Has Green Day ever truly 'sold out'?

musso_kn

They accepted money to make the music better. I'd say they sold out, but I wouldn't say it's a bad thing that they did.

This is why I hate punks.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This isn't towards you OP (musso_kn), but who cares? I honestly don't understand why people are turned off to a band just because they think they "sold out," whatever that even means. Someone should be turned off to a band simply because they don't like their music.

It just blows my mind.

Guest RedStrokes
You consider Nightlife to be radio friendly? With lyrics like: Cheap champagne stain on a even cheaper suit Hope there's more in your pants than a bus route and Baby girl coco dancing the cooch One hand on my knee one hand on the hooch There isn't any curse words but still, I wouldn't tag this as radio friendly. Stuff like When I Come Around, Redundant, Good Riddance, Westbound Sign is the most radio friendly stuff they've done. I think you just made my point for me. Lil Wayne is radio friendly. There are the same type of style except not quite as well written

even an underground band is paid for his music...or an artist...or whatelse...so everyone is sold out :P however i don't care...i love them anyway

and why should it matter if a band has sold out if you're not the band or involved with the band personally?

I feel I need to re iterate something.

MUSICALLY, I too agree that Green Day evolved and didn't sell out. They deserve all the grammys and albums sales they've got for that reason. I was really more after what you thought about the commercial behaviours ie the broadway musical, the guest appearance on the voice.

The only "sell out" thing I can really think of is appearing on a Twilight soundtrack but that was kind of a last resort for promotion after Billie went into rehab so I won't hold it against them.

And I guess some people might consider the Rock Band video game to be a sell out move but I can't complain. I love that game. (Just wish my Xbox wasn't broken so I could still play it)

and why should it matter if a band has sold out if you're not the band or involved with the band personally?

Like I said the music is, on the whole, as sincere and credible as always. I just wonder whether the commercial add ons that the band have become involved are excessive and, dare I say it, a money making scheme.

Maybe when "Good Riddance" was played just about everywhere in 1998?

Do you think so? I was too young to remember, but I thought it was one of the most honest thing the band ever wrote, definitely not an attempt to appeal to the masses.

Maroon 5 are sellouts. Coldplay are sellouts. The All-American Rejects are sellouts.... They changed their style so they could become more famous.

Green Day just had a natural change in their style. American Idiot musically is a wonderful evolution, and the eyeliners and clothing and stuff are part of the message that album had. Since then, in 21CB and trilogy, it has just been a continuation of their evolution.

The Voice and the Broadway thing may be discussable, but who fucking cares? They have never done anything to desperately earn more money. They have just done everything they fucking want (The Network, Foxboro Hot Tubs, a trilogy of albums, be part of a John Lennon tribute, etc.)

If that made money, it's just because they are a good band and they create awesome music.

As Eddie Vedder would say: "It's evolution baby!"

Move on people. Enjoy the music. Enjoy one of the most important bands right now. Enjoy Green Day.

Cheers.

Guest RedStrokes
Maybe when "Good Riddance" was played just about everywhere in 1998?
Yeah, that too. But good riddance is a fucking great, down to earth song, so that's excused.

I don't get this. You don't only have to be a "punk" band to sell out. Anybody can sell out. Green Day did. Whether that's "good" or "bad" is up to you.

When exactly did you start to think they sold out?

Like I said the music is, on the whole, as sincere and credible as always. I just wonder whether the commercial add ons that the band have become involved are excessive and, dare I say it, a money making scheme.

Do you think so? I was too young to remember, but I thought it was one of the most honest thing the band ever wrote, definitely not an attempt to appeal to the masses.

well my post wasnt really directed as your just in general

i will say they kinda sold out in some sense like concert prices and merchendise prices are way too high than most bands and the label doesnt handle those aspect for them so it's not the label doing...

I don't think it was intentional, and it was probably as punk rock as they could have been--y'know, not doing what everyone expects you to do--but the thing was that it was played at the end of TV shows (Seinfeld), graduations, and it made Green Day a band that was played on Adult Contemporary radio stations.

I'd like to come with an argument about why but I don't feel like it, I know what I think and I don't give a rats ass about all those fucking negative overanalytic fuckers. Plus, many people have allready said some good things so i won't bother.

I hate the term "selling out" anyway because 99% of the time it's used by perpetually butthurt fans that are angry about 'their' band going on to bigger and better things. iirc, the album that got Green Day signed to Reprise was Kerplunk, they then went there and made Dookie. They're musically and lyrically very similar, the only difference was one of the albums sold in the hundreds of thousands, and the other in the tens of millions.

Jumping ship is indeed considered by many as 'selling out', but I don't really care what they think because they're morons tbh

What is "selling out" anyway? Making money? Of course! That's why we get jobs right? I mean, all those punk bands that "86ed" Green Day I think are jealous. Everyone who wants to be a musician has dreams of making millions and becoming a rock star. When they can't do it or aren't talented enough, they get pissed at other bands who CAN and call them sellouts.

You think if any of those bands who played at Gilman were offered millions of dollars they wouldn't take it???? Of course they would!

I bet you ANYTHING that Rancid called Green Day "sellouts" until they got a call from the major label and they enjoyed the free ride Green Day gave the "new punk" era in the mid-90's. Same with Offspring.

People say that selling out means that bands need to be in the business for the music. What, they don't think Green Day did that???? They didn't put out AI for anything but the music. Remember, AI came out at the peak of the Iraq War where it was very touchy what you said about the war, America, and George W. Bush. Remember what happened to the Dixie Chicks???

You think 21CB had all radio friendly songs? Of course not! It's not my favorite CD, but MUSICALLY it was amazing! That's why Green Day is so popular.

I think "sell out" is a ridiculous phrase made by people who would give their left arm to have one night of notoriety, fame, and money that the people they call "sellouts" have.

I agree on the definition - selling out means creating or changing your music for profit. And I don't see any point in the band's long history where this has been the case. Granted, there are a few songs on the 21st century records which feel like they were written to be 'hits' rather than regular songs (eg. AI, KYE, 21G, KTDJ), but this is far from selling out.

Did you hear what's on the radio nowadays? If they start throwing synths, electronic drum beats and 3 word songs THAT'S SELLING OUT

How the hell is there even a topic about this?! o.o

People who have doubts about it can't even be considered Green Day fans! The ones who really know them obviously know that they didn't "sell out" and they never will o.o

The whole notion of selling out, or at least how it's most commonly used, is complete and utter hogwash. Green Day never compromised their musical integrity to make a buck, everything they've ever done has followed a completely natural progression. Endorsements and merchandising have become more important because of declining record sales across the board, but unfortunately they're not in charge of that. And Green Day is legacy band now, they're as much of brand as they are a band. It comes with the territory.

What is "selling out" anyway? Making money? Of course! That's why we get jobs right? I mean, all those punk bands that "86ed" Green Day I think are jealous. Everyone who wants to be a musician has dreams of making millions and becoming a rock star. When they can't do it or aren't talented enough, they get pissed at other bands who CAN and call them sellouts.

You think if any of those bands who played at Gilman were offered millions of dollars they wouldn't take it???? Of course they would!

I bet you ANYTHING that Rancid called Green Day "sellouts" until they got a call from the major label and they enjoyed the free ride Green Day gave the "new punk" era in the mid-90's. Same with Offspring.

People say that selling out means that bands need to be in the business for the music. What, they don't think Green Day did that???? They didn't put out AI for anything but the music. Remember, AI came out at the peak of the Iraq War where it was very touchy what you said about the war, America, and George W. Bush. Remember what happened to the Dixie Chicks???

You think 21CB had all radio friendly songs? Of course not! It's not my favorite CD, but MUSICALLY it was amazing! That's why Green Day is so popular.

I think "sell out" is a ridiculous phrase made by people who would give their left arm to have one night of notoriety, fame, and money that the people they call "sellouts" have.

That is not true at all. The bands never called each other sellouts. Only the scene did. I recommend you find a copy online of One Nine Nine Four. Even independent bands like Rancid and The Offspring were called sell outs because they made money in 1994-95. The bands stood together, it's only the boneheaded public and fans that made the noise; any band that tried to really stick solely with the scene died out. The bands welcomed public success because it means getting a larger fanbase, the fans however decided to be selfish.

How the hell is there even a topic about this?! o.o

People who have doubts about it can't even be considered Green Day fans! The ones who really know them obviously know that they didn't "sell out" and they never will o.o

There's a topic about this because there's nothing wrong or contradictory about questioning the behaviour of a band whose music you love. Yet there's also nothing wrong with making millions from what you enjoy doing. Hearing about Green Day the media gives me some of the greatest pleasure. I don't care if they become stupidly popular; it means people agree with my musical taste. I believe, like many people here, that Green Day's music has evolved for the best. I just feel the extras are at times distracting from the music itself.

Archived