Unpopular Green Day Opinions

Kayfabe

Love the Kill The DJ lyrics! Proper social commentary going on with lyrics like "Your thoughts are so unholy in the holiest of holes, onward Christian soldiers filled with jive and mind control", along with hilarious phrases like "holiest of holes" and "killing you to death". I love the message about wanting to stop hearing all the bullshit and the tongue in cheek humour, and the catchy and repetitive chorus that both reflects the feeling of hearing something go on and on and wanting to shut it up brought up in the song, and fits with the funky dance style of the song. Probably my second favourite song on Uno Dos Tre, it's fabulous.

You legitimately consider those phrases "hilarious?" Because of their intent or because they're hilariously pathetic lyrics?

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why not??? After they recorded that song they started the AI process, so for me Shoplifter belongs to C&V sessions. If the guys decided (LATER) to release it as a AI B-side, well that's another story.

You know bands can have recording sessions between albums, right? I don't know either way whether it was part of C&V or not, but it not being from the AI sessions doesn't automatically mean it's a C&V song.

You legitimately consider those phrases "hilarious?" Because of their intent or because they're hilariously pathetic lyrics?

Some of the lines are awesome! I mean, seriously. "Onward Christian soldiers filled with jive and mind control," is like something straight off Ziggy Stardust. The chorus does murder the song, but the verses are fantastic.

Some of the lines are awesome! I mean, seriously. "Onward Christian soldiers filled with jive and mind control," is like something straight off Ziggy Stardust. The chorus does murder the song, but the verses are fantastic.

I agree that line is good, but "holiest of holes" and "killing you to death" are what she called hilarious, and I'm sorry, those are just bad. :lol:

I agree that line is good, but "holiest of holes" and "killing you to death" are what she called hilarious, and I'm sorry, those are just bad. :lol:

Well those lines are a bit silly, and I don't quite know the reason but I'm sure there is one. Billie must have some warped sense of humour, I doubt it's down to him being stupid :P

I wouldn't call them bad lines…..just not funny. Fucking British humor :D

But really "killing you to death" is a line that uses classic BJA writing style. Obvious contradictions or plays on words.

I wouldn't call them bad lines…..just not funny. Fucking British humor :D

But really "killing you to death" is a line that uses classic BJA writing style. Obvious contradictions or plays on words.

:o What has British humour got to do with anything?

Well those lines are a bit silly, and I don't quite know the reason but I'm sure there is one. Billie must have some warped sense of humour, I doubt it's down to him being stupid :P

Maybe he was just drugged up when he was writing his lyrics that day. :P

Too much too soon?

:ninja:

Maybe he was just drugged up when he was writing his lyrics that day. :P

Too much too soon?

:ninja:

He was drugged up when he wrote Too Much Too Soon? :ga:

To whomever asked for the source of Too Much Too Soon being part of C&V: It was this interview, but unfortunately you can't listen to it anymore :( Can't find a thread on it either.

http://www.greendayauthority.com/news/338/

Why not??? After they recorded that song they started the AI process, so for me Shoplifter belongs to C&V sessions. If the guys decided (LATER) to release it as a AI B-side, well that's another story.

But that's just a weird assumption. So many songs are written way before the album they ended up on (or in this case, ended next to as a b-side) was written, but that doesn't mean that those songs are suddenly part of the sessions for the album that was written at that time. Just because a song was written before AI, doesn't mean that it was ever intended to be part of C&V and not just *a* song they wrote at that time.

You know bands can have recording sessions between albums, right? I don't know either way whether it was part of C&V or not, but it not being from the AI sessions doesn't automatically mean it's a C&V song.

We don't have a precise schedule since what time C&V sessions started and when they finished. As far as I know according to Wikipedia (Not the best source, though) those sessions finished at summer of 2003. The band was ready to the recording process and the master tapes were "stolen". Then, the band spent 3 months to write new songs which would be part of AI. So, Shoplifter could be recorded on C&V sessions, in a random session or (less probable for me) in AI sessions.

I think the only way to know who is right about this "Shoplifter" thing is asking to the band on instagram or also in those interviews from idiot nation.

Daughter.of.Rage.and.Love: It's not the same write the songs to record the songs and keep them unreleased for future records. If I apply your statement or logic, a song like Drama Queen would be "originally" part from trilogy sessions, and that's not true because that song was part of 21stCB sessions, that song was part of the tracklist but at the end it was replaced by Murder city. When it's time was recorded on AI sessions but it was written years before, however it was released in 2010 (So with this song I assume is an AI outtake).

They're deliberately silly, tongue in cheek! I like tongue in cheek humour. Love the cheeky blasphemy of "holiest of holes" too. Maybe hilarious was a bit of a strong word to use, but amusing certainly. And amusing that they'd include silly word play like that to make a somewhat serious point. The contrast of those two things makes the song more interesting the same way having the quite serious message of the song set to such funky, catchy music does.

Wouldn't say it's anything to do with British humour though :lol:

I think I got my lyric interpretations wrong....

I thought "holiest of holes" meant like a dive bar or "hole in the wall" that used to be a landmark .....a place for awesome rock or punk... Like CBGBs or something...... that has been taken over by club kids (and the dreaded dj) ....and like Sodom and Gommorah.... Is now a place of what he feels is sin.

Whattya think? Am I reading too much into this?

Hi there.

Ello Ello Ello!

Is that Amy Pond? My brother's a massive Doctor Who fan :-)

I think I got my lyric interpretations wrong....

I thought "holiest of holes" meant like a dive bar or "hole in the wall" that used to be a landmark .....a place for awesome rock or punk... Like CBGBs or something...... that has been taken over by club kids (and the dreaded dj) ....and like Sodom and Gommorah.... Is now a place of what he feels is sin.

Whattya think? Am I reading too much into this?

I think you're spot on!

Does anyone have the source where it says Too Much Too Soon was for Cigarettes and Valentines? Cause I really like that song

there was an interview where they were asked about how the bsides fit into the story and billie said favorite son was the only one meant to be part of it butshoplifter and too much too soon were written before

Im trying to remebrt which video it is

They're deliberately silly, tongue in cheek! I like tongue in cheek humour. Love the cheeky blasphemy of "holiest of holes" too. Maybe hilarious was a bit of a strong word to use, but amusing certainly. And amusing that they'd include silly word play like that to make a somewhat serious point. The contrast of those two things makes the song more interesting the same way having the quite serious message of the song set to such funky, catchy music does.

Wouldn't say it's anything to do with British humour though :lol:

You'll say anything to get us to support the trilogy as a work of art, won't you? ;)

Daughter.of.Rage.and.Love: It's not the same write the songs to record the songs and keep them unreleased for future records. If I apply your statement or logic, a song like Drama Queen would be "originally" part from trilogy sessions, and that's not true because that song was part of 21stCB sessions, that song was part of the tracklist but at the end it was replaced by Murder city. When it's time was recorded on AI sessions but it was written years before, however it was released in 2010 (So with this song I assume is an AI outtake).

No no no, that's not what I'm saying. Just that if a song was written before AI, it doesn't mean it's part of the C&V sessions. Songs aren't always part of album sessions, sometimes they're just written in between. Sometimes we don't know when or "for what album" they were written, like with Shoplifter. Just because it was written and recorded before AI, does not mean at all it was from the C&V sessions.

With a song like Drama Queen we know when it was written and what it was intended for (because it was part of the album until it got scratched), so we can say it was from 21stCB sessions. With When It's Time, we know it was part of the AI sessions because it appeared in HLAHG. With Shoplifter, we don't know any of that, and you can't just pull "it's from C&V" out of the air. Well, of course you can, but it's not very wise or credible :P

You'll say anything to get us to support the trilogy as a work of art, won't you? ;)

Because it is. :P

Nope! Just saying why I like it :)

Because it is. :P

But also this :D

We don't have a precise schedule since what time C&V sessions started and when they finished. As far as I know according to Wikipedia (Not the best source, though) those sessions finished at summer of 2003. The band was ready to the recording process and the master tapes were "stolen". Then, the band spent 3 months to write new songs which would be part of AI. So, Shoplifter could be recorded on C&V sessions, in a random session or (less probable for me) in AI sessions.

Well we'll probably never know either way. But if the C&V masters really were stolen, Shoplifter would have gone too if it was part of those sessions, wouldn't it?

Well we'll probably never know either way. But if the C&V masters really were stolen, Shoplifter would have gone too if it was part of those sessions, wouldn't it?

They weren't stolen. I'd be willing to bet that we've heard 90% of that album by now.

Archived