Unpopular Green Day Opinions

Kayfabe

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The drums and solo are probably the two stand out things in Makeout Party for me. They certainly aren't his best drums, but they aren't bad.

Am I the only who don't really care about Dookie Anniversary? I love the album, just not understanding why there is such an amount of hype on it.

maybe because it's one of the biggest album of the 90s and it turns 20 today?

The drums and solo are probably the two stand out things in Makeout Party for me. They certainly aren't his best drums, but they aren't bad.

mikes bass is ear sex in that song.

mikes bass is ear sex in that song.

yeah true, I'd forgotten about that.

Am I the only who don't really care about Dookie Anniversary? I love the album, just not understanding why there is such an amount of hype on it.

I actually love it because they play the song much better live now then in 94/96

Yeah that's pretty unpopular to me - massive album - lived through the era - so influential - IMO it was bigger than AI.

Yeah that's pretty unpopular to me - massive album - lived through the era - so influential - IMO it was bigger than AI.

But not better*

I try explaining this to my Green Day hating friends all the time and they just don't get it. Conversation goes something like this.

Them: Green Day's not punk. They made American Idiot and became un-punk.

Me: Actually, AI, although less punk-sounding, is their first really punk album in terms of content.

Them: -stops listening and walks away- Yeah, it doesn't matter, they suck.

:rolleyes:

I'd say Insomniac was pretty damn punk of them. :lol: Rejection, anger, "fuck you dicks, I'm still great, why are you an asshole now?" It's pretty punk in theme, y'know?

Personally, I'd say Insomniac and American Idiot are really their only punk albums. 1,039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours, Kerplunk!, and Dookie had the punk sound (mostly), but not really the theme. Insomniac had the music and the theme. Nimrod and Warning weren't very punk at all (Nimrod had it's moments though). American Idiot was more on the plain rock side, musically, but the lyrics and "edgy-ness," for lack of a better phrase, of the music made it pretty punk.

Honestly, i think the best way to REALLY connect with ALL Green Day songs is to research what was going on with the band at the time.

Try to connect the song to yourself. I honestly have to say that it can be lousy on Green Day's part, but it can be lousy on OUR part, as fans.

1039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours connects well with the love-struck and broken hearted.

Kerplunk and Dookie relate to that rebellious stage within all of us (most notably when we were teenagers)

Insomniac integrates well with that part of us that is depressed and so upset with ourselves, and with the world.

Nimrod focuses on that 'enlightenment' part of our lives, where we realize the truth to our past, and how mysterious yet clear the future is.

Warning is basically the action that is taken from the enlightenment of Nimrod.

American Idiot combines all of this and thus is the end of this period of Green Day's teenage rebellion:

(1039=Whatsername, She's a Rebel, Extraordinary Girl

Kerplunk/Dookie= AmId, JoS, St. Jimmy

Insomniac= Blvd. of Broken Dreams, Are We The Waiting

Nimrod= Wake Me Up When September Ends

Warning= Holiday, Homecoming)

21st Century Breakdown is a calling out of all of the corrupt bureaucrats in our world's governments (Do you wanna start a fuckin' war?!), and a signal that the only time for revolution is now, while we still have a grasp of our liberties.

Uno...Dos...Tre! attempt to try and uphold Green Day's former selves, yet they reach a point of understanding hardly any artist ever did....'We are old, tired, and worn out, and we must remember those who sacrificed themselves to make our journey possible. We must pay tribute.' This is the endpoint of another Green Day era.

Is everyone on this thread so submerged in their own incompetence here?

Honestly, the best way to REALLY connect with ALL Green Day songs is to research what was going on with the band at the time.

Try to connect the song to yourself. Don't think of it as lousy on Green Day's part. It's lousy on OUR part, as fans.

...Don't criticize what you cannot understand.

1) "Is everyone on this thread so submerged in their own incompetence here?" Way to make friends and influence people.

2) "It's not lousy on their part, it's lousy on ours." I'm sorry, that's bullshit. The Trilogy is objectively far weaker lyrically than other GD albums. It's not that I'm not trying to like and connect to "The Forgotten", it's that it's made of shitty, vague cliches that don't mean a damn thing. An artist is capable of failure, and in this case Green Day failed, not us the listeners.

3) "Don't criticize what you can't understand." Ooh, forgive me, wise one. I understand just fine. I understand that I hate the Trilogy because the lyrics are often, quite frankly, abysmal compared to GD's previous standard. I don't care how much they connect to what was going on in the band's lives when they wrote the songs, they're juvenile and cliched and uninspired. It's not that I'm lyrically illiterate or am unaware of what was going on in the band's lives when they wrote it.

In short, don't be so condescending, and welcome to the forum.

I like the part where he tells us we can't understand after stating at length that he can.

Of course he can understand better than us, he's in a band. Unlike any of the rest of us, right?

Of course he can understand better than us, he's in a band. Unlike any of the rest of us, right?

I believe him. He's playing a guitar in his profile pic. That guy definitely knows his shit.

It was only fair, seeing as you made mine with that response :wub:

And you made mine again with that response. :wub:

DAYCEPTION.

Ditto. Welcome and, um....as somebody who's not a musician but is pretty knowledgeable about music, I would like to hear an in-depth explanation of all the things you said. Thanks in advance.

Is everyone on this thread so submerged in their own incompetence here?

Honestly, the best way to REALLY connect with ALL Green Day songs is to research what was going on with the band at the time.

Try to connect the song to yourself. Don't think of it as lousy on Green Day's part. It's lousy on OUR part, as fans.

Being in a band myself, I try to connect intimately with the audience of my words and notes, and Green Day was/is my inspiration.

1039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours connects well with the love-struck and broken hearted.

Kerplunk and Dookie relate to that rebellious stage within all of us (most notably when we were teenagers)

Insomniac integrates well with that part of us that is depressed and so upset with ourselves, and with the world.

Nimrod focuses on that 'enlightenment' part of our lives, where we realize the truth to our past, and how mysterious yet clear the future is.

Warning is basically the action that is taken from the enlightenment of Nimrod.

American Idiot combines all of this and thus is the end of this period of Green Day's teenage rebellion:

(1039=Whatsername, She's a Rebel, Extraordinary Girl

Kerplunk/Dookie= AmId, JoS, St. Jimmy

Insomniac= Blvd. of Broken Dreams, Are We The Waiting

Nimrod= Wake Me Up When September Ends

Warning= Holiday, Homecoming)

21st Century Breakdown is a calling out of all of the corrupt bureaucrats in our world's governments (Do you wanna start a fuckin' war?!), and a signal that the only time for revolution is now, while we still have a grasp of our liberties.

Uno...Dos...Tre! attempt to try and uphold Green Day's former selves, yet they reach a point of understanding hardly any artist ever did....'We are old, tired, and worn out, and we must remember those who sacrificed themselves to make our journey possible. We must pay tribute.' This is the endpoint of another Green Day era. Don't criticize what you cannot understand.

Damn....where to begin?

Darth Praxus pretty much summed it up, but I'll say this: your logic flawed because it just assumes the artist is infallible (Green Day and Billie are far from it). Also, your appeal to authority is meaningless because it assumes that all of us here are a) not musicians ourselves b) and it assumes that we should just take your word for it. That age old argument is a joke and is used by professional athletes in the states all the time.

Ability does not equal understanding

understanding does not require ability.

Archived