Unpopular Green Day Opinions

Kayfabe

I skip BOBD, Holiday, 21 Guns, and The Forgotten every time. Too overplayed, The Forgotten I overplayed myself when it came out in November. My bad.

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't stand the AI Musical album (forced myself to listen to it from start to finish once and was cringeing the whole way through) and have no interest in ever seeing the musical. I'm sure it's technically good and I'm glad they did it to experiment/try new things/broaden their horizons etc, but I personally just don't enjoy that "musical" sound and style of singing at all so it's not for me.

I feel sorry to those who hate 21st Century missing out on a great album (Christian's Inferno aside) maybe should put your hate for it aside and really listen to it once

The crazy thing is when it first came out it got rave reviews (some even saying it was better than American Idiot) and everyone on here loved it! With the Trilogy there's been a mix of people liking, disliking, and being meh about it and a lot of negative as well as positive reviews, but it really seemed like everyone liked 21st CB, it was a proper lovefest. Then it started not being promoted very well, and the band basically abandoned it in favour of the musical, and suddenly it became trendy to hate it and call it their worst album. Obviously personal taste comes into it as well and a lot of people do genuinely not like it as much as their other albums, but I think the trendy factor comes into it too :P

uno is the worst thing Green Day has ever done.

Some people mistake genuine punk rock songs for filler on Dookie.

Billie Joe has become irritatingly arrogant and hypocritical.

The Oh Love video really affected me in a negative way because I didn't think the guys were like that and there's nothing in the video that indicates it's done in a mocking, sarcastic way that a lot of people seem to say it is.

Mike relented so much in the making of American Idiot that he became an afterthought. He didn't get as much praise or as many questions in interviews. He complemented the sound well, but I still think he could have added so much more.

uno is the worst thing Green Day has ever done.

Some people mistake genuine punk rock songs for filler on Dookie.

Billie Joe has become irritatingly arrogant and hypocritical.

The Oh Love video really affected me in a negative way because I didn't think the guys were like that and there's nothing in the video that indicates it's done in a mocking, sarcastic way that a lot of people seem to say it is.

Mike relented so much in the making of American Idiot that he became an afterthought. He didn't get as much praise or as many questions in interviews. He complemented the sound well, but I still think he could have added so much more.

I think the Oh Love video is just supposed to represent the lyrics of the song about sexual temptation, not the band in real life. Like how the Basket Case video set in an asylum represents the lyrics of the song about feeling like you're going crazy, but isn't saying the band really live in an asylum! In both videos it's just symbolism to reflect the song lyrics.

I'm curious to know in what way you think Billie's become hypocritical. Is there an example of something he's been hypocritical about?

1. Warning & AI are my favourite albums.

2. First, I kinda forced myself to dislike Nightlife 'cause it's so not-Green-Day. Now I love walking around at night listening to it. :D

3. I'm a little disappointed of the lyrics of the trilogy. Songs like Fell For You, Wild One, Stop When The Red Lights Flash & 8th Avenue Serenade are lust...donno. Kinda lame. Whereas I love the lyrics of LYG, Walk Away, X-Kid, 99 Revolutions and Nuclear Family.

4. I prefer 1039 to Kerplunk.

5. Shenanigans has those freaking awesome songs and those ugh-ones. Sorry but Don't Wanna Fall In Love... :runaround:

6. Restless Heart Syndrome has awesome lyrics.

7. I love this Thread 'cause it's refreshing to hear some critical voices. Although I don't agree with many, I enjoy reading them.

I'm sick of those *I LVOE GREEN DAY SO MUCH ALL THEIR SONGS ARE GREAT STOP COMPLAINING YOU'RE NOT A REAL FAN*

I guess my opinions aren't that unpopular. :whistle

oh, & no-one has the right to judge ANY Green Day song as long as not having seen them live in concert.

1. Warning & AI are my favourite albums.

2. First, I kinda forced myself to dislike Nightlife 'cause it's so not-Green-Day. Now I love walking around at night listening to it. :D

3. I'm a little disappointed of the lyrics of the trilogy. Songs like Fell For You, Wild One, Stop When The Red Lights Flash & 8th Avenue Serenade are lust...donno. Kinda lame. Whereas I love the lyrics of LYG, Walk Away, X-Kid, 99 Revolutions and Nuclear Family.

4. I prefer 1039 to Kerplunk.

5. Shenanigans has those freaking awesome songs and those ugh-ones. Sorry but Don't Wanna Fall In Love... :runaround:

6. Restless Heart Syndrome has awesome lyrics.

7. I love this Thread 'cause it's refreshing to hear some critical voices. Although I don't agree with many, I enjoy reading them.

I'm sick of those *I LVOE GREEN DAY SO MUCH ALL THEIR SONGS ARE GREAT STOP COMPLAINING YOU'RE NOT A REAL FAN*

I guess my opinions aren't that unpopular. :whistle

oh, & no-one has the right to judge ANY Green Day song as long as not having seen them live in concert.

I have to agree for 1039 and Kerplunk! :D

& as well, I like being part of a fandom with critical people in it. We all know Green Day has pop songs (or even is making pop music today) and that they have 35839859385 haters and are named 'sell-outs', yet we still know their roots belong to true Punk. Fandoms where you are hated if you don't accept everything the band does are horrible.

I have never agreed with something more in my life. I love the song, which is an unpopular opinion in itself, but the video.. It just, it makes me feel like shit. I always took our guys as something different to having half naked women prance around in front of them. Of course a lot of men like that but to broadcast it in such a way, it's just a very negative thing to do when a lot of their fan base is teenage girls. Not that I'm a teenage girl but I'm still gonna be affected the same way by seeing that. I do not see any mocking/sarcasm in it at all. All I see is 3 pervy guys which half naked women. I hate calling them that, but in that video, that's how it comes across.

YES, OH MY GOD YES. It's as if we can't have our own opinions on stuff with certain members/fans. Say one bad thing and suddenly you're not a 'real' fan. It's like, really kid? I'm not the real fan? :lol:

I have never agreed with something more in my life. I love the song, which is an unpopular opinion in itself, but the video.. It just, it makes me feel like shit. I always took our guys as something different to having half naked women prance around in front of them. Of course a lot of men like that but to broadcast it in such a way, it's just a very negative thing to do when a lot of their fan base is teenage girls. Not that I'm a teenage girl but I'm still gonna be affected the same way by seeing that. I do not see any mocking/sarcasm in it at all. All I see is 3 pervy guys which half naked women. I hate calling them that, but in that video, that's how it comes across.

YES, OH MY GOD YES. It's as if we can't have our own opinions on stuff with certain members/fans. Say one bad thing and suddenly you're not a 'real' fan. It's like, really kid? I'm not the real fan? :lol:

Yes, hate that. I think that's why a lot of people don't take Green Day fans serious anymore. They consider us as 14-year old fangirls/boys having a crush on BJ and loving anything they do. You say your favourite band is Green Day, and you are the one who only knows 21 Guns (of course those people exist but yeah).

Yes, hate that. I think that's why a lot of people don't take Green Day fans serious anymore. They consider us as 14-year old fangirls/boys having a crush on BJ and loving anything they do. You say your favourite band is Green Day, and you are the one who only knows 21 Guns (of course those people exist but yeah).

As soon as people in school found out I liked Green Day, they constantly sang Wake Me Up & American Idiot, because they were the only songs they knew and it was just like NOPE. STOP IT. YOU'RE DUMB. I can't take a lot of GD fans seriously & I'm one myself! We just have such a bad reputation and it sucks. It ruins the fun for us and the band. I think a lot of people dislike the band because of the fan base. Kind of like why I really hate One Direction. I'd dislike them regardless of their fan base, but they make it so much worse.

As soon as people in school found out I liked Green Day, they constantly sang Wake Me Up & American Idiot, because they were the only songs they knew and it was just like NOPE. STOP IT. YOU'RE DUMB. I can't take a lot of GD fans seriously & I'm one myself! We just have such a bad reputation and it sucks. It ruins the fun for us and the band. I think a lot of people dislike the band because of the fan base. Kind of like why I really hate One Direction. I'd dislike them regardless of their fan base, but they make it so much worse.

This!

I liked the Oh Love video. The version that was on the playboy website was better than the normal version. I mean, it's not my favorite video of theirs or anything but I think it's fine. Music videos really aren't that important anymore anyway.

I like the new videos, finally something that doesn't have a deep, underlying political statement behind it.

I liked the Oh Love video. The version that was on the playboy website was better than the normal version. I mean, it's not my favorite video of theirs or anything but I think it's fine. Music videos really aren't that important anymore anyway.

Yeah the Playboy version is way better. It gets across that stereotypical "rockstar" party feel so much better, in the other one it looks more like a bunch of people posing than a bunch of people having a good time. I just think people should remember that a music video is about the song, it's not a documentary about the band in real life. The lyrics of Oh Love are about feeling sexual temptation, I think the video is a visual representation of that and nothing more. The band and the women are just playing characters to reflect the song lyrics.

I think the Oh Love video is just supposed to represent the lyrics of the song about sexual temptation, not the band in real life. Like how the Basket Case video set in an asylum represents the lyrics of the song about feeling like you're going crazy, but isn't saying the band really live in an asylum! In both videos it's just symbolism to reflect the song lyrics.

I'm curious to know in what way you think Billie's become hypocritical. Is there an example of something he's been hypocritical about?

I would have agreed about Oh Love except I seem to remember hearing the band saying it was like going backstage with Green Day. I do agree that it fits the lyrics, but I was just disappointed by the notion that the guys really acted that way backstage. You may be right though.

As for Billie, there are little things like the whole iPad and Steve Jobs rants that end up making him look stupid because now he uses Apple products. But I also remember him mocking rock stars and saying he never wanted to be one and now I do think he acts like a rock star a lot of the time. However, I will concede that if he'd been struggling with addiction through most of the trilogy promo his new attitude may have been a result of something else, so perhaps when he's back in full swing I'll change my mind to an extent.

While the Oh Love video is undeniably sexist, I find it strange that no one cares that there were women in green leotards prancing somewhat provocatively around Billie in the Holiday video.

While the Oh Love video is undeniably sexist, I find it strange that no one cares that there were women in green leotards prancing somewhat provocatively around Billie in the Holiday video.

As one of the ones who dislike the half-naked women in Oh Love, the leotard ladies on Holiday didn't bother me simply because they weren't the main focus of the video. They were just little dancers at the end that only played a small part & got very little attention where-as in Oh Love, the nudity was a running theme, playing the main part of the video & a lot of focus was put on them from the guys.

I may be being overly sensitive but I just dislike it. It's sexist, pervy & just grim. I get that it goes with the song very well but there is no variation, no differentiating with the body types of these women. Maybe if they weren't all a size 6, I wouldn't be as pissed but sexual frustration & lust don't take form just in near naked ladies, it can take form in other ways, too. Yeah, being slim, toned, curvy, all that jazz is the most common, doesn't mean it's the only one to show. I for one find a well dressed man way more attractive than a shirtless one. Basically, I woulda thought they'd differ from the typical with the thin women being as they're the guys who never do anything close to the norm.

Long story short, include some woman of a larger frame & I'd be happy. :P

Actually in my opinion Oh love isn't sexist, and as you know, I'm a feminist like you :)
Obviously women aren't just sexual objects, and not all girls dress or act in the way that is shown in Oh love, but there are different women with different personalities. Some of them are feminists like you and like me, and are willing to fight against the stereotype that all women represent nothing but sexy appearance, but there are also women who chose to act in this way, and dress like the girls in the videos. I think feminism is all about equality and the right of choice. The whole idea behind that video was to show sexual temptation, and I think if there would have been guys with ..minimal clothing in that video too you wouldn't have thought it's sexist. The lyrics aren't saying anything offensive about women, and I'm not offended from the fact that there are girls that are willing to act in that way. It's just the way the director chose to represent the mood of this song.
Obviously you can disagree with me, but I just wanted to say that as a feminist, I don't feel that video is offensive or sexist.

I fucking hate musicals. American Idiot is no exception. So unnecessary. I listened to about 30 seconds of the 21 Guns cast version and nearly threw my speakers out the window in disgust. Fuck that shit.

Agreed. I don't particularly like the Oh Love or Holiday video because of that reason. It seems unnecessary to me. I think the Holiday video would have been a lot better without the provocative girls.

Agreed. I don't particularly like the Oh Love or Holiday video because of that reason. It seems unnecessary to me. I think the Holiday video would have been a lot better without the provocative girls.

Should have just been Tré in drag.

I think the symbolism of the provocative dancing girls juxtaposed with images of bombs dropping in the background works really well in the Holiday video. Makes me think of Billie describing the confusion he felt turning on the TV and seeing entertainment and reality shows in between news reports about war while writing the album.

Showing women dressed provocatively isn't automatically sexist or wrong, I think it's the reason for showing it that matters. It's one thing if it's done totally gratuitously but when it's done to reflect the meaning of the music I don't think there's anything wrong with it. The "sexual temptation" symbolism of showing a stereotypical rock n roll scene of rockstars and models drinking and flirting with each other in the Oh Love video works to represent the lyrics of that song I think (although to be fair it could've been done better). Billie regularly moans, writhes around, snogs people, behaves provocatively and shows his skin on stage, and I don't think it's any worse for the band to show provocatively dressed women in a video for symbolism purposes. Sometimes a bit of sexiness - from both men and women - is appropriate in music and art.

As one of the ones who dislike the half-naked women in Oh Love, the leotard ladies on Holiday didn't bother me simply because they weren't the main focus of the video. They were just little dancers at the end that only played a small part & got very little attention where-as in Oh Love, the nudity was a running theme, playing the main part of the video & a lot of focus was put on them from the guys.

I may be being overly sensitive but I just dislike it. It's sexist, pervy & just grim. I get that it goes with the song very well but there is no variation, no differentiating with the body types of these women. Maybe if they weren't all a size 6, I wouldn't be as pissed but sexual frustration & lust don't take form just in near naked ladies, it can take form in other ways, too. Yeah, being slim, toned, curvy, all that jazz is the most common, doesn't mean it's the only one to show. I for one find a well dressed man way more attractive than a shirtless one. Basically, I woulda thought they'd differ from the typical with the thin women being as they're the guys who never do anything close to the norm.

Long story short, include some woman of a larger frame & I'd be happy. :P

Actually, the lack of variation of women in the video is a big reason as to why I dislike the video. I think that's where the Holiday video might fare slightly better, because a far as I remember the ladies weren't so stereotypically 'perfect'. I still feel their presence detracts from the music, especially since they're surrounding Billie, a bloke who isn't emphasising his sexual appeal during the clip, but is highlighting his intelligence through the anti war lyrics.

Actually in my opinion Oh love isn't sexist, and as you know, I'm a feminist like you :)
Obviously women aren't just sexual objects, and not all girls dress or act in the way that is shown in Oh love, but there are different women with different personalities. Some of them are feminists like you and like me, and are willing to fight against the stereotype that all women represent nothing but sexy appearance, but there are also women who chose to act in this way, and dress like the girls in the videos. I think feminism is all about equality and the right of choice. The whole idea behind that video was to show sexual temptation, and I think if there would have been guys with ..minimal clothing in that video too you wouldn't have thought it's sexist. The lyrics aren't saying anything offensive about women, and I'm not offended from the fact that there are girls that are willing to act in that way. It's just the way the director chose to represent the mood of this song.
Obviously you can disagree with me, but I just wanted to say that as a feminist, I don't feel that video is offensive or sexist.

As I said above, while I accept that the women had the freedom to choose to take part in the video, it just bothers me that all the women are the same, fulfiling the modern western stereoptype of beauty. Plus, I guess I find the oversexualisation of women in the media quite demeaning, even if it does suit the sleaxy tone of the song. But like you said, we can agree to disagree.

I think the symbolism of the provocative dancing girls juxtaposed with images of bombs dropping in the background works really well in the Holiday video. Makes me think of Billie describing the confusion he felt turning on the TV and seeing entertainment and reality shows in between news reports about war while writing the album.

Showing women dressed provocatively isn't automatically sexist or wrong, I think it's the reason for showing it that matters. It's one thing if it's done totally gratuitously but when it's done to reflect the meaning of the music I don't think there's anything wrong with it. The "sexual temptation" symbolism of showing a stereotypical rock n roll scene of rockstars and models drinking and flirting with each other in the Oh Love video works to represent the lyrics of that song I think (although to be fair it could've been done better). Billie regularly moans, writhes around, snogs people, behaves provocatively and shows his skin on stage, and I don't think it's any worse for the band to show provocatively dressed women in a video for symbolism purposes. Sometimes a bit of sexiness - from both men and women - is appropriate in music and art.

I understand the meaning of the women in the Holiday video, I guess. I'm not sure I should really be talking about it though because I haven't watched it in quite a while. I still think Oh Love could have been done a little....better? I don't know. I understand the point you're making but to me it seems a little excessive.

Damn, I love the Broadway Cast Recording. When it first came out I wasn't sure so I put it off for a while. When I finally gave it a chance, I was blown away by the quality! Granted, none of my friends liked it either. I listen to a wide array of music to begin with so I guess that was why I liked it. *shrugs* I like quite a few musicals

Archived