Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Voting has started in the Karaoke Contest. Listen to the entries and vote for your favorite.

Photo

+44

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

Cob

Cob
  • Dominated Love Slave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,018 posts
  • Joined Oct 05, 2012
  • 2,586 rep

I was digging into my music library when I rediscovered When Your Heart Stops Beating. I love this record, I think it's about equal to Box Car Racer in terms of sheer musicality and overall awesomeness.

If Box Car Racer is the prequel or prologue to Blink-182, then I like to think that When Your Heart Stops Beating is the sequel or the epilogue.

I love the guitar orchestrations and how they blend together with the synthesizers to create a really unique pop-punk sound; a sound that definitely belongs solely to this band. And Travis Barker is an absolute monster on this record, just look to his high hat work on "When Your Heart Stops Beating." I'm also really fond of Mark Hoppus' harmonies on here, and how he utilizes layering to create a huge vocal sound. I also think it has some of Mark's best songs ever, really good stuff. Carol Heller's harmonies are also amazing, some of the best stuff I've ever heard. 

My absolute favorite song on the record: 

My other favorites: 

I know there are bound to be other fans on GDC. So where you guys at!?!

• LazyPhil, Batgirl, Harry Potter. and 1 other like this

Insomniac45

Insomniac45
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Joined Sep 16, 2012
  • 256 rep

Ah, yes. Mark's side project. I loved them in all honesty. Cliff Diving, Interlude, and Chapter 13 are my favourites. I really hope they continue with this project in the future. Would be sick.

Cob

Cob
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 3,018 posts
  • Joined Oct 05, 2012
  • 2,586 rep
Ah, yes. Mark's side project. I loved them in all honesty. Cliff Diving, Interlude, and Chapter 13 are my favourites. I really hope they continue with this project in the future. Would be sick.

I would love another album, as long as they don't let the electronics overtake the instrumentation. And Carol Heller would HAVE to come back to do more vocal work. 

Insomniac45

Insomniac45
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Joined Sep 16, 2012
  • 256 rep
I would love another album, as long as they don't let the electronics overtake the instrumentation. And Carol Heller would HAVE to come back to do more vocal work. 

Yeah, I agree. They did the perfect amount of balance in electronics vs. instrumentals in my opinion though. And yes! Make You Smile is such a good song. 

AND I ALMOST FORGOT ABOUT 155! That is still one of my all time favourites as well.

• Cob likes this

Batgirl

Batgirl
  • #twerk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,145 posts
  • Joined Jan 17, 2011
  • 3,185 rep
I was digging into my music library when I rediscovered When Your Heart Stops Beating. I love this record, I think it's about equal to Box Car Racer in terms of sheer musicality and overall awesomeness.

If Box Car Racer is the prequel or prologue to Blink-182, then I like to think that When Your Heart Stops Beating is the sequel or the epilogue.

I love the guitar orchestrations and how they blend together with the synthesizers to create a really unique pop-punk sound; a sound that definitely belongs solely to this band. And Travis Barker is an absolute monster on this record, just look to his high hat work on "When Your Heart Stops Beating." I'm also really fond of Mark Hoppus' harmonies on here, and how he utilizes layering to create a huge vocal sound. I also think it has some of Mark's best songs ever, really good stuff. Carol Heller's harmonies are also amazing, some of the best stuff I've ever heard. 

My absolute favorite song on the record: 

My other favorites: 

I know there are bound to be other fans on GDC. So where you guys at!?!

Oh my god, Jacob! I wish I could give you 1000 reps for that post. Baby Come On is my favorite too. It's just :runaround: I love +44. I'm glad Mark said that him and Travis wouldn't leave that band behind because of Blink getting back together :happy:

• Cob likes this

Cob

Cob
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 3,018 posts
  • Joined Oct 05, 2012
  • 2,586 rep
Oh my god, Jacob! I wish I could give you 1000 reps for that post. Baby Come On is my favorite too. It's just :runaround: I love +44. I'm glad Mark said that him and Travis wouldn't leave that band behind because of Blink getting back together :happy:

I LOVE Baby Come On. The lyrics are like something I could have written, I relate to them so well. I really hope they put out a new record soon, but I'm worried that Mark doesn't care about writing music anymore. 

LazyPhil

LazyPhil
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • Joined Sep 18, 2010
  • 508 rep

Lycanthrope, No It Isn't and When You Heart Stops Beating are my favorites  :D I wonder when they'll come back since Mark said on his show on fuse "I was in a band called, well still I'm in a band called +44"

Céadóg

Céadóg
  • Fucking say it

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,822 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 20,397 rep

Fucking excellent band.

• Cob and Ashleycase like this

Peyton Sawyer

Peyton Sawyer
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Joined Aug 06, 2012
  • 31 rep

I really like the album. I love Blink and I've always been supportive of their side projects and all. +44 is/was great.

• Cob and Ashleycase like this

Göta

Göta
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts
  • Joined Jan 05, 2011
  • 555 rep

Aw, this reminded me that I haven't listened to them in ages. I like the album and I used to love listening to it in the car. 155, Baby Come On and the title track are my faves. :happy:

• Cob likes this

FatVince

FatVince
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Joined Dec 22, 2012
  • 118 rep

It's been a long time since I listened to this record. Maybe I'll take a shot soon.

• Cob likes this

Ashleycase

Ashleycase
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Joined Nov 19, 2012
  • 397 rep

I prefer Tom's side project, Angels and Airwaves, but I still LOVE Plus44 :happy: it's a shame they didn't do it as big as AVA :ermm:

bjrules

bjrules
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts
  • Joined Feb 28, 2007
  • 304 rep
Easily my favourite Blink side project :) Absolutely adore their album, I sti listen to it all the time. The acoustic version of Baby Come On is wonderful. Also, Cliffdiving is incredibly underrated.
  • Cob likes this

Cob

Cob
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 3,018 posts
  • Joined Oct 05, 2012
  • 2,586 rep
Fucking excellent band.

C-Dawg! The Irish gentlemen with the (mostly) excellent music taste! 

Easily my favourite Blink side project :) Absolutely adore their album, I sti listen to it all the time. The acoustic version of Baby Come On is wonderful. Also, Cliffdiving is incredibly underrated.

Acoustic Baby Come On is ear sex. 

Céadóg

Céadóg
  • Fucking say it

• 17,822 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 20,397 rep
C-Dawg! The Irish gentlemen with the (mostly) excellent music taste! 

Damn straight.

:P

• Cob likes this

Advertising

Cob

Cob
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 3,018 posts
  • Joined Oct 05, 2012
  • 2,586 rep
I prefer Tom's side project, Angels and Airwaves, but I still LOVE Plus44 :happy: it's a shame they didn't do it as big as AVA :ermm:

I'm sort of into AVA but I much prefer +44. Although I never compare +44 to AVA, I always thought them more like Box Car Racer. The two projects are incredible similar. 

• Ashleycase likes this

Supa Hot Fire

Supa Hot Fire
  • Supa Hot

• 3,355 posts
  • Joined Sep 04, 2009
  • 2,505 rep

I love the record.Baby Come On and No it isn't are my favorite!

And I don't see +44 as a side project.I mean it's the band Mike and Travis made after Tom left.It has so much emotion and after all the shit that happened Mark's lyrics are so dark and beautiful.

And how can someone compare AvA to them?Please don't.+44 are awesome and they don't have the same songs in every record :P

I thought about making a thread about them and Boxcar Racer a while back but I didn't know so many people knew and liked those bands :happy:

• November's Storms likes this

Cob

Cob
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 3,018 posts
  • Joined Oct 05, 2012
  • 2,586 rep
I love the record.Baby Come On and No it isn't are my favorite!

And I don't see +44 as a side project.I mean it's the band Mike and Travis made after Tom left.It has so much emotion and after all the shit that happened Mark's lyrics are so dark and beautiful.

And how can someone compare AvA to them?Please don't.+44 are awesome and they don't have the same songs in every record :P

I thought about making a thread about them and Boxcar Racer a while back but I didn't know so many people knew and liked those bands :happy:

I'm probably going to make a Box Car Racer thread tonight. I have too many good things to say about those guys.

• *dry_ice* likes this

Supa Hot Fire

Supa Hot Fire
  • Supa Hot

• 3,355 posts
  • Joined Sep 04, 2009
  • 2,505 rep
I'm probably going to make a Box Car Racer thread tonight. I have too many good things to say about those guys.

Yeah I think I even like them more than +44 :)

Spoiler

• Cob likes this

Cob

Cob
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 3,018 posts
  • Joined Oct 05, 2012
  • 2,586 rep
Spoiler

I can't make you not do it, but just know that my feelings will be hurt.  :ermm: 

Trotsky

Trotsky
  • I sought my image in the scorching glass

• 29,582 posts
  • Joined Sep 23, 2006
  • 7,802 rep

One of the more enjoyable albums of 2006, I actually liked this little project a lot. I don't think any songs were mind blowing, but I think it's a well balanced album as a whole, probably 155 and Lillian are the best tracks and Lycanthrope, No It Isn't, and When Your Heart Stops Beating are also good. 

I listen to it from time to time. +44 isn't something I ever think of first in terms of great music but it was different and catchy and I think worth the same as a Blink album at the time would have been. 

November's Storms

November's Storms
  • Welcome to Paradise

• 10,710 posts
  • Joined Feb 09, 2010
  • 4,507 rep

Good band and I definitely enjoyed listening to the album when it came out. Unlike the Green Day side projects though this is basically the Blink sound with a couple of different members, nothing too radical.

Anyone got an idea of where they got their name? I always liked to think it was some sequel to Blink 182, like "yeah we're that band but +44" as in we're even better. This was 16 year old Stephen's logic!

• Cob likes this

kaylubd

kaylubd
  • Resident Shultz/Bellamy Enthusiast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,340 posts
  • Joined Feb 02, 2012
  • 2,484 rep

I recently sat down and listened to their album and it was really good. I kind of hope Mark does something with them in the future. And I definitely preferred them over AVA....that band got old really fast.

*dry_ice*

*dry_ice*
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Joined Dec 13, 2011
  • 74 rep

I've always known they got the name because of the uk phone numbers...

but maybe someone told me the wrong story XD

Anyway, I LOVE them, I think I love more Box Car Racer because they were one of the bands that saved my life around 10 years ago (wow such a long time!) and I will always thank and love Tom for writing that songs.

But I love also when your heart stops beating, I bought the album only one year ago... and I should have bought that before.

I think they don't continued as +44 because Mark cares a lot to Blink 182 and want to dedicates his time to the band, more than Tom cares, that's why he continues the AVA project....

InvaderPhantom

InvaderPhantom
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Joined May 14, 2011
  • 414 rep

God, I love +44 so much. I'm surprised there wasn't a thread for them already.

This was seriously the absolute heigth of Mark's songwriting. The lyrics are amazing and they mean a lot to me. Mark actually said himself that "Baby Come On" is the best song he could have ever written and I agree. It's one of my favorite songs of all time! Shame that it didn't become a blink-182 song so I could actually have the chance to hear it live.

When Your Heart Stops Beating is actually the closest album I could find to blink-182 self-titled album. It's kind of like the sequel to it... +44 is definitely way better than Angels & Airwaves and it's sad they only have one album. And I'm pretty sure it's the only +44 album we'll ever get because I think Mark would want his songs to be blink songs instead. Oh well. It's just a shame I'll never see them live. I can only pray for a reunion tour some day.

I love how the album is so dark and sad. I would actually classify it as an emo album. "I wake up at the end of a long dark lonely year, it's bringing out the worst in me" - "Let's slit our wrists and burn down something beautiful" - damn. Mark really was in a dark point when he wrote this album, probably because of blink's break-up. Mark can write such good lyrics, sadly no Mark song since the blink reunion had as good lyrics as the +44 songs.

"Baby Come On" is so amazing, I love how it romanticizes alcohol because alcohol can be very romantic. But in a sad way. I can relate to it so much. I knew a girl who got so emotional when she was drunk, it was sweet in a sad way. "Stop crying your heart out // The past is only the future with the lights on" - SO GOOD!

I also love the line in "When Your Heart Stops Beating": "She got caught by the four-on-the-floor, it picked her up and she'll never get let down" - How people use music to escape their problems and how music, unlike people, never lets you down.

Please Mark, I don't care if it's +44 or blink-182, just start writing songs like this again! Songs that are emo as fuck!!  :lol:

Trotsky

Trotsky
  • I sought my image in the scorching glass

• 29,582 posts
  • Joined Sep 23, 2006
  • 7,802 rep
Anyone got an idea of where they got their name? I always liked to think it was some sequel to Blink 182, like "yeah we're that band but +44" as in we're even better. This was 16 year old Stephen's logic!

UK's calling code. 

Cob

Cob
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 3,018 posts
  • Joined Oct 05, 2012
  • 2,586 rep
Good band and I definitely enjoyed listening to the album when it came out. Unlike the Green Day side projects though this is basically the Blink sound with a couple of different members, nothing too radical.

I believe it has something to do with phone extensions in the U.K., since that's where they came up with the idea for the project. 

Supa Hot Fire

Supa Hot Fire
  • Supa Hot

• 3,355 posts
  • Joined Sep 04, 2009
  • 2,505 rep

https://twitter.com/...294069126844418

Cob

Cob
  • Dominated Love Slave