Unpopular Green Day Opinions

Kayfabe

"[in the punk community] "rock star" was a four letter word. It was a tough time. Later, I was a like, "Man, did I enjoy that?""

"Around Insomniac, I was afraid to walk around onstage. If I walk to this part of the audience, that means I'm being an asshole...[during the Nimrod tour] I started raising my hands in the air, getting people to clap. I realised that's what people wanted. They wanted to have a good time, and it's OK to be a ring leader."

These two quotes are taken straight from Billie Joe's recent Rolling Stone interview. If anything, it suggests to me that his irreverent attitude towards fame in the nineties was an act to maintain punk credibility. Now, that's pretentious. Embracing what he really wanted to do later on: put on a good show, make a statement, be a superstar etc. is actually quite sincere.

I think Green Day were an incredible band from the start, but the change that occurred during the early noughties - and manifested itself as two brilliant albums, American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown - helped them blossom into an iconic, serious group. And frankly, that development wouldn't have been successful without some of that 'rock star' confidence and showmanship.

I should've read that article I guess because I've wanted to hear stuff about their live performance evolution forever. I tried picking it up myself by watching youtube. It's fascinating.

That's what makes Green Day such a legendary band to me. If you watch him perform something like "She" from that MTV show in '95 and then watch him perform BOBD on BIAB, you wouldn't believe the evolution as an artist.

Truth be told, Billie's always seemed like a bit of a pretentious wad to me but I've learned to deal with it. Mostly because I'm afraid the Green Day fanbase will rip me to pieces, but have at me if you'd like, I'm not sure I really care at this point. :P

Is it really fair to call someone you don't know pretentious? He could be for all I know, but it's not really fair to call someone that w/o knowing them IMO

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it really fair to call someone you don't know pretentious? He could be for all I know, but it's not really fair to call someone that w/o knowing them IMO

Well, okay, from what I've seen in interviews I feel he's a bit pretentious. Jeez.

Ok, first "confession": I freaking love Insomniac, American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown. They're my favourite albums and I know Dookie is a really really really good record, but I just can't put it with my loved ones. Then, I also had the impression that the shows before the rehab were better but I will never know (I just saw them in June, previous concerts in Italy were cancelled). However, I'm so glad Billie got help and came out of that thing. I'm pretty sure he's better than EVER.

Random Unpopular Opinion: I hate the song Brat. Insomniac is my favorite album (usually) and I can listen to it on repeat for hours, but I always have to skip Brat. The lyrics aren't spectacular, the concept is blah and unrelatable (to me, of course), and it seems random on an album centered around crippling anxiety and meth-amphetamines. And I don't need anyone to make a case for it fitting in because I could do the same thing (in a nutshell: anguish leads to apathy, leaving a desperate "brat" to wish death upon his own parents. morbid, huh?). But I can't get past how silly it is in comparison to some of the most meaningful lyrics old BJ's ever produced (gonna reiterate just one more time IN MY OPINION).

Anywayyy....

I really don't understand not liking GD's ballads...you hear some of BJA's best vocal/lyrical work. They have some great pieces. Maybe you don't like them because their ballads tend to be the most popular ones (not a good reason) or maybe you just don't like slow songs, either way you're missing out.

There are the obvious popular ones:

21 Guns

BOBD

WMUWSE

Good Riddance

but they have other slow songs that are also very good:

Are We the Waiting

Macy's Day Parade

Christie Road (Sort of)

Amy

Give Me Novocaine (Sort of)

Before the Lobotomy

Last Night on Earth

Whatsername

When It's Time

Brutal Love

Even their "ballads" have up-tempo parts, as almost all of these do ramp up at some point. So idk how these songs can bore anyone, the lyrics of most of these and the live vocal that BJA gives are great. These songs make Green Day truly special.

I don't like slow songs. And I also don't feel like I'm missing out because for every ballad I don't listen to, I get one more play of American Eulogy, you feel? I also don't consider it to be the best lyrical work. I find them repetitive and boring. And often about love. I hate love songs. Talk to me about how you want to kill yourself some more. Me gusta. I know that sounds bad. Don't care. This is what opinions are for!

I do like some slower songs though. I don't necessarily consider them ballads. 21 Guns and Brutal Love are the only 2 songs I like from your entire 2 lists! Wake Me Up When September Ends has been my favorite song since my dad died. But before that I couldn't stand it. And I've only listened to Good Riddance within the past 7 years if I physically had no way at all to change the song. Damn, do I sound like a hater tonight or what?

Why do you bother being front row if you don't even enjoy the special interaction you get with the band up there? :mad::lol: I do recall you saying you're not a particularly huge fan, so I wonder why you go to all the trouble of trying for front row when you don't seem to have the same fanatacism that othes do :P

I agree, the Trilogy artwork is shite.

I was trying not to give a long answer when the first person asked but considering how much I post here and how often it is negative toward the band, I should probably just be straight haha.

My love for Green Day has grown exponentially in recent months (I've been dusting off the old CDs, ok? Listen to Insomniac in full at 3am speeding down the highway and try to not fall in love again!), so sure, let's call them my favorite band. The actualization of having a favorite band is seeing them live. Just seeing them in person alone, like living and breathing and shit... let's all admit right now that that is the coolest shit in the world. That's 1. I don't like ballads and I don't like EY-OHs or screaming. But when that's not going on, they are actually playing songs! Rocking out. Moshing and shit. Living life. That's 2. Finally is weird shit like the pregame: sitting outside, meeting other fans, getting all amped up, the nerves and the butterflies and the countdown to the show and threatening people who cut you. Ok, it's 2am and I'm just gonna stop myself right now.

Contrary to popular belief, I love Green Day and shows. I just live in the Unpopular Opinions thread so it seems like they are all I have. Ok I'm done.

Tre is better than 1039, Kerplunk, Warning and 21CB.

Agreed with all except 21st CB

beside the fact when i come around has been/is overplayed, it's easily in my top 10 green day songs.

Restless Heart Syndrome isn't a very good name, it should have been called "Medicated", or something like that.

I don't think so. I think "Restless Heart Syndrome" is pretty good name. I mean you have like "American Eulogy", "21st Century Breakdown", and then on, "Medicated"?

In any case, that name would be weird, because it's too short (yea, Peacemaker is a thing we should talk about).

These days I'm putting 21st CB way ahead of AI.. I can't listen to AI anymore, like I know It's an awesome album and all but..

Its the same effects AI and 21st hadBut since Trilogy didnt have that much production tricls it stuck out more

Do you have some kind of a source or just good ears? :D

'Cause the 21stCB vocals sound so "Real" and the trilogy ones just sound like..shit you know.

Do you have some kind of a source or just good ears? :D

'Cause the 21stCB vocals sound so "Real" and the trilogy ones just sound like..shit you know.

You can tell the effects if you ever hear the acapellas from the rock band tracks

The music is louder on 21st so the effect isn't real notiable cause of that

You can tell the effects if you ever hear the acapellas from the rock band tracks

The music is louder on 21st so the effect isn't real notiable cause of that

Oh..yeha I listened to one, and I see your right.

Sam Bayer is a complete fucking wanker And I hope they never work with him again.

Sam Bayer is a complete fucking wanker And I hope they never work with him again.

I didn't know Australians also used the word wanker.

Cool.

I love the Jesus of Suburbia video. It's dynamic and a bit chaotic and I like that.

Not the full version with two minutes of trite dialogue at the beginning, though. I only discovered it recently.

Billie has a wife and kids, and he doesn't know that feeling that all teenagers have; that feeling of wanting the person you love. He has Adie now, he doesn't dream every night of what it would be like to love her. THERE"S NO PASSIONATE LOVE SONGS ANYMORE!!!!!!!

I aboslutly see what you mean but you have to think about it. Billie Joe isn't a teenager anymore. He's 41. it would be strange and a bit creepy having an adult writing songs about infatuation.

Edit: i realize i posted this again. For some reason i keep accidentally double posting today

I aboslutly see what you mean but you have to think about it. Billie Joe isn't a teenager anymore. He's 41. it would be strange and a bit creepy having an adult writing songs about infatuation.

Mate that post was almost 6 months old.

Billie has a wife and kids, and he doesn't know that feeling that all teenagers have; that feeling of wanting the person you love. He has Adie now, he doesn't dream every night of what it would be like to love her. THERE"S NO PASSIONATE LOVE SONGS ANYMORE!!!!!!!

I don't really like Insomniac much, except a couple of songs in it, and don't think Dookie is that great either. I prefer Kerplunk over those two...

I love Last Ride In and Espionage.

I'm not a huge fan of Dookie either. Kerplunk is probably my second favorite album after Insomniac. And that you dont like Insomniac, fair enough. I know a bunch of people who dont like it because it hits too close to home for them. And the songs are (in my opinion) similar to the Dookie style so if you dont like Dookie then that makes sense.

Mate that post was almost 6 months old.

I know. Its like when i respond to my friends text messages or emails a few months after i got them. I just do that stuff.

So I thought Cuatro was kind of a disappointment with all it's random switching to black and white and shit? I mean it was entertaining, but I felt they could have done a better job.

I mean it was entertaining, but I felt they could have done a better job.

Basically everything to do with the Trilogy in one sentence.

So I thought Cuatro was kind of a disappointment with all it's random switching to black and white and shit? I mean it was entertaining, but I felt they could have done a better job.

Kinda, yeah. It didn't really feel like much of a "making of" documentary to me when I watched it. It was enjoyable and I got a good laugh out of it, but it's not the best they could have done.

But what can I say, Green Day are musicians, not film producers. :lol:

I feel like all of their music videos back in the 90s were so much better, the "Hitchin' a Ride" and "Redundant" videos especially stick out to me. The latter took so much *work*...and then the song wasn't even a big hit. :(

Archived