Unpopular Green Day Opinions

Kayfabe

Minute dude: Would Green Day shows be the same without let's go crazy and hey hos ?

It would be so amazing for me to go at their shows that I would just not pay attention to how bothering it could be.

...and GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Don't forget that.

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Green Day without crowd interaction would be awful. And I doubt there's a much better way to do that than huge crowd chants. He's hardly going to stop and have a chat about his grocery shopping.

Not grocery shopping but

...and GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Don't forget that.

Sowy..

I got the story of when Billie pissed in his suitcase in Glasgow :lol: I miss them I think they were during we are the waiting iirc?

Nah I don't mind the screaming or whatever, shows he's excited. It is annoying to listen to but not when you're actually there tbh.

This thread reminds me this

16.81.jpg

tbh, it's cool to have some music of course, but what makes Green Day lives so special imo is all that stuff, crowd interaction, disguises etc...

and floor humping

:eyebrows:

I got the story of when Billie pissed in his suitcase in Glasgow :lol:

Is there a link on YT ? I wanna see !

A Green Day concert without "EEEEH OHHH"?
Really?

If Billie Joe didn't interact with people, the concerts would be terrible.

I think John's drumming on Who Wrote Holden Caulfield? is a lot better than Tre's

I think John's drumming on Who Wrote Holden Caulfield? is a lot better than Tre's

Yeah, but Tre's still really good.

Nuclear Family and Troublemaker are good tracks on the trilogy.

I like Fell for you quite a lot too. The line "Break a leg and you crush my heart, I'm a mess and you're a work of art" is brilliant

I agree, Fell for You is a great song.

Whaaaaat. OK, then I guess here is an unpopular opinion: I love the Kill the DJ lyrics, chorus and all. The "We are the vultures, the dirtiest kind / A culture war tween your heart and your mind" part is tattoo-worthy in my book... and I appreciate the simplistic "Someone kill the DJ / Shoot the fuckin DJ" part for what it is: a perfect sound-off back-and-forth chant between the singer and the audience. :)

I'm kinda bummed not to hear this song more often live. It's a blast to play, especially during the solo. Shame -- it deserved a better music video.

Ikr!!! Great song!!!

This thread reminds me this

16.81.jpg

This one is great! :D BJ loves to be on stage, no doubt. He loves to interact, to be loved, to play with the crowd. It´s power! He thinks, he´s great. The crowd thinks, he´s great. So everyone agrees he´s great, and that makes a great BJ-Show. Ah, yes, there are some musicians around him that support him, yes. You hardly notice them. ;)

But why does he have to scream "Joy-joy-joy-joy-joy...!" almost aggressively, as if he wanted to force it into the crowd, and as if anything else was fuck...? Don´t understand that...

But as long as I´m not forced to attend every single show it´s just.... fun! :dance:

The reason " let's go crazy" annoys me is that, well, what are you gonna do? Jump up and down a bit? "Crazy" indeed...

21st sounds too auto tuned.Didnt he start that whole hey yo thi g the nimrod tour? When first heard him say lets go crazy i was like where tbe fuck did this come from? Shut up and play. The worst was when they played hitchin a ride on leno.even in the early years people yelled at them to shut the hell up and play some music. The dookie n insomniac shows were awrsome

21st sounds too auto tuned

It's not autotuned, just has heavier vocal filters than they'd used in the past. There's definitely some pitch shifting on RHS and 21 Guns, but apart from that it's the real McCoy.

Breakdown isn't auto tuned. There are a few specific bits of manual pitch correction, but it's very minor. The reason some parts sound artificial is due to double tracking of vocals which can sometimes give a chorus effect, which helps thicken the vocals and make them stand out over the wall of music.

Are you serious? I mean, you basically just confirmed what I said, this doesn't say anything about it being from C&V sessions, just that it's an AI b-side.

Clearly says shoplifter was recorded BEFORE American Idiot Sessions.

Clearly says shoplifter was recorded BEFORE American Idiot Sessions.

Does anyone have the source where it says Too Much Too Soon was for Cigarettes and Valentines? Cause I really like that song

KTDJ suffers because it was hyped as this big change for the band before Uno came out (whether it was publications making the hype themselves or the band)

Ah. I always take that stuff with a grain of salt -- the boys always talk in vague teenage terms when describing the music.

I mean... what is anyone supposed to make of this?:

So no matter what the hype is about any release they do, I already know what to expect: It'll be direct, punchy, catchy, charmingly simple, and infectious as hell. It's Green Day. :)

What else matters?

This may or may not be an unpopular opinion: I don't think the guys have led off an album with it's best single since Warning.

It always kinda scares me each time because I get that feeling of "Wait, this is as good as the album is gonna get?" (21CB + Uno especially)... and then I have to just relax and trust the rest of it will be better.

This may or may not be an unpopular opinion: I don't think the guys have led off an album with it's best single since Warning.

It always kinda scares me each time because I get that feeling of "Wait, this is as good as the album is gonna get?" (21CB + Uno especially)... and then I have to just relax and trust the rest of it will be better.

I think that's probably quite popular. I'd go so far as to say they've never released a particularly good first single. Longview isn't particularly representative of Dookie and is the worst song on the album, Geek Stink Breath is average, Hitchin' A Ride was actually pretty good and Minority was passable, but yeah... American Idiot, Know Your Enemy and Oh Love were very poor choices. And does anyone even remember Stray Heart or X Kid, however great the latter is? :P

I think that's probably quite popular. I'd go so far as to say they've never released a particularly good first single. Longview isn't particularly representative of Dookie and is the worst song on the album, Geek Stink Breath is average, Hitchin' A Ride was actually pretty good and Minority was passable, but yeah... American Idiot, Know Your Enemy and Oh Love were very poor choices. And does anyone even remember Stray Heart or X Kid, however great the latter is? :P

what would you have chosen for the lead single off AI then? i might be biased cos green day exploded into my life when i first heard american idiot (the song), but i think it was a great lead single for their crashing back into the mainstream rock scene.

what would you have chosen for the lead single off AI then? i might be biased cos green day exploded into my life when i first heard american idiot (the song), but i think it was a great lead single for their crashing back into the mainstream rock scene.

To be fair I had the same experience as you. I guess in terms of getting to the point and having a balls out radio hit it was a good choice, but my point was that it's one of the weakest songs on the album and I can see why they also drew criticism for it.

Woah. A lot of the time the first single isn't even an album's biggest hit. A first single isn't the best song. It's just supposed to get people talking. Btw, Longview is one of Green Day's most complete songs and hardly the worst on Dookie. And American Idiot is one of the greatest songs they've made. It was the perfect way to introduce the album.

Archived