Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Voting has started in the Karaoke Contest. Listen to the entries and vote for your favorite.

Photo

The Velvet Underground

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Radio Victim

Radio Victim
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Joined Oct 23, 2012
  • 245 rep

How does this topic not exist?!?! I'm actually new to them but I know they're one of the pioneers of punk rock and I've listened to The Velvet Underground & Nico and it's quite good! They're music is just too good to describe! Great band!

JIGD13

JIGD13
  • I Turned into a Martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,788 posts
  • Joined Jul 02, 2012
  • 2,602 rep

I love the first songs they made!

• Radio Victim likes this

Radio Victim

Radio Victim
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Joined Oct 23, 2012
  • 245 rep

so strange, but sooo good!

Eva

Eva
  • Rebel Without a Car

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,254 posts
  • Joined Jun 09, 2011
  • 4,743 rep

Have I ever mentioned what a great musical taste you have Radio? :P The Velvet Underground is great. I've never actually listened to their album with Nico (I saw a vinyl copy of it the other day. I would have gotten it if it hadn't been so damn expensive) but I have their self-titled that was made a while later. I really like them. From what I've heard, they got a little soft as their career went on so I guess the record I have is their more watered down sound. Either way, it's really good.

• Radio Victim likes this

Radio Victim

Radio Victim
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Joined Oct 23, 2012
  • 245 rep
Have I ever mentioned what a great musical taste you have Radio? :P The Velvet Underground is great. I've never actually listened to their album with Nico (I saw a vinyl copy of it the other day. I would have gotten it if it hadn't been so damn expensive) but I have their self-titled that was made a while later. I really like them. From what I've heard, they got a little soft as their career went on so I guess the record I have is their more watered down sound. Either way, it's really good.

yeah, i'm fascinated by the one with Nico. it kind of remindes me of later beatles songs, the drug-enduced ones. i think you can see in their first record that the VU is a bit of a stoner band but hey i think it makes the songs even better :D   i also love how it sold only some thousand copies when it first came out (because of how popular the beatles were i think) but it had such and influence on those who got the record. i think one of the members even said, "it may have only sold 30,000 copies but of those but of all those who got it, those people started a band!"

Eva

Eva
  • Rebel Without a Car

• 6,254 posts
  • Joined Jun 09, 2011
  • 4,743 rep
yeah, i'm fascinated by the one with Nico. it kind of remindes me of later beatles songs, the drug-enduced ones. i think you can see in their first record that the VU is a bit of a stoner band but hey i think it makes the songs even better :D   i also love how it sold only some thousand copies when it first came out (because of how popular the beatles were i think) but it had such and influence on those who got the record. i think one of the members even said, "it may have only sold 30,000 copies but of those but of all those who got it, those people started a band!"

Oh yeah, definitely. Their impact on other bands was huge. VU inspired a lot of Iggy and the Stooges' early work, which went on to spawn most of the American punk rock scene. VU are an amazing band. I think they definitely aren't given enough credit it today's modern scene. 

desertrose

desertrose
  • Best Thing In Town

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,460 posts
  • Joined Mar 11, 2011
  • 11,433 rep
The Velvet Underground to Reissue 'White Light/White Heat'

Forty-fifth anniversary set will include previously unreleased material

http://www.rollingst...e-heat-20131001

Westside Highway

Westside Highway
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Joined Feb 26, 2013
  • 43 rep

lou reed died :(

Sugaree

Sugaree
  • Jamaican Jerk Sauce

• 7,747 posts
  • Joined Mar 29, 2007
  • 1,772 rep

Sad to hear about Lou Reed.

WeAllFloatDownHere

WeAllFloatDownHere
  • Dearly Beloved

• 6,851 posts
  • Joined May 16, 2010
  • 3,782 rep
Rip Lou Reed other than that crappy Lulu crap Lou was a genious damn shame

bollard_11

bollard_11
  • Disposable Hero

• 9,187 posts
  • Joined Apr 17, 2009
  • 3,086 rep
Apparently he was some sort of legend, but I'll always know him as the grumpy old man speaking over spare Metallica riffs. Rip Lou Reed

desertrose

desertrose
  • Best Thing In Town

• 9,460 posts
  • Joined Mar 11, 2011
  • 11,433 rep
'The Velvet Underground' to Get 'Super Deluxe Reissue' for 45th Anniversary

http://www.rollingst...ersary-20141001

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users