Unpopular Green Day Opinions

Kayfabe

- Okay I don't get all the Dookie hate. Is it me or does it seem like it's coming from the younger fans? Dookie is one of my favorite albums of all time. I love it just as much now as I did when I first heard it at 15. It is a perfect album in my opinion and every song could have been a single.

- This may get me some heat as an infrequent poster to these boards, but I noticed this come from alot of the younger fans too. Just because I don't like the new music as much, it doesn't make me "less of a fan" than you or anyone else. No band is perfect and you shouldn't blindly love and worship everything they produce like it fell from God's asshole to the ground. Every band will have low points and put out some stinkers, as GD have recently proved to us. If anything, some bands need those "low" periods and it motivates them to come back and kick as much ass as possible on the next album.

One moment you're saying you like Dookie and complaining about fans disliking it, the next you're saying you dislike the Trilogy and complaining about fans liking it :P. I don't think it has much to do with "older" or "newer" fans. Some fans just like Dookie more than others and some fans just like the Trilogy more than others. Disliking one or the other isn't "hating" and liking one or the other isn't "blindly loving", it's just personal taste in music and it has very little to do with how old someone is or how long they've been a fan.

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think they're those kind of people either, if only for the fact that this 'party animal' persona doesn't suit them! When they produced songs about 'excess' throughout the nineties, and even somewhat on American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown, they had a real sense of humour about them. They weren't taking themselves to seriously. Compare Fuck Time with Blood, Sex and Booze: same subject matter, totally different approaches and only the latter really works. I kind of see what you meant about how they haven't left their political, serious phase completely: they're trying to talk about trivial things as if they're the end of the world! And it's hilarious - for all the wrong reasons. But, yeah, bottom line stands that they're still the three (or four...) loser kids from Berkeley/Oakland and they should re-embrace it anyway they can.

I like this comparison. Blood Sex and Booze is in my top 5 GD songs and it conveys sexual desire much more effectively than anything on the trilogy. Honestly, all of the sex-themed songs on the trilogy make me cringe and/or facepalm because they just seem so skeevy.

The thing for me is this. I really like the trilogy, since UNO came out i've been listening to the trilogy on average 5 days a week. The problem is that I'm not really proud of it, when I talk with my friends about what albums they're listening to, they all go like Biffy Clyro's new album is amazing and Muse latest album is fantastic, these last 2 days everyone is saying how much they liked daft punk's new album. I didn't hear a lot of people talking about how the trilogy was amazing, and I'm not confident enough to go and tell them to listen to it because deep inside I'm not really proud of it. In the case of 21st Century breakdown and American Idiot things were different, I was proud to be a green day fan, those albums really represented me as a fan and I wasn't ashamed of being a green day fan. I know, i'm talking like i'm not proud that I like Green Day ( which is not true they are my favourite band and I visit GDA everyhour !) but in these day and age many people seem to forget who are Green Day and just see them as a young teenage girls band and not for adults. And I REALLY HATE THAT. I want them to release an album where they can show how technically are good and how they can write great songs which are not cheesy as those of the trilogy.

If it weren't for the IRL friends I made on GDC, I wouldn't be talking about GD IRL, I totally get you. It's a shame.

GA tickets are usually much cheaper than good seats

I have to disagree, actually. For the U.S. leg, GA tickets were the same price as 100-section seats and the only cheaper tickets were the nosebleeds and even those were like, $40 iirc. In fact, had the Cleveland show happened, every single ticket was $50-$60 (I don't recall the exact number), whether you were at the barrier or in the nosebleeds, which is utter fucking bullshit. Your experience in those areas will be totally different and shouldn't be priced the same. Plus, I think those high prices are way out of the price range for casual fans who may fill the seats. Is it better to have completely empty sections at $60 a pop or filled seats at $30 (which is what I paid to see them in the nosebleeds in 2009, as a casual fan)? I guess that's the question that's debated by tour bookers.

idk, I'm a fan of a three-tiered price system in arena shows. Most expensive is GA, 100-level seats are a little cheaper (because the experience in a seat is not the same as GA, even if you're close) and 200-levels should be cheap to get casual fans in the door. Maybe that's naive but, eh. :blush:

I think Christian's Inferno and Last Night on Earth are amazing songs.

CI's chorus is ridiculously catchy, I always end up singing the "WOOOooooOOOOAAAH!"s :P

I don't find LNOE to be cheesy and cliched at all. It fits perfectly after Christians Inferno to contrast it - the aftermath of the storm.

In fact, I don't find either to be cliched or dumbed down with their "basic" themes. That's how the songs were intended - these two, consuming, raw emotions to move the plot and give Christian some background.

It may not be an unpopular opinion but I'm just gonna say what I think.

At first I really liked the Trilogy, but I think it's because I really wanted to hear some new Green Day work. Listening to it now I find it wasn't as good as I thought. It's not bad, and their are some songs that are really good (X-Kid, Rusty James, Stay the Night) but most are just average. The reasons being that they all feel rushed out and not completely finished. Had Billie went through each song with the fine-tooth comb like he did for the previous albums, he would have fixed up the lyrics to each song and gave them some more depth I think.

After what happened at iHeart and the rehab I understand why it seemed rushed since he was in a really bad place. One aspect that provides me hope for the future is the lack of Trilogy songs being played at their shows. Don't get me wrong I want to see them all played live, but I think Billie doesn't necessarily like them like he does the old songs. That's why we hear Coming Clean, Christie Road, and She, as opposed to Nuclear Family, Makeout Party, and Amanda.

I think the overall size of the Trilogy made them rush each song just a little bit, and their next album will probably been much more thought out and hopefully recapture the incredible depth and witty lyrics Green Day is known for.

One aspect that provides me hope for the future is the lack of Trilogy songs being played at their shows. Don't get me wrong I want to see them all played live, but I think Billie doesn't necessarily like them like he does the old songs. That's why we hear Coming Clean, Christie Road, and She, as opposed to Nuclear Family, Makeout Party, and Amanda.

I think the 99 Revolution tour is Billie just re adjusting to performing sober and so just playing songs he is familiar with and used to

I think the 99 Revolution tour is Billie just re adjusting to performing sober and so just playing songs he is familiar with and used to

at least he's still playing.

and they add like what, 5 new songs on the tour? they didn't add more than 5 new songs on the 21stCB tour. only a few and the rest was older songs. it's always been that way actually :P

and they add like what, 5 new songs on the tour? they didn't add more than 5 new songs on the 21stCB tour. only a few and the rest was older songs. it's always been that way actually :P

I think people are more upset about which songs they chose, and the fact that they aren't really changing up the older songs that much. No DRB, no Nuclear Family, no Kill the DJ, etc...

I honestly would like to see Homecoming on a setlist instead of JoS for once, or something other than Know Your Enemy to represent 21CB every so often.

An unpopular opinion about GD? Okay, well I don't really like the American Idiot album all that much.

I'm not a huge fan of Homecoming; it's one of the least played songs off American Idiot on my iTunes.

I also love Extraordinary Girl and She's A Rebel which seems to be an unpopular opinion :P

I think people are more upset about which songs they chose, and the fact that they aren't really changing up the older songs that much. No DRB, no Nuclear Family, no Kill the DJ, etc...

I honestly would like to see Homecoming on a setlist instead of JoS for once, or something other than Know Your Enemy to represent 21CB every so often.

okay yes i totally agree with you on this! they have to bring back American Eulogy. badass live.

I have no qualms i loved seeing them at SXSW I hadn't been to a Green Day concert sibce 95 so alot of the songs were fresh for me I'll deft go again when they come back to Houston and Texas

Ahh shit that is the most unfortunate page own ever.

It made me laugh more than any other page own I've seen. Thats not saying much though :P

or something other than Know Your Enemy to represent 21CB every so often.

This. Know Your Enemy's pretty badass live, but it's getting old. I'd much prefer the title track (as an opener, opposed to 99Revs; and to represent the album).

This. Know Your Enemy's pretty badass live, but it's getting old. I'd much prefer the title track (as an opener, opposed to 99Revs; and to represent the album).

the only reason why they keep KYE on the list is that's it's damn popular and full or energy.

at the show i went back on april they started with 99 revolutions obviously and few people knew the lyrics and it was ok, and then KYE and wow the crowd went crazy and everyone was singing. even if i prefer 99 rev as a song, i prefered KYE live because of the way the crowd was. from here when we're listening and following the shows at home it gets boring but when you're at the show you don't give a fuck about the songs they choose because the energy is awesome. well imo. :P

the only reason why they keep KYE on the list is that's it's damn popular and full or energy.

at the show i went back on april they started with 99 revolutions obviously and few people knew the lyrics and it was ok, and then KYE and wow the crowd went crazy and everyone was singing. even if i prefer 99 rev as a song, i prefered KYE live because of the way the crowd was. from here when we're listening and following the shows at home it gets boring but when you're at the show you don't give a fuck about the songs they choose because the energy is awesome. well imo. :P

You do have a point. :)

American Idiot was the best opener. They should've kept that going. :(

this all the way. i couldn't agree more. seriously who doesn't know the lyrics to this song?

but they always choose a song from the new(s) album(s) as opener on tour so. :P

Have to admit, opening with Song of the Century was really atmospheric when I went to see them, but American Idiot is SUCH a perfect opening track. Where is it placed in the current setlist does anyone know? I remember it being to kick off the encore during the 21CB tour. Like, it is that perfect as an opening song that they still had to use it that sense touring under a different album. I wish they'd just go for it and replace AI with a new song later in the setlist. Everyone would be so pumped.

on the current setlist it's played during the encore at the end. it goes with American Idiot, Jesus of Suburbia and they end with Brutal Love!

I don't think they're those kind of people either, if only for the fact that this 'party animal' persona doesn't suit them! When they produced songs about 'excess' throughout the nineties, and even somewhat on American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown, they had a real sense of humour about them. They weren't taking themselves too seriously. Compare Fuck Time with Blood, Sex and Booze: same subject matter, totally different approaches and only the latter really works. I kind of see what you meant about how they haven't left their political, serious phase completely: they're trying to talk about trivial things as if they're the end of the world! And it's hilarious - for all the wrong reasons. But, yeah, bottom line stands that they're still the three (or four...) loser kids from Berkeley/Oakland and they should re-embrace it anyway they can.

yeah, one thing that I like about green day is that they've always been just normal guys who are in a band and embrace being "losers" or "outcasts" or whatever. I think, obviously because they're singing about makeout party's and having sex with loads of girls it's a lot less relatable...

I really don't care for Pinhead Gunpowder.

You have Jason White as your ava but you don't like Pinhead Gunpowder? What kind of dope are you smoking. :mellow:

American Idiot was the best opener. They should've kept that going. :(

this all the way. i couldn't agree more. seriously who doesn't know the lyrics to this song?

but they always choose a song from the new(s) album(s) as opener on tour so. :P

From this thread: http://www.greendaycommunity.org/topic/93120-what-is-the-best-live-green-day-song-to-start-off-the-show/?hl= best opening song

For ones they've done in the past, I'm sick of hearing Welcome to Paradise. Pleeeaaase, no more.

Since 99 Revolutions is the only one I can claim to have seen live, I'll just say it was amazing. It's the perfect speed for banging your head or jumping around in the pit. I have to say, it was one of the best parts of the night on Thursday.

For future openers, I would be blown away if the played Panic Song as they came on stage. I say this because this means that the crowd has about 2 whole minutes to get pumped before Billie starts singing. And we all know that when Billie isn't allowed to sing for even a moment, he'll get into some funny business. While Mike and Tre are playing to kick off the song, I can just imagine all the faces he'll make at the crowd and all the pranks he can pull. After Panic Song, I would love to see Dirty Rotten Bastards, with all the yeah-yeah-yeahs and ra-de-da-de-di's to get some crowd interaction.

i really like 99 revolutions as an opener. it was never one of my favorites on the trilogy until i saw it live and i loved it, it has really great energy. that being said, nothing will ever top the song of the century/21cb opener for me. so perfect.

speaking of which, i've found myself really nostalgic for the 21st century breakdown "era" lately. it's weird, because 21cb is far from being my favrorite album, i absolutely love the trilogy, wouldn't change anything about it, the show i went to on this tour was the best i've ever seen them perform, but...i don't know. i just miss it. maybe it's just because i really miss all the interviews and seeing them on tv and stuff :( i was really hoping they'd get back into the swing of things and start promoting the trilogy but i don't see that happening now.

I can't blame them for taking it slow, but it feels really weird, like it's Green Day's stunt double.

i really like 99 revolutions as an opener. it was never one of my favorites on the trilogy until i saw it live and i loved it, it has really great energy. that being said, nothing will ever top the song of the century/21cb opener for me. so perfect.

speaking of which, i've found myself really nostalgic for the 21st century breakdown "era" lately. it's weird, because 21cb is far from being my favrorite album, i absolutely love the trilogy, wouldn't change anything about it, the show i went to on this tour was the best i've ever seen them perform, but...i don't know. i just miss it. maybe it's just because i really miss all the interviews and seeing them on tv and stuff :( i was really hoping they'd get back into the swing of things and start promoting the trilogy but i don't see that happening now.

Yeah, 99 Revs is an alright opener. But you know what would be really cool? If they opened with Panic Song. All that fast drumming and bass leading up to an awesome song. Jeez.

Archived