Unpopular Green Day Opinions

Kayfabe

I don't think Carpe Diem gets enough appreciation :( I fucking love it. I think its one of the best off Uno!
Then I think See the Light is brilliant too and people don't seem to agree with that either..

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This.

I don't even think it is that overtly political as an album. There are a couple of songs, yeah, but the political side of it got ramped up by the media, the title and the label. American Idiot is about being a confused kid in a confusing world, written by a confused man who was a confused kid in a confusing world.

exactly !!

I don't think Carpe Diem gets enough appreciation :( I fucking love it. I think its one of the best off Uno!

Then I think See the Light is brilliant too and people don't seem to agree with that either..

I dislike Carpe Diem with a burning intensity, but I do like See The Light. I've never understood the hate that song got. It got so much play when I first got 21stCB.

i realise they are albums that have made the band who they are today but that doesn't mean i have to like them. same goes for the ramones or the sex pistols. they influenced green day but i really dislike their music. i'm not obligated to like anything that they've made just because it's their work.

And you're completely entitled to your opinion; note the quotation marks around 'anger'. I was

heckling you for fun partially because I disagree with you and partially because it's fun to say things like that to random people on the internet.

And you're completely entitled to your opinion; note the quotation marks around 'anger'. I was heckling you for fun partially because I disagree with you and partially because it's fun to sag things like that to random people on the internet.

ok

Brutal Love is absolutely horrendous song, it drags on for far too long and it barely lacks any substance. Could say that about the rest of the trilogy as well

ok

Worthwhile post

Kinda love how Maddy goes straight to the point :lol: She's like 'I think this so fuck you' :lol:

I would rank my fav Green Day albums as follows: 1. Uno, Tre 2. AI, 21st CB 3. Insomniac, Warning, Dos 4. Dookie 5. Nimrod 6. Kerplunk 7. 1,039 Smooth And I've been a fan since '95, so I'm not some newbie. I don't know if my album ranking is unpopular or not, but I guess I did this more to show that I think the music on Uno and Tre is fucking awesome compared to what they've done in the past :-)

well, that's fine, if you love Kill The DJ that's awesome, I don't dislike it, I just don't love it more than, well anything off Dookie, Insomniac, or Nimrod, so it's not the top of my list. I do feel like it's more similar to music on the radio these days, not identical, no, but more similar. I'm just saying, I wish it was more raw music, like Insomniac, a lot of people don't like that, but I love it. if you don't that's fine, not trying to go off on anyone lol. I just prefer the old, raw stuff.

and to the AI fans, JOS is a good song, and I like Homecoming since it has each song written by each band member, but just the people who obsess with it and 21st are just overwhelming, I don't hate those albums really, I just hate all the publicity they get. I just don't see it. again, if you guys don't feel that way, that's fine, we're not all suppose to agree, lol. I just feel like people are getting upset on here, I'm just showing my view. I could listen to nothing newer than Shenanigans, and not have my heart broken. I do like songs from the other albums, but I just.. don't connect as much, I guess after they got huge and was known by everyone for AI and 21st, I just felt like they were bandwagon people. and I've always liked their snot nose punk songs more than the soft ballads, I respect them though. Boulevard of Broken Dreams, is a relatable song, but I don't know what it is, I just think it's said that people just listen to those two albums, they don't know what they're missing.

, I just think it's sad that people just listen to those two albums, they don't know what they're missing.

99% of the active members on GDC do listen to more than those two, and for others that only listen to AI and 21CB, maybe 90's Green Day just isn't their cup of tea. There are a LOT of people who might have never listened to GD without AI. I'd rather have partial fans than significantly less fans.

I absolutely love the trilogy and Sex, Drugs and Violence is my favorite song from it. Brutal Love is also right up there - I think it's an amazing song.

There are only a couple of songs I think are pretty average, like Carpe Diem. I think Nightlife is alright (except I don't like the effects on Billie's voice) and Makeout Party if probably my least favorite song out of the 37 - I'm not a fan of the lyrics or music - but that's it. :)

Oh, and Worry Rock is one of my favorite Green Day songs ever.

I'd have never gotten into Green Day without American Idiot. You can shove your Dookies and Insomniacs and Kerplunks up your arse, that album changed my musical taste and my life forever. Green Day have a lot of great albums, but American Idiot is a life changer.

well, that's fine, if you love Kill The DJ that's awesome, I don't dislike it, I just don't love it more than, well anything off Dookie, Insomniac, or Nimrod, so it's not the top of my list. I do feel like it's more similar to music on the radio these days, not identical, no, but more similar. I'm just saying, I wish it was more raw music, like Insomniac, a lot of people don't like that, but I love it. if you don't that's fine, not trying to go off on anyone lol. I just prefer the old, raw stuff.

and to the AI fans, JOS is a good song, and I like Homecoming since it has each song written by each band member, but just the people who obsess with it and 21st are just overwhelming, I don't hate those albums really, I just hate all the publicity they get. I just don't see it. again, if you guys don't feel that way, that's fine, we're not all

suppose to agree, lol. I just feel like people are getting upset on here, I'm just showing my view. I could listen to nothing newer than Shenanigans, and not have my heart broken. I do like songs from the other albums, but I just..

don't connect as much, I guess after they got huge and was known by everyone for AI and 21st, I just felt like they were bandwagon people. and I've always liked their snot nose punk songs more than the soft ballads, I respect

them though. Boulevard of Broken Dreams, is a relatable song, but I don't know what it is, I just think it's said that people just listen to those two albums, they don't know what they're missing.

As the user above me said, 90% of 'young' green day fans have heard and enjoy the band's pre- American Idiot records. More importantly, I want to know why you think all us young uns jumped on the band wagon. Did it ever occur to you that in the mid to late nineties, when I presume you got into Green Day, hundreds of Gilman street punkers thought YOU were jumping on the band wagon? C'mon dude, this kind of disgust towards mainstream popularity is the reason why the music industry is going to hell: genuine bands are too afraid to get exposure, and let Simon Cowell and his fucking puppets take over our radio stations.

99% of the active members on GDC do listen to more than those two, and for others that only listen to AI and 21CB, maybe 90's Green Day just isn't their cup of tea. There are a LOT of people who might have never listened to GD without AI. I'd rather have partial fans than significantly less fans.

well, yeah? lol I'm not trying to argue with all the people on here, I'm just stating, I've seen people who said they were the biggest fan of Green Day, but just have AI, I'm not dissing you all, lol. AI was one of the last album I've gotten of Green Day's. I'm not sure what you mean by significantly less fans, but all I'm saying is, you should listen to all of a band, before you can be a true fan. and I prefer the 90s Green Day, that is all. lol

I'd have never gotten into Green Day without American Idiot. You can shove your Dookies and Insomniacs and Kerplunks up your arse, that album changed my musical taste and my life forever. Green Day have a lot of great albums, but American Idiot is a life changer.

AND THAT IS AWESOME! I think that is great that it changed your life, I'm just saying that It didn't for me, THAT'S IT. I'm not arguing, I'm just saying the 90's music changed MY LIFE so keep AI dude, and try to see we're on the same side, we both have been changed by Green Day, just because I'm not obsessed with AI, doesn't mean you have to constantly say how that album is the ONLY album to change lives, because that's not always the case. I just said my opinion and everyone assumes I'm hating on all of the people of GDC, I'm not! I just said what I prefer in Green Day.

Murder City is a fucking incredible song.

Horseshoes and Handgrenades is one of my favourite Green Day songs. "Maybe you're the runner up, but the first one to lose the race" is one of the most underrated lyrics Billie has written.

well, yeah? lol I'm not trying to argue with all the people on here, I'm just stating, I've seen people who said they were the biggest fan of Green Day, but just have AI, I'm not dissing you all, lol. AI was one of the last album I've gotten of Green Day's. I'm not sure what you mean by significantly less fans, but all I'm saying is, you should listen to all of a band, before you can be a true fan. and I prefer the 90s Green Day, that is all. lol

When did you get into Green Day?

Why does people liking only AI bother you? You may not feel its their best album but why should everyone have to take the same view. I'd much rather someone just listen to AI than not listen to Green Day at all, and there's not reason why they should be discriminated against by fellow fans.

Why does people liking only AI bother you? You may not feel its their best album but why should everyone have to take the same view. I'd much rather someone just listen to AI than not listen to Green Day at all, and there's not reason why they should be discriminated against by fellow fans.

I'm just saying I think they might like other albums, that's all, not hating the people on here, I'm just saying I think it's hard to say you're a hard core fan, when you haven't listened to anything else, that's just my opinion! I have the album too, it's not like I think you should burn your copies of it, because you should have it, I just don't think you should JUST have it, and call yourself their 'biggest fan'.. but if you don't agree that's fine,

I'm just saying I think they might like other albums, that's all, not hating the people on here, I'm just saying I think it's hard to say you're a hard core fan, when you haven't listened to anything else, that's just my opinion! I have the album too, it's not like I think you should burn your copies of it, because you should have it, I just don't think you should JUST have it, and call yourself their 'biggest fan'.. but if you don't agree that's fine,

Well I've never seen anyone say that they are the biggest fan, regardless of how many albums they like.

I love the publicity that American Idiot got, and how much everything was played on the radio, and how many new fans the album brought into the "Green Day community" (including myself). The impact it had on the music industry and the media makes the album's (albeit minor) political statement feel all the more poignant, plus, I get a nice feeling of satisfaction knowing that they blew a the rest of the rock scene out of the water by ripping the mainstream to shreds with it. It has been nearly ten years and kids are STILL wearing black shirts with a red tie, writing songs about hating the government as if they're die hard political activists. If you ask someone about Green Day, you can guarantee that the first song to pop into their heads will be either American Idiot, Holiday, or Boulevard of Broken Dreams. The sheer cultural impact of that album is bloody incredible, and it makes me cringe to hear anyone say that one of the reasons they dislike it is because of the publicity. Get over yourselves, tbh.

I never said I disliked Green Day, for one, and I said I didn't like how only AI got publicity. I feel there are better albums, all the 90's albums have inspired me to write music, and where my Green Day Dookie shirt, and want to have fun. I'm just not a political person, so I didn't get into the album, that's just me though! I think it's cool it inspires people, I really do. I'm just saying the old stuff inspired me, is that wrong??! you all are acting like I have to worship AI, so please understand, I'm just saying my opinion, If you like/love AI, THAT'S FANTASTIC! it really is! but don't try to force AI down my throat. it's not my thing, sorry I'm different.

This isn't an opinion, but I just remembered this. American Idiot WAS NOT the album that got me into GD. I remember when I was a kid back in like 2000, I saw the Waiting music video on MTV, and I loved that song ever since. I begged my parents to buy me the Warning album. So yeah, Warning got me into GD. I still have that same CD as well. :happy:

how can you not relate to american idiot ?? i said god damn. yes it's politically loaded but that doesn't detract from how much jesus of suburbia is basically every insecure teenager's anthem of not understanding yourself and nobody caring enough and boulevard of broken dreams, it's such a huge hit because it's a great song and if you disagree i will fight you, is literally everything you ever feel when you're lonely and GOD I DON'T KNOW i could write an 80k word essay on how american idiot had such an effect on my life. it's a killer album and if i could listen to one album for the rest of my life it would probably be that one.

I'm not kidding when I say that American Idiot saved my life.

This.

I don't even think it is that overtly political as an album. There are a couple of songs, yeah, but the political side of it got ramped up by the media, the title and the label. American Idiot is about being a confused kid in a confusing world, written by a confused man who was a confused kid in a confusing world.

If people think American Idiot is overly political they need to listen to punk rock.

American Idiot was extremely political compared to things Green Day had done in the past before then. However, compared to albums by other bands, especially bands Green Day idolized growing up, it's not very political at all.

Was adding to the conversation about publicity since it is quite an unpopular opinion to enjoy how much American Idiot was played and so on, wasn't specifically directed to you.

Well, then I apologize, I do think it's awesome they get publicity, I just miss their old style, but if what they're doing now is what they want to do, then cool lol. I know they like to change styles in each album, but some styles I don't like as much lol

American Idiot may have introduced me to Green Day but it's Dookie that changed my life. No album will ever do that for me again.

If people think American Idiot is overly political they need to listen to punk rock.

American Idiot was extremely political compared to things Green Day had done in the past before then. However, compared to albums by other bands, especially bands Green Day idolized growing up, it's not very political at all.

No, and good job too. Green Day don't do good political music, by and large. They peaked at Minority and Macy's Day Parade - which is more of a social commentary. Billie doesn't know how to write put over a political message without it being a bit muddled and not all that convincing. I don't doubt those guys were sincere in their political values, but they've known since Dookie made them millionaires that they can't convincingly play the part of speaking on behalf of punks. Fuck, they've called shit on the punk scene since 1993. They know it's balls.

I think it is appropriate for this thread to say I think Green Day are a shit political band, but one of the best bands that write about love, emotional turmoil and personal struggles that there has ever been.

Archived