Why is Dookie such a huge success?

Drop Dead Hideous

It's the sound. It's clean but loud, distorted but neat. That type of dry, sonic, audiophile production has always made records sound good, whether it be Metallica's Black Album, The Red Hot Chili Pepper's Blood Sex Sugar Magic, Black Sabbath's Paranoid, Sex Pistol's Never Mind The Bollocks, Foo Fighter's Wasting Light, Nirvana's Nevermind, etc.

Also the song writing is really fuckin' cash.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
come on really? you were 4 y/o you weren't old enough to know either one's music back then. so don't put this long rant. and you don't know what a great loss Kurt was to the music world. and i was saying for me....not the nation

Soooo you missed the part where I ASKED because I WAS 4 years old if it was all the Nirvana fans that channeled their depression into embracing Green Day. I didn't say Kurt's death wasn't a loss to the world, I said it doesn't have to be main reason Dookie succeeded. It's not like he died and then BOOM Green Day took off. Green Day's success was a slow building, hard work effort that benefited mostly from MTV playing their music videos, the publicity of Woodstock and whatnot. They were new and interesting, and MTV embraced that.

Also, there's a difference between a "rant" and a "musing" which is what my post was. I have no agenda against Kurt Cobain being the cause of Dookie's success, but I do want to complicate it because I think it's really narrow to give all the credit to that as some people do.

I'm not saying Kurt death is the only reason to but it did play a part to it

Mtv wasnt really playing Longview until after Kurt died same with Bush and Comedown

Of course Dookie is a good album and Woodstock helped

Of course not alot of people were old enough or alive when Dookie came out so they cant really speak why except for what they read up on

OK. Since you said so. -.-

Were you around to experience 94 and how music was in 94?

Because of the period of time it came out in and because every track besides "In the End" is top notch.

Because of the period of time it came out in and because every track besides "In the End" is top notch.

Meh. If you say so

Awww, I love that song, if only because it's a "fuck you mom" song :P

Emenius Sleepus is the only song that does nothing for me.

I think when you get down to it, the album really is THAT GOOD [for people growing up]. When I heard it the first time my mind was blown. And I had no preconception of it having been on MTV ten years prior or whatever. It has succeeded in the long run now, for new generations, and that in and of itself is a testament to its brilliance. Maybe all those timely factors in 94 were the reason it got big at the time and was introduced to the world so widely, but the fact that people still continued to buy and love it for almost twenty years after is enough to say it was the good music that carried it as far as it got. Maybe that's why the 90's had so many epic one-hit wonders, and Green Day wasn't one of them.

but the fact that people still continued to buy and love it for almost twenty years after is enough to say it was the good music that carried it as far as it got. Maybe that's why the 90's had so many epic one-hit wonders, and Green Day wasn't one of them.

yeah Green Day are not a one hit wonder and no one is trying to say that (or at least I'm not saying that)

My take on it is right place right time. It was the choice material that people were looking for, released at the right time. If that album were released today, I can give you my word it wouldn't do nearly as well. Which is a shame since the album is greatness to me, regardless of time period.

It was perfect for Gen-X, which at the time was taking over the music scene. IMO I think Dookie has what Gen-X was feeling at that point, a shitload of anger and the willingness to challenge authority.....and boredom. :happy:

It was perfect for Gen-X, which at the time was taking over the music scene. IMO I think Dookie has what Gen-X was feeling at that point, a shitload of anger and the willingness to challenge authority.....and boredom. :happy:

well Dookie isnt a challenge authority record...

well Dookie isnt a challenge authority record so you miss with that one

Have you listened to Burnout??? :)

Longview also challenged people's views on masturbation. Billie Joe has said before that that's why the song was initially a success, although no one ever talks about it because no one wants to talk about masturbation.

I think the reason Dookie and American Idiot are seen as the best Green Day albums is simple, they just have more of their best songs on them than any of their other records. The singles certainly helped as well, both records had 5 singles which in comparison to records like Warning or Uno actually used (more or less) the best songs.

LMAO really?

Yes, back then yes. A song like that back in 1994 would have gone off as someone willing to challenge authority. At least that's what I think.

Yes, back then yes. A song like that back in 1994 would have gone off as someone willing to challenge authority. At least that's what I think.

it wasnt at least to no one i knew

but Dookie is still my #2 record of 1994

Guest DisapppearingBoy

That's probably becoz u heard AI way early than Dookie.

I disagree that Dookie and American Idiot are the band's best work. Personally I think, from a musical perspective, Warning is.

That's probably becoz u heard AI way early than Dookie.

Has nothing to do with it. :happy:

I was 17 (and strung out on confusion :) ) when Dookie came out and everyone was so damn depressed and apathetic. Green Day was fun, silly, and never took themselves too seriously. I think Woodstock ( I was there :) ) shot them into super stardom because it showed that they were fun, silly, and never took themselves too seriously.

I think Billie summed it up best in this interview from 1995 (which I practically memorized).

Fast forward to 1:00 when he talks about how they "used to be grunge" and how they realized "there's something that's going to be happening soon...it's gonna get a lot faster!"

I love that line.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/44yk5cNL6FA

Guest lauraGDlover

burnout is so not an anti authority song. none of em are. Dookie is about your carefree days of hs and before your real life starts. at least that's what it means to me and my interpretation of it.

Dookie isn't a challenge to ACTUAL authority, but it definitely gives off the "fuck your parents and fuck society and fuck everyone and just be yourself" vibe that kids can rally around (Having a Blast, She, parts of When I Come Around, it's all very "I don't need you," and pro independence, and even if it's about a girl or whatever, it gets kids thinking "Yeah, I don't need _____, so fuck them!"). It's like training wheels for the anti-establishment, just like people consider Green Day the mall version of punk. It gets people thinking on a surface level about issues, and if you want to get more detailed and anarchist about it, you can delve into some other bands. Dookie did a good job of introducing that concept to people who can then run with it.

Dookie isn't a challenge to ACTUAL authority, but it definitely gives off the "fuck your parents and fuck society and fuck everyone and just be yourself" vibe that kids can rally around. It's like training wheels for the anti-establishment, just like people consider Green Day the mall version of punk. It gets people thinking on a surface level about issues, and if you want to get more detailed and anarchist about it, you can delve into some other bands. Dookie did a good job of introducing that concept to people who can then run with it.

The real interpretation of Dookie. Put all the others to shame. :D

Archived