Unpopular Green Day Opinions

Kayfabe

The issue I have with this is that the general attitude of the Trilogy seems forced. Previous albums all seem very organic, but the themes of a lot of the songs on the Trilogy, particularly Dos, seem to be kind of tryhard. It almost feels like they're saying "We're not all serious and boring and political like the last two albums suggested, wooooo sex and alcohol." If anything, it sounds like they're trying to be reckless "I don't give a shit" teenagers, as you put it, and it's because it's forced that it falls down. It needs to be believable, which is why the earlier albums are so believable and the Trilogy isn't.

I think i know what you mean. Even though i love the trilogy, i felt the same way you did when i first heard it, and even now. But yknow the way i thought of it, its like, when Billie Joe was writing the lyrics, he was just doing it, "kinda for myself really" as he said in Cuatro. So i think thats why it sort of sounds forced. Cause he wrote like 65 songs, and then he had to go through them all and choose the ones he liked best, and then sort of think of it in themes, so he just mashed up all the songs about alcohol and fucking and partying in one album and then the deep shit in the last album and left the first one with a messed up mix of everything in between. The trilogy wasn't supposed to have themes, it was just written like that, for fun and "to keep things going" (again as he said in Cuatro), then it was like, cause he has a buttload of songs, it was confusing to pick some songs and leave the others. Its sort of understandable if you think of it from their point of view. I think thats why it has the "forced" vibe to it.

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How does anyone not like the studio version of Letterbomb?? It's fucking incredible and is my favorite Green Day song which believe me is a tough spot to grab. I would love to hear it sung from a woman, Kathleen Hannah perhaps, but the musical version sucks. And no I haven't seen it in person but have listened to the soundtrack and I hated it. Someone said it reminds them of Kids Bop and I kind of agree but its worse than that.

Letterbomb to me is one of the greatest Green Day songs ever, it encapsulates the spirit of American Idiot and I think it just sounds so badass, especially live!

Letterbomb is easily one of the best songs they've ever done, but it was a massive disappointment live. I absolutely hated it.

Okay, that guy that sings in American Idiot Broadway, is not good for Billie, because his voice is way softer than Billie's. I mean it shouldn't be Billie, but hey, we need harder voice.

How does anyone not like the studio version of Letterbomb?? It's fucking incredible and is my favorite Green Day song which believe me is a tough spot to grab. I would love to hear it sung from a woman, Kathleen Hannah perhaps, but the musical version sucks. And no I haven't seen it in person but have listened to the soundtrack and I hated it. Someone said it reminds them of Kids Bop and I kind of agree but its worse than that.

I'd take Billie over any woman's voice :P I was sort of disappointed that Whatsername got to sing it. I know its sung from a woman's perspective, which adds to the story of the musical, but I love the strong male vocals on the CD.

Letterbomb is easily one of the best songs they've ever done, but it was a massive disappointment live. I absolutely hated it.

Its only bad live when they pause in the middle for 5 minutes. When it's played straightthough live it's great

Its only bad live when they pause in the middle for 5 minutes. When it's played straightthough live it's great

I've only seen it when they've paused it for a year in the middle :(

Ive recently come to apprieciate Whatshername, it is now one of my favourite songs.

Ive recently come to apprieciate Whatshername, it is now one of my favourite songs.

That's not at all unpopular. Whatsername is the single best looking-back song ever written with the possible exception of The Beatles' "In My Life". :wub:

That's not at all unpopular. Whatsername is the single best looking-back song ever written with the possible exception of The Beatles' "In My Life". :wub:

I know but a few weeks back I said it was overrated. I understand why now haha

It's weird but it seems alot of these unpopular opinions are actually popular opinions :mellow:

It's such a fantastic musical piece.

You had me until "The Beatles."

Personally, American Idiot and 21st CBD never has touched me or related to me like it has to so many others. I'm glad it's helped others through tough times but nothing on those albums did much for me. I didnt care for the way it's a story. I relate more to the 90s albums. And I liked the trilogy :lol: just my opinion. It's nice that green day has so many different style albums and songs because it reaches out to a wider variety of fans! I just never got really into AI.

What's wrong with the Beatles?

Don't get me started. Seriously. For now I'll leave it at a) they're the most overrated band ever and b) if it's to believed that they invented rock n roll as we know it, which they really didn't, it's an affront to every band who have ever existed since then to say they're still the best band ever. Apart from that, only two of their songs are actually any good.

Archived