Unpopular Green Day Opinions

Kayfabe

How could anyone choose anything other than American Idiot as the first single for American Idiot?

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Longview. . .is the worst song on the album.

I still am unable to fathom how you can say that every time I see you say that.

Btw, Longview is one of Green Day's most complete songs and hardly the worst on Dookie.

What do you mean by that, exactly?

what would you have chosen for the lead single off AI then?

Holiday. But fair enough - the title track to a new album is a fair single to lead off said album (though I'm glad they didn't kick off Warning the same way).

In my opinion: BOBD > AI (and charted higher anyway), 21 Guns > KYE (and charted higher anyway), and KTDJ (along with every other track) > Oh Love.

Dos and Tre... eh... I don't really count. I know they had official singles, but did they even really bother at that point? I love Stray Heart and X-Kid, but that whole rehab thing just kinda made everything moot from a single promotion point of view. (Case in point: the X-Kid video.)

It says it on the C&V Wikipedia page but there's no citation.

Thank you.

So no matter what the hype is about any release they do, I already know what to expect: It'll be direct, punchy, catchy, charmingly simple, and infectious as hell. It's Green Day. :)

What else matters?

This may or may not be an unpopular opinion: I don't think the guys have led off an album with it's best single since Warning.

It always kinda scares me each time because I get that feeling of "Wait, this is as good as the album is gonna get?" (21CB + Uno especially)... and then I have to just relax and trust the rest of it will be better.

No other song on AI would have been a better lead single. I think that was an obvious and best choice. And it is kinda the weakest song on the album but still the best way to introduce it to the world. The only one I'd change is Warning to Church on Sunday or Waiting but it was still a good (and obvious) choice. And of course KYE to something else, maybe Viva La Gloria! and Oh Love to Rusty James. And if Kerplunk! had hit big I'd pick 80 or One Of My Lies. I kinda wish they had re-recorded 80 for Dookie instead of Welcome To Paradise. Unpopular?

I kinda wish they had re-recorded 80 for Dookie instead of Welcome To Paradise. Unpopular?

I'd second that. In fact, I'd love to hear 80, Private Ale, and One of My Lies recorded by the guys today.

Here's another: I've never been able to accept the !UDT! installments as standalone albums (#s 9, 10, 11). To me, the entire trilogy is album #9 that was released in three parts, like Lord of the Rings. Unpopular?

Ah. I always take that stuff with a grain of salt -- the boys always talk in vague teenage terms when describing the music.

I mean... what is anyone supposed to make of this?

Ugh, I totally forgot those video updates existed. I used to get so fucking excited for those, and what was coming, and in hindsight it was all blown out of proportion so much I can't even laugh about it because it's so tragic. :cry:

Has anyone re-watched them since the trilogy's release? Is it comical or awful? Or both?

1. I don't get why people say Minority is average. It's one of their best.

2. Kill The DJ is awful, but don't blame that on "expirementing" because they expiremented on Warning and Misery in particular is great.

Clearly says shoplifter was recorded BEFORE American Idiot Sessions.

But that doesn't mean it was part of or intended to be on C&V. Just that it waa recorded before AI.

Does anyone have the source where it says Too Much Too Soon was for Cigarettes and Valentines? Cause I really like that song

They said that on some radio interview, around 2010 I believe. I'd search it if I weren't on mobile.

Love the Kill The DJ lyrics! Proper social commentary going on with lyrics like "Your thoughts are so unholy in the holiest of holes, onward Christian soldiers filled with jive and mind control", along with hilarious phrases like "holiest of holes" and "killing you to death". I love the message about wanting to stop hearing all the bullshit and the tongue in cheek humour, and the catchy and repetitive chorus that both reflects the feeling of hearing something go on and on and wanting to shut it up brought up in the song, and fits with the funky dance style of the song. Probably my second favourite song on Uno Dos Tre, it's fabulous.

Awful without interactions?

Ummm, did somebody forget their music, perchance?

Wouldn't be a Green Day show if it was just the music though. It's their style to put on a great show and have loads of fun with the audience, not just play the songs. If someone wants that they should just listen to a CD or go and see another (more boring) band!

Does anyone have the source where it says Too Much Too Soon was for Cigarettes and Valentines? Cause I really like that song

I don't have the source either but like Sanne says above Billie did definitely say that in an interview. It created a bit of a buzz on here at the time.

Whaaaaat. OK, then I guess here is an unpopular opinion: I love the Kill the DJ lyrics, chorus and all. The "We are the vultures, the dirtiest kind / A culture war tween your heart and your mind" part is tattoo-worthy in my book... and I appreciate the simplistic "Someone kill the DJ / Shoot the fuckin DJ" part for what it is: a perfect sound-off back-and-forth chant between the singer and the audience. :)

I'm kinda bummed not to hear this song more often live. It's a blast to play, especially during the solo. Shame -- it deserved a better music video.

I thoroughly agree!

Ugh, I totally forgot those video updates existed. I used to get so fucking excited for those, and what was coming, and in hindsight it was all blown out of proportion so much I can't even laugh about it because it's so tragic. :cry:

Has anyone re-watched them since the trilogy's release? Is it comical or awful? Or both?

Yeah, looking back it does seem like they're a starting band trying to make their music sound cool and epic.

I'd actually like the Stray Heart video if the band had been in it. Instead it feels like a fan made video or something. And I like the part of the Kill The DJ video when they're walking around the club and Billie has his signature bored/sarcastic look. The Oh Love video will forever be awful but the girls are hotter than any other music videos out now and days. Especially the one with the purple hair.

I think that's probably quite popular. I'd go so far as to say they've never released a particularly good first single. Longview isn't particularly representative of Dookie and is the worst song on the album, Geek Stink Breath is average, Hitchin' A Ride was actually pretty good and Minority was passable, but yeah... American Idiot, Know Your Enemy and Oh Love were very poor choices. And does anyone even remember Stray Heart or X Kid, however great the latter is? :P

Uhhh come on now American Idiot was THE single greatest decision they've ever made regarding singles. Think about it this way: It's 2004 and for the mainstream public, the last time they heard Green Day was probably the freaking Seinfeld finale. If they even know who Good Riddance is by, then perhaps they still remember the 3 idiots who started a mud fight at Woodstock. But that was ages ago. Now, all of a sudden, you hear American Idiot on the radio. Everyone was shocked to hear that Green Day was even still a thing, and now they've created this radio hit/political rally cry. The song makes a statement. The title alone catches your attention. The lyrics are easy to sing along to (for a GD song) and they tapped in to a feeling that MANY Americans held at the time.

Comments by the band lead one to believe they thought they had something special with AI (album), so they knew they needed to make a statement to the public. They did so in a big way.

Uhhh come on now American Idiot was THE single greatest decision they've ever made regarding singles. Think about it this way: It's 2004 and for the mainstream public, the last time they heard Green Day was probably the freaking Seinfeld finale. If they even know who Good Riddance is by, then perhaps they still remember the 3 idiots who started a mud fight at Woodstock. But that was ages ago. Now, all of a sudden, you hear American Idiot on the radio. Everyone was shocked to hear that Green Day was even still a thing, and now they've created this radio hit/political rally cry. The song makes a statement. The title alone catches your attention. The lyrics are easy to sing along to (for a GD song) and they tapped in to a feeling that MANY Americans held at the time.

Comments by the band lead one to believe they thought they had something special with AI (album), so they knew they needed to make a statement to the public. They did so in a big way.

Despite Warnings low sales Minoroty charted higher than Good Riddance charted...

Despite Warnings low sales Minoroty charted higher than Good Riddance charted...

wow haha that surprises me but Good Riddance still seemed to garner more mainstream attention no?

wow haha that surprises me but Good Riddance still seemed to garner more mainstream attention no?

Oh yeah the Seinfield episode was a big kick

But Minority did get alot of airplay for a few months so it wasnt as if mainstream didnt hear from em since 98

Well like I said (or backtracked, if you will), I guess it was a good choice of single in terms of having an impact, but it's one of the weaker songs on the album. That's not even to say it's not a good song, it's just on such a strong album, obviously.

That's true, but Good Riddance has had far more consistent airplay since it came out and is more well known in general.

Oh yeah the Seinfield episode was a big kick

But Minority did get alot of airplay for a few months so it wasnt as if mainstream didnt hear from em since 98

I suppose, but this is also 4 years after Warning anyway. By this time Minority was phased out of rotation, Good Riddance was the only GD song you'd really hear. But I see your point

Well like I said (or backtracked, if you will), I guess it was a good choice of single in terms of having an impact, but it's one of the weaker songs on the album. That's not even to say it's not a good song, it's just on such a strong album, obviously.

Well a single is in isolation, so that's how I view the song. When viewed in isolation, American Idiot (song) is fantastic. It makes people want to buy the rest of the album.

I'd actually like the Stray Heart video if the band had been in it. Instead it feels like a fan made video or something. And I like the part of the Kill The DJ video when they're walking around the club and Billie has his signature bored/sarcastic look. The Oh Love video will forever be awful but the girls are hotter than any other music videos out now and days. Especially the one with the purple hair.

If only Nuclear Family's music video was official... the fact that it's fan made puts the other videos to shame (it's great in its own right regardless)

Well a single is in isolation, so that's how I view the song. When viewed in isolation, American Idiot (song) is fantastic. It makes people want to buy the rest of the album.

Yeah, fair point. I do like the fact that people (me included) will have bought the album based on the single and have been amazed by it. Know Your Enemy didn't achieve that as a single because it was so markedly inferior to most of Breakdown, so it wouldn't surprise me if that had put people off buying the album.

If only Nuclear Family's music video was official... the fact that it's fan made puts the other videos to shame (it's great in its own right regardless)

Eh, considering the band's official YouTube account has it on their music videos playlist, that seems official enough for me.

That animator dude is awesome, btw -- got to collab with him on a music vid I did.

Am i the only one that cant stand it when billie screams this all the time

Idk why but it bothers me. Also why do they almost always gave play knowledge ? And i get annoyed by the constant break downs or qhatever you wanna call it that always do during songs like paper lanterns hitchin a ride or minority or others. It gets boring qfter awhile listening to yelling o the audience for six mins in my opinion.just tryin make a conversation is all.

That's how he interacts with the crowd.

But that doesn't mean it was part of or intended to be on C&V. Just that it waa recorded before AI.

Why not??? After they recorded that song they started the AI process, so for me Shoplifter belongs to C&V sessions. If the guys decided (LATER) to release it as a AI B-side, well that's another story.

Archived