Unpopular Green Day Opinions

Kayfabe

BILLIE JOE'S SOCKS ARE A SILLY COLOUR

WE CAN NO LONGER BE FRIENDS!

As for a trilogy song, go listen to brutal love, x kid or lazy bones - the three best songs!

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As for a trilogy song, go listen to brutal love, x kid or lazy bones - the three best songs!

You mean "Rip Off", "Bog Standard Stadium Rock Song", and "Give Me Novacaine/Favourite Son Medley (with extra tambourine)"?

I don't really get the point why so many people don't like the triology.... Especially Uno is totally underrated :mellow:

I think because it could have been so much better. Lots of people on here are of the opinion that if Green Day had taken the best 15-18 songs from the Trilogy and released one album, it would have been a brilliant album. No doubt there would be arguments about which are the best 15-18 songs, but there you go!

You mean "Rip Off", "Bog Standard Stadium Rock Song", and "Give Me Novacaine/Favourite Son Medley (with extra tambourine)"?

No, seriously.

No, seriously.

That was tongue in cheek, they'd all be on my "Not as crap as everything else" Trilogy Album :P

The criticism is still valid, though.

Most people rate it about 2.5-3/5. It's a fairly average album, especially by Green Day's standards.

If you could add something to your opinion it would be helpful :P

I'm a huge fan of Uno. I can remember the night they uploaded Uno at GDA. I was sitting in front of my computer and I was nearly freaking out.

After 21 CBD I was kinda scarred how their next album would sound like but it was even better than what I've expected. Especially the songs I havent heared before like Rusty James or Angel Blue. Both, Dos and Tre are also extremely good but Uno will always stay my favorite because after 21 CBD it sounded so fresh and different

I'm a huge fan of Uno. I can remember the night they uploaded Uno at GDA. I was sitting in front of my computer and I was nearly freaking out.

After 21 CBD I was kinda scarred how their next album would sound like but it was even better than what I've expected. Especially the songs I havent heared before like Rusty James or Angel Blue. Both, Dos and Tre are also extremely good but Uno will always stay my favorite because after 21 CBD it sounded so fresh and different

Pretty sure I was excited as fuck about it too. I think I liked it a lot initially, although there were some incredible stinkers on it, like Angel Blue, Troublemaker, Carpe Diem, and Sweet 16. That excitement went pretty quickly though, I think it was just the fact that we were finally getting something new from Green Day, I didn't apply my usual quality filter to it.

Don't even fucking get me started on Dos mate. Tré is probably the best by having the most good songs on it, despite Uno probably being stronger overrall.

hate you

:D

Pretty sure I was excited as fuck about it too. I think I liked it a lot initially, although there were some incredible stinkers on it, like Angel Blue, Troublemaker, Carpe Diem, and Sweet 16. That excitement went pretty quickly though, I think it was just the fact that we were finally getting something new from Green Day, I didn't apply my usual quality filter to it.

Don't even fucking get me started on Dos mate. Tré is probably the best by having the most good songs on it, despite Uno probably being stronger overrall.

:D

I must add that I'm playing guitar and so I was pretty stoked that I soon would be able to learn a whole bunch of brand new songs ;-)

And I don't rate Dos as a 2nd foxboro album but I like the raw sound of it. Especially Fuck Time and Makeout Party

That was tongue in cheek, they'd all be on my "Not as crap as everything else" Trilogy Album :P

The criticism is still valid, though.

The vocal melody of Brutal Love is taken from some song true, but the rest is pretty cool. I MAY agree with you on the other two, but Lazy Bones is still the best song they've done :P

The vocal melody of Brutal Love is taken from some song true, but the rest is pretty cool. I MAY agree with you on the other two, but Lazy Bones is still the best song they've done :P

FINALLY an unpopular opinion :P

I was just excited for new music in general. It was like one of my favorite shows launching a new season. Now that I look back at that time, I miss that excitement for new shit. The way I view the trilogy now is so different. I skip so many of the songs, and it's not that I dislike them (except See you Tonight, that song is pig poop), it's that they got old extremely fast.

I think because it could have been so much better. Lots of people on here are of the opinion that if Green Day had taken the best 15-18 songs from the Trilogy and released one album, it would have been a brilliant album. No doubt there would be arguments about which are the best 15-18 songs, but there you go!

No, seriously.

I kinda like the idea of releasing 3 albums in a row...

Everyone else would have liked it, too, if there had been more good music on the albums :P

Everybody has different expectations of a new album especially if it's from your favorite band :ga:

*cough* X-Kid *cough*

My excitement for Uno was massive, and lasted until the end of Kill The DJ. By then I realised that every song on the album sounded exactly the fucking same, and was far too clinical for that to work, like it did with Dookie. Nuclear Family and Stay The Night are awesome, but after that, meh. I didn't even listen to Dos until about a fortnight after it came out, Uno really didn't get me excited for it. And guess what, it was awful. I listened to it once, and had no interest in it whatsoever after that. When they did Stop When the Red Lights Flash at Brixton I didn't even know what song it was, which I think says it all. Dos actually pissed me off so much that I was kind of looking forward to Tre because they couldn't possibly make 3 crap albums in a row. And I was right, I love it, there's only a couple of dodgy songs on it. Overall it's in the top 5 for me. X Kid is fantastic, shut up.

Wut?

Uno is decent but it never really goes beyond that. Nuclear Family is probably the best song on there but it really is just typical Green Day, nothing absurdly fantastic about it. I listened to the song Brutal Love "ripped off" and while there are similarities (more so than the stupid Wonderwall vs. BOBD thing, which was just chord progression) it is not a rip off to me in any way.

For an unpopular opinion: I don't think X-kid is that special, at all. Chorus is underwhelming.

I really don't get the amount of shit the trilogy gets. It's not my any means Green Day's best work, but people act like it's the crap that crap craps. I thought it was pretty refreshing to hear them take a different direction after two concept albums right in a row.

I can't believe how divisive the trilogy is, it seems bizarre for a Green Day release. See, I don't even see how it can be taken as a whole. If you happen to like or dislike all three albums then that's one thing, but I don't see how they can be summarily dismissed in general. Like I've always said, I think half of Uno is good, Dos sucks and Tre is fantastic. I do sometimes wonder what the reception would have been like if they'd never done American Idiot or 21st Century Breakdown. A big part of why the trilogy doesn't seem great is because of how ambitious they've been previously and how well they've pulled it off. Not that the trilogy isn't ambitious in terms of quantity, but the quality just isn't there. It's like, American Idiot was a long album, but all the songs were masterful in their crafting. 21st Century Breakdown was less good but still well thought out and had some great songs, but they made up for the quality difference when compared with AI by making it really, really long, which is its biggest flaw in my opinion. Now it just seems like they've gone all out in terms of putting as many songs as possible out and hoping a decent amount of them are well received, and very little effort seems to have gone in to a lot of the trilogy songs. They're so obviously filler and so blatantly inferior to the better songs on the trilogy it's actually quite sad.

The problem with the Trilogy is that even the better songs aren't that good, at least when compared to Green Day's earlier stuff. That's even leaving out AI and 21stCB. Insomniac is so much better than any of the three albums it's not even in the same league. In fact, if I was introducing someone to Green Day for the first time, I wouldn't even bother with the Trilogy. There's little there to interest anyone except hardcore Green Day fans, and even then it's obviously not universally loved, or even liked.

i honestly thing uno is just another nimrod. almost all the songs have a match on nimrod.

King For A Day? Good Riddance? Last Ride In?

Green Day has been ambitious in quantity in the past as well, though. Nimrod has 19 songs (or even 22 on other editions, I believe) and the greater majority of them are fantastic. It's not daunting to them to put so many songs together at once, so I don't think it's a flaw for the trilogy or 21stCB, tbh. I know a lot of people say things like "they should have taken the 14 best songs from the trilogy and just made one album" which is a good point, but what I really like about the three albums is that there's really something for everybody. I think that may have been some of their intention.

Archived