Unpopular Green Day Opinions

Kayfabe

Why oh why does everyone hate Oh Love?!

I don't hate the song, it's not my favorite. As for the video, that's what I hate.

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like oh love a lot, although live it kinda sucks. Although saying that the Red 7 version is the best version of it ever

i hate the solo, but thats cause i cant play that middle part..

Oh Love is a solid song, especially once it gets going. Love the "heart on a noose" part. The hate I'd guess would stem from the mid-tempo- AOR vibe it gives off.

Oh Love is a solid song, especially once it gets going. Love the "heart on a noose" part. The hate I'd guess would stem from the mid-tempo- AOR vibe it gives off.

See, that's the only part I *don't* like—it doesn't make much sense. The rest is great, though. I still remember first hearing it and being baffled at the Internet hate—then again, that's when my love of The Who was at its absolute peak, and it sounds a lot like them in places.

See, that's the only part I *don't* like—it doesn't make much sense. The rest is great, though. I still remember first hearing it and being baffled at the Internet hate—then again, that's when my love of The Who was at its absolute peak, and it sounds a lot like them in places.

I haven't even read the lyrics as a whole to check for context, but as a stand a lone line it isn't bad. I like it for the vocal really, not the lyric, though.

I think Oh Love gets hated on just cause it was the first song heard and it shouldn't have been...

Well we'll probably never know either way. But if the C&V masters really were stolen, Shoplifter would have gone too if it was part of those sessions, wouldn't it?

Yeaaaaaaah, BUT for some strange reason we have heard songs like: Too much too soon (Confirmed as a song from C&V sessions in an interview) and Cigarettes & Valentines... Hence, I remember Mike said (I think) they had some kind of "back up" tapes of the album (I mean, the tracks of the songs, separately I guess) but, they just decided not to use them.

When its Time was written when Billie was 19 for 80.

Yep, but recorded in AI sessions.

Oh Love gets so much stick partly because it's a terrible single. It's one of those songs that's really not very good in isolation. It takes far too long to get going, doesn't really have any energy apart from the solo, and the video is awful. In the context of the album it works really well though, and seems like a much better song. But it's not worth listening to Uno all the way through just for the sake of making an average song sound a bit better.

Yeaaaaaaah, BUT for some strange reason we have heard songs like: Too much too soon (Confirmed as a song from C&V sessions in an interview) and Cigarettes & Valentines... Hence, I remember Mike said (I think) they had some kind of "back up" tapes of the album (I mean, the tracks of the songs, separately I guess) but, they just decided not to use them.

Yep, but recorded in AI sessions.

Moke also claims they never mixed nor mastered or even did a rough mix of the songs so the volumes would be all over the place but I dont buy the tapes were stolen story lol

Moke also claims they never mixed nor mastered or even did a rough mix of the songs so the volumes would be all over the place but I dont buy the tapes were stolen story lol

Me too, I have just spoken about what the band have said about those tapes. In my opinion, C&V is just The Network's record. There are some weird contradictions about what happened to those tapes.

Just a guess: We have known that in C&V sessions the band had around 20 songs. So....

The Network Record has 13 songs plus a Misfits cover, so there 14 songs. Then add Too much too soon and Cigarettes & Valentines, Shoplifter and Walk away (Which is not really clear, it's a rumour or whatever). As a conclusion we have 18 songs, so could be really plausible those songs are the vast part of the "missing songs" from C&V sessions.

The most probable thing is.... we'll never know it. We could discuss the facts, the dates, the similarities in sound with certain demos, etc, etc.eternally without having an official or absolute truth.

Me too, I have just spoken about what the band have said about those tapes. In my opinion, C&V is just The Network's record. There are some weird contradictions about what happened to those tapes.

Just a guess: We have known that in C&V sessions the band had around 20 songs. So....

The Network Record has 13 songs plus a Misfits cover, so there 14 songs. Then add Too much too soon and Cigarettes & Valentines, Shoplifter and Walk away (Which is not really clear, it's a rumour or whatever). As a conclusion we have 18 songs, so could be really plausible those songs are the vast part of the "missing songs" from C&V sessions.

The most probable thing is.... we'll never know it. We could discuss the facts, the dates, the similarities in sound with certain demos, etc, etc.eternally without having an official or absolute truth.

I actually don't think the Network's album is related to C&V. At least I hope not. My god that would have changed things wouldn't it have?

Oh Love gets so much stick partly because it's a terrible single. It's one of those songs that's really not very good in isolation. It takes far too long to get going, doesn't really have any energy apart from the solo, and the video is awful. In the context of the album it works really well though, and seems like a much better song. But it's not worth listening to Uno all the way through just for the sake of making an average song sound a bit better.

Why? Coz it's as crap as the songs around it?! :P

The only saving grace for it for me is the last line, which sets up Dos quite nicely, but other than that, it's a boring song.

There are elements to Nightlife that are awesome. The song as a whole falls flat, but parts of it are good.

I thought you had to think Nightlife was awesome, since it's in your username and all.

Because it's a boring song! It's nice and catchy enough to listen to, and in the context of the album it makes more sense than standalone, but it just doesn't stand out at all anywhere. Not as a single, not on the radio.

I think Oh Love gets hated on just cause it was the first song heard and it shouldn't have been...

I think that would actually gain it more praise. The same thing happened with Know Your Enemy, was also the first song heard and the majority of people were over the moon about it, whereas when the album came out it... I don't know, like the opposite of a song growing on you. The song would un-grow on you because same with Oh Love, it's boring.

Oh love will always be special to me though. I just remember seeing that link to the YouTube lyric video for the first time, I listened to it about 20 times on repeat. Ahhh good times

Not sure if unpopular but the Kill The DJ performance at the Echoplex was so good that it got us all exited for the studio version, which was nothing like the live one

that sucks. besides a studio version of Cigarettes and Valentines wouldnt hurt, listening to awesome as fuck is gonna get old soon enough.

Dunno. I really like it too. Not for the lyrics, that are not very solid to me, I mean Billie Joe had written better songs, but the melody is catchy, it's nice.

I just remember seeing that link to the YouTube lyric video for the first time, I listened to it about 20 times on repeat. Ahhh good times

Oh yeeees !! The beginning of the trilogy, when everybody was fucking excited. How I miss these times, and it was only 1 1/2 year ago...

Why? Coz it's as crap as the songs around it?! :P

The only saving grace for it for me is the last line, which sets up Dos quite nicely, but other than that, it's a boring song.

Maybe it's because the six songs before it sound exactly the same. It's a refreshing change!

Maybe it's because the six songs before it sound exactly the same. It's a refreshing change!

um no.

I had never seen the echoplex videos before now, and wow I can see why people were excited for the trilogy. Kill The DJ in particular sounded incredible. Billie's voice was good too. They should have just done live albums, then they could have had some great records.

I guess that's the problem with seeing live versions before hearing the album version. Live versions always sound better, so you're just setting yourself up for disappointment.

I steered clear of the live shows from 2011 coz I wanted to hear the songs properly on the album for the first time - but maybe that's why I don't like the Trilogy so much :lol:

I guess that's the problem with seeing live versions before hearing the album version. Live versions always sound better, so you're just setting yourself up for disappointment.

Not to mention title changes! Pffff that makes things confusing once the album comes out. Desperate, March of the Dogs, Last Gang in Town, uhhhh I can't remember any others but they were definitely there.

Not to mention title changes! Pffff that makes things confusing once the album comes out. Desperate, March of the Dogs, Last Gang in Town, uhhhh I can't remember any others but they were definitely there.

Legitimately still annoyed that EJN is named after a line in a teen movie instead of having that cool name.

Years ago I remember reading on Wikipedia that Waiting was originally called Wwwaiting and the only reason it isn't is because it apparently wouldn't fit on the back cover of Warning. Pretty much 100% certain that isn't true but I like the idea anyway :lol:

Legitimately still annoyed that EJN is named after a line in a teen movie instead of having that cool name.

tbf it probably wasn't named ejn because of juno haha. i'm pretty sure it's a common saying

Archived