Unpopular Green Day Opinions

Kayfabe

I think because green day aren't 'doing' anything just now I'm not as into them. After the aus shows it'll probably dip even more until they announce something :(

Saying that back in my 'billyjo is hawt' days I p much listened to them religiously from 2006 - 2008 until someone said I needed new music and being 14 that made me feel terrible so I stopped listening to them as much and got into fob/mcr/snow patrol/glasvegas etc. Gd will always be number one in my heart though :wub:

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ever since I started really caring about music (maybe 2 years ago), I've discovered and garnered an obsession for quite a few bands. I suppose I'm just playing catch-up :P

Chronologically: 2000's Green Day, U2, Collective Soul, The White Stripes, Foo Fighters, The Black Keys, The Raconteurs, The Hives, Matchbox Twenty, the Killers, Green Day (pre - A.I. plus trilogy), Area 11, GD side-projects, My Chemical Romance, Fall Out Boy, Biffy Clyro, Weezer, The Vaccines, and currently Muse

*takes breath*

That "My Chemical Romance-Fall Out Boy" stage must have coincided with a lot of unexplained depression

Fuck, so glad I'm not alone on this one. Only difference is I haven't found any 'replacement' bands, so there's this huge hole in the musical portion of my life.

The Gaslight Anthem.

That is all.

That "My Chemical Romance-Fall Out Boy" stage must have coincided with a lot of unexplained depression

weird, i watched some fall out boy concert last weekend to try and get into them...i dont think they're gonna be a replacement band anytime soon if i've only really liked one song though.

I've had a number of replacement bands since I first got into Green Day. They've always been my favourite band but I've had long stretches of having no interest in listening to them at all, most recently between 2010 and the Brixton gig this year, which reminded me how great they are. But I've gone through Muse, RHCP, The Gaslight Anthem, Idlewild, Radiohead, Paramore and Manic Street Preachers, but I ALWAYS come back to Green Day. I think that's testament to their music. Recently I've been listening to nothing but Skarlett Riot, and I think they'll stick around for a long time, but no one will ever overtake Green Day as my favourite band.

well, wanting to replace green day could be an unpopular opinion for some people. there you go.

I go through spurts where I listen to a lot of a band. No band has ever really come close to Green Day. Breaking Benjamin, Rebelution, Oasis, Led Zeppelin, Biffy Clyro, Less Than Jake, Jimmy Eat World, Muse, and a few others have taken turns being my most listened to band, but Green Day has remained consistently and unequivocally my favorite band.

What I've realized getting in to these other bands is that nobody has the consistency of Green Day. It isn't often I find a song from one of those bands that I love that wasn't already a popular song. GD has so many non-singles that are incredible, especially compared to other bands. I found Breaking Benjamin, Zeppelin, and Biffy have great depth, but their songs aren't as consistently relatable or as catchy or impactful to me.

I go through spurts where I listen to a lot of a band. No band has ever really come close to Green Day. Breaking Benjamin, Rebelution, Oasis, Led Zeppelin, Biffy Clyro, Less Than Jake, Jimmy Eat World, Muse, and a few others have taken turns being my most listened to band, but Green Day has remained consistently and unequivocally my favorite band.

What I've realized getting in to these other bands is that nobody has the consistency of Green Day. It isn't often I find a song from one of those bands that I love that wasn't already a popular song. GD has so many non-singles that are incredible, especially compared to other bands. I found Breaking Benjamin, Zeppelin, and Biffy have great depth, but their songs aren't as consistently relatable or as catchy or impactful to me.

This is an important point - Trilogy albums aside, Green Day don't do good songs, they do good albums. You could remove the singles from any if their albums and still be left with some insanely strong EPs. I mean, how mindblowingly good are a band when songs like Letterbomb, Whatsername, Homecoming and Give Me Novacaine aren't considered strong enough songs to be released as singles? It's just incredible beyond words.

This is an important point - Trilogy albums aside, Green Day don't do good songs, they do good albums. You could remove the singles from any if their albums and still be left with some insanely strong EPs. I mean, how mindblowingly good are a band when songs like Letterbomb, Whatsername, Homecoming and Give Me Novacaine aren't considered strong enough songs to be released as singles? It's just incredible beyond words.

This is true - I only listen to GD albums not random songs.

The only way I listen to them now is full albums. Stuart And The Ave and Castaway are probably my two favorite non singles

This is true - I only listen to GD albums not random songs.

me as well.

We-need-to-go-deeper_inception.jpg

haha I think the only thing left for me is to get in to the live performances. I've listened to everything biffy has at least a few times through. Skipped most of the hardcore stuff though :P not my style usually

haha I think the only thing left for me is to get in to the live performances. I've to everything biffy has at least a few times through. Skipped most of the hardcore stuff though :P not my style usually

Just gotta say you're seriously letting yourself down if you only listen to Biffy's singles. Their singles are amongst their weakest work. Plus they don't really get very heavy, apart from on a handful of tracks.

Just gotta say you're seriously letting yourself down if you only listen to Biffy's singles. Their singles are amongst their weakest work. Plus they don't really get very heavy, apart from on a handful of tracks.

Yeah the one about the girl having crabs and another one about not wanting to be f***ed by a kangaroo - they are very deep songs :ga:

Yeah the one about the girl having crabs and another one about not wanting to be f***ed by a kangaroo - they are very deep songs :ga:

You forgot the one about the pterodactyls :P

I might get into Biffy just so I can see what the hell has Ceadog so excited :P , but on the whole I really don't need a band to "replace" Green Day. I listen to different bands to get different things, and Green Day fills their certain niche perfectly for me, just like The Beatles fill theirs, Halestorm fill theirs, Pink Floyd theirs, etc. The closest band to Green Day that I listen to lot is My Chemical Romance, and they're really not similar at all—far more theatrical and maudlin.

I might get into Biffy just so I can see what the hell has Ceadog so excited :P , but on the whole I really don't need a band to "replace" Green Day. I listen to different bands to get different things, and Green Day fills their certain niche perfectly for me, just like The Beatles fill theirs, Halestorm fill theirs, Pink Floyd theirs, etc. The closest band to Green Day that I listen to lot is My Chemical Romance, and they're really not similar at all—far more theatrical and maudlin.

Head over to the Biffy thread and I'll sort you out with some recommendations ;)

When I say all the way through I mean albums :P.... rhapsody makes it very easy. Honestly couldn't tell ya one single they have except maybe Black Chandelier (I assume it is a single)

Love Woo Woo, A girl and his Cat, Sounds Like Balloons, Who's Got A Match. To name a few

Green Day will always be my favorite band but I usually go through phases where I go up to a month without listening to them and get into other music (usually when they're inactive like they are right now). However, no music artist or band will ever get me as hyped as Green Day does by doing pretty much anything. I've never obsessed over a band nearly as much and probably never will. I'll probably get super into them again as soon as the Australia tour starts.

And I fucking love No Pride

The lyrics are so damn good.

Sects of disconnection
And traditions of lost faith
No culture's worth a stream of piss
Or a bullet in my face
To hell* with unity
Separation's gonna kill us all
Torn to shreds and disjointed
Before the final fall

And I fucking love No Pride

The lyrics are so damn good.