Has Green Day ever truly 'sold out'?

musso_kn

No, not really, But I think Billie may have purposely written songs like Amy, to gain a bit of attention. Just little changes here and there to sell more I think, but not a lot, and that doesn't mean they aren't good songs and I wouldn't consider that to be 'truly' selling out.

If you want bands that sold out look Maroon 5, the rest of them don't even do anything now they just have pop beats in the background while the singer sings cheesy pop songs, like Moves Like Jagger, Pay-phone, One More Night etc. and another one Good Charlotte, first he's singing about his school and stuff, then sings about life, girlfriends and fame, then out of nowhere starts making songs about what he's wearing, and hangovers and shit.

how is Maroon 5 sell outs? they never once claimed to be underground or have a anti establishment mentallty Adam Levine has always been open bout making it in music "by any means" they arent sell outs lol

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well for the Gilman Punk community they did but a band has to do whatever they can to be big

I wasn't talking about you specifically with that "kids in diapers" example. I was referring to other people on this site who have used that phrase against me during a discussion."

That was me. You insinuated, condescendingly, that I never listened to Dookie and I replied with "Kid, I was listening to Dookie while you were still in diapers, maybe before you were even born." I spoke nothing but the truth.

That was me. You insinuated, condescendingly, that I never listened to Dookie and I replied with "Kid, I was listening to Dookie while you were still in diapers, maybe before you were even born." I spoke nothing but the truth.

I wasn't saying that you hadn't listened to Dookie. I was merely implying that there was another side to the argument that was being made. If it came off as condescending then so be it.

I wasn't talking about you specifically with that "kids in diapers" example. I was referring to other people on this site who have used that phrase against me during a discussion. And you did say "living through history is better than reading about it".

Right. You misquoted me when you said I told you to "read through history". Cuz that DOES come across as sounding "assholy" and I don't want to come across like that, bro.

It's all good, man. I'm not mad.

some people think the reason why they decided to release 3CD's instead of 2 who contains more songs was to make more money.
And then there's the Twilight soundtrack. Mike said that they accepted to be a part of the soundtrack because the bands and music they choose for theirs movies are really good and they were honored to be asked for this. And with the trilogy, they decided to separate this in three because it was a kind of concept (how Billie explained it in Quatro) and that they enjoy writing and doing music so why not 3 albums?

They will always be truth to themselves and playing music because its their passion.

They never sold out because they never claimed to be some shining image of punk. They just did what they want, and when it was acceptable they were considered cool, but when doing what they want became less cool, they were labeled sell outs and faggots. Whatever.

I agree with this. I understand that they made some questionable choices in their career, but the one thing that they have always stayed true to themselves in is the music, and that's all I care about. As long as they're true to themselves, I will ALWAYS support them.

They sold out to their old fans, if they didn't sign to a major label, we won't even know who is Green Day and we will probably don't listen to their music.

Well first let's start with the definition of "Selling Out".

My definition of "Selling Out" is doing anything possible for money..Such as changing your music.

I don't believe Green Day changes their music for money, that is what makes me like them so much..

If they changed their music for money,they would be making music for Disney or something like that,but I personally think they don't.

Since their is not truly a "set" limit to determine whether someone sells out or not,I can only the extreme is doing Cereal Commercials,or promoting Kid's shows.If anyone hits that point,They truly sell out.

Anyways though,I don't think if they wanted to sell out,That they would even be able to.

Sure their success with Dookie made them famous,but not "NSYNC Famous" or anything like that,They were famous for Dookie,and then vanished from Mainstream popularity until the release of "American Idiot" and later the singles from "21st Century Breakdown".

If they tried their hardest to sell out,Even doing the things I listed above,I believe they wouldn't be able,because I believe their not the band to stay in high popularity long enough to sell out.. (Especially now,since the boys are 40 years old with Families,and mainstream popularity bases off of Sex appeal most of the time.)

MAn I saw some whack ass opinions in this thread. Even though several said "ask anyone what selling out is and you'll get a different answer", I saw the same answer over and over. Maybe I'm crazy, but I think it's actually agreed on what "selling out" is and by almost every definition I've heard this band has NOT sold out. The only definitions I've heard that actually make it seem like Green Day sold out are from the people who are just intentionally knocking this group, and change their definition to try and fit them.

Really, I don't think they've sold out. Not in any way that I've actually been all "what the fuck?!" aside from Twilight. Of course, major labels have drawbacks, that being one.

MAn I saw some whack ass opinions in this thread. Even though several said "ask anyone what selling out is and you'll get a different answer", I saw the same answer over and over. Maybe I'm crazy, but I think it's actually agreed on what "selling out" is and by almost every definition I've heard this band has NOT sold out. The only definitions I've heard that actually make it seem like Green Day sold out are from the people who are just intentionally knocking this group, and change their definition to try and fit them.

Really, I don't think they've sold out. Not in any way that I've actually been all "what the fuck?!" aside from Twilight. Of course, major labels have drawbacks, that being one.

Sensei comin' in and tellin' truths.

aside from Twilight. Of course, major labels have drawbacks, that being one.

Which Green Day did on their own... Warner doesn't own the name Green Day if Green Day didn't want to be apart they would simply said no and it wouldn't been on the soundtrack

Which Green Day did on their own... Warner doesn't own the name Green Day if Green Day didn't want to be apart they would simply said no and it wouldn't been on the soundtrack

Really, the Twilight thing didn't bother me that much. I hate Twilight and was taken aback, but lots of bands have had their songs on famous soundtracks, it isn't that big of a deal. On the other hand, if My Chemical Romance can refuse...

Really, the Twilight thing didn't bother me that much. I hate Twilight and was taken aback, but lots of bands have had their songs on famous soundtracks, it isn't that big of a deal. On the other hand, if My Chemical Romance can refuse...

it's up to the artists Green Day could easily have said no and it wouldn't been in the movie nor soundtrack when the news hit i remember alot of folks bitching bout it my thing was if you dont wanna buy the soundtrack then dont buy it no one is forcing them to buy it

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I once visited a record store that was all out of American Idiot copies. All sold out.

As for the actual subject at hand, lending your existing song for a movie soundtrack is in no way or shape selling out. If they'd written it specifically for Twilight and only with the requirements Twilight provided for that hypothetical song, then yes, I could understand why people'd say "sellouts". But that's not the case so no that's not selling out.

And I don't think they've ever sold out. They've never changed their ethics or music just to get money from a third party.

Maybe a little, but not really. Billie has said it best: they had nowhere else to go after Kerplunk but up. Most bands criticize them because they never have been, nor will be, in that position.

Just remember, the Sex Pistols were formed with the sole intent of making money off of offensive music :thumbsup:

Who cares? Does it really affect you that much what they decide to do with their music? They still make the music THEY want to and takes risks (especially with releasing 3 albums like this)..

And uhm.. with things like Angry Birds and Twilight... is it really that bad that they want more people to hear their music?

No, not really, But I think Billie may have purposely written songs like Amy, to gain a bit of attention.

I think you are wrong.. maybe you should read some interviews where Billie talks about this

If you were offered to sign to a major label and make millions, would you? I sure would...as for making a musical, how exactly is that "selling out"? They do what they want.

"We make music for ouselves, if anyone else likes it, that's great." - Mike Dirnt

Sold Out? Are you fucking kidding me? Is this a fucking joke?

iam sure nobody cares what iam writing but anyways:

They write their own music and they write what the wanna write and thats it.

ohh.. they get money for being musicians?! you call that selling out? google it first......

Look at Maroon5's newest album... THATS a fucking "sold out" thing. Get a bunch of people to write songs for you to surf on that "Moves like jagger" wave... THAT SUCKS!!

Really? :o

yes. have a look at the ticket sale for austria, vienna. the prizes are ridiculous... i think its over 80 euros for the front of stage area. singing songs critisizing the form of capitlismn we have, this one of the most capitalist moves you can make as a band. people with money -> better concert experience. fuck that.

btw, i could afford it if i wanted. but that is something i just don't want to support. excluding some of your biggest and faithful fans from seeing you close. i really hope the tickets sale will be a disaster. does them right.

p.s.: no one here is critisizing the major label deal. to me it was tolerable what they did up to the 21stcbd promotion.... it got a bit to much here. but still: prizes for shows were really cheap and they made the impression they still know where they come from and respect their fans (i know they lost money during the tour... ok then fuck the shitty pyro and all those effects nobody needs and raise prizes reasonable, but not by 100%). during the trilogy they made the impression of old cliché rockstars... something they were always against. but i give them a chance... maybe they reconsider what they are doing at the moment.

p.p.s.: im tired of you 12 year olds (or 12 years in your mind) thinking somebody critisizing some moves of green day is critiszing they make money with their music. nobody is! educate yourselfs and shut the fuck up.

Archived