Expectations for the "Trilogy Tour"

Speechless & Redundant

Some notes about the crowds:

1) Let's not forget how popular Green Day was in 2004. Not only did they have a massive fan base, but also millions and millions of people worldwide developed obsessions with them. Everyone loved American Idiot. Everyone had sexual desires for Billie. Everyone was crazy about their music. Multiply the fangirl by millions, and you have a crowd of massively energetic people screaming and jumping around. Green Day had the teenagers and college kids in 2004. They don't now.

2) Green Day is nowhere as popular now as they used to be. The Trilogy is practically unknown outside of the fanbase, and so is the tour. At my concert this year, I noticed a very mature audience. Mainly hardcore fans and not many casual concert goers.

3) Although Billie is sober now, something seems different. The band sounds great and all, but energy is definitely missing. They seemed much more energetic pre-rehab, but even then something seemed off in the entertainment category. I can't put my finger on it.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some notes about the crowds:

1) Let's not forget how popular Green Day was in 2004. Not only did they have a massive fan base, but also millions and millions of people worldwide developed obsessions with them. Everyone loved American Idiot. Everyone had sexual desires for Billie. Everyone was crazy about their music. Multiply the fangirl by millions, and you have a crowd of massively energetic people screaming and jumping around. Green Day had the teenagers and college kids in 2004. They don't now.

2) Green Day is nowhere as popular now as they used to be. The Trilogy is practically unknown outside of the fanbase, and so is the tour. At my concert this year, I noticed a very mature audience. Mainly hardcore fans and not many casual concert goers.

3) Although Billie is sober now, something seems different. The band sounds great and all, but energy is definitely missing. They seemed much more energetic pre-rehab, but even then something seemed off in the entertainment category. I can't put my finger on it.

I don't get what you mean by the energy is missing?? I've seen videos from this tour and I see nothing but energy.

When and if am lucky to get to front of shows I jump around sing loud and freak out. But if I end up at the back I don't. Because nt everyone jumps around and you feel silly when you do or when you can heer yourself sing ( compared to the front where everyone is). So when am at the back I like to watch the show as a full. Listen to the sound. Watch the production and lights and the band on stage. Most shows like that I tend to remember more than ones where I was at the front and just remembers hands and heads bobbing around

You are so right. I have only been to one Green Day concert, and I was about three rows away from the stage. Whenever I think back to the concert, I remember the effort I had to make to stand my ground and all the screaming girls around me and how hot it was more than I remember the actual show. The one song I remember the most is Brutal Love because everyone just stood there and listened to it. Plus, not all of Green Day's fans are young, they don't all have the energy for that. My dad was at the show, he is 50, so he was not able to maintain high energy throughout the whole show. Yeah, it is nice to see everyone freak out, but we have to be realistic here, I think just hearing people sing along and stand around is good enough.

I think the pyro was always a good thing to "keep the audience alive" :/

Ah, god. They definitely need to keep Nuclear Family in the setlist. And maybe even add some more trilogy songs. I mean seriously, look at the fucking energy when they played it last night.

:o:runaround:

Nuclear Family is possibly their best live song ever. That was awesome

thanks for posting the Nuclear Family video i couldn't find it earlier. i agree that it's an awesome song live i hope they will keep in on the setlist for the next shows. :)

I think the pyro was always a good thing to "keep the audience alive" :/

Apparently the were hemorrhaging money from last tour's stage (pyro, screens, etc..) so they dropped it.

Any reason why they haven't played Dirty Rotten Bastards on tour yet?

no idea why. it would be badass.

Any reason why they haven't played Dirty Rotten Bastards on tour yet?

So far, they've only really chosen the singles and ones that they speed up to about 125% faster than on the albums, as if they want to rush through and get to the hits. Apparently a six minute trilogy song is too long ATM. Don't know why - it's in my top 5 all time GD songs

really though? i agree that something is different now, but it sure as hell isn't a lack of energy. i've had my fair share of complaints about this tour but that certainly isn't one of them. they all seem really happy to be back out there playing, they still jump around and go crazy and interact with the crowd just as much as they always have so i'm not really sure why you think energy is what's missing. there's not as much onstage banter between them and billie doesn't tell stories like he used to, and i miss that, but they'll figure it out.

The banter might be what I'm getting at. It felt more personal before. Now it's mainly just straight songs.

OMG !!!!! NUCLEAR FAMILY I must be dreaming. I never thought they would play it after lots of months !!!!

I really enjoyed that video as if I was there. I was raising my hands in the countdown so damn excited!! Come on guys keep that great song in your setlist and add more trilogy songs eventually.

I don't know if this has already been said, but despite the never-ending discussions about the setlists, what I find more discouraging is how the crowds behave in this tour shows. Maybe this has happened in all the tours and I am starting to notice it now, or maybe Green Day is starting to lose impact. Whatever may be the reason, I find that people in their shows are so fucking awful. If you see the videos of shows like Berkeley or Italy, it is painful to see that only the first 3 or 4 rows behave like they are in a rock concert.

I haven't found many videos with a good perspective of the audience, but this one is very clear about my point.

I know that usually the first rows dance, sing and freak out more than the rest, but the amount of people that seem to watch the show motionless or even IGNORING the stage and the band, kind of worries me. Again, I perfectly understand that each person enjoys music in his way, and probably many of those people are actually enjoying the show in their way, but I am unable to understand why so many people behave that way.

just watch the crowd go nuts at Rock am Ring festival in germany in early June ;) just search for the dude with green hair in the moshpit and you will recognize me :D

Also a bit odd why they don't have any big screens, especially for these big outdoor shows. I'm going to the Emirates and I'm sat pretty far away, hope I'll be able to see alright!

So far, they've only really chosen the singles and ones that they speed up to about 125% faster than on the albums, as if they want to rush through and get to the hits. Apparently a six minute trilogy song is too long ATM. Don't know why - it's in my top 5 all time GD songs

Jesus of Suburbia is a 9 minute song and they always play that on tour. And just imagine Mike Dirnt's epic Dirty Rotten Bastards bass solo played live!!!!

way to excited right now. seriously :o In the End, Having a Blast, Sassafras Roots, etc.. some haven't been played since 1994. :woot:

i'm expecting a full American Idiot soon. but i prefer a complete Dookie because y'know. AI is almost played every show and the songs aren't as rares as Dookie ones.

way to excited right now. seriously :o In the End, Having a Blast, Sassafras Roots, etc.. some haven't been played since 1994. :woot:

i'm expecting a full American Idiot soon. but i prefer a complete Dookie because y'know. AI is almost played every show and the songs aren't as rares as Dookie ones.

I wouldn't really care too much if they played AI in full. They did it a few times in 2004 and 2004 and we have recordings of most. If they do it in Australia, it would be a nice surprise though.

What i would prefer over a full Dookie would be a full Nimrod but i doubt. maybe in 2017 :P

I don't know why but I just have this feeling that London is gonna get DRB.

I think the Russia shows will be interesting too as they've never played there and possibly might not again. We'll have to wait and see.

that tour hides a lot of suprises :D i really want them to come back in Canada. we only had 2 dates

Archived