Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Posted Image  New "F**K Cancer" shirt. 100% of profits are going to breast cancer charity. Check them out.

Photo

Top 3 Bands And Why

• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

Louiejub

Louiejub
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Joined Nov 24, 2012
  • 432 rep

I've looked and I didn't see any topics like this, but if I missed it or didn't follow the guidelines properly or something, feel free to take it down.

ANYWAY, being the intrusive guy that I am (*coughnotcough*), what are your top 3 favorite bands and why? My favorite is Green Day (obviously), followed by Linkin Park, and then by Coldplay. I really love how distinct and different they are from each other, as well as their unique sounds. I also love them due to their relatable messages in their songs. All three of them are also reallly bitchin' live from what I've seen as well. SO! What are your favorites?

Edited by Louiejub, 02 February 2013 - 12:51 AM.

PineappleScentedLube<3

PineappleScentedLube<3
  • Welcome to Paradise

• Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Joined Apr 17, 2011
  • 4 rep

1. Nickelback

Reason: Not sure why. When I was a little grl (about 4 years old) me and dad would listen to all this heavy rock stuff like Wolfmother, Def Leppard and Metallica. I love those three as well, but Nickelback was the one thing that struck me as the best and from then on I did everything I could to get my hands on their CDs and music in general. So... I'm 14 in sixty something days and I've loved them since I was four.

2. Green Day

Reason: These guys would be first if not for Nickelback, just because of the sheer awesomeness that no one can explain because their awesomeness is far beyond the limits of human beings' understanding.

3. can I do a tie?

Reason: Sometimes Kasabian comes third, and sometimes My Chemical Romance comes third!! :P Listening to Kasabian has an affect on me that most bands can't do, like I can relate to the insanity and kind of sadness in their songs. And listening to My Chemical Romance makes me feel realllly cool lol xD

Mr Panda

Mr Panda
  • Let's be happy :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,912 posts
  • Joined Dec 18, 2012
  • 1,542 rep

dont think this thread gonna last long...but still.. and they are fucking awesome \m/

1.greenday-because they are the 1st english(edit-singing in english :P ) band i have ever heard to

2.hinder-because of the husky tone

3(i).daughtry-because of chris daughtry 3(ii)bullet for my valentine-because they are metal :)

letterbomb91

letterbomb91
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Joined Dec 18, 2011
  • 126 rep

1.) Green Day (duh lol) Reason: Cause they are the band that got me though middle school and high school so they hold a special place for me.

2.) Evanescence  Reason: They freakin rock

3.) Disturbed Reason: Also they freakin rock

• PineappleScentedLube<3 and missminority182 like this

Guest_As Good As It Gets_*

Guest_As Good As It Gets_*
  • Joined --
  • 0 rep

Let's see...

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - There isn't a band like them. Nearly 40 years strong, some truly incredible songs and pretty much the entire band are genius at what they each do, but still easy to appreciate. My favourite band.

Peter Gabriel - He wrote Solsbury Hill. That and So. His band's pretty top notch too

Paul Simon - Master songwriter. Knows how to really make a song the best it can be

Great thread.

• Amanda likes this

gdpony

gdpony
  • Anna Molly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,531 posts
  • Joined Oct 10, 2009
  • 1,223 rep

well this is hard.

Green Day: They will always be my favorite band, the first band I truly fell in love with.

Incubus: I don't know how to explain how much their music means to me, how much it inspires me. Very talented musicians with amazing lyrics.

The Strokes: Amazing, and so underrated ... I've loved them for a pretty long time too.

Foo Fighters, A Perfect Circle, Tool, Zoe, Pink Floyd, Radiohead, Arctic Monkeys get special mentions :P

• Comrade likes this

mies

mies
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,022 posts
  • Joined May 07, 2008
  • 1,050 rep
It's the wrong place for this thread :P

1) Green day : Cause they changed and saved my life. The moment i started listning to them I was really depressed and bullied. There music helpt me to feel better.

2) MCR : When teenager came out is was is love :wub: But never stared listning to there music. When they came in 2011 for a concert i just bought a ticket (no idea why i wasn't a fan :lol: ) When I came back from the concert i was in love and downloaded all there albums
Spoiler

3) I can't choose between linkin park or simple plan. At this moment it's probely linkin park. Last year i won some tickets to see them live. I only knew a few songs like , in the end/numb. But again after the concert i was in love. Now i listen to them every day. The lyrics is just the same how i feel at this moment.
  • PineappleScentedLube<3 and Harry Potter. like this

ANJI

ANJI
  • Drenched in Syn!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,762 posts
  • Joined Apr 09, 2009
  • 942 rep

1. Green Day - I just love their songs! They got me into rock music, changed my clothing style and made me pick up and learn guitar. Also some of their songs can relate to me when i havent had that happen to me from other bands.

2. Avenged Sevenfold - Because of Green Day, my music style changed and i've got into more metal and heavy metal music. That's when i discovered this amazing band. They have awesome, catchy songs too! I want to see them live someday.

3. MCR - They rock! I love how they look different for every album, like Three Cheers, The Black Parade and The Killjoys!

:D

Viva La Sonia!

Viva La Sonia!
  • Think Lovely Wonderful Thoughts

• 5,099 posts
  • Joined Jul 10, 2011
  • 1,999 rep
1. Rise To Remain : sheer brilliance, the music, Austin's voice, the lyrics, everything about them makes them one of the best metal bands at the moment and one of my favourite bands ever

2. You Me At Six : also as brilliant :) but they make diverse music and amazing lyrics

3. Alter Bridge : the lyrics, the sadness, the music, I find it quite relatable

MrLund96

MrLund96
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • Joined Feb 19, 2012
  • 95 rep

1.greenday-because they are the 1st english band i have ever heard to

Green Day aren't English, they're American..

But anyway, my top three would be:

1. Green Day - they changed me and made me who I am, hadn't it been for them, I'd probably still be playing someone who I'm not. Other than that - the music and lyrics are simply the best out there!

2. Bad Religion - only just got into them last year or something when I saw them from Roskilde 2011, that concert was just so good and I was ON!

3. Roxie77 - This band is probably pretty unknown if not completely unknown to most people, but they just have some amazing music really, you should definitely check them out on band camp!

PixlovesBJA

PixlovesBJA
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts
  • Joined Jan 14, 2012
  • 1,556 rep

1) Green Day - Because, ya know? I love their music, of course. :wub: I can relate to their songs, so yes. :D The only band whose music resonates with me so deeply. God, when it comes to describing my love for this band, I run out of words. :wub: 

2) My Chemical Romance - Here again, I can relate to their songs. I love Gerard's voice. And the songs are so beautiful, it makes me cry sometimes. :') I was having a tough time at school last year, and MCR's songs made me better. I listened to MCR all day and they helped me. :') 

3) Blink 182 - They're awesome. I love their songs. I have a huge crush on Mark Hoppus, btw. :lol: 

There you go, my Top 3 Bands. 

• PineappleScentedLube<3 and Harry Potter. like this

ComaWhite

ComaWhite
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,546 posts
  • Joined Apr 23, 2008
  • 138 rep

To mention GD is useless here, so I choose 3 other bands :)

1) Rise Against: the music / lyrics are just awesome

2) Die Toten Hosen: i grew up with their music and they were the first rockband i listened to

3) AFI: same reason as nr.1 :D + Davey is :wub: :wub:  :D :D

• DTH likes this

Gregorovich

Gregorovich
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • Joined Oct 20, 2012
  • 481 rep

POPULAR

1. Sum 41: One of the only mainstream pop-punk bands of the early '00s to actually break the mold, move on and become damn good musicians. Everything they do, they do for the fans - they're one of the most dedicated bands I know. I don't want to start an argument here, but their albums Chuck and Screaming Bloody Murder blow anything Blink-182, Good Charlotte or Simple Plan have ever done completely out of the water.

2. Green Day: Each member is a fantastic song-writer, musician and performer. Their lyrics may not be as good as other bands, but they more than make up for it in other fields.

3. Linkin Park: This band's drive to constantly push the boat out in terms of musical experimentation and thematic ideas astounds me. Their reluctance to go return to their trademark hybrid theory of 'metal + rap = $$$', and regular interaction with both fans and charities, single them out as musicians concerned with absolutely nothing less than themselves.

Rise Against comes a close 4th.

• stich, Doris The Spider, VisionsofGreenDay115 and 4 others like this

TheJesusOfSuburbiaIsALie

TheJesusOfSuburbiaIsALie
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,098 posts
  • Joined Aug 14, 2011
  • 1,041 rep

Green Day: Their music is so relate-able, I love their perfomances and their music has really helped through some difficult times. 

Halestorm: Lzzy's voice. Nuff said.

MCR: Their music is utterly amazing. The lyrics fill me with a extreme range of emotions.

Green Day aren't English, they're American..

Nah, he means it like the band that sang in english :)

XXXNoOneKnowsXXX

XXXNoOneKnowsXXX
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • Joined Aug 27, 2012
  • 61 rep

1) Ramones: Because are they the first band that i heard, and thanks to they I met the Punk Rock music.

2) Green Day: Because i love your sound and lyrics, and because was one of the bands that i heard for first time when I was a child.

3) Ozzy Osbourne: He is my favorite singer of Heavy Metal, I love your music and the albums Ozzmosis and Bark At The Moon are one of my favorites albums of music in general.

• Billie Hoe is my hero likes this

Advertising

Hermione

Hermione
  • Soggy Dream

• 26,924 posts
  • Joined Jan 09, 2008
  • 9,563 rep

Moved to Other Bands  :thumbsup:

FatVince

FatVince
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Joined Dec 22, 2012
  • 118 rep

Hard to choose. There are my rankings.

1) Green Day, the first band I ever loved. Even after all these years, I can't stop listen to them. There are periods where I don't listen to Green Day, but they always will be my favorite one.

2) blink-182. Same reasons as Green Day (but the second band I loved).

3) The Jim Jones Revue. English rock'n'roll fever.

NoFX, Bad Religion, The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion, The Ramones, The Clash, AC/DC or The Stooges could easily be close fourth.

• Cob likes this

StuckWithInsomnia

StuckWithInsomnia
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts
  • Joined May 26, 2012
  • 451 rep

Green Day - Their songs are awesome

The Offspring - Their songs are almost just as awesome

Eminem - His songs are less awesome than the first two

Cat C

Cat C
  • Criminal of Thought

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,663 posts
  • Joined Oct 11, 2010
  • 3,790 rep

Bands only? Awh. 

1) Green Day - They're the first band I got into on my own at 13 with American Idiot. Their songs are great, relatable, and BJA is an inspirational lyricist. Although their power-chord style may sound uninventive (especially in the trilogy) he keeps things sounding fresh by delving into his psyche to pull out some incredibly written messages. What I admire most about Green Day is that they're not trying to appeal to anyone - they write because they want to write, and if they appeal to a huge audience then great. The music is made purely because they felt like it needed to be made. It has purpose, and I love that. Plus, they're a fucking amazing live band. Every good band should be able to play live!

2) Red Hot Chili Peppers - Can't really listen to the lyrics of this band because most of it is a stoned mess… Appreciate the Chili's because of all the good times in my life they've soundtracked and the talent of each individual member as musicians. When it was that combination of Flea and John, omg. Their music was my aeroplane (yes I know that wasn't John F's song but still!) Also, see my member title.

3) The Killers - Love this band because I feel their sound is a mixture of all the music I listen to: electronic pop and pure rock. Sam's Town even replaced American Idiot as my favourite album of all time for a short while… And THAT is saying something! They're a really visual band, which inspires me and attracts me. Their music takes me to Las Vegas, or Mexico, or somewhere abandoned and dusty that comes alive at night, draped in flickering neon signs advertising strip clubs and cheap food. It's so atmospheric. 

• K!ngForADay likes this

Guest_RedStrokes_*

Guest_RedStrokes_*
  • Joined --
  • 0 rep

well this is hard.

Green Day: They will always be my favorite band, the first band I truly fell in love with.

Incubus: I don't know how to explain how much their music means to me, how much it inspires me. Very talented musicians with amazing lyrics.

The Strokes: Amazing, and so underrated ... I've loved them for a pretty long time too.

Foo Fighters, A Perfect Circle, Tool, Zoe, Pink Floyd, Radiohead, Arctic Monkeys get special mentions :P

You are fucking amazing for loving green day and the strokes :D

Céadóg

Céadóg
  • Fucking say it

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,003 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 18,681 rep

Green Day: Obvious first choice. First band I got into by myself, starting with American Idiot and never looking back. I've listened to them varying amounts over the past 8/9 years, but they've always been there for me when I've gotten sick of other bands.

Biffy Clyro: If you'd have asked me a year ago, they'd probably have been my favorite. They're probably sneaking up on Green Day again, as their new album is fucking incredible. Simon Neil is honestly one of the finest songwriters I've ever heard, and such an incredible person. And he and the twins are phenomenal musicians. Masters of the abnormal.

My third is much harder to choose, as it varies between where my interests lie at various times. My most recent was blink-182, but other recent ones included The Clash, The Stiff Little Fingers, RHCP, Nirvana, and Havok.

• PigSniffingGlue and Cob like this

Guest_RedStrokes_*

Guest_RedStrokes_*
  • Joined --
  • 0 rep
1. Green Day- they were the first real artist to get me into music, and I started listening to them when I was 9. I remember going into my older cousin's room and trying to burn myself a copy of warning before she got home. She was the one who really got me into music. Through her i found green day, the strokes, the white stripes, and the clash :D favorite song of mine is brat, and favorite album is insomniac.

2. The Strokes- I didn't officially get into them until I was 12 or so, they are amazing artists, who contribute a great amount of individual talent. They have an old fashioned, 60s/70s feel to them, with fun sometimes abstract lyrics. My favorite song of theirs is juicebox and my favorite album is room on fire.

3. Nirvana- the kings of the 90s :D I started listening when I was about 10 or 11. I remember having the biggest crush on kurt Cobain when I was a kid. :P and today he's a HUGE inspiration for me artistically and just living wise. They are truly a band worth talking about today. My favorite song would have to be lithium and favorite album would have to be bleach.

Edit: I think it's an Important mention that lana del Rey was a close match for nirvana. She is one hell of a singer/ songwriter. My favorite song of hers is bad disease and my favorite album of hers is sirens or born to die.

Honorable mentions: the ramones, screeching weasel, rites of spring, minor threat, the who, and the Descendents

Edited by GreenStrokes, 25 January 2013 - 11:02 AM.

• Cob likes this

Wells

Wells
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts
  • Joined Jan 05, 2011
  • 456 rep

The 1975: I just got into them two months ago and they don't have much material out yet, but I don't think I've ever fallen so quickly in love with a band and their songs before. I absolutely love the singer's voice and the way he uses it and just their sound in general. I'm so, so excited for their debut album to come out.

Frightened Rabbit: got into these pretty recently as well, but boy how great they are. Love them to pieces.

blink-182: they have a song for every mood and they've gotten me through a lot. I can relate to their lyrics and they simply just make me happy.

Vic_Rattlehead

Vic_Rattlehead
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Joined Jul 03, 2011
  • 223 rep

1) Green Day - The band that got me into music, and I'm sure if it weren't for Green Day I wouldn't enjoy music, play bass or drums, or go to music college. Oh, and their songs are pretty good too ;)

2) Megadeth - The first band I got into metal, I discovered them through Guitar Hero :P top-notch metal, some of the best riffs and solos around, but with a melodic edge, making them easily accessible, even to non-metal fans.

3) The Beatles - Just brilliant, and you all know why, but they don't hold the same sentimental value that Green Day and Megadeth do, as I only got into them relatively recently.

4) Clutch 5) Buckethead 6) Marilyn Manson 7) Alice Cooper 8) Beastie Boys 9) Queen 10) Eminem

WestboundSign!

WestboundSign!
  • Invisible Llama

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,059 posts
  • Joined Apr 20, 2011
  • 3,469 rep

1) Green Day: They made me the person I am today and I'm unbelievably thankful for that. They changed my life, shaped me and help me through everyday life and also hard times. There's a song fitting for every mood I'm in, I absolutely adore their music and lyrics. Also, they're the very first band I totally got into and love.. and that also got me into a lot of other amazing bands.

2) Social Distortion: Mike Ness probably is the best song writer ever. Social Distortion's lyrics are deep, personal, meaningful and also very self-reflecting and self-critical. I just love that. This made me love this band even more, they've become really important. Also, Mike's voice is unique.

3) Billy Talent: Great music, great songwriting.. and that backed up with Ben's impressive voice. Their last album made me like them even more than I already did before.

Radio Victim

Radio Victim
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Joined Oct 23, 2012
  • 245 rep

1. Sum 41: One of the only mainstream pop-punk bands of the early '00s to actually break the mold, move on and become damn good musicians. Everything they do, they do for the fans - they're one of the most dedicated bands I know. I don't want to start an argument here, but their albums Chuck and Screaming Bloody Murder blow anything Blink-182, Good Charlotte or Simple Plan have ever done completely out of the water.

2. Green Day: Each member is a fantastic song-writer, musician and performer. Their lyrics may not be as good as other bands, but they more than make up for it in other fields.

3. Linkin Park: This band's drive to constantly push the boat out in terms of musical experimentation and thematic ideas astounds me. Their reluctance to go return to their trademark hybrid theory of 'metal + rap = $$$', and regular interaction with both fans and charities, single them out as musicians concerned with absolutely nothing less than themselves.

Rise Against comes a close 4th.

i completely agree with what you said about Sum 41, I've felt the same way although sadly, not many average joes remember them

K!ngForADay

K!ngForADay
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Joined Oct 15, 2012
  • 27 rep

Well I got into music because of Green Day when I was only 7 and I've never looked back since then. Their songs are just...wow. Got me into all sorts of music and inspired me to join a band and learn instruments. I'm obsessed with these guys. Haven't always been my favorite band however they overtook RHCP around summer last year and are leagues ahead now!  :dance: Used to love Snow Patrol and Razorlight too but have gone off them a lot. Apart from Green Day...

1: General Fiasco

Only got into them last year but wow. They're relatively unknown and rather local to me which helped me get into them. Every song they produce sounds like it could be a hit single! I saw them on front of a crowd of about 50 people and although they only played six songs it was amazing. I met them and had a chat! Was so close I could pluck the singer's bass with ease! Their music is so upbeat and catchy, and the lyrics are genius. Here's their first single they released..

2: Two Door Cinema Club

These guys are much more well known than General Fiasco. You may recognise some of their songs from Vodafone adverts! Great musicians and their new album is fantastic. Relatively local as well!

3: Red Hot Chili Peppers

Well, I assume you all know these guys! Going strong for 30 years! So funky, so awesome...were my favorite band up until last summer. Incredible musicians as well...here's my favorite Pepper's song..

Other bands I love are Muse, Coldplay, Green Days side projects and KT Tunstall  :thumbsup:

Edited by K!ngForADay, 25 January 2013 - 11:51 AM.

Radio Victim

Radio Victim
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Joined Oct 23, 2012
  • 245 rep

1.) Operation Ivy

-Making only one album and inspiring countless bands says something! Op Ivy mixed ska with just straight up punk and made some real magic happen with that! Every song they've written has actual meaning behind it whether it's political (Freeze Up) or just wanting someone to shut up (Yellin' In My Ear) they mean something, Jesse Michaels=Lyrical genius. not to mention how amazing Tim, Matt and Dave are at their instruments! Once you hear one Op Ivy song, you wanna hear every Op Ivy song which is easy considering they only had Hectic and Energy (not including Seedy and all their other "unreleased" stuff). God, they were ahead of their time. What a fucking amazing and energetic band!!!

2.) The Clash

-Words have power and who better than The Clash? Not just the lyrics but The Clash are one of the most, if not the most, diverse bands ever! Just listen to London Calling and you can get some punk, some reggae, jazz, blues, and just good rock n roll! They knew how to make a point through music!

3.) The Descendents

-The Descendents are one of the best bands to help teenage kids relate to someone! All, hehe..."All", 4 members are just so good at the instruments they play! My favorite thing about them is how explicit they are about certain things, they don't hold back on what they want to say! Exellent Exellent Exellent!

• Basic Radio likes this

Ashleycase

Ashleycase
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Joined Nov 19, 2012
  • 397 rep

1) Green Day of course. It's the very first band I fell in love with. They made me grew up musically and inspired me so much...They're just perfect.

2) Blink-182. It's just such an unic band. Their jokes, humor, music, style, lyrics...I love everything in that band.

3) The Red Hot Chili Peppers, they're amazing...just listen to their lyrics and you'll see that straight away...even if you don't like the music itself (but I find the music awesome of course). Great musicians and band.

Steven Seagull

Steven Seagull
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,936 posts
  • Joined Dec 02, 2012
  • 1,381 rep

1) Green Day - Just the best band in the world, simple melody, lyrics...

2) Blink 182 - funny and cool

3) Sum 41 - guitar riffs are awesome

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users