Favorite album lyrically?

PursuitOfEpicness

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My most favorite album lyrically is 1,039/Smooth out slappy hours! the album has some of the most relatable lyrics Billie Joe has written.

Ii´s hard but i love Kerplunk, american idiot and ¡TRÉ!, i really love the lyrics of those albums

• 4 months later...

They are all great in different ways and it all depends on that you wanna hear. If you want deep lyrics, I think that 21CB is the right choice for you, if you are stoned you'll probably like Insomniac, if you're in love, listen to iUno!, and if you want bad lyrics, just don't listen to Green Day x)

Insomniac and Warning. Tre is up there as well due to how personal and epic the songs are on that album.

Insomniac and Warning definately " seasons change as well as minds and I'm a two faced clown, you're mommys Little nightmare driving daddy's car around" beautiful....

I really like Warning's lyrics. They are just so packed with statements it's great. True poetry in that album in my opinion.

"Warning: Live without warning" actually meant so much to me, cause to me it was like he was saying like, "Here's some advise, don't take advice..."

"It's not what you make it's what you leave"

" 'Trust' is a dirty word that comes only from such a lair, but 'respect' is something I will earn if you faith"

"Your oldest allies are your long lost enemies"

"I'm thinking about a brand new hope, the one I've never known, but now I know it's all that I wanted"

I dunno, those were just lyrics that I think are worth noting from that album and I can relate to.

I could easily say an album like Warning had the best lyrics, but I'll shamelessly admit that those sappy angst songs off 1039/smooth and Kerplunk affected me the most. I just really enjoy the passion of hearing the lyrics from early recordings of Pasalacqua or something. Every time in Who Wrote Holden Caulfield, I hear Billie say "....I think I just forgot" I get a little excited.

For me it would have to be American Idiot. Why? Well i guess I guess i was reaching an age where i started to give a shit about what they were talking about on the album yknow the political climate post 9/11 and Bush. Im not American but it still resinated. The world had changed and they captured that brilliantly and for me it opened my eyes a bit more to what was actually going on in the world. It just blew me away the honesty the hatred the intensity.

Insomniac-so passionate and pissed off, but very eloquent in its hatred. Nimrod- some songs so full of regret, loss and resignation, the narrator is balanced on a fine line between the anger and disdain exhibited in youth, and the gradual realization that he is growing up and that life is changing in ways that he may not always like. Balance this with American Idiot- an album so completely representative of its time and the outcome of existing in our society in this fucked up world of ours....... To me these albums and their songs are very reflective of my life. I am continually in awe of the range of emotions and concepts, as well as the cleverness and sharpness in the words used to express these ideas and feelings.

Whew....... That' s it for now!

American Idiot, Insomniac, Nimrod

I think each album has it's strong points lyrically, and its weak ones. Sometimes Im just like woah, thats beautiful :) and other times Im like..really? thats all you came up with? :P

Like most, I have to give it to American Idiot for the best. The lyrics in City of the Damned in JoS get me every time.

21stCB has some great lyrics too; Viva La Gloria is probably my personal favorite for that.

And while I agree it's not their strongest lyrical work, I do love Tre. Brutal Love and certain parts in Dirty Rotten Bastards ("Call all demons, this is the season/next stop is therapy") are great in my opinion.

1. American Idiot

2. 21st Century Breakdown

3. Warning

And no, I'm not just saying this because they're my top three GD albums. :P

This is stupid but being the sad, pathetic person I am I can't get enough of 1039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours! Especially the 1000 Hours EP! Strange, considering Billie's songwriting hadn't really matured yet. Favourite song is Dry Ice!

Archived