Favorite album lyrically?

PursuitOfEpicness

Yeah you guys are kind of like me. One of the reasons that i can't get into the Trilogy much is because I know Billie is so much more capable of writing stronger lyrics. A lot of people defend "Lazy Bones" but eh "I'm too tired to be more i'm to bored to be tired" doesn't really get me haha.

And you're right, they're pretty repetitive that can get annoying too. There are some songs i think that do have great lyrics (for example: DRB, 99 Revolutions is awesome except the redundantness it's kind of like okay we get it, and I love Amy), but most just overall aren't that great. It wouldn't bug me if it was like a new NOFX album or something but one of the best things about Green Day is Billie's (and sometimes company's) songwriting. Kind of disappointing really hope their next album isn't just about lust and thrust.

Oh man this. Everyone always berates this song's chorus, and I find myself dumbstruck that nobody has ever heard the verses. They're are fucking excellent.

THANK YOU!

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah you guys are kind of like me. One of the reasons that i can't get into the Trilogy much is because I know Billie is so much more capable of writing stronger lyrics. A lot of people defend "Lazy Bones" but eh "I'm too tired to be more i'm to bored to be tired" doesn't really get me haha.

And you're right, they're pretty repetitive that can get annoying too. There are some songs i think that do have great lyrics (for example: DRB, 99 Revolutions is awesome except the redundantness it's kind of like okay we get it, and I love Amy), but most just overall aren't that great. It wouldn't bug me if it was like a new NOFX album or something but one of the best things about Green Day is Billie's (and sometimes company's) songwriting. Kind of disappointing really hope their next album isn't just about lust and thrust.

This is where the agreements stop hahahaha. 99 Revolutions is another Know Your Enemy, the verses are where the lyrics are, not just the chorus. And lyricism isn't always about meaning, Billie has always been a terrific words smith and he pulls that off well in the Trilogy, especially in how his articulation and verse structure comes off as rhythmic and melodic in a lot of the songs.

And the lyrics of Self-Entitled were terrible in my opinion, or at least not up to par with past albums. Fat Mike had great meanings and messages, but he just shoed them into the songs without any consideration for the song's structure or melody. X-Mas Has Been Xed is the best example of this.

lyrically i'm totally in love with ¡Tré!, Nimrod, American Idiot e 21stCB... there's a part of me there... seems like someone wrote my life..

You can thank Billie for that :thumbsup:

This is where the agreements stop hahahaha. 99 Revolutions is another Know Your Enemy, the verses are where the lyrics are, not just the chorus. And lyricism isn't always about meaning, Billie has always been a terrific words smith and he pulls that off well in the Trilogy, especially in how his articulation and verse structure comes off as rhythmic and melodic in a lot of the songs.

And the lyrics of Self-Entitled were terrible in my opinion, or at least not up to par with past albums. Fat Mike had great meanings and messages, but he just shoed them into the songs without any consideration for the song's structure or melody. X-Mas Has Been Xed is the best example of this.

Yeah you have a good point. And I really don't listen to NOFX all the time so i'm not familiar with specific albums, just songs so you probably know way more of what you're talking about than me xD

Favorites aside, 21CB and American Idiot are miles away the best. Hard to argue that.

As for my favorites, American Idiot edges out Warning and 21CB purely due to the fact that it has Jesus Of Suburbia.

I guess I'd never really thought about how lyrically fantastic Insomniac was until I read through this thread. That being said, it's a struggle for me to pick between American Idiot, 21st Century Breakdown and Insomniac.

This is a tough one... American Idiot or 21st Century Breakdown

I like the melodies better on AI, but I feel like the lyrics were better on 21st CB

It changes, but I consistently love Insomniac's lyrics. I forgot how great of a song Brat is, even if it just a nonsense sort of song about a jerk.

That's a tough choice.. but I think it's either Insomniac, American Idiot, 21st Century Breakdown or iTré! for me. Can't decide between those, though :)

The trilogy.

Naw, I'm kidding. :P Definitely American Idiot. 21CB is good, but "I've got a really bad disease…" makes me cringe every time I listen to Restless Heart Syndrome. While American Idiot (to me) feels naturally expressive and poetic, I've always thought 21CB seemed a bit forced. All albums have their moments because BJA is a great lyricist but American Idiot is overall the strongest for me. :)

That was spot on

A big part of why Green Day are my favourite band are the lyrics. Billie's got a way of playing with words that can have me bouncing with joy, and his descriptions of emotion are simple yet utterly brilliant, and very, very relatable.

Just as with the music, I think all of the albums are fantastic lyrically - but I will always state American Idiot as my favourite. It's the one record that I feel really defines all of me.

(The weakest records in my opinion are ¡Uno! and ¡Dos!, simply because there's not much I can relate to there.)

There are lyrics in each album that I can connect with on a more personal level, one of the main reasons I love these guys. I'd say as a whole, American Idiot. At the moment, Tre has a good amount of lyrics for me to latch on to aswell :P

• 3 weeks later...

American Idiot and 21st CB for sure. To me Warning's got some important lyrics.
The trilogy is disappointing on that point though.

It's hard, most albums are lyrically genius. I think Insimniac has the best lyrics, because they have very spot-on amazing phrases like 'the world is a sick machine breeding a mass of shit' or 'Mom and Dad don't look so hot these days they're getting over the hill'. Then also AI and 21st CB are such masterpieces in lyrics, and I think everyone agrees here.

Billie is such a genius lyricist. Every album from Kerplunk through 21CB is amazing in its own way. Picking a favorite is so difficult but I'll say AI because of the wa those lyrics impacted me. But at the same time I would really love to see BJ return to the story-telling song format of Warning. Bob Dylan had an incredible impact on Billie's story creation abilities and while I love the story albums I am hoping he finds his way back to story songs because I don't think he managed it with the Trilogy. But don't get me wrong there are some awesome lyrics in the Trilogy, just not every line of every songs, which is something that Billie is capable of.

Probably Insomniac for me. You can tell how angry the band were from the lyrics, and Billie's way of describing things is brilliant on that album.

American Idiot but 21st Century Breakdown is close second! I can't really decide between these 2 :lol:

Archived