Why is Dookie such a huge success?

Drop Dead Hideous

LMAO yall are going wayyy to deep into meaning of Dookie...

there is absolutely nothing anti establishment in the album Dookie

just a fun care free album with great songs

now I will say Insomniac was their step into going into anti establishment songs

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh yeah and speaking of Lollapalooza and Woodstock 94, being stupid (like most--not all--17 year olds are) I playfully threw a water bottle at Billy Corgan that barely got near him and he threatened to end the show and kick my ass.

I playfully threw a pile of mud at Billie at Woodstock and he threw it back. Then he rolled in it. Then he ate it.

I knew from that moment I liked Green Day, and Smashing Pumpkins were a bunch of no fun duds who stared at their shoes while playing their guitars.

LMAO yall are going wayyy to deep into meaning of Dookie...

there is absolutely nothing anti establishment in the album Dookie

just a fun care free album with great songs

That's your opinion dude. We all interpret Dookie differently, nothing wrong with that. :)

Oh yeah and speaking of Lollapalooza and Woodstock 94, being stupid (like most--not all--17 year olds are) I playfully threw a water bottle at Billy Corgan that barely got near him and he threatened to end the show and kick my ass.

I playfully threw a pile of mud at Billie at Woodstock and he threw it back. Then he rolled in it. Then he ate it.

I knew from that moment I liked Green Day, and Smashing Pumpkins were a bunch of no fun duds who stared at their shoes while playing their guitars.

you threw a water bottle at Billy "i think my music is more deeper than it really is" Corgan

you're now my hero

the rest of SP are real nice and cool but Billy is a fucking douchebag

Guest lauraGDlover

get ai and 21cb outta your damn heads and look at dookie for what it is. a carefree fun album about smoking pot and fondling yourself for the hell of it cause there is nothing better to do. just cause they came out with those 2 albums as their way to say FOD to Bush does not mean all their albums are anti authority. get over yourselves ppl. you young ppl don't know anything about dookie and what it really means and you never will.

Guest DisapppearingBoy

get ai and 21cb outta your damn heads and look at dookie for what it is. a carefree fun album about smoking pot and fondling yourself for the hell of it cause there is nothing better to do. just cause they came out with those 2 albums as their way to say FOD to Bush does not mean all their albums are anti authority. get over yourselves ppl. you young ppl don't know anything about dookie and what it really means and you never will.

Ha! then u know nothing what it was like to be born around in 1994.

Wow how rude you are. We don't know the meaning of a music album because some of us happen to be younger than you???? I don't understand that. It does sound incredibly egotistical though. ;)

Guest lauraGDlover
Wow how rude you are. We don't know the meaning of a music album because some of us happen to be younger than you???? I don't understand that. It does sound incredibly egotistical though.

you and someone else are trying to make dookie more than what it is....i'm just stating what the album means.

Ha! then u know nothing what it was like to be born around in 1994.

wth does that have to do with anything i was 13 in 94....

i'm just stating what the album means.

That's not all you stated in that post. ;)

Guest lauraGDlover
That's not all you said in that post ;)

oh well we all have our opinions but you guys were getting way of track with dookie and it's meaning.

get ai and 21cb outta your damn heads and look at dookie for what it is. a carefree fun album about smoking pot and fondling yourself for the hell of it cause there is nothing better to do. just cause they came out with those 2 albums as their way to say FOD to Bush does not mean all their albums are anti authority.

This part you remembered.

get over yourselves ppl. you young ppl don't know anything about dookie and what it really means and you never will.

This part...you...forgot about?

;)

you're so lucky you've been able to see them in 1994. I wasn't even born when Dookie came out haha

as for the meaning anyone is open to have thier own thoughts on what it means to me it just a good care free album

as why it took off no one can really say for sure

but I stand by Cobain's passing played a part be it small or large (and GD wasnt the only band that had benefited from it) and really if you werent a teen or adult in 1994 you really dont really understand how the music was in those days cant understand the "i dont see how the death of one person can affect another band" but it's difficult to explain how

but regardless Dookie is an excellent album which propelled a great band to stardom which thankfully has lasted for 20 years

as for the meaning anyone is open to have thier own thoughts on what it means to me it just a good care free album

as why it took off no one can really say for sure

but I stand by Cobain's passing played a part be it small or large (and GD wasnt the only band that had benefited from it) and really if you werent a teen or adult in 1994 you really dont really understand how the music was in those days cant understand the "i dont see how the death of one person can affect another band" but it's difficult to explain how

but regardless Dookie is an excellent album which propelled a great band to stardom which thankfully has lasted for 20 years

Its the 2nd album I listened to after AI. It was my first taste of "old school" Green Day. :)

Guest lauraGDlover
The first part was an honest interpretation.

The second part was.....

oh my jeepers really?!? you were 4 y/o too when everything big happened in 94. you didn't have a grasp on how the music was to a teenager at that time and what Dookie meant to them is all i'm saying.

Guest lauraGDlover

I hated ur post. I wonder if u cared for them after Dookie was over or waited till AI. U're older than us doesn't mean Dookie sounds different. It's the same goddam record.

I hated ur post. I wonder if u cared for them after Dookie was over or waited till AI. U're older than us doesn't mean Dookie sounds different. It's the same goddam record.

Was that you that throwed mud on his guitar ?

Wow, you're the most lucky guy on the whole planet :D Woodstock and Lollapalooza !

Oh guys, don't even get me started lol. Dookie is the soundtrack of my life. It's like the Beatles White album of my generation or something. I was 15-16 years old when it came out and it changed my life. I had never heard anything like it before. The sound was totally new to me. I became obsessed with Basket Case and the rest of the album. It just totally spoke to me as a teenager at that time. It's crazy how fast time flies. Feels like yesterday I was watching Green Day Jaded in Chicago live concert in 94, recording it on VHS, pausing, rewinding, trying to learn the chords to the songs, no fucking internet making life too easy and anti social lol...and now 17 or something years have gone by and I'm a grown man and they are 40, jesus christ what happened!....just walking down memory lane, sorry about that :D

I love the cover art, their style at that time, the rawness, the simplicity of the songs. Things were easy, happy, light hearted. To me this is and always will be the very best album in history, no competition. I mean, you're 15 years old, you've been listening to Twisted Sister, Kiss, fucking Vanilla Ice and KrisKross your whole life and these guys come along and the guitars and drums are burning, the energy is immense, it's like a fucking orgasm in your ears and the first words go "I declare I don't care no more"...that's it...life will never be the same.

Guest lauraGDlover

you gotta admit their songs come alive and are 10 times better in concert. tg for youtube to rock out to just about every night. listening to paint factory now and jaded is great. but irving plaza is on top of my list then edgefest. wow great set there

Oh guys, don't even get me started lol. Dookie is the soundtrack of my life. It's like the Beatles White album of my generation or something. I was 15-16 years old when it came out and it changed my life. I had never heard anything like it before. The sound was totally new to me. I became obsessed with Basket Case and the rest of the album. It just totally spoke to me as a teenager at that time. It's crazy how fast time flies. Feels like yesterday I was watching Green Day Jaded in Chicago live concert in 94, recording it on VHS, pausing, rewinding, trying to learn the chords to the songs, no fucking internet making life too easy and anti social lol...and now 17 or something years have gone by and I'm a grown man and they are 40, jesus christ what happened!....just walking down memory lane, sorry about that :D

I love the cover art, their style at that time, the rawness, the simplicity of the songs. Things were easy, happy, light hearted. To me this is and always will be the very best album in history, no competition. I mean, you're 15 years old, you've been listening to Twisted Sister, Kiss, fucking Vanilla Ice and KrisKross your whole life and these guys come along and the guitars and drums are burning, the energy is immense, it's like a fucking orgasm in your ears and the first words go "I declare I don't care no more"...that's it...life will never be the same.

and my love of dookie is just about the same if not more thans yours :P

I am wondering though, which was the more successful period for Green Day, out if the Dookie and American Idiot eras? I obviously wasn't around during the Dookie era, but I can clearly remember that Green Day were getting a huge amount of exposure around 2005. They were probably the biggest band in the world at that time. We all know that Dookie was a massive success, but did the band have the same exposure to the general public in 1994-95 that they did in 2004-05?

Archived