Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Cycling

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

November's Storms

November's Storms
  • Welcome to Paradise

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,673 posts
  • Joined Feb 09, 2010
  • 4,458 rep

A thread for talking about all things on two wheels! Well, bicycles really. :)

I have fallen in love with cycling over the last year, helped by my visit to Amsterdam, which has to be the bike capital of the world :)

67115_4754564107877_1364264723_n.jpg

Any other bike lovers out there? 

This can also be a thread for discussion on bike safety, maintenance etc. As well as the professional sport too. Wouldn't mind a chat about that lying bastard Lance Armstrong too. :)

JIGD13

JIGD13
  • I Turned into a Martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,788 posts
  • Joined Jul 02, 2012
  • 2,602 rep

I love bikes, but I don't ride it that much because mine is too samll and I want to sell it

Katarina.

Katarina.
  • Wanderlust

• 25,997 posts
  • Joined Sep 27, 2007
  • 3,295 rep

:thumbsup: Another bike lover here. I like to go cycling while listening to music on my iPod, doesn't really matter where I'm going!

Dirntbag

Dirntbag
  • Unsuspicious Individual

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,076 posts
  • Joined Jan 15, 2012
  • 2,868 rep

I really like cycling. The problem is that Bermuda is pretty much a half empty pot of ice cream in terms of flatness. It's very hard to find somewhere flat to cycle, but the hills sort of force me to get a workout so I don't mind. I cycle to and from my volunteering position every Sunday when I'm at my dad's house and my dad likes to cycle too so we can usually do that together.

I really hate group exercise. Like my mom was trying to get me to go to Zumba fitness classes with her. :sick:  No, cycling is perfect because it's more badass than walking, it's solitary and it's faster. I really hate wearing helmets though, when I cycle alone I always take my helmet off.

That's another thing about Bermuda, there isn't really anywhere to cycle that's not on the road.

I wish I could go to Amsterdam! Feels like a really chill place. (It doesn't help that I'm reading 'The Fault in Our Stars' by John Green atm)

Also, a side note: I think Neil Armstrong's just lying to get people off his back about the drug thing. It's such a shame, but he does still have his Livestrong charity.

frunsi

frunsi
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • Joined Feb 06, 2012
  • 349 rep

POPULAR

Also, a side note: I think Neil Armstrong's just lying to get people off his back about the drug thing. It's such a shame, but he does still have his Livestrong charity.

yeah, fuckin neil armstrong. playin the trumpet in green day doesn't justify lying and taking drugs.

• Velocity, chewychorizo, Daughter.of.Rage.and.Love and 3 others like this

alien97

alien97
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 138 rep
I love cycling

November's Storms

November's Storms
  • Welcome to Paradise

• 10,673 posts
  • Joined Feb 09, 2010
  • 4,458 rep

Lance Armstrong! There's a reason so many people are on his back. He lied and bullied people, made millions of dollars in personal wealth (before any charity work came into it) and when people started accusing him he lied some more and took them to court, and often winning. He deserves everything he is getting now and more, I've no sympathy for the man.

On a more positive note, nice to see I'm not the only one cycling!

alien97

alien97
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 138 rep

Lance Armstrong! There's a reason so many people are on his back. He lied and bullied people, made millions of dollars in personal wealth (before any charity work came into it) and when people started accusing him he lied some more and took them to court, and often winning. He deserves everything he is getting now and more, I've no sympathy for the man.

Ok I know he did drugs but when I was 14 i did lands end to john o'groates and there were days I felt like giving up and actually wished I had some drugs for about a minute so I know how hard it can be

November's Storms

November's Storms
  • Welcome to Paradise

• 10,673 posts
  • Joined Feb 09, 2010
  • 4,458 rep
Ok I know he did drugs but when I was 14 i did lands end to john o'groates and there were days I felt like giving up and actually wished I had some drugs for about a minute so I know how hard it can be

Doing the drugs is one thing, the majority of cyclists around his time did drugs too. But to deny it and then turn other peoples lives into living hell just because they want to get the truth about it is entirely different. Armstrong once made comments about an Irish journalist who was digging into his past about the fact that the journalist's son had died because of a bicycle accident. He used that death to convince others that the journalist had a vendetta against cycling. The man is incredibly selfish and is only apologizing now because it benefits him in some way.

But yeah I'd rather make this a positive thread about how great cycling is as a hobby, not about the wrong doings in the sport. Well done cycling that distance, that's an incredible achievement! :thumbsup:

alien97

alien97
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 138 rep

Doing the drugs is one thing, the majority of cyclists around his time did drugs too. But to deny it and then turn other peoples lives into living hell just because they want to get the truth about it is entirely different. Armstrong once made comments about an Irish journalist who was digging into his past about the fact that the journalist's son had died because of a bicycle accident. He used that death to convince others that the journalist had a vendetta against cycling. The man is incredibly selfish and is only apologizing now because it benefits him in some way

But yeah I'd rather make this a positive thread about how great cycling is as a hobby, not about the wrong doings in the sport.:

Yeah he did some bad things however he says he did 09 drug free, so if that is the case he came 2nd in the tour which is great.

a hobby, not about the wrong doings in the sport. Well done cycling that distance, that's an incredible achievement! :thumbsup:
Thanks Im doing Dover to cape waith this summer because I loved lands end so much and I do suggest that every one travels from lands end to John o'groates at least once in there lifetime even if they drive it, as you will see some butiful places

Edit : sorry for lack of punctuation I'm on a ipad

Caractériel

Caractériel
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts
  • Joined May 14, 2010
  • 415 rep

I've always had an interest in Cycling, my dad is a cyclist and competed in national events so I was bought up around it. Wouldn't mind getting into it myself, but I'm not really fit enough yet, and lack the motivation to start :P

I watched the Armstrong interview, I'm surprised he admitted as much as he did, but it doesn't change how I feel about him. Some of the lengths he went to make sure he protected himself were extraordinary. I feel so sorry for all of the people that he bullied and even took to court, when all along they were right. I understand that to truly compete in the sport, doping is an attractive option, but that doesn't excuse what he did. He was a hero to so many people, and to think that it was all a lie is so sad. He should have just come clean when the accusations first started, would have saved himself a lot of grief.

Cath

Cath
  • stick it to the man

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,779 posts
  • Joined Nov 24, 2012
  • 4,075 rep

I used to pratice triathlon when I was younger and my parent bought me a competition bicyble. I regret it now cause I don't have the time anymore and I didnt use it in the last 2 years...

:S

Eva

Eva
  • Rebel Without a Car

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,171 posts
  • Joined Jun 09, 2011
  • 4,536 rep

I love bikes! I never ride mine though because my city isn't very bike friendly. I wish I could ride it around town and go places but the chances of being hit by a car are too high for my liking :(

Velocity

Velocity
  • The Diamond Church Street Choir

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,439 posts
  • Joined Feb 28, 2007
  • 750 rep

I haven't had much of a chance to go biking lately. I would ride my bike at college but I would be so afraid of getting hit by a car that I never actually do it  :pinch:

yeah, fuckin neil armstrong. playin the trumpet in green day doesn't justify lying and taking drugs.

yeah, even if he played the trumpet in green day on the moon

• fiercecircus likes this

fiercecircus

fiercecircus
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,584 posts
  • Joined Aug 21, 2011
  • 527 rep

lance armstrong = kind of an asshole about it. It would have been a lot easier if he'd just admitted it a lot sooner.

Though i would like to add that even if you DO take steroids, you still have to work hell of hard at your sport to succeed and maintain your gains, so i don't deny him that.

anyways i have a mountain bike that i love but it hasn't seen the light of day in years :(

Advertising

captain peroxide

captain peroxide
  • Unbowed. Unbent. Unbroken.

• 15,813 posts
  • Joined Feb 20, 2007
  • 6,463 rep
I watched the Armstrong interview, I'm surprised he admitted as much as he did, but it doesn't change how I feel about him. Some of the lengths he went to make sure he protected himself were extraordinary. I feel so sorry for all of the people that he bullied and even took to court, when all along they were right. I understand that to truly compete in the sport, doping is an attractive option, but that doesn't excuse what he did. He was a hero to so many people, and to think that it was all a lie is so sad. He should have just come clean when the accusations first started, would have saved himself a lot of grief.

LiveStrong has raised around $500,000,000 dollars for charity. I think he at the very least breaks even. Yes, what he did was wrong, but at the end of the day, he cheated at a sport and told a bunch of lies. Worse things have been done.

• frunsi likes this

November's Storms

November's Storms
  • Welcome to Paradise

• 10,673 posts
  • Joined Feb 09, 2010
  • 4,458 rep
I love bikes! I never ride mine though because my city isn't very bike friendly. I wish I could ride it around town and go places but the chances of being hit by a car are too high for my liking :(

Cylists in Dublin are a battle hardened folk :lol: The cycle lands are few and a lot of them that do exist are poor quality. It can be a little intimidating at first with buses whizzing past your ear but it's fun. I love cycling in the city, especially during rush hour. A car might fly by me and then a few minutes later I glide past while they're stuck in traffic. :happy: It's a good feeling.

Yeah he did some bad things however he says he did 09 drug free, so if that is the case he came 2nd in the tour which is great.
Thanks Im doing Dover to cape waith this summer because I loved lands end so much and I do suggest that every one travels from lands end to John o'groates at least once in there lifetime even if they drive it, as you will see some butiful places

That's very impressive! Do you do it for fun or part of a charity group or what?

alien97

alien97
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 138 rep

Cylists in Dublin are a battle hardened folk :lol: The cycle lands are few and a lot of them that do exist are poor quality. It can be a little intimidating at first with buses whizzing past your ear but it's fun. I love cycling in the city, especially during rush hour. A car might fly by me and then a few minutes later I glide past while they're stuck in traffic. :happy: It's a good feeling.

That's very impressive! Do you do it for fun or part of a charity group or what?

I don't really know why I do it , I just do it because not many people can say they did both lands end to John o'groates and Dover to cape wiath ( it's the other diagonal) before they were 16, comes a a price though as I did my nees in so was out of all sport for 4 months

Dirntbag

Dirntbag
  • Unsuspicious Individual

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,076 posts
  • Joined Jan 15, 2012
  • 2,868 rep

This is so embarrassing. There are too many Armstrongs in my life!

knhRczc.jpg

Anyway. I'm not really sure if he was on drugs or not but there does seem to be...something going on. Like he's not telling us a certain part of the story. How did he get through all his drug tests? People say he paid people off, but it just seems to fit too cleanly y'know? Maybe I'm in denial.

• November's Storms likes this

Juliette

Juliette
  • Wanderlust

• 9,107 posts
  • Joined May 04, 2007
  • 1,126 rep

I pretty much cycle everywhere these days, walking seems to take an eternity now :lol: I never used to cause Edinbugh is ridiculously hilly and unless you're quite fit it can be really tough going at points.

Daughter.of.Rage.and.Love

Daughter.of.Rage.and.Love
  • No, this is Patrick

• 30,767 posts
  • Joined Oct 23, 2008
  • 3,682 rep

I cycle everywhere that's within reasonable distance. I quite like it, though my bike is super shitty. I'm too frugal to get a new one though as long as this one doesn't fall apart :P And now it's a bit cold to cycle, it makes my ears very sad. 

Maddy.

Maddy.
  • i am groot

• 26,908 posts
  • Joined Jun 15, 2009
  • 7,441 rep

i cycle to school every day and there is nothing remotely nice about cycling except how it lets me eat more than if i didnt cycle 150 k's a week. and considering all me friends live in the hague, i have to cycle at least 7 k's to get to anyone's house. 

my front light has been broken for ever and yesterday this nice man who was cycling in the opposite direction (towards me) alerted me the police were checking lights and fining people because they're dicks. so that was a Nice Thing To Do and it made me happy. 

Trotsky

Trotsky
  • I sought my image in the scorching glass

• 29,526 posts
  • Joined Sep 23, 2006
  • 7,649 rep
Just going to say on the Lance Armstrong thing, some stories don't have a bastard and a victim, some stories just have bastards and more bastards.

The fact that he actually was doping doesn't mean the journalists and others he was clashing with in the past were actually following credible leads, moreover no one was acting with altruistic intentions.

People don't dig up doping scandals for some noble crusade of justice, they do it because scandals sell. They sell to people who never learn no matter how often they are "catfished" by celebrities who are all the same.

Every athlete is doping, every politician is fucking their intern, and every journalist wants to sell you the story even if they weren't.

My reaction to the Armstrong scandal: pity no one.

As for cycling, I quite enjoy mountain bikes. :)
  • captain peroxide likes this

November's Storms

November's Storms
  • Welcome to Paradise

• 10,673 posts
  • Joined Feb 09, 2010
  • 4,458 rep
Anyway. I'm not really sure if he was on drugs or not but there does seem to be...something going on. Like he's not telling us a certain part of the story. How did he get through all his drug tests? People say he paid people off, but it just seems to fit too cleanly y'know? Maybe I'm in denial.

He was on drugs. He's admitted it himself. And he was on even more drugs than he's willing to admit. There was a drugs test in the Tour de Swiss that he failed but apparently there was secret actions between him and the UCI (cycling management body) about covering it up.

Just going to say on the Lance Armstrong thing, some stories don't have a bastard and a victim, some stories just have bastards and more bastards.
The fact that he actually was doping doesn't mean the journalists and others he was clashing with in the past were actually following credible leads, moreover no one was acting with altruistic intentions.
People don't dig up doping scandals for some noble crusade of justice, they do it because scandals sell. They sell to people who never learn no matter how often they are "catfished" by celebrities who are all the same.
Every athlete is doping, every politician is fucking their intern, and every journalist wants to sell you the story even if they weren't.
My reaction to the Armstrong scandal: pity no one.

There are several people who are victims of this whole scandal and have my pity. Armstrong and his group bullied and brought people to court, often successfully for speaking out against him. Emma O'Reilly, Armstrong's former masseuse, came out about the whole operation and was successfully sued by Armstrong, as well as vilified in the media. He was noted at one point to have called her a whore at a press conference. I feel sorry for Betsy Andreu, fiancee of a fellow cyclist on Armstrong's team who suffered the same fate. I feel sorry for David Walsh and Paul Kimmage who were ostracized from the mainstream cycling media because of their stand against this issue before it was the popular thing to do. One of the two, I can't remember who, lost their job at The Times newspaper partly because of his outspoken stance. They were writing books and articles before that stuff was profitable or popular and I'm afraid I don't share your cynicism in this light. 

November's Storms

November's Storms
  • Welcome to Paradise

• 10,673 posts
  • Joined Feb 09, 2010
  • 4,458 rep

There's a great blog/series of videos called Cycling With, done by Dutch and Irish guys. You travel along with a different person each time while they talk about themselves, where they live and about cycling. I'm not sure why but I really love watching them! 

http://cyclingwith.com/

Caractériel

Caractériel
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts
  • Joined May 14, 2010
  • 415 rep

I watched the second part of the interview, and his arrogance is still prevalent.

“This may not be the most popular answer, but I think I deserve it. If I could go back to that time and say, ‘Ok, you’re trading my story for a six month suspension?’ Because that’s what people got.”

He's demonstrating the same manipulative arrogance that victimised so many people over the years. All those people he sued, because they knew the truth. The clips they played of him speaking in 2005, telling bare faced lies and even condemning other cyclists who were involved in doping, all to make sure they got off his back. He's a classic example of a total sociopath.

http://www.heraldsun...f-1226557304439

Here's a body language experts take on the interview. Interesting read.

I don't think anything more really needs to be said. Fuck this guy, and fuck his second chance. He revoked that right when he branded innocent people as liars, and used his power and influence to make himself a very rich man. Yes, he raised a lot of money for Livestrong, but he did so by conning the world into thinking he's some kind of legitimate hero, when all along he's a total fraud.

Requila

Requila
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Joined Aug 20, 2011
  • 385 rep

I love cycling. I actually worked as a paper-boy for more than a year back when I was 14. It was a great job in my opinion, had to deliver evening newspapers so I'd only had to deliver like 35 newspapers on weekdays and you could just cycle from house to house (instead of stopping at each house, which is quite more usual at such densely populated area's) and it made quite a lot of money for a 14-year-old.

oh and this pic is everywhere on the internet right now so i might as well share it here :lol:

9903u1.png

November's Storms

November's Storms
  • Welcome to Paradise

• 10,673 posts
  • Joined Feb 09, 2010
  • 4,458 rep

When I moved to Bratislava I eally wanted to take my bike with me but it was proving more hassle than it would have been worth. I'm so glad I didn't! It was snowing for the first 2 weeks here and the streets/drivers are not very bike friendly! Vienna on the other hand looks like a cyclists paradise :)

Miracless

Miracless
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Joined Jun 01, 2012
  • 222 rep

I cycle almost everywhere since I don't have any other vehicles. I love it especially at summer, and there's one more to my "why winter sucks"-list because I can't cycle at winter. :dry:

Katarina.

Katarina.
  • Wanderlust

• 25,997 posts
  • Joined Sep 27, 2007
  • 3,295 rep

I love it especially at summer, and there's one more to my "why winter sucks"-list because I can't cycle at winter. :dry:

This so much! :dry: I mean I still enjoy cycling in winter but only if there's no snow and it's not too cold outside. It's the opposite now.. unfortunately.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users