Unpopular Green Day Opinions

Kayfabe

Lady Cobra, Fuck Time (because it's a Foxies song anyway), Stray Heart (Mother Mary copy paste)... any others? Maybe Troublemaker or SWTRLF, but while garagey, they sound nothing like FBH.

The only reason they don't sound like Foxboro is because Foxboro songs are good :lol:

I don't think there's any shame in skipping Green Day songs or whatever these days. I mean, obviously they're very good and have put a lot of music out, but most of their best songs pre-American Idiot are bog standard, double-tracked guitar chord songs without much really going on. Even the biggest fan is bound to get relatively bored eventually. I find it incredible that Dookie is still so popular after all this time. There's only so many times you can hear a few guitar chords and a three note melody before you stop being so excited by it.

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I must have a looser definition of Foxies like, I'd include all those plus Makeout Party (especially the dirty break down in the middle, it's like 27th Avenue Shuffle), Wild One (more like a slow Foxies song) and Wow That's Loud (totally psychedelic!). Maybe Baby Eyes for the guitar and lyrical content too.

Oh yeah, I forgot Makeout Party, that'd be pretty close, even though it's very typical GD in terms of everything except mixing. Do Foxies do slow songs? W!TL would be close, although I don't think there's any FBH song that is that lead guitar driven. Baby Eyes is very definitely typical Green Day, except poorly executed.

Is it really that unpopular of an opinion that Green Day's ((newer)) music essentially sucks dick now, or am I alone on this one ...?

I'm a completely different type of fan now than I was a couple years ago ... Bit sad, really. I hardly even listen to them at all anymore, and often find myself skipping past any GD song when it starts to play on my phone.

I'm really disillusioned about the Trilogy, but that hasn't tarnished their older stuff at all for me. It's the same with the prequels not ruining the Star Wars trilogy, or The Hobbit films not ruining LotR. If Green Day were to somehow wipe their old stuff completely out of existence, of course I wouldn't be a fan, but as is I still have the old stuff, and I don't have to think of the Trilogy when I think of GD. If their next album is as bad as the Trilogy, I'll probably stop following new releases, but I'll always treasure everything from '88-'09.

I like a lot of artists but the lyrics still don't cut as deep as GD's. I am really into Biffy at the moment but I just don't feel the connection like I do to GD songs.

This might sound contradictory based on my last post, but I actually like their older stuff MORE based on the Trilogy. What the Trilogy achieved was getting me back into American Idiot and Insomniac, because it made me realise just how good those albums are. It's easy to take Green Day's music for granted, if anything the Trilogy woke us all up to how good they can be by showing us what a huge shock it is when they release something sub-standard.

This might sound contradictory based on my last post, but I actually like their older stuff MORE based on the Trilogy. What the Trilogy achieved was getting me back into American Idiot and Insomniac, because it made me realise just how good those albums are. It's easy to take Green Day's music for granted, if anything the Trilogy woke us all up to how good they can be by showing us what a huge shock it is when they release something sub-standard.

Sub Green Day standard anyway. Those were still 3 of the best albums of 2012. Just not the best, as they usually are.

I feel the same way. As I see it, you can have two mindsets. You can go "Their older stuff was so good...what happened?" and be depressed, or you can go "This is awful...oh well, I still have hundreds of good songs to get me through." I was the former with the aforementioned Star Wars disillusionment, until I realized it was making me miserable. Since then, I try to look more positively on things.

Sub Green Day standard anyway. Those were still 3 of the best albums of 2012. Just not the best, as they usually are.

Every album I bought in 2012 was better than Uno and Dos. Tre is definitely up there though, I'll give you that.

I feel the same way. As I see it, you can have two mindsets. You can go "Their older stuff was so good...what happened?" and be depressed, or you can go "This is awful...oh well, I still have hundreds of good songs to get me through." I was the former with the aforementioned Star Wars disillusionment, until I realized it was making me miserable. Since then, I try to look more positively on things.

Yeah, exactly. I beat myself down with the former mindset for far too long, and the latter is clearly superior.

Is it really that unpopular of an opinion that Green Day's ((newer)) music essentially sucks dick now, or am I alone on this one ...?

I'm a completely different type of fan now than I was a couple years ago ... Bit sad, really. I hardly even listen to them at all anymore, and often find myself skipping past any GD song when it starts to play on my phone.

I'd say that opinion is just wrong mate

Oh yeah, I forgot Makeout Party, that'd be pretty close, even though it's very typical GD in terms of everything except mixing. Do Foxies do slow songs? W!TL would be close, although I don't think there's any FBH song that is that lead guitar driven. Baby Eyes is very definitely typical Green Day, except poorly executed.

Yeah Red Tide and Dark Side Of Night are slow. I think it's more just the general feel than anything, there's just a bit of Foxies vibe running through the albums, various different aspects of different songs.

Yeah Red Tide and Dark Side Of Night are slow. I think it's more just the general feel than anything, there's just a bit of Foxies vibe running through the albums, various different aspects of different songs.

I differentiate between GD and Foxies songs by this simple formula:

GD = songs about smoking, frustration, love and masturbation

Foxies = songs about drinking, love and sex with someone other than yourself!

I differentiate between GD and Foxies songs by this simple formula:

GD = songs about smoking, frustration, love and masturbation

Foxies = songs about drinking, love and sex with someone other than yourself!

Id add suicide as well to Foxies

Id add suicide as well to Foxies

Both though...

doubt it

Every album I bought in 2012 was better than Uno and Dos. Tre is definitely up there though, I'll give you that.

Yeah, exactly. I beat myself down with the former mindset for far too long, and the latter is clearly superior.

Uno was voted one of the top 20 or so of every list I've looked at. Tre is definitely levels better than Uno though, just nobody knows about it. Dos kind of sucked, really, but is a still fun listen to. Not really the best of last year though.

Uno was voted one of the top 20 or so of every list I've looked at. Tre is definitely levels better than Uno though, just nobody knows about it. Dos kind of sucked, really, but is a still fun listen to. Not really the best of last year though.

In retrospect, it almost seems like the better idea would have been to stick with the January (?) release date. I guess - in addition to appeasing fans - Warner was just running on fumes at that point and wanted it out ASAP

I like a lot of artists but the lyrics still don't cut as deep as GD's. I am really into Biffy at the moment but I just don't feel the connection like I do to GD songs.

With more abstract and artistic lyrics and points of emphasis, its obviously harder to connect personally from the first verse like Green Day. Longview would never end up on Puzzle :D

I love Biffy btw

With more abstract and artistic lyrics and points of emphasis, its obviously harder to connect personally from the first verse like Green Day. Longview would never end up on Puzzle :D

I love Biffy btw

If you can't connect with songs like Machines, 57, Biblical, or Justboy there's probably something wrong with you :P

I think Tre was the least cohesive of all three. Uno had a theme and style running throughout it, albeit "Kill the DJ" which should have been on Dos. Dos, although I know most of you hate it, also had a consistent style and theme. Tre seemed like a greatest hits compilation that didn't feature greatest hits. Kind of just slapped together. However, it does contain many of the best songs from the Trilogy. Basically, I judge albums by how they fit and flow. In that case, Uno and Dos are better albums than Tre, just have less standout material. More even-keeled.

Biffy Clyro and Jawbreaker are my replacements, if that helps. Biffy Clyro in a much bigger way though.

It's ironic the year I finally up on join GDC is the year I start losing interest in Green Day :P

Ever since I started really caring about music (maybe 2 years ago), I've discovered and garnered an obsession for quite a few bands. I suppose I'm just playing catch-up :P

Chronologically: 2000's Green Day, U2, Collective Soul, The White Stripes, Foo Fighters, The Black Keys, The Raconteurs, The Hives, Matchbox Twenty, the Killers, Green Day (pre - A.I. plus trilogy), Area 11, GD side-projects, My Chemical Romance, Fall Out Boy, Biffy Clyro, Weezer, The Vaccines, and currently Muse

*takes breath*

Spending about month on each band, reading up, watching live videos, etc... My interest in Green Day really peaked about 2 weeks into my career on GDC, tapering off after I attended the tour-opener in March. I'm sure I'll regain interest in a few months - it ebbs and flows for each band.

If you can't connect with songs like Machines, 57, Biblical, or Justboy there's probably something wrong with you :P

I can, it just necessitates a bit higher IQ than Rat Does Cheese :lol:

I think Tre was the least cohesive of all three. Uno had a theme and style running throughout it, albeit "Kill the DJ" which should have been on Dos. Dos, although I know most of you hate it, also had a consistent style and theme. Tre seemed like a greatest hits compilation that didn't feature greatest hits. Kind of just slapped together. However, it does contain many of the best songs from the Trilogy. Basically, I judge albums by how they fit and flow. In that case, Uno and Dos are better albums than Tre, just have less standout material. More even-keeled.

Despite the theme of Dos, I think Kill the DJ fit musically with Uno much better (pop-rock vs garage). It could be argued that the lyrics also complement the ideas of Carpe Diem and Let Yourself Go, reiterative of their titular themes.

I think Dos is really the only one that follows its supposed theme. Each song on there seems to be down and dirty and messy.

This. It was the first song I heard from American Idiot, when they did it live for the AOL Sessions, and it's what made me fall in love with the band in the first place. It's such a simple bass solo, but absolutely fantastic. I'd also argue it's their most important song ever politically, too. And the backing vocals are really fun. I just love everything about it. EJN has some of my favourite lyrics by any band ever, but sound-wise it feels like a half-arsed attempt to recreate Holiday, and the last chorus is lacking the energy needed to give the song the big finish it deserves. For that reason, if it was a case of choosing between EJN and Holiday, I'd go with Holiday every time.

Holiday's lyrics are just timeless, to me. Powerful, creative, filled with vitriol. I love it. EJN is good too, but it doesn't quite get me to the same place Holiday does.

I'm still heavily in to Green Day, I listen to them every day when I'm in my car. Their catalog is so deep and there is always a song that sums up how I'm feeling at any given moment. Bands like Biffy Clyro don't. That is why I haven't grown disillusioned after the trilogy. Billie's voice is back and the band could go in a million different directions in the near future. It's exciting.

Well unpopular opinion: Green Day is still my favorite band

seconded :P

Well unpopular opinion: Green Day is still my favorite band

Totally agreed. I only hate their new stuff so much because of how much I love everything until then. The Beatles *might* theoretically tie GD for number one, but I don't see GD outright dropping to runner-up anytime soon. And even if they do, they're then tied with The Who, who are pretty damn good company.

Totally agreed. I only hate their new stuff so much because of how much I love everything until then. The Beatles *might* theoretically tie GD for number one, but I don't see GD outright dropping to runner-up anytime soon. And even if they do, they're then tied with The Who, who are pretty damn good company.

I don't hate their trilogy stuff that is too harsh and their trilogy albums are still better then most other musical acts albums. But I would not be discouraged by the trilogy. We found out how bad Billie was mentally with his substance abuse and he got that figured out and he's giving himself time to mentally charge. The trilogy just lacked that final layer of care and attention to detail that we have come to expect from Green Day but the bones for most of the songs were solid-good. Given more time and focus it would have been much better so their future is still bright. Unless it becomes all Nightlife all the time.

Archived