Unpopular Green Day Opinions

Kayfabe

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In all honesty, the only songs on the trilogy that I dislike are Troublemaker and Nightlife. I hate them. The rest of the trilogy, however, is awesome. I even like Loss of Control, Baby Eyes and Sex, Drugs & Violence.

I don't know if it's necessarily "unpopular" or not but Holiday and Boulevard of Broken Dreams still give me goosebumps.

I feel that American Idiot's (the album) replayablity is kinda low. I really like it, but I can't listen to it as a whole too often anymore.

Wow That's Loud: Again, nonsensical lyrics. "Smell your technicolor in your eyes"? "Shake you like a ton of lightning, staring in the sun is blinding"? What fucking crack pipe was Billie smoking when he wrote those sparkling gems? The music would be alright, except the horrible... outro? Is that the correct term? Whatever it's called it makes me want to stab myself in the ears. Repeatedly. Inb4 "but it's supposed to tie in with the song! Wow, that's loud!"

Amy's already been covered in-depth here. While I as a fangirl love the idea of Billie singing a lullaby to someone who died, it still feels a bit phony (even though it may have come from a genuine place). Honestly the whole song feels like Billie was just trying to capitalize on Amy Winehouse's death. Not to mention that godawful bridge. Billie, pleeeease shut up.

Kill the DJ: Say what you will for Green Day's "creativity" here, any song with a chorus of "Someone kill the DJ, shoot the fucking DJ," repeated over and over and over and over until the listener feels like shooting the fucking song-writer isn't that fantastic of a song.

Bless this post. I think Amy is a sweet song in particular, and I think that we probably gained some insight into why Billie wrote the song between its announcement and release, but like you said, it still feels a bit disingenuous.

Ughhhh this thread :P

I don't like correcting you on any given point, but it's hip-hop, if you want to be super-precise. ;)

As for everything else, ay-men, sir.

Either is fine. Rap describes just the music, while hip hop can either describe just the music, or the music and wider culture that goes with it (rapping, DJing, breakdancing, graffiti etc). Long time rap/hip hop obsessive here haha.

The thing that annoys me about Amy is the line 'and you walked away from your drink'. No Billie, she DIDN'T walk away from her drink - that's why you're writing that song!

I guess it's a metaphor for her dying and not being able to drink any more, but it's always grated with me that line!

lyrically speaking, I think I'd have to rank GD's albums: AI, 21CB, then Insomniac. Outside of that it is a toss up for me besides the trilogy and 39/smooth being at the bottom of the list.

The thing that annoys me about Amy is the line 'and you walked away from your drink'. No Billie, she DIDN'T walk away from her drink - that's why you're writing that song!

I guess it's a metaphor for her dying and not being able to drink any more, but it's always grated with me that line!

I might be wrong, but I thought part of what contributed to her death was the fact that she stopped drinking altogether and her body reacted badly to it because she was so dependent on alcohol. It's been a while though so I might be misinformed.

They weren't similar in every way. They can't have been, since they're different albums that contain different songs. I like how you're "amused" by me seeing the differences between the two when not doing is just pure ignorance. Sure they sound quite similar, I'll give you that, but that's because they're written by the same band only a few years apart. Not everyone can be Radiohead when it comes to diversity. But there are plenty of huge differences between the two albums, and to say otherwise is ignorant. The only similarity between BOBD and 21 Guns is that one drum fill before the second verse and the change in dynamics between the chorus and verse.

Since you're so obsessed with lyrics, EJN and Holiday couldn't be more different. I do see the similarities, but one is anti-war and the other is a thorough deconstruction of the hypocrisy of religion. KYE and AI I'll give you, the former is clearly just a weak version of the latter. I've spoken at length about my feelings on KYE, so I won't be doing it again.

lol they are two different albums with some striking similarities. Hope this makes it clearer. How are they the same? Well

1.Both Rock Operas.

2.Both preach political and media injustice.

3.Sound the same.

They are the only two set of Green Day albums that sound the same. Is 21st CB a good record, HELL YES. But that does not mean its any different from AI. That's not even an insult. When I said the singles are similar, I was talking about their themes and compositions.

But was 21st CB really the topic of our discussion? Wasn't it Nimrod and The Trilogy?

1386_ab14.gif

Please learn the definition of the word apathy before you try to use it.

Wow you backup an argument of ignorance with an ignorant girl gif. I like you. I mean that.

Again, you never let me make a point. This is not the CNN Newsroom for fuck sake. I used apathy to describe how you're repeating your arguments over and over again.

Are you shitting me? Not only are the Tubbies and Green Day the same damn band, but various Trilogy songs, INCLUDING FUCK TIME, were Tubbies songs originally. Rapping has a genre name - it's called rap. There's nothing hip hop about Nightlife, it's... I don't know what the fuck it is. Half arsed pop-rock with poorly rapped verses. And before you jump on me for it, I like Nightlife. As for Brutal Love, stylistically it's similar to the songs I mentioned. That's the point I was making.

I don't know what you're talking about with Insomniac/Nimrod/hardcore punk. I never made that point in the first place and I'm not arguing with it.

The Tubbies themselves are inspired by the rock and roll bands of the 80s and Chuck Berry too, again, according to Billie. The sound they have is not their invention. You could hear traces of a few songs (like You really got me by The Kinks in Alligator) throughout the record. Fuck Time sounds a lot like a few Chuck Berry songs and has a sample from Teenagers by MCR, both of which came out BEFORE Stop Drop and Roll. At least provide me with an original Green Day work to prove your point. The Tubbies are not our matter of discussion so I again advise you to stay right off it and come to the point :)

Are you kidding me? Rapping comes under Hip Hop. Do your research, I beg you. I don't know whatever the fuck nightlife is, its confusing for everyone. But it was their attempt at something new and they cannot be the masters of it in one go.

I know all this already. I'm not an idiot, I know Green Day very well. My point was, would you know they were short of lyrics just from listening to Last Ride In? No, you wouldn't. Repeating patterns are common in instrumentals, great instrumentals even. It may not have lyrics but it still has a distinct melody line. Good Riddance was nothing new at all, it was written even before 39/Smooth. King For A Day, yes, that's creative, I never said it wasn't. Prosthetic Head is just another Green Day song. Compare that to a surf rock instrumental and I'm sure I don't need to see why the latter is special.

Last Ride In wasn't such a dire attempt at Instrumentals. Of course you know Green Day, maybe better than me, but Last Ride in wasn't that good. There was no highlight in the instrumental, a very average guitar note and nothing spectacular. In comparison, I found Espionage to be much better.

A band doesn't have to release absolutely everything they crap out, quality control is an important part of songwriting.

I'm sorry but Green Day will never hear you behind that wall of the millions of dollars they've made doing whatever the fuck they felt was right.

As for "sitting behind a computer whining about the quality of a record won't get you anywhere," what an absolutely ludicrous thing to say. What exactly do you expect me to do about it? That's right, I can't do anything. But does that mean I'm now allowed an opinion? Jesus fucking Christ. And furthermore, nothing ANYONE says about the quality of a record is going to make a difference to the record. Are you saying no one should bother to think critically anymore? Including your beloved Rolling Stone reviewers? That seems like some pretty solid hypocrisy right there.

I thought what you're doing for the past three posts was expressing your opinions. When did I deny you the privilege of that? At the same time, everyone, even the critics, have their opinion about things. Its up to you to ignore it. But you cannot deny them the right to express their views.

Yeah, I know what words mean, thanks for being so patronising. You're just spewing bile now. Never become a teacher because I'll encourage people to practice their art? Wow. That point is the straw man fallacy at it's absolute finest, good job.

scary-movie-2-puking-scene-o.gif

How am I contradicting myself? I never said they're not entitled to their opinion, I'm just saying their opinions are no more valid than anyone else's. And you honestly think successful critics get where they are purely out of sharing the popular opinion? That's ridiculous. If you simply 'accept judgement' of reviewers rather than thinking for yourself you're doing something seriously wrong.

You never actually said the #8 ranking was from Rolling Stone in the first place, it seemed to be implied that that ranking was your own opinion. Honestly though, regardless of who said what, do you really, really think it matters how many copies a record sells? For what it's worth I dislike both One Direction and Mumford & Sons and don't think either album should have been anywhere near the top 10, but be that as it may - it's my opinion, just like those albums being ranked as they were is someone else's. But I don't understand why you buy Rolling Stone's opinion any more than anyone else's.

Don't even feel like answering this. yawn

I'm tired of repeating the same points consistently. If you want to carry on with this discussion, feel free to PM me. In the end, we're all love Green Day. So that should end all discussions. I was just making a point that The Trilogy was an attempt by Green Day at something creative. Mike said that they were at their creative best when they started working on it. I have no idea how this discussion became more about how much the trilogy sucks and not the optimistic aspects we could derive from it.

I don't know if it's necessarily "unpopular" or not but Holiday and Boulevard of Broken Dreams still give me goosebumps.

It depends for me, with BOBD—it was the first Green Day song I ever listened to, and because of that I consistently overplayed it for a long time and got sick of it. However, after taking a long hiatus from listening to BOBD, I finally got AI on vinyl, and when that song popped up I got chills.

Yeah, this thread isn't here to intentionally piss people off, and it's pretty clear that's what's going on here. Stop it.

Yeah, this thread isn't here to intentionally piss people off, and it's pretty clear that's what's going on here. Stop it.

Apologies. Post redacted.

Back to Unpopular Opinions, then... I have to admit, while the lyrics of "Wow, That's Loud!" are shit, it's secretly my favorite song from Dos just because I love the guitar riff.

Apologies. Post redacted.

Back to Unpopular Opinions, then... I have to admit, while the lyrics of "Wow, That's Loud!" are shit, it's secretly my favorite song from Dos just because I love the guitar riff.

Not you ;)

Yeah, as a song I don't really like it, but the guitar riff is pretty entertaining. The same goes for Stop When The Red Lights Flash, really.

Not you ;)

Yeah, as a song I don't really like it, but the guitar riff is pretty entertaining. The same goes for Stop When The Red Lights Flash, really.

Yeah, as much as I hate to admit it, SWTRLF is pretty damn good live.

I might be wrong, but I thought part of what contributed to her death was the fact that she stopped drinking altogether and her body reacted badly to it because she was so dependent on alcohol. It's been a while though so I might be misinformed.

Oh really? Maybe. I dunno! :lol:

Yeah, as much as I hate to admit it, SWTRLF is pretty damn good live.

Not you ;)

I consider Stop! to be the Trilogy's version of Know Your Enemy - a poor song on the album (though I do prefer Stop!), but pretty damn good live. Check the Reading performance of Stop! after the solo/breakdown when the band comes back in, and the whole place is jumping up and down. Gives you the chills.

Is the guy that said 21b and AI sound the same fucking deaf? Jfc.

The albums are similar only in that they are concept records with political themes and big productions. The integration of soft falsettos, strings, and piano in to 21CB set it apart from AI right away. You also don't have any 9 minutes songs on 21cb, you have two on AI. And there's the shift in focus to vocals for 21cb. AI did not have nearly as many vocal-focused songs. They're vastly different.

Amy's already been covered in-depth here. While I as a fangirl love the idea of Billie singing a lullaby to someone who died, it still feels a bit phony (even though it may have come from a genuine place). Honestly the whole song feels like Billie was just trying to capitalize on Amy Winehouse's death. Not to mention that godawful bridge. Billie, pleeeease shut up.

Reading this hurts my feels.

Archived