Why is Dookie such a huge success?

Drop Dead Hideous

Because :

-1st major label release

-a lot of promotion on MTV

-every song on the record should have been singles and had all music videos.

- the Woodstock performance

- the interviews that they did during this year

- punk attitude was back, just after grunge

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In all honesty, it's just another Green Day album to me.....nothing special really.

The reason it done so well in 1994 was because grunge died and punk was back. Leading onto people talking about and buying the record.

Sadly, it is something for punk purists to relate back to "Dookie was punk" that sort of shit, I'm just like "Get the fuck out".

It's a thing with many artists that their debut album is always a commercial sucess.Look at Linkin Park.After Hybrid Theory's massive sucess, they backed it up with only two good albums, nowhere close to hybrid theory.There are many artists like that-50 cent, john mayer, weezer, blink 182(considering that enema of the state was their first highly recognised album) to name a few.Albums following dookie may be better, but the public relates an artist with their debut album.

Because it came out at the right time. A time when distorted guitars were the shit. A time when the teens needed another band, now that Nirvana was no longer, that they could relate to. It's all in the timing. Same goes for the success of American Idiot.

• Perfect singles choices
  • Released when Kurt Cobain died, and this basically is the reason of the explosion of this new style
  • IT'S FUCKING GREAT
  • Woodstock helped
  • Cover that attracts peolpe, and this may help, I know a girl that got into GD because Dookie's cover intrigued her :D
  • They signed with the Warner Bros, an important label.
  • MTV helped a lot

Enough?

Guest lauraGDlover

Yeah i agree with you all. I know for me when Kurt died I needed something to fill my heart with joy. And I found Dookie. for sure though if Kurt hadn't passed and they kept releasing Green Day would not have the huge following until the released AI. IJS

so we can all agree that mr. cobain's death was a good thing?

hell no it wasnt a good thing we lost Nirvana

I know Billie once expressed resentment when he saw the Behind the Music or whatever that painted Green Day's good fortune as a product of Cobain's death creating a hole in the music world. As much as this makes sense in a historical sense, it's hard to picture it really playing out like that. Think about the music that randomly gets big... it's because there's a hit single that people really rally around, and then they buy the album and the rest of the songs succeed. It may be part of a genre movement, but I don't think that's the reason for its success.

I saw a special saying there wouldn't be an Adele without Amy Winehouse bring that kind of soul back into pop. I don't think that's the case, one artist's death doesn't necessarily create this gaping hole that will be automatically filled. It just doesn't make sense. Songs that are hits on the radio right now are hits because people like the songs. If the songs weren't worthy (or deemed worthy by a certain demographic), they wouldn't succeed.

In other words, if Nirvana lived on through 94 and 95, I think Dookie would have done just as well.

C'mon, if Green Day tragically died tomorrow, I don't think most of us would feel the need to "fill that void" with whatever new punkish rockish band came on the radio to replace them. If anything we'd be shouting "This is nothing compared to Green Day." On that note (seeing as I was 4 years old at the time), was it even the Nirvana fans/grunge movement crowd that *became* the pop punk fans of the 90s? I'm not sure that it was. I know plenty of Nirvana fans who don't have any interest in Green Day.

Let's say for argument's sake I'm a Lady Gaga fan, and she stopped making music. I'm not going to start listening to more Katy Perry to make up for it, I'll listen to the same amount of Katy Perry I would have regardless.

Songs that are hits on the radio right now are hits because people like the songs.

nope, people like the songs because they are hits on the radio right now.

Nirvana's death made way for alot of bands to make it big including Green Day...

the scene back then was alot different escp with how it's made out to be

Green Day hit the mainstream at the right time with the right album at the right time...

Guest DisapppearingBoy

What really happened was that Kurt listened Dookie. It blew his mind n couldn't resist so killed himself. lol

What really happened was that Kurt listened Dookie. It blew his mind n couldn't resist so killed himself. lol

lol

cause Kurt Cobain killed himself otherwise alot of bands wouldn't had made it

Kurt Cobain is the Jesus of rock :sherlock:

He died so that other bands could suceed.

He is a martyr and a hero

Perhaps the title caught a massive attention.

I don't know. I'd have like to be there when this album came out; 'cause it's not the same listening to it 13 years later and after American Idiot. It's a great album and I love it but I can't really identify myself with some songs like I do with 1039/Smooth or Insomniac.

Also, it could be because it was the first time lots of people knew about this awesome band, called Green Day :)

Guest lauraGDlover
hell no it wasnt a good thing we lost Nirvana

f*** no it was not a good thing. Nirvana was awesome!!!!

Perhaps the title caught a massive attention.

I don't know. I'd have like to be there when this album came out; 'cause it's not the same listening to it 13 years later and after American Idiot. It's a great album and I love it but I can't really identify myself with some songs like I do with 1039/Smooth or Insomniac.

Also, it could be because it was the first time lots of people knew about this awesome band, called Green Day :)

it hit home for me cause i was 13 14 y/o old when dookie came out. so i related ALOT the the songs and still do. it is my top fav. i didn't have a second fav till TRE came out

I know Billie once expressed resentment when he saw the Behind the Music or whatever that painted Green Day's good fortune as a product of Cobain's death creating a hole in the music world. As much as this makes sense in a historical sense, it's hard to picture it really playing out like that. Think about the music that randomly gets big... it's because there's a hit single that people really rally around, and then they buy the album and the rest of the songs succeed. It may be part of a genre movement, but I don't think that's the reason for its success.

I saw a special saying there wouldn't be an Adele without Amy Winehouse bring that kind of soul back into pop. I don't think that's the case, one artist's death doesn't necessarily create this gaping hole that will be automatically filled. It just doesn't make sense. Songs that are hits on the radio right now are hits because people like the songs. If the songs weren't worthy (or deemed worthy by a certain demographic), they wouldn't succeed.

In other words, if Nirvana lived on through 94 and 95, I think Dookie would have done just as well.

C'mon, if Green Day tragically died tomorrow, I don't think most of us would feel the need to "fill that void" with whatever new punkish rockish band came on the radio to replace them. If anything we'd be shouting "This is nothing compared to Green Day." On that note (seeing as I was 4 years old at the time), was it even the Nirvana fans/grunge movement crowd that *became* the pop punk fans of the 90s? I'm not sure that it was. I know plenty of Nirvana fans who don't have any interest in Green Day.

Let's say for argument's sake I'm a Lady Gaga fan, and she stopped making music. I'm not going to start listening to more Katy Perry to make up for it, I'll listen to the same amount of Katy Perry I would have regardless.

come on really? you were 4 y/o you weren't old enough to know either one's music back then. so don't put this long rant. and you don't know what a great loss Kurt was to the music world. and i was saying for me....not the nation

it hit home for me cause i was 13 14 y/o old when dookie came out. so i related ALOT the the songs and still do. it is my top fav. i didn't have a second fav till TRE came out

I had the same age when I listened to it for the first time, and I think the only song I could relate to, at the moment, was Burnout.

And TRÉ is your 2nd favorite? Cool! :happy:

Dookie would have been popular even if Kurt was alive. Let's be real people.

No it probally wouldn't have been

Archived