Kerplunk turns 21

Todd

Today, Kerplunk turns 21. It was Green Day's second album released in 1992 through Lookout Records. It was recorded in spring and fall of 1991.

Kerplunk facts:

The songs were tuned by ear, and are just below EB

As of August 2010, Kerplunk had sold 753,000 units in the US and 1,000,000 units worldwide

"My Adventure with Green Day" by Laurie L., featured in the Kerplunk booklet, is a poke at Larry Livermore, or Larry L.

2000 Light Years Away was written by Green Day, Jesse Michaels, Pete Rypins and Dave "E.C." Henwood. Jesse Michaels was the front man of Operation Ivy and did the cover art for 39/Smooth and Slappy. Dave was Green Day's drummer 87-88, and Pete Rypins was the bass player for bay area bands Crimpshrine and Tilt. (Mike used to often wear a Tilt shirt 1994). Billie and these guys jammed out the riff, so they were credited.

One for the Razorbacks is about a girl from Fayetteville, Arkansas, named Juliet

Christie Road was written for Billie's Girlfriend, Erica Paleno, and her mom. "'I would steal his notebooks, his lyric books,' she confesses. 'I still have them, but they're tucked away. There's the original version of 'Christie Road', which he wrote for my mom and me. It's about meeting him at the train tracks and sneaking out of the house because my mom didn't let me'"-Erica Paleno, when interviewed for Nobody Likes You by Marc Spitz

The back of the Kerplunk booklet thanks Billie's parents, Larry Livermore, John Kiffmeyer (their original drummer), Tim Armstrong of Operation Ivy and Rancid, Aaron Cometbus or Pinhead Gunpowder, Sean Hughes (GD's first bassist and Billie's close friend), James Washburn (GD's roadie who would beat up skinheads, nicknamed "Brainstew"), Adrienne Nesser (Billie's future wife), Jason Relva (JAR, Mike's close friend who died in a car accident), Pinhead Gunpowder, Kain Kong (The bassist of Tre's first band, The Lookouts), Amanda (Yes, THE Amanda), Tim Yohannan (924 Gilman's founder), Mrs. Fiataroni (Billie's piano teacher, Maria), Some guy named "Osama" (9-11?)

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

And that is my contribution for my favorite Green Day album. I hope you guys can contribute with some nice facts, and birthday wishes. Don't close this thread, because it took me like 30 minutes to read through all my shit and write this.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MY DEAR KERPLUNKY!!!!

And Sweet Children, Best Thing In Town, Strangeland, and My Generation aren't on Keplunk, so I don't want to hear shit about them.

(If I wanted a Sweet Children thread, I'd make one. And believe me, I want one!)

ChristieRoad_zps5eb9c8f9.jpg

ChristieRoad1_zpse1d104d5.jpg

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest RedStrokes

HAPPY FUCKING BIRTHDAY KERPLUNK. YOU'RE OLD ENOUGH TO DRINK, CELEBRATE BY GETTING HAMMERED WITH DOOKIE AND NIMROD.

who doesn't love kerplunk?

And "my adventure with green day" is also a treat. A somewhat psychotic treat, but still a treat.

I fucking love this album so much. Paper Lanterns is the best song Green Day ever wrote.

Paper Lanterns isn't on Kerplunk, get it right man!

Guest RedStrokes
I fucking love this album so much. Paper Lanterns is the best song Green Day ever wrote.
Uh oh.............. We got a fuck up in the house! Kidding ;) but yeah wrong album dude

That's awesome but Paper Lanterns is on Slappy dude

2000 Light Years Away

Christie Road

One For The Razorbacks

No One Knows

Who Wrote Holden Caufield?

Welcome To Paradise

Private Ale

Sweet Children

Actually I love this album (apart from a bit songs)

And it's

Dookie

Insomniac

Trilogy (I think i could easily get Trilogy-Dookie-Insomniac, let's see)

American Idiot

21st Century Breakdown

Kerplunk

NImrod

Warning

1039 SOSH

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KERPLUNK!

I had no idea today was Kerplunk's birthday :mellow:

Kind of weird, because I had a dream I found it on vinyl for a dollar last night...

Happy Birthday Kerplunk! :D

I love this album, my fav songs are:

2000 Light Years Away

Who Wrote Holden Caulfield?

Christie Road

One for the Razorbacks

No One Knows

One of my favorite Green Day albums!! Happy 21st Birthday Kerplunk!! :banana:

I remember back in 1994 when my sister went into a record store to get the Green Day album everyone was talking about (Dookie), but accidentally walked out with Kerplunk, which stores began selling after Green Day hit the spotlight. She soon discovered that the Kerplunk cassette tape was not what she intended to buy and it quickly fell into my hands, thus becoming the first Green Day album I ever listened to and owned. I was 8 years old at the time.

18 years of Green Day fandom!

Wow, crazy to think that Kerplunk is old enough to buy itself a drink now... This holds as my favorite Green Day album. It's the first one to show Billie's strength as a songwriter and has that raw energy of the early days. I love the stripped down nature of it!

Happy 21st Kerplunk. When I first bought it a year or so after I got into Green Day, it stuck out instantly. I love the youthful, raw sound from Lookout! days, but this wins over 39/smooth. I used to play more of this album on guitar than any of the others, going nuts in my room :lol:

Favourite <3

It's also me and my girlfriend's one month anniversary.

Happy 21st Birthday to the Green Day album closest to my heart!

They grow up so fast!

:cry:

Get wasted, Kerplunk!

Archived