Favorite album lyrically?

PursuitOfEpicness

It is hard to pick but i will go with my favourites albums Nimrod, Insomniac and Kerplunk! (not in any order) yeah..

but at the same time im not sure cause there are lots of good lyrics in different songs...it would be easier if i had to pick some lyric from each album....lol im just kidding, i think it would be the same :D:shy:

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest RedStrokes
I'll never understand the complaints with the trilogy's lyrics. The only song that comes off to me as having bad lyrics is Fell For You. Maybe Drama Queen, but it's a good metaphor. I don't really have a favorite, to me they're all mostly good, from 1000 Hours to Tre. Insomniac and Dookie really standout to me though.
Gasps. You don't like drama queen? And I thought you had good taste ;) kidding, but seriously to quote drumdreez
American Idiot :wub: That shit's deep, dude.

21 century breakdown! American idiot a very close second! Billie joe is a fucking genius when it comes to lyric writing. Especially on those albums. The trilogy lyrics lacked a lot in my opinion. But what the hay.. Good music nonetheless

American Idiot all the way, it is beautifully written and it flows perfectly. American Idiot for me, is that kind of album that you fall in love with every time you listen to it, and you keep finding new things in the lyric's meaning that you haven’t realized before.

Gasps. You don't like drama queen? And I thought you had good taste ;) kidding, but seriously to quote drumdreez

Drama Queen is a good song, but it's probably one of the my least favorites from the trilogy. I don't know why, when it comes on I listen to it fine but I never seek it out like I seek out other songs.

So hard to choose between 21stCB and American Idiot. Both have a well written story and great lyrics. But I also like the lyrics of Dookie, Insomniac and Nimrod because they're so down-to-earth, simple and easy to figure out.

I absolutely adore the lyrics on Warning and American Idiot. Songs like 'Hold On', 'Misery',

'Minority', 'Macy's Day Parade', 'Jesus of Suburbia' and 'Letterbomb' just hit home with me. I also like the lyrics in Dookie as they're funny and relatable!

I enjoyed the trilogy, but found a lot of the lyrics repetitive or cringey, like in 'Let Yourself Go', 'Kill the DJ', 'Fuck Time', 'Nightlife', 'Drama Queen', 'Sex, Drugs & Violence' and 'The Forgotten'.

However, I found some songs like 'Ashley', 'Brutal Love', 'X-Kid', and (most of) 'Dirty Rotten Bastards' to be quite lyrically impressive. Kerplunk was also good. Nimrod was up and down.

21st Century Breakdown, no question about that. The lyrics are mostly the reason it's my favourite GD album. Billie really was at the peak of his greatest songwriting on there.

Almost every single song has that one great line that Billie probably built the rest of the song upon, but for a song to be coherently good it takes more than good songwriting skills and creativity, it takes an accidently spark of pure inspiration, and I think that American Idiot is the only album that feels like a complete piece of lyrical magic compared to just good songwriting.

As much as I hate it I don't think anything Green Day does from now on will top it for me. Even though I've said other albums to be my favorite through the years, first Insomniac when I was 15, Warning when I was 18, and now the overall trilogy with Tré as the main trigger, I have to remember that I favorited American Idiot at an age where I couldn't fully appreciate the lyrics (12-14) and now I know them too well to get excited, but it is some kind of foundation for my whole fandom, so perhaps it has its own place in my heart beyond everything else. It's also a good way to keep an open mind to Green Day older and newer material.

lyrically i'm totally in love with ¡Tré!, Nimrod, American Idiot e 21stCB... there's a part of me there... seems like someone wrote my life..

The trilogy has a number of lines that sound like they were written by a kid in high school learning to write songs. We haven't heard that from him since, well, he was just out of high school learning to write songs. There's also too many where he "rhymes" with the same word. Don't expect it to be a popular opinion but it's something you feel when listening to a song, a kind of "ugh, is that really all he could come up with". But then that comes back to the quality control argument.

Oooooh, so difficult to choose one album when certain individual songs can be so strong. East Jesus Nowhere is so original and brilliantly written. The Grouch is so funny and tragic at the same time - a masterpiece. And, even just one line: Fucked without a kiss again" sums up so many marriages that I can think of. Just that line is inspired. But, for originality and just just sheer impact and brilliance, it has to be American Idiot. A magnum opus.

The entire Insomniac album is lyrically fantastic, especially parts like:
Armatage Shanks:

"Stranded... lost inside myself
My own worst friend
And my own closest enemy
Elected the rejected
I perfect the science of the idiot
I must insist
On being a pessimist
I'm a loner in a catastrophic mind
I'm getting pissed
I'm a worthless pessimist
I'm a loner in a claustrophobic mind"

Stuck with Me:

"I'm not part of your elite

I'm just alright
Class structure waving colors
Bleeding from my throat
Not subservient to you I'm just alright
Down classed by the powers that be
Give me loss of hope"

Geek Stink Breath:

"Wish in one hand and shit in the other

And see which one gets filled first" (favourite lyrics ever) xD

No Pride:

"You better swallow your pride

Or you're gonna choke on it
You better digest your values
Because they turn to shit
Honor's gonna knock you down
Before your chance to stand up and fight
I know I'm not the one
I got no pride"

Bab's Uvula Who? (this whole song is full of outstanding lyrics):

"I've got a knack for fucking everything up

My temper flies and I get myself all wound up
My fuse is short and my blood pressure is high
I lose control and I get myself all wound up
Tension mounts and I fly off the wall
I self-destruct and I get myself all wound up
Petulance and irritation set in
I throw a tantrum and I get myself all wound up"

...and who can forget Platypus? :P

American Idiot by far (JoS, Letterbomb... wonderful)

Then I guess Insomniac would be second place. You can feel the confusion haha

And to finish the podium... 21CB (Maybe you're the runner up, but the first one to lose the race. AWESOME)

This is a really tough question, for me, I feel really identified with Nimrod (Specially walking alone, redundant, and scattered) and with American Idiot, songs like Homecoming, Whatsername, Idk it's just hard to choose only one :mellow:

21st Century Breakdown has the best lyrics for me. Sometimes it may seem muddled, but I don't know, every song (except for KYE and Christian's Inferno) has either really great and fitting or just simply beautiful lyrics. Before The Lobotomy, 21st Century Breakdown, Restless Heart Syndrome, American Eulogy, East Jesus Nowhere... all some of the best songs BJA has ever penned.

Actually it's funny, I really like KYE's lyrics. I think once you get past Billie repeating himself the other lyrics beside just "do you know your enemy?" are gold. They're so overlooked. Like they actually have a lot of meaning, "Silence is the enemy against your urgency so rally up the demons of your soul" gets me every time.

Silence really is the enemy if you think about it, where would be in history if we were silent and didn't rebel? The song means a lot it's just the annoying repetitiveness makes it so underrated.

lol.

i love all of those albums musically (1039/smoothed out slappy hours is one of my favorite albums), but lyrically? the first album is just on big love song to me. (an kind of cheezy sometimes).

best lyrics: on first position by far: insomniac (overall best) and 2nd: 21st century breakdown (musically second weakest just before uno). for all you kind people i might add: in my opinion.

favorite quotes:

"no cultures worth a stream of piss or bullet in my face" (no pride)

"today's the macy's day parade

the night of the living dead is on its way

with a credit report for duty call" (so their best political song is neither on AI or 21stcbd...: macys day parade)

"Billboard on the rise in the dawn's landscape

Working your insanity

Tragic a la madness and concrete

Coca-Cola execution" (static age. sad thing here: their behaviour is nowadays part of what they critisize in those lyrics)

Love those lyrics myself! I think Insomniac has such creative lyrics!

I'll never understand the complaints with the trilogy's lyrics. The only song that comes off to me as having bad lyrics is Fell For You. Maybe Drama Queen, but it's a good metaphor.

I don't really have a favorite, to me they're all mostly good, from 1000 Hours to Tre. Insomniac and Dookie really standout to me though.

I like Drama Queen musically. It reminds me of Zooey Deschanel's cover of "Sugar Town" from 500 Days of Summer. But the whole "She's old enough to bleed now" lyric makes me really uncomfortable. I'm probably taking it all wrong and being stupid and it probably means she's old enough to get hurt emotionally. But, yeah you probably know what i'm getting at :lol:

it's really hard to pick... so i won't as Green Day lyrics have always been amazing, whether in simple fast songs or long complicated songs. AI and Insomniac are my favourite albums and both have really good examples of this.

21st Century Breakdown has some really considered and purposeful lyrics - i love the poetry at the start of Before the Lobotomy, for example

Actually it's funny, I really like KYE's lyrics. I think once you get past Billie repeating himself the other lyrics beside just "do you know your enemy?" are gold. They're so overlooked. Like they actually have a lot of meaning, "Silence is the enemy against your urgency so rally up the demons of your soul" gets me every time.

Silence really is the enemy if you think about it, where would be in history if we were silent and didn't rebel? The song means a lot it's just the annoying repetitiveness makes it so underrated.

Oh man this. Everyone always berates this song's chorus, and I find myself dumbstruck that nobody has ever heard the verses. They're are fucking excellent.

Archived