that individual works deserve their own thread.

But personally I kind of like things the way they are with regards to media.  It feels organized that way since there are a lot of threads there.  I feel like if you put too many of the subforums together, this would move a lot...and we all know how well people like to use the search function... But yeah, I'd be partial to a media forum.  It's a pretty accepted thing that one of the great things about GDC is that Green Day is the one thing we all have in common in addition to all this other stuff, so I wouldn't like seeing all the other stuff get downplayed.  Maybe I'm just personally biased or whatever, but there's my one and a half cents.

The Forgotten

The Forgotten
  • Betty White's boytoy

• 3,300 posts
  • Joined May 18, 2012
  • 1,578 rep

I agree with both ideas. good thinking Andres  :drinks:

Fuzz

Fuzz
  • Professional Cocksmith

• 38,639 posts
  • Joined May 28, 2004
  • 15,956 rep

I agree with both ideas. good thinking Andres  :drinks:

SEE GUYS! I DO HAVE GOOD IDEAS TO AT LEAST ONE PERSON.

Thank you. You're my new favorite member. 

• Hermione, Florence, KarlyLovesGD and 1 other like this

Catbug

Catbug
  • Spermbreath

• 9,002 posts
  • Joined Feb 17, 2009
  • 3,286 rep

SEE GUYS! I DO HAVE GOOD IDEAS TO AT LEAST ONE PERSON.

Thank you. You're my new favorite member. 

As I recall, the tech thread in general was my idea :P

Todd

Todd
  • Sweet and Sour Children

• 13,018 posts
  • Joined Mar 07, 2012
  • 5,911 rep

Execute order 66, commander.

• Cob likes this

BeachBum

BeachBum
  • Artistic Junkie

• 8,687 posts
  • Joined Jan 22, 2006
  • 4,384 rep

I am meh to the first part.  Having a bizzlion threads in general for new movies is equally if not more confusing to shift through as it is find a subforum.  I would be fine with merging them into a common forum.

I am good with the second suggestion.

bass boy

bass boy
  • You stupid fuck.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,161 posts
  • Joined Jul 17, 2008
  • 351 rep

I don't like the idea of putting movies and books in general, i think just having one Media section (as previously stated) with books, movies and all that would be great.

Advertising

Lindsay

Lindsay
  • Tittysprinkles

• 6,053 posts
  • Joined Mar 08, 2010
  • 4,065 rep

Big HELL NO to merging TV, movies and books into general. That would turn into one giant clusterfuck and would be completely disorganized; while it would liven up general chat, it would become much, much harder to find stuff. I'm fine with the 'Media' idea but I really do think things are good the way they are right now. It's organized and relatively easy to find stuff.  

I am fine with the 2nd idea though. :P

Catbug

Catbug
  • Spermbreath

• 9,002 posts
  • Joined Feb 17, 2009
  • 3,286 rep

Guys when he says General, he doesn't mean General Chat. He means the General forum that has Other Bands and Shenanigans and stuff. Movies & TV and At The Library would become one subforum called Media where games would be included as well

BringMoreKnives

BringMoreKnives
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,572 posts
  • Joined Jul 30, 2008
  • 1,318 rep

I'm not too fond of the first idea, but agree with the 2nd.

ConfirmPassword

ConfirmPassword
  • My imaginary friend thinks you're stupid

• 3,264 posts
  • Joined Mar 27, 2010
  • 860 rep
I like the idea of making a media forum. I'm think The General chat'll might be too messy if we move all the threads in there.

Second idea is good though

fukingcounterstrike

fukingcounterstrike
  • legally retarded

• 10,327 posts
  • Joined Jun 12, 2007
  • 4,225 rep

Keep your ancy paws off my forum :mad:

No good ever comes from change and history teaches us that. Go read a book. A history book.

Hedwig

Hedwig
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,111 posts
  • Joined Mar 02, 2011
  • 711 rep
I'm a fan of the "media" idea, it'd become more active plus medias that are left out today would get a home.

I think merging it all into general would be too much, though. None of these threads would get any attention that way.

Also the help thing is good. We don't really need that.

Vespertine

Vespertine
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,088 posts
  • Joined Nov 16, 2009
  • 450 rep

Merging the Movies & TV and the At The Library forums into one forum sounds like a great idea to me. The books forum is pretty much dead anyway and I don't think there are many interesting discussions going on there at the moment, unfortunately. So yeah, I don't think we need a forum just for books. 

I'm fine with the second idea too. 

fiercecircus

fiercecircus
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,584 posts
  • Joined Aug 21, 2011
  • 527 rep

In my mind, these ideas are fantastic. Because everything I think of is amazing and always positive and never ever have any downsides, ever.

Umm. Right...o_O

Honestly these changes sound fine to me. It seems silly to have so many subforums and stuff. I only check a couple of high traffic areas and tend to forget the rest.

love you long time,

--Fuzzicle

I swear to all the gods and goddesses if you show up at any of the Northeast gigs this spring i am gonna dry hump the fuck out of your leg. <3
  • Fuzz likes this

Hermione

Hermione
  • Soggy Dream

• 27,455 posts
  • Joined Jan 09, 2008
  • 10,109 rep
I'm for combining TV, Movies and Books with General, General is nicely busy but I don't think it's so busy that it couldn't take it, and I think it could benefit those quiet and hidden away topics. Combining them into a "Media" forum instead would definitely be better than nothing and I'd be happy with it, but I vote for going all the way!

And I agree with getting rid of Help, a tech questions thread in General would clear up anything that wouldn't fit in General or GD Chat on it's own. In particular I think it'd be good for Green Day related questions to be in GD Chat so that Green Day experts see them, so I'd welcome that change. Yay for less forums :D

Maria Gloria

Maria Gloria
  • Dearly Beloved

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,548 posts
  • Joined Jun 05, 2010
  • 5,868 rep

I agree that a media forum would be a good idea, but that everything being in General Chat would be too messy.

The rest sounds good though.

Sarcasm

Sarcasm
  • Panty Purée/Savior of Lives/Arse Doctor

• 16,003 posts
  • Joined Mar 18, 2009
  • 10,025 rep
Lumping everything from media into general would be a huge clusterfuck. But it doesn't hurt to try it out, as you said, it's fantastic in your mind, but thats the same thought Stephanie Meyer had when she wrote Twilight, it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Amanda

Amanda
  • Loved Very Much by Joey

• 30,241 posts
  • Joined Apr 08, 2005
  • 7,634 rep

POPULAR

Get rid of all the other forums and change General Chat to Cat Chat.
  • Hermione, Mar, Emilie. and 3 others like this

Mar

Mar
  • Streets ahead

• 18,255 posts
  • Joined Jul 23, 2009
  • 5,050 rep

Guys when he says General, he doesn't mean General Chat. He means the General forum that has Other Bands and Shenanigans and stuff. Movies & TV and At The Library would become one subforum called Media where games would be included as well

If that's the case, I think that's fine, if not great for someone like me. That way you could include games, as you said. In General Chat, hell no, that would be a mess, I think.

I'm cool with the Help idea; I tend to accidentally click on the wrong forum anyway, so this would help eliminate that.

Katarina.

Katarina.
  • Wanderlust

• 25,997 posts
  • Joined Sep 27, 2007
  • 3,295 rep

I like the idea of a Media forum for movies & TV, books and games too. That'd be great.

Agreed on removing the Help part of Help & advice. Like you said most of the questions would be better in other places like GD chat, General chat or a thread for tech help. I always go straight to Advice anyway!

mechanicalman

mechanicalman
  • 11,274 posts
  • Joined Oct 07, 2006
  • 1,542 rep

Bring back the Sports forum. And Green Day Chat is really annoying, that can go.

• Supa Hot Fire and Marius Pontmercy like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users