Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Gun Control Proposals

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Vesper

Vesper
  • Sand Snake

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,790 posts
  • Joined Jun 10, 2010
  • 6,493 rep

http://www.bbc.co.uk...canada-21049942

Thoughts?

VIVALAWHATSHERNAME

VIVALAWHATSHERNAME
  • Little One

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Joined Dec 15, 2012
  • 115 rep

No one's going to take your guns, America has the most guns in the world anyway, and I doubt that's going to ever change. It's utter ludicrous to think otherwise. I strongly support the 2nd amendment  but most of my fellow gun supports are just unnecessarily paranoid.

Thisnamehasnoreason

Thisnamehasnoreason
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • Joined Mar 11, 2011
  • 97 rep

theres gunna be a redneck cival war

Matt.

Matt.
  • Pump Ass

• 5,709 posts
  • Joined Oct 17, 2006
  • 3,567 rep

Surprisingly, I agree with his plan of action and his recommendations to congress.

But this whole debate has been blown way out of proportion.  No one is going take anyone's guns away.

• VIVALAWHATSHERNAME likes this

Fuzz

Fuzz
  • Professional Cocksmith

• 37,944 posts
  • Joined May 28, 2004
  • 14,834 rep

I like all the suggestions. I was a bit worried they might get heavy-handed with violent video games and movies, which I think is pointless (considering these games are available in many other countries that see much less violence that we in America do). But all they did was put some money aside for the CDC can look into how violent games affect (or encourage) actual violence. I think that's a fair middle ground.

Also I'm perfectly fine with getting rid of all assault-style weapons and lowering the clip capacity. They're only needed for fun, no group is going to overthrow the government with some semi-automatic guns. So if we can make them a little safer by lowering the clip size and making sure they stay far away from people who shouldn't have them, I'm cool with it. 

I also like the focus on mental health. That's definitely something that is at the root of the problem.

• VIVALAWHATSHERNAME likes this

Céadóg

Céadóg
  • Fucking say it

• 16,699 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 18,121 rep

BOOO GUNS

down_with_this_sort_of_thing.jpg

Don't know if I can handle another thread on this after the intensity of the last one :P

Guest_As Good As It Gets_*

Guest_As Good As It Gets_*
  • Joined --
  • 0 rep

One of those things you can't really argue with unless you're insane or selfish

Good to hear that Obama is pushing it a little more - I hope he takes on the NRA full throttle, and wins over their cold dead hands, to borrow one of their little catchphrases

Lady Nightlife

Lady Nightlife
  • Always You, Never A Replacement

• 10,584 posts
  • Joined Dec 29, 2012
  • 9,984 rep

These new rules are actually quite ridiculous. I live in NYS, which just passed a very restrictive "assault weapons" ban. The ban says that if your AR-15 has one or more features (such as a pistol grip, flash suppressor, folding stock, etc.) it needs to be registered and you can't buy them anymore, and if your magazine holds more than 7 rounds, you're only permitted to put 7 rounds in at a time. I had a chat with my county sheriff about it, and he said that there is absolutely nothing about the add-ons that are now banned that make the gun more dangerous. He also said that he fully expects zero criminals to abide by the restriction of only putting 7 rounds in their magazine, and he is frankly not going to waste time enforcing a law that he sees as useless. That's what is probably going to happen with any other gun bans - most law enforcement agencies do not have the resources and extra time to go around enforcing these restrictions, so they're just going to be ignored. Why pass a law that's going to be useless?

Vesper

Vesper
  • Sand Snake

• 17,790 posts
  • Joined Jun 10, 2010
  • 6,493 rep

These new rules are actually quite ridiculous. I live in NYS, which just passed a very restrictive "assault weapons" ban. The ban says that if your AR-15 has one or more features (such as a pistol grip, flash suppressor, folding stock, etc.) it needs to be registered and you can't buy them anymore, and if your magazine holds more than 7 rounds, you're only permitted to put 7 rounds in at a time. I had a chat with my county sheriff about it, and he said that there is absolutely nothing about the add-ons that are now banned that make the gun more dangerous. He also said that he fully expects zero criminals to abide by the restriction of only putting 7 rounds in their magazine, and he is frankly not going to waste time enforcing a law that he sees as useless. That's what is probably going to happen with any other gun bans - most law enforcement agencies do not have the resources and extra time to go around enforcing these restrictions, so they're just going to be ignored. Why pass a law that's going to be useless?

Because it's a start? 

• Céadóg likes this

Lady Nightlife

Lady Nightlife

• 10,584 posts
  • Joined Dec 29, 2012
  • 9,984 rep

Because it's a start? 

A start that a majority of sheriffs in New York State say is useless and unenforceable? Isn't much of one. We'd be MUCH better served focusing on mental health.  I work with several mentally ill people as part of my job, and it's a crying shame that the best we can do for them is bounce them from hospital to hospital, let them sit in jail for assaults, robberies, etc. until they get back on a regular medication course, or sit back and watch their families struggle to deal with their problems.

Vesper

Vesper
  • Sand Snake

• 17,790 posts
  • Joined Jun 10, 2010
  • 6,493 rep

A start that a majority of sheriffs in New York State say is useless and unenforceable? Isn't much of one. We'd be MUCH better served focusing on mental health.  I work with several mentally ill people as part of my job, and it's a crying shame that the best we can do for them is bounce them from hospital to hospital, let them sit in jail for assaults, robberies, etc. until they get back on a regular medication course, or sit back and watch their families struggle to deal with their problems.

Eh. I've been through this so many times now and there's no way you're going to be able to convince me that gun control is a bad thing. Maybe if the sherriffs got up off their arses and did try to enforce the law then it would be a start. Yes focus on mental health by all means, but have the legislation in place that reduces the potential for armament and weaponry to be in such wide circulation. 

• Céadóg likes this

Lady Nightlife

Lady Nightlife

• 10,584 posts
  • Joined Dec 29, 2012
  • 9,984 rep

Eh. I've been through this so many times now and there's no way you're going to be able to convince me that gun control is a bad thing. Maybe if the sherriffs got up off their arses and did try to enforce the law then it would be a start. Yes focus on mental health by all means, but have the legislation in place that reduces the potential for armament and weaponry to be in such wide circulation. 

The problem is, the sheriffs don't have the wherewithal to enforce this new law. I understand the thinking behind trying to lower the amount of guns in circulation, but a rush to ban guns is not going to have the widespread positive effect gun-ban supporters imagine it will. The actual enforcement of these laws is devilishly difficult, and a HUGE drain on law enforcement resources.  

Vesper

Vesper
  • Sand Snake

• 17,790 posts
  • Joined Jun 10, 2010
  • 6,493 rep

The problem is, the sheriffs don't have the wherewithal to enforce this new law. I understand the thinking behind trying to lower the amount of guns in circulation, but a rush to ban guns is not going to have the widespread positive effect gun-ban supporters imagine it will. The actual enforcement of these laws is devilishly difficult, and a HUGE drain on law enforcement resources.  

Now you're beginning to talk sense. But I think it should at least be given a go. It's like being a doctor and saying you're not going to try the new cancer drug because there will always be more cancer. Things should at least be tried. 

Lady Nightlife

Lady Nightlife

• 10,584 posts
  • Joined Dec 29, 2012
  • 9,984 rep

Now you're beginning to talk sense. But I think it should at least be given a go. It's like being a doctor and saying you're not going to try the new cancer drug because there will always be more cancer. Things should at least be tried. 

I try to talk sense at least 95% of the time ;) 

I'm curious, what do you think of the statistics that show higher violent crime rates in cities with more restrictive gun policies? I'm NOT trying to stick it to you here, I am genuinely curious as to a gun-control supporter's take on those stats. 

Vesper

Vesper
  • Sand Snake

• 17,790 posts
  • Joined Jun 10, 2010
  • 6,493 rep

I try to talk sense at least 95% of the time ;)

I'm curious, what do you think of the statistics that show higher violent crime rates in cities with more restrictive gun policies? I'm NOT trying to stick it to you here, I am genuinely curious as to a gun-control supporter's take on those stats. 

I had not heard that statistic. May I ask where you heard it/got to from? Also with regards to that, social mobility is hardly difficult these days alongside the fact that in America so many people may have gun before such measures were put in place. I do not believe a gun keeps you safe. I believe working towards a world with fewer armaments and weapons keeps us safe. 

Advertising

Trotsky

Trotsky
  • I sought my image in the scorching glass

• 29,144 posts
  • Joined Sep 23, 2006
  • 7,144 rep

A city isn't an airport, there's no checkpoint that stops someone from carrying an illicit gun (or a legally purchased gun more of the time) into a city's borders. The guns in Chicago aren't sold in Chicago, they're sold in Indiana and Missouri and put in the car, they are mainly suffering from a trafficking epidemic. 

Lady Nightlife

Lady Nightlife

• 10,584 posts
  • Joined Dec 29, 2012
  • 9,984 rep

This is a Harvard study of international and some American data regarding gun ownership and crime rates.

http://www.law.harva...auseronline.pdf

Here's a link to an article analyzing and summarizing the study...

http://theacru.org/a...nterproductive/

A city isn't an airport, there's no checkpoint that stops someone from carrying an illicit gun (or a legally purchased gun more of the time) into a city's borders. The guns in Chicago aren't sold in Chicago, they're sold in Indiana and Missouri and put in the car, they are mainly suffering from a trafficking epidemic. 

You're right, John. But, now we run into the problem that most pro-gun people have with gun control laws, which is that they only affect law-abiding citizens, as your example of Chicago clearly shows.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users