Unpopular Green Day Opinions

Kayfabe

Well the DOS hating reminds me of two middle-schoolers having an inside joke that they over-use for far too long.

Albums don't just stop being shit. Jokes do. Your similes need work.

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well the DOS hating reminds me of two middle-schoolers having an inside joke that they over-use for far too long.

What it reminds you of isn't my responsibility. It's not a joke, it's a genuine opinion and perfectly valid. It's not like Ceadog or I have never justified our positions on the issue. If you don't like it, that's fine, but whining about it isn't going to change my opinion.

Lazy Bones is awful, what are you on about?

I don't wanna say you're opinion is wrong.. but you're wrong. Lazy Bones is great.

IS IT, THOUGH?

I don't like this either. Novacaine is better on it's own.

My thoughts on Lazy Bones, inspired by Tom's recent reviews of Peacemaker and Restless Heart Syndrome (though probably a bit more rambling :lol:)

The song starts off with a simple drum track, before the guitar pierces in. There is a great contrast here between the fact that chords are high up on the fretboard, which can give for a more cheerful sound, but the song is in minor key, which adds quite a sinister edge to the over all feel; a feel which is replicated throughout the song. Then in come the vocals. Forget the lyrics for the moment, and just listen to the vocals themselves. The anguish and sadness in Billie's voice are painfully obvious, and the song takes on even more significance in the light of rehab. The lyrics are among the best in the Trilogy. Then in comes the wonderful bass, burbling away in the background, managing to maintain that cheery-yet-sinister feel to the song. This continues in the chorus with the upbeat woah-ohs providing the background to lines like 'I can't take it any more', 'like a prisoner of war' and 'I just wanna get some peace of mind'. In the second verse, the guitar and drum tandem punches through, with the vocals and lyrics continuing to drip with raw emotion. The song climaxes with a brief pause before a simple 4-note solo and the final chorus, before ending with guitar and drums repeating the intro. The song structure, like most songs on the Trilogy, is nothing special. But then it doesn't need to be, as there is plenty enough going on here to keep you interested. It is without doubt a standout song in a poor album, and a standout song in the Trilogy. What it lacks in complexity, it makes up for in heart.

God damn Static Age belongs in my post.

What's the latest way that a man can die?

Screaming hallelujah?

Singing out "the dawn's early light"

absolutely love this part.

Those are some of my all time favorite Green Day lyrics.

Lazy Bones has gotta be one of their most underrated songs.

Agreed, that song is amazing and no one ever talks about it. It's really a different sound for them and I love it.

Also, I really like Amy! "Can you write me a lullaby so we can sing you to sleep?" :cry: Gorgeous.

Those are some of my all time favorite Green Day lyrics.

Agreed, that song is amazing and no one ever talks about it. It's really a different sound for them and I love it.

Also, I really like Amy! "Can you write me a lullaby so we can sing you to sleep?" :cry: Gorgeous.

yea, because billie joe wanting to sing a lullaby to a dead whatever-problem-she-had is gorgeous.

yea, because billie joe wanting to sing a lullaby to a dead whatever-problem-she-had is gorgeous.

OMFG - what can the guy write - I love the lyric - its like he wants her pain to go away.

Dos is a strange album for me. Because when I pick out the number of favorite songs from each of the albums, I think Dos actually has the most (Lazy Bones, Stray Heart, Ashley, Wow That's Loud, and Amy... and possibly Nightlife). But when I think about the three albums, Dos just gives me this icky feeling. I think it has the most tracks that sound very juvenile to me. Songs like Makeout Party and Fuck Time? Eh, not my cup of tea. They're songs best left on an FBHT album or something. I guess I just really don't like the "party" vibe of the album, because what is meant to be a fun middle album in the trilogy just sounds quite dark in my opinion.

Dos is a strange album for me. Because when I pick out the number of favorite songs from each of the albums, I think Dos actually has the most (Lazy Bones, Stray Heart, Ashley, Wow That's Loud, and Amy... and possibly Nightlife). But when I think about the three albums, Dos just gives me this icky feeling. I think it has the most tracks that sound very juvenile to me. Songs like Makeout Party and Fuck Time? Eh, not my cup of tea. They're songs best left on an FBHT album or something. I guess I just really don't like the "party" vibe of the album, because what is meant to be a fun middle album in the trilogy just sounds quite dark in my opinion.

Its really not the fun album though - its the life out of control album.

Well, I think it is. Because A) I imagine Billie partially felt compelled to write about her because he in some part identified with her troubles, and B) It's one of the only times I've ever heard Billie take on a genuinely caring tone in a song that sounded kind of fatherly.

Dos succeeds at nothing it attempts to accomplish. If it was supposed to be the "during the party" album well it failed because it was their darkest album ever. If it was supposed to be garage rock it failed because it pales in comparison to their true garage rock sound- the Foxboro album. It is a mess lyrically. And aside from Lazy Bones and parts of Amy I really just don't feel these lyrics compare to their other darker stuff.

Albums don't just stop being shit. Jokes do. Your similes need work.

I meant that your constant joking about how sucky it is is getting old.

What it reminds you of isn't my responsibility. It's not a joke, it's a genuine opinion and perfectly valid. It's not like Ceadog or I have never justified our positions on the issue. If you don't like it, that's fine, but whining about it isn't going to change my opinion.

No one wants to change your opinion. But remember: It matters WHAT you say, not how loud you say it.

It's funny, though. When the Trilogy came out, I showed the albums to my friends, none of which really like Green Day outside of maybe the hits, partially to spread the word and partially to see what the public thought of Green Day. Strangely, most of them liked DOS. They said it sounded like a fresh sound. They said UNO was too top heavy and poppy, and Tre was just not interesting and kind of boring. They loved DOS though. I think I like DOS so much because it sounds different, if maybe structurally it isn't.

can we expand the joke to three people because Dos sucks

It's funny, though. When the Trilogy came out, I showed the albums to my friends, none of which really like Green Day outside of maybe the hits, partially to spread the word and partially to see what the public thought of Green Day. Strangely, most of them liked DOS. They said it sounded like a fresh sound. They said UNO was too top heavy and poppy, and Tre was just not interesting and kind of boring. They loved DOS though. I think I like DOS so much because it sounds different, if maybe structurally it isn't.

that's anecdotal

That's what I like about it! It's both, it's the fun side of the party and the dark side of the party. There's bits where you can enjoy the party vibe, bit's where you can appreciate the darker or more thoughtful lyrics, and bits where both come together and it's uncomfortable - you find yourself thinking hmm this song is funny but it's creepy and dark too, and that's what makes it interesting and real.

I think it's the same with Stop Drop and Roll to a lesser extent, that album is tons of fun but there's quite a lot of darkness on there too (check the lyrics of 27th Ave Shuffle for example), and it's all the better for it. And then Dos follows it up, only going even deeper and darker. It's why I like them both so much.

No one wants to change your opinion. But remember: It matters WHAT you say, not how loud you say it.

Yeah Tomnomnom, stop typing so loud.

I love your posts ugh <3

No, really, I have the exact same reaction to Dos (minus your like for WTL and Nightlife), yet it's the album I find the most difficult to listen to.

Yup, precisely that. He suddenly sounds like, I dunno, Iggy Pop?! And it doesn't suit him.

I think it's the weird combination of Billie being vulgar but also trying (and failing) to seem coy about his vulgarity... just doesn't do it for me.

This

I think it's the weird combination of Billie being vulgar but also trying (and failing) to seem coy about his vulgarity... just doesn't do it for me.

I think that's a good point. It's the kind of thing that has to be unashamedly balls-out to work. The coyness makes it seem like he knows he's being a bit naughty in a way that he should be ashamed of, which makes him come across as a creepy old man. Compared to Fuck Time, which is just blatant fun for how in your face it is, it just seems a bit slimy.

Archived