Favorite album lyrically?

PursuitOfEpicness

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lyrically Insomniac for sure. Really dark and angry.

"Standing on the corner of

Stuart and the Avenue
Ripping up my transfer
And a photograph of you
You're a blur of my dead past and rotting existance
As I stand laughing on the corner of insignificance"

The story of 21st Century Breakdown is very well written. For that reason I choose 21st CB

Obviously American Idiot would be one of them. I also really like Insomniac lyrically, the lyrics are so dark.

I have to say Warning. American Idiot is great in most parts, too, but in some cases *coughLetterbombcough* you can see the slow decay into word salad territory that continued in 21CB and is all over the trilogy. Warning is just so diverse, it all makes sense, and it contains some of the only third-person storytelling Billie's ever done in the amazing "Misery".

Definitely American Idiot, when you think about it there's so much potential for that kind of album to go wrong. You can over indulge in metaphors, take yourself too seriously, have a story that doesn't actually mean anything. All these criticisms are why 21st Century Breakdown sucks lyrically. But American Idiot gets everything just about note perfect, thanks to the character of St. Jimmy providing a dark anarchic sense of humour to the whole thing.

Also Insomniac, it's very well written. Self-loathing and world weary anger in equal measure, so many stand out lines.

New Album.

21st Century Breakdown Next In Line,American idiot.

21st Century is not my favorite album to listen to overall,but I have to admit it has one of the strongest lyrics I ever heard in my life. (Not counting "Know Your Enemy" Most songs give me goosebumps (Ex: Last Night On Earth,and Restless Heart Syndrome)

American Idiot? Still has some good lyrics,but 21st Century Breakdown is more...how should I put it..Emotional.Though American Idiot has meaningful lyrics,it lacks more emotion than 21st Century breakdown displayed. (Ex:Holiday,Boulevard,Jesus of Suburbia,Homecoming)

Old:

Kerplunk,Next in line Probably Dookie.

Kerplunk proves to the world Billie is a damn genius,(Ex: No One Knows),it shows he can not only put 4 chords together and make

a sexy sounding song,but that these songs come from the heart.

Dookie...Is one of the reasons originally why Green Day is famous..not only because it sounded "Good" but People were able to relate to Green Day with Dookie. (Example: Coming Clean) So when people fell in love with Dookie..It's lyrics with the sexy sounding songs made them blast into popularity.

I really like Uno and Tre lyrically. Dos has some good songs, lyrically Lazy Bones is awesome. It's a real 'head fuck' song like Basket Case, brain stew

Breakdown has awesome lyrics, Idiot is great, and actually Warning is quite good

Although a lot of people are bashing the trilogies lyrics, i think they have some great moments, x-kid and lazy bones are 2 of Billie Joe's best songs lyrically of his entire career (IMO). On the other hand there are songs like nightlife and make out party which are really nothing special. Overall i think Kerplunk is really good and underrated and of course AI.

21st Century Breakdown is what comes to mind as a whole. The lyrics are just amazing and beautifully written. And agreed that Tre! is masterfully written as well. That said, I am such a fan of Billie's writing in general. Pretty much all Green Day songs have this fantastic mix of being down-to-earth and clever at the same time. I have always loved how Billie does not use big words or flowery language, and yet his lyrics are able to resonate with listeners on a deeper level.

"Billboard on the rise in the dawn's landscape

Working your insanity

Tragic a la madness and concrete

Coca-Cola execution" (static age. sad thing here: their behaviour is nowadays part of what they critisize in those lyrics)

Well Billie did call himself a "walking contradiction".

21st Century Breakdown and American Idiot, definitely. their lyrics are just.... incredible. I love all their albums lyrically though. Warning, Kerplunk, Tré and 1039 are really great.

even if American Idiot has Jesus of Suburbia, my favorite is 21cb. The lyrics are great in songs like 21 guns, VivaLaGloria Little Girl, and even East Jesus Nowhere.

Definitely American Idiot and Warning. While several songs on 21CB have fantastic lyrics, some of them I feel are trying a bit too hard.

Gonna go with Nimrod. It was the first time I really took notice of their lyrics and thought "Holy shit, this is some great songwriting"

Gotta go with American Idiot. A big part of my choice is from Jesus of Suburbia & Homecoming that are awesome. Billie said that JoS is the best song he ever wrote.

39, and Kerplunk because i can relate to them most as i spent most of my teenage years listening to them and still do as a young adult. Certain tracks stand out on all the albums though to me especially Insomniac... walking contradiction, geek stink breath, stuch with me, the group, haushinka, all the time etc.

The lyrics are great in songs like 21 guns

Which ones? The one where it's a cliche or the one where it's a cliche?

Guest RedStrokes

Green days lyrics are a major reason I'm a fan. I love the lyrics to good riddance, my favorite all around song.

"Another turning point a fork stuck In the road, time grabs you by the wrist directs you where to go" I mean how much more pure and honest can you get?

The lyrics to 1039 are also fantastic, especially considering how young Billie was.

But all around I think American idiot was the best lyrically.

"I'm the son of rage and love, the Jesus of suburbia, from the bible of none of thee above"

Just fucking gorgeous that song is.

"Everyone is so full of shit, born and raised by hypocrites, hearts recycled but never saved, from the cradle to the grave"

"to fall in love and fall in debt, To alcohol and cigarettes,and Mary Jane to keep me insane"

"and there's nothing wrong with me this is how I'm supposed to be"

Jesus of suburbia to this day takes my breath away

Insomniac I reckon, Armatage Shanks is awesome "Stranded, lost inside myself, my own worst friend and my own closest enemy, I'm branded, maladjusted, never trusted anyone let alone myself"

Walking Contradiction is great how all the lines can point to Green Day's success and how Billie is the contradiction, and their sort of cool one-liners as well lol

Stuck with me, 86, Brain Stew are all fantastic as well

Do Da Da should have been on Insomniac!!!

I'll never understand the complaints with the trilogy's lyrics. The only song that comes off to me as having bad lyrics is Fell For You. Maybe Drama Queen, but it's a good metaphor.

I don't really have a favorite, to me they're all mostly good, from 1000 Hours to Tre. Insomniac and Dookie really standout to me though.

Archived